HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter traded to Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

vCash: 500
Oh wow! Didn't see this coming. Sucks for us.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

If Statsny gets traded to LA or Vancouver like rumored... we maybe in a lot of trouble...

LA would be better, Nucks better, Jackets better, and oh wait now they Avs would have a goalie...

This is why I sometimes wish poile would have the testicular fortitude to make a big splash. Fisher was a nice splash, but Fisher is a no name (and rightfully so) compared to Statsny or Carter.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
Me thinks it's make or break time in Columbus, sort of like when Leipold went and got Forsberg. Deep playoff run or it's off to northern pastures.

How can they afford the contracts of Nash, Carter, and Umberger long term if they keep averaging 13k per night?
I could see the owners looking to get out if this doesn't start to turn things around for the BJs, but I don't think that necessarily means relocation. Columbus is a solid market. They just need a well-run organization to fully exploit it. Easier said than done, though

edit: Viqsi, maybe you can shed some light for me. Isn't Columbus losing money? If so, how do you see this Carter deal affecting that?

Last edited by TMI: 06-23-2011 at 10:08 PM.
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
If Statsny gets traded to LA or Vancouver like rumored... we maybe in a lot of trouble...

LA would be better, Nucks better, Jackets better, and oh wait now they Avs would have a goalie...

This is why I sometimes wish poile would have the testicular fortitude to make a big splash. Fisher was a nice splash, but Fisher is a no name (and rightfully so) compared to Statsny or Carter.
carter has, what, ELEVEN years remaining on hios contract???

thats madness... we are freaking about maybe having to eat 10.5 million on Lombardis deal.... imagine if Carter were to go belly up after two games...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I could see the owners looking to get out if this doesn't start to turn things around for the BJs, but I don't think that necessarily means relocation. Columbus is a very good market. They just need a well-run organization to fully exploit it. Easier said than done, though

edit: Viqsi, maybe you can shed some light for me. Isn't Columbus losing money? If so, how do you see this Carter deal affecting that?

I'm not Viqsi, but I'll chime in. The number reported for last season was a $25 million loss.

I'm less concerned about the Carter deal (since we dropped Clark and Moreau's contracts) than what we may end up paying some free agent defenseman (multiple?) come July 1st. Voracek was due a raise (2.5?) as well. So I think the money on forwards is a bit of a wash.

We did hire Luongo's old goalie coach - so maybe Mason will pull his head out of his butt. But the blue line still needs significant help. We'll have to see what Howson can do.

I think most fans on here were ready to trade the 8th overall pick. For teams (like yours) that usually don't pick that high and have had more success in developing your young talent, that may seem like a horrible idea. But for the CBJ, it was time to make a move and the 8th was a good piece to use.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I'm not Viqsi, but I'll chime in. The number reported for last season was a $25 million loss.

I'm less concerned about the Carter deal (since we dropped Clark and Moreau's contracts) than what we may end up paying some free agent defenseman (multiple?) come July 1st. Voracek was due a raise (2.5?) as well. So I think the money on forwards is a bit of a wash.

We did hire Luongo's old goalie coach - so maybe Mason will pull his head out of his butt. But the blue line still needs significant help. We'll have to see what Howson can do.

I think most fans on here were ready to trade the 8th overall pick. For teams (like yours) that usually don't pick that high and have had more success in developing your young talent, that may seem like a horrible idea. But for the CBJ, it was time to make a move and the 8th was a good piece to use.
It's fine. Viqsi is just the only CBJ fan who frequently posts here.

Trading your first isn't necessarily a horrible idea depending on what you are getting in return. Personally, I think this move isn't that good. Of course, it's early in the off season. Columbus could be going for broke this season, and they may add other significant upgrades. As it stands I have to side with the unimpressed. I just hope our top-4 stay healthy next year so we can contain Carter-Nash. Hey if you guys sign Crosby and move him to wing you'd almost have a folk band line.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I could see the owners looking to get out if this doesn't start to turn things around for the BJs, but I don't think that necessarily means relocation. Columbus is a solid market. They just need a well-run organization to fully exploit it. Easier said than done, though

Ownership has repeatedly stated that if the team improves, they'll deficit spend. They're shockingly awesome like that.

And as cbjgirl pointed out, the money is more or less a wash anyways.

also, I had to drive home SOMEtime, geez

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Ownership has repeatedly stated that if the team improves, they'll deficit spend. They're shockingly awesome like that.

And as cbjgirl pointed out, the money is more or less a wash anyways.

also, I had to drive home SOMEtime, geez
Hey I didn't set a deadline or anything

Old
06-23-2011, 10:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

i know this is sort of wishy-washy, but I wonder if maybe we couldn't have topped that LA offer for Richards. Wilson taking the place of Schenn and...something...in the place of Simmonds, and then one of our seconds?

PredsV...while the idea of Carter getting hurt early on is a little scary, keep in mind that he's likely covered by insurance. The Lombardi situation wouldn't be a big deal if the contract had been insurable. We would happily cash the insurance check and sign someone with that cash. Instead, we have to pay someone that can't play...double whammy.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:42 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i know this is sort of wishy-washy, but I wonder if maybe we couldn't have topped that LA offer for Richards. Wilson taking the place of Schenn and...something...in the place of Simmonds, and then one of our seconds?

PredsV...while the idea of Carter getting hurt early on is a little scary, keep in mind that he's likely covered by insurance. The Lombardi situation wouldn't be a big deal if the contract had been insurable. We would happily cash the insurance check and sign someone with that cash. Instead, we have to pay someone that can't play...double whammy.
well the other factor in that contract is how good will he be in ten years??

and is it frontloaded so he gets 8 mil or something the next few or what?

bottom line is there is no way we could or should have taken on either of those contracts

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Yonder "something" might well have been Erat, since they have a known need for playmaking wingers. They'd probably still take the LA deal, if I had to guess.

Come to think of it, now we do too...

Old
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

bottom line is there is no way we could or should have taken on either of those contracts
Just for reference:

Jeff Carter's contract
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=740

Mike Richards' contract
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=741

Richards has a year at $8.4 and a year at $7.6. Otherwise they aren't terrible considering what you get. I think Richards' would have been hard to take on, though, considering his high end years begin when both Suter and Rinne will see raises.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

I have to agree. We have no business getting in that bidding war. And not just because of the contracts... I don't think Richards is the type of player we should be going after anyway (a 2 way center... we need a "1 way" winger IMO).

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:18 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
So now they have two very good goal scorers and still no one to get them the puck.

(YAWN)

Call me when they get legit D and goaltending.
I agree, nothing to see here. So they will have 1 line. Whoopty do.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

Sorry, but the only way we make a "splash" is to trade either Weber or Suter. Who would you trade for and I'll let you explain on the megatron to the entire arena why you traded a fan favorite.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:45 AM
predfan24

Every year it's the same thing. Somebody from the west adds a hyped up player and everyone freaks out saying Poile needs to answer or somehow that one player will magically lead his team past us. It never usually works out that way though.

Don't get me wrong, Carter makes CBJ better but does he transform them from mediocrity to legit playoff team? I don't know about that. Personally I don't see Carter as an elite center. I still like this move though from them. The fanbase is getting ansy and rightfully so. There is no excuse for them after all these years and early draft picks to not be a more consistent team. At least they showed the fans they weren't going to stand by and try the same thing for another year only to see it fail. I'll admit I get some sort of sick sastification watching the BJ's blow it year after year but there fans deserve better. I'll be rooting for them to make the playoffs this year. Better them than STL that's for sure.

You know Rick Nash is happy. I believe a guy like Brad Richards would have been a much better fit for that team but just the fact that Nash has a 1st line center for the first time in his career has to make him giddy.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
glenngineer

Quote:

LA got better but Columbus didn't get that much better by adding Carter. They have no D and their goalie is a head case. Until they shore up the blue line they are no threat to us. So what if LA got better. They made the playoffs, we did too. When the teams that didn't make the playoffs get better than us then I'll worry more.

Big splashes aren't are they're cracked up to be. We made a big splash with Forsberg and got bounced in 5 games in the playoffs. We made it to the second round of the playoffs this year for the first time and won games in OT and on the road with consistency in the playoffs for once. Slow and steady wins the race. This team is going in the right direction. It may not be at the pace you or I would like but we are progressively getting better. We have great goaltending and defense. We have a solid team game. If we can ever learn how to score on the PP this team would be extremely dangerous. Deals are risks. Do you mess up chemistry? Do you mess up the team concept?

I'll ask a simple question. If you could give Weber and Suter long term deals like Richards and Carter have, who would you rather have for the next 10 years? As much as I like the offense of Richards and Carter, Weber and Suter are as dominant a blue line pairing in the NHL. If we trade for either of those two, we may not be able to keep Suter or Weber and that would be a huge mistake. I would rather have an elite pair on D for 10 years than two guys that are very good players but not elite like Weber or Suter. That's just my take though.

The draft hasn't happened yet and neither has free agency. Until the next few weeks shake out, I'll hold my judgement on what needs to happen. Poile is not a gambler yet he's built a very stabilized franchise with a solid farm system with coaches and players that fit his style. Sure he's made mistakes but his mistakes aren't giant botches that cost the team years in rebuilds. If you had told me we'd be sitting here with the team we have after the Leipold fire sale I would've said you were crazy. The sale of the team would've crippled most franchises yet we survived. I give Poile a ton of credit for that. While he's not a major gambler, he keeps a solid team on the ice year after year and within a budget that allows us to keep our team. We could go out, trade prospects for guys on long term big money contracts and possibly improve or we can continue on the path we're on and get better with our guys. Look at the Rangers. Big salaries, not a lot of home grown talent, not a lot of playoff success as of late or us, lots of home grown talent, salaries that are relatively normal, a team learning to win as a team. I'll take that any day of the week.

I think Holmgren has lost his mind trading Carter and Richards the same day. They needed a goalie but to unload both those guys, I think that was a bold but stupid move.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Jarnberg

Anytime a team in your division adds a 35-45 goal scorer, it does mean something. Carter is an upgrade for their team and they will be better. Does this instantly mean they are better than us,no. But pointing out that a team got better doesn't mean everyone is overreacting. These boards are very frustrating lately.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Anytime a team in your division adds a 35-45 goal scorer, it does mean something. Carter is an upgrade for their team and they will be better. Does this instantly mean they are better than us,no. But pointing out that a team got better doesn't mean everyone is overreacting. These boards are very frustrating lately.
There's 3 or 4 posters who try to be the "voice of reason" in a very condescending manner. We used to have 3 or 4 negative-nelly types, but it's gone pretty far the opposite direction. If you question anything or voice concern\unhappiness with anything, someone is there to imply that you're stupid for it.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
RaiderDoug

That's a good trade for Cbus, but until they start shoring up the other two phases of the game - defense and goaltending, i'm not really all that worried.

They should have taken Carter's dough and bought a couple of solid defensemen. Now they're a one line team. What a line though.

Still, that's the kind of move you make if your one piece away from the cup, not rebuilding from the ground up. Yes, i'm jealous.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:36 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

from everything howson says, they're not finished. they recognize that they need defensive help, and the market will offer several good options, come july 1.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I agree, nothing to see here. So they will have 1 line. Whoopty do.
This would be like one of us claiming that y'all only have one worthwhile defense pairing.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:36 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This would be like one of us claiming that y'all only have one worthwhile defense pairing.
naa... everyone knows that Blum/Klein is a bad ass pairing, too

Old
06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
naa... everyone knows that Blum/Klein is a bad ass pairing, too
And everyone knows that Umberger, Vermette, and Brassard are capable forwards. Especially Umberger.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ugh... I hate Umberger so I'll hold my opinion beyond that

Columbus obviously isn't a one line team, but I think ky's point was more that adding the one player shouldn't be that much of a difference. I agree, but I am a bit worried about our away games. Trotz is going to have to try incredibly hard to keep your top line away from our bottom pairing. Our games with Columbus are always so close that we can't afford to let that line go unchecked, even for one shift.