HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn - How good will he be?

Old
06-23-2011, 10:21 PM
clodejirew

vCash: 500
Brayden Schenn - How good will he be?

I know that he's ranked the number one prospect on hockeysfuture.com, but how good do you think he could get?

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Gretzky X 2. But seriously from what I know of him he probably maxes out as a Toews/Richards type.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:25 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

About as good as Richards, but probably slightly worse defensively and better offensively.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Mgkibbles

He'll probably be a Ryan Kesler type player.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think he can be a 100-point player, but not without growing pains. Possibly Sedin-like development where it's going to take time, and time on the NHL level. Keep in mind he's still AHL-eligible, he's going to have to fight for his spot on the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Hughes

Think he'll be better offensively then Richards with equal defense...you heard it here first.

Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:30 PM
mm6492

I think if he plays well in camp he gets a spot, if not, like a half season in the HAL until he gets it going.

Eventually, I see him being better then Richards offensively but worse defensively. Maybe Toews type I would say.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM
MLP*

I'm not as up on prospects as I used to be (funny how when your favorite team sucks, prospects are everything; when your favorite team is doing well, prospects are an afterthought), but I'm sure any team would love to have him. Rainbow Dash is probably the only athlete I'd rather have at this point, and that's just because she delivered when it mattered, literally carrying her four teammates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-5JBrMIHx4&t=17m10s

Value wise, I think the Flyers did quite well today with their trades, especially if Richards was creating a disturbance in the clubhouse.

That said, the team is in a weird state of limbo, where you have all these young players who are probably 2-5 years away from their primes, and another set of players who really have to win now. I expect more moves, if not now, maybe a couple months into the season, when they'll have a better idea of how everything is shaking out.

MLP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPRichardsCarter View Post
About as good as Richards, but probably slightly worse defensively and better offensively.
This is a dead on prediction. Kings fans, since he was drafted, were hoping he would turn into Richards, in fact, that was his draft comparison. Watching him earlier this season, Brayden showed a couple of things. He had some work to do on his defensive game, and his offensive game was better than advertised. He has sick hands and a good toolbox of moves and dekes. Another bonus is he plays gritty, is a fast skater, but average overall skater, and he isn't afraid to drop the gloves. He has good hockey sense and vision. Should be a player that can eventually pocket 30 goals, put up 60-70 points, as well as being defensively responsible and playing big minutes on special teams.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

A good comparison would be a faster Ryan Kesler, with better hands. But probably a little less effective defensively.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
A good comparison would be a faster Ryan Kesler, with better hands. But probably a little less effective defensively.
Kesler is pretty fast so I hope that is true!

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Ryan Kesler is a pretty god damned good player. He's also a good bit bigger than Schenn and fast as hell. We'll see how he looks against NHL players before I set my hopes that high. Kesler is a beast.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Kesler is pretty fast so I hope that is true!
Kesler isn't THAT fast. He can skate but he's not going to blow people away. Kesler is however a very good skater in general. Schenns skating ability is about average at this point. However the kid can fly.

Old
06-23-2011, 11:47 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think he can be a 100-point player, but not without growing pains.
The kid is should be good (gotta give some credit to all these analysts!) but let's not be delirious.

He couldn't make the team in his first two years, unlike several players drafted the same year as him and a few more who were drafted in 2010. Basically, he's 'Top Prospect' out of those who aren't already assets. Best of the rest.

Even for future HoF goalies and d-men, it's perfectly normal to spend at least two years in the minors. For would be elite forwards, it's a lot less common. For a would be 100 points guy, I just can't believe it, growing pains or not.

Now, Mike Richards himself made the team on his third year so here's hoping for you that Schenn's follow Richard's development pace, which is already a lofty target.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
The kid is should be good (gotta give some credit to all these analysts!) but let's not be delirious.

He couldn't make the team in his first two years, unlike several players drafted the same year as him and a few more who were drafted in 2010. Basically, he's 'Top Prospect' out of those who aren't already assets. Best of the rest.

Even for future HoF goalies and d-men, it's perfectly normal to spend at least two years in the minors. For would be elite forwards, it's a lot less common. For a would be 100 points guy, I just can't believe it.

Now, Mike Richards himself made the team on his third year so here's hoping for you that Schenn's follow Richard's development pace, which is already a lofty target.
Well he might not be a 100 point guy, but Giroux didnt go right into the league. JVR either. Carter and Richards didnt as well. Going straight into the NHL doesnt mean anything. Voracek went straight into the NHL at 18.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:02 AM
FLYguy3911

Carter and Richards had the lockout in their way so we'll never know if they would have played before then or not.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Kesler isn't THAT fast. He can skate but he's not going to blow people away. Kesler is however a very good skater in general. Schenns skating ability is about average at this point. However the kid can fly.
Kesler has elite speed. One of the faster skaters in the league.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:11 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
Kesler has elite speed. One of the faster skaters in the league.

He's fast. One of the fastest in the league?
I disagree with that.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Sedinery2011

The only time I've seen Schenn play was at this year's WJC...I wasnt impressed...the kinds of things he was doing he wouldnt have a chance in hell of getting away with in the NHL...and just the toolset..I dont see all that much there. IMO, he is just a big media hype job and will be considered a bust considering how highly he was thought of at one point...

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:18 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinery2011 View Post
The only time I've seen Schenn play was at this year's WJC...I wasnt impressed...the kinds of things he was doing he wouldnt have a chance in hell of getting away with in the NHL...and just the toolset..I dont see all that much there. IMO, he is just a big media hype job and will be considered a bust considering how highly he was thought of at one point...
Are you one of the people that called JVR a bust?

Just curious...

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:21 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinery2011 View Post
What team do you scout for? Could you PLEASE come work for us?
It's evident that you're a completely reliable opinion.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:22 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Somehow I think the Philly crowd is going to eat him alive. Him and Bryz, if he doesn't perform.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think he can be a 100-point player, but not without growing pains. Possibly Sedin-like development where it's going to take time, and time on the NHL level. Keep in mind he's still AHL-eligible, he's going to have to fight for his spot on the team.
I'm sorry but Schenn won't ever reach 100 points. He's a great player but is much more of a two-way player then pure offensive point producer.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:00 AM
WKFan

Regular season: Mike Richards
Playoffs: Joe Thornton (pre-2011?)

To poster above, skating is nowhere near Kesler. Strength is his ability to make plays and play a physical game. Has started to build up a few ghosts as a player who isn't able to elevate his game and carry the mail in big games but has lots of time to prove doubters wrong in that regard.

Last edited by WKFan: 06-24-2011 at 01:09 AM.
WKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:06 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

You traded for a younger Mike Richards, most likely.

The player that makes the deal great for you is Simmonds. I love the kids upside.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote