HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2011 (part 6)

View Poll Results: Who would you trade for Kyle Turris?
Brendan Gallagher 1 3.57%
Nathan Beaulieu 0 0%
Lars Eller 1 3.57%
Alexander Avtsin & Michael Bournival 2 7.14%
Louis Leblanc & Yannick Weber 4 14.29%
Two first round picks 0 0%
One first round and two (or three) second round picks 0 0%
Nope! Ain't gonna do it. 20 71.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 05:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
The only 2 I want on that list is Laich or Upshall. And, I'd put whoever we signed on the 3rd line with Eller - AK because neither is a legit #1 RW. Cole could play with Cammy-Pleks, but he's 32. I definitely would not sign for longer than 3 years. Brouwer is younger, bigger and meaner.

If we could trade for Brouwer somehow and sign one of Laich or Upshall, I'd be in ecstasy.

Cammy-Pleks-Brouwer
Patches-Gomez-Gionta
Laich/Upshall-Eller-AK
Moen-DD-Darche/White

Doubt we have the money for all that! lol
So Laich and Upshall are not legit 1st liners but Brouwer is???

Old
06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If we trade Eller then we have to ride out Gomez for 3 more years and maybe re-sign him longer.
We have to ride gomez out 3 more years anyways,but even this management won't re-sign him. Eller is still a prospect and can't be relied to play 2nd line center yet. DD would be my choice...for now

Old
06-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
We have to ride gomez out 3 more years anyways,but even this management won't re-sign him. Eller is still a prospect and can't be relied to play 2nd line center yet. DD would be my choice...for now
With the cap floor going up, I think trading Gomez after this year shouldn't be very hard especially if he has any kind of rebound. He'll be making 5.5 and 4.5 mil with a cap hit of 7.35 both years, that would do a big favor for a cap floor team. They can spend 10 mil and use up 14.7 mil of cap room. For a lot of those teams, spending to the floor puts them in a toght squeeze financially...like Florida Phoenix Nashville Columbus etc.

Who knows maybe a few teams want him NOW...I would do it, but we'd need somebody coming in as a #2 until Eller is ready in another year probably.

Old
06-24-2011, 06:23 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
With the cap floor going up, I think trading Gomez after this year shouldn't be very hard especially if he has any kind of rebound. He'll be making 5.5 and 4.5 mil with a cap hit of 7.35 both years, that would do a big favor for a cap floor team. They can spend 10 mil and use up 14.7 mil of cap room. For a lot of those teams, spending to the floor puts them in a toght squeeze financially...like Florida Phoenix Nashville Columbus etc.

Who knows maybe a few teams want him NOW...I would do it, but we'd need somebody coming in as a #2 until Eller is ready in another year probably.
I think the only way Gomez rebounds is on a line with a big goal scoring forward. i don't think it works out for him playing with smurfs and/or perimeter players now. That's why he had better success w/Pacs,and maybe we do keep him if Pacs can push 30 goals and stay healthy w/Gomez

Old
06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think the only way Gomez rebounds is on a line with a big goal scoring forward. i don't think it works out for him playing with smurfs and/or perimeter players now. That's why he had better success w/Pacs,and maybe we do keep him if Pacs can push 30 goals and stay healthy w/Gomez
He had 59 points with Gionta and SK/Pouliot in 09-10...Pacioretty and Gionta should be an upgrade.

Ideally next year our top 9 would be stacked...

Gio-Gomez-Pacioretty
Cammy-Pleks-UFA(Laich/Upshall/Cole/FRolov etc)
AK-Eller-UFA(Langenbrunner/Miettinen/Higgins/Brunette/Dupuis/Kopecky/Torres)

Use 6-8 mil to sign 2 UFA wingers, some may not be the "sexy" names like Langenbunner, Miettinen etc but they are solid players.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
He had 59 points with Gionta and SK/Pouliot in 09-10...Pacioretty and Gionta should be an upgrade.

Ideally next year our top 9 would be stacked...

Gio-Gomez-Pacioretty
Cammy-Pleks-UFA(Laich/Upshall/Cole/FRolov etc)
AK-Eller-UFA(Langenbrunner/Miettinen/Higgins/Brunette/Dupuis/Kopecky/Torres)

Use 6-8 mil to sign 2 UFA wingers, some may not be the "sexy" names like Langenbunner, Miettinen etc but they are solid players.
I wouldn't want Langenbrunner at this point of his career.Torres and Upshall would be my choices from the above.And one of the players mentioned ad nauseum for our 4th line. But of course we know none of that's happening.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I wouldn't want Langenbrunner at this point of his career.Torres and Upshall would be my choices from the above.And one of the players mentioned ad nauseum for our 4th line. But of course we know none of that's happening.
Why not Langenbrunner?

He'd be a perfect fit for AK and Eller...he is one year removed from a 61 point season and 2 years from 69. You sign him for 1 year so there is not a lot of risk(2.5-3 mil). Upshall will cost more money and more term...possibly 4 mil over 3-5 years...if we sign him it will have to be as a top 6 at that money.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:17 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Why not Langenbrunner?

He'd be a perfect fit for AK and Eller...he is one year removed from a 61 point season and 2 years from 69. You sign him for 1 year so there is not a lot of risk(2.5-3 mil). Upshall will cost more money and more term...possibly 4 mil over 3-5 years...if we sign him it will have to be as a top 6 at that money.
At his age it's an injury waiting to happen,and I see none of the much-needed toughness.He's also definately on the back nine career-wise.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
At his age it's an injury waiting to happen,and I see none of the much-needed toughness.He's also definately on the back nine career-wise.
Langenbrunner is as gritty as they come, if he gets hurt he gets hurt...he played 232 games the last 3 years(77.3 games a year) so no indication taht he is injury prone.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:25 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Langenbrunner is as gritty as they come, if he gets hurt he gets hurt...he played 232 games the last 3 years(77.3 games a year) so no indication taht he is injury prone.
Torres and Uppshall would be the perfect fit for AK-Eller line imo. I'm just not a fan of Langenbrunner,I guess, and his 32 pts and 36 yrs old reinforces that

Old
06-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Torres and Uppshall would be the perfect fit for AK-Eller line imo. I'm just not a fan of Langenbrunner,I guess, and his 32 pts and 36 yrs old reinforces that
Even in a down year his numbers were almost as good as Upshall and Torres...plus I don't think he'll cost the big contract(3-4 years) that they will require, and probably a lower cap hit to boot. Langenbrunner was a captain in New Jersey and a cup winner, those are nice assets to bring to a team and a line with a young guy like Eller.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:39 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Weiss or Plekanec...who is the better player or too close to call

Old
06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
So Laich and Upshall are not legit 1st liners but Brouwer is???
Brouwer brings more size, protection and a right-hand shot (something we don't have a lot of among our forward group) to line up with Cammy and Pleks. He'd be a good guy to have on their line when we go up against the likes of Chara/Pronger.

Skill-wise, Laich right now is above Brouwer, but I like the package that Brouwer brings, and I don't believe Brouwer has reached his full potential yet. He only turns 26 in August, and is entering his 4th year, which is both an age and a time that power-forwards start to understand how to be really effective. Laich is 2 years older.

Upshall is a forward in the mold of Colby Armstrong, although he's a lot smaller than Armstrong and has a history of being injury prone. This year, he stayed healthy and played a full season for the first time in 6 years, and had his best scoring season (22). He's 28 in October.

Of the three, he would be 3rd on my list. He's average sized, so doesn't address our "size" issue. He has had problems with injuries, likely due to the style he plays, which is the style he has to play to be effective, and he doesn't have the skill level of Laich or the potential of Brouwer.

I don't see Upshall as a top 6 forward, more of a top 9 forward who can move into the top 6 when injuries hit. Laich and Brouwer are both top 6.

EDIT: Brouwer goes to Washington for a 2011 1st rdr. We probably could have gotten him for that too, but PG obviously said no (Hawks-Habs talked before Habs pick). I would guess that means Caps are not going to sign Laich, so now he becomes the guy I want. *sigh*

Quote:
Why not Langenbrunner?

Wow. Do you ever over-rate Upshall. No way is Upshall getting $4 million a year. He's had one 20 goal season in 6 years! His best season is 34 points. Colby Armstrong got $3m from the Leafs, and I think Upshall should come in below that.

Malhotra got $2.5m from Vancouver, so Upshall should settle between him and Armstrong. I'll say a $2.75m cap hit is about right for him. Laich will get $4m to $4.5m depending on the team.

I don't want Langenbrunner either. He got old really quick. I think Upshall would be perfect with Eller - AK tho.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 06-29-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: merged posts..
Old
06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Since86

Habs/Avalanche

I seriously doubt Pierre Gauthier makes a significant move this summer. I believe him when he says he wants to maintain a certain stability after the team underwent a major upheaval over the last two years. However, with the rumours of Stastny being shopped, and given the cap going up and low-budget teams having a hard time reaching the cap floor, I wonder if a move is possible. Here's my suggestion...

To Colorado:
- Danny Kristo
- 2012 MTL 1st round pick
- 2013 MTL 2nd round pick
- Scott Gomez

To Montreal:
- Paul Stastny

And here is my reasoning...

Seeing what Philly got for Richards and Carter, who are both better players than Stastny, I think Kristo (Montreal's best prospect not named Leblanc) and a 1st and 2nd rounder for Stastny is reasonable. And although this has no bearing on the trade whatsoever, Stastny was born in the province of Quebec and may welcome a return there.

Gomez's cap hit is $7.357M per year but will only cost $17.5M over three years. This saves Colorado money while helping them reach the cap floor. Gomez would provide a veteran presence for Matt Duchene and the rest of the young Avalanche team, and fill a solid 2nd line centre role.

Have fun discussing.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Bleu Blanc Rouge

are you serious ?

Old
06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Emanresu Wen

i really like how you put gomez last

Old
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
JackZap

I would have seen a higher probability of them trading Statsny if they had drafted a center this yr.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:29 AM
habitue*

I hope they hire Garon to support Price and give him a real brake when needed. Garon can still play 20-30 quality games and be really useful IF Price got injured.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Is Bergfors for Pouliot a potential trade, similar to Boyd for Kostitsyn last year? Both players are about the same age (Pouliot one year older) and have had about the same production in the league thus far. I only see Pouliot being traded in one of these problem for problem, your garbage for my garbage type trades. I don't know how Bergfors has suddenly become garbage, but its clear Florida wants no part of him.

p.s. is the deadline for qualifying offers today for all teams? Because i read an article a couple of days ago about how Florida cut Bergfors loose...

Old
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Canadiens28
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Mtl:

-Kostitsyn
-Kristo
-A pick or another prospect if needed

CBJ:

-Filatov
The Habs wouldn't have to trade all that. All the Senators traded was a 3rd round pick, and i'm wondering if they are taking a risk traded for Filatov. But you never know...

Old
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Is Bergfors for Pouliot a potential trade, similar to Boyd for Kostitsyn last year? Both players are about the same age (Pouliot one year older) and have had about the same production in the league thus far. I only see Pouliot being traded in one of these problem for problem, your garbage for my garbage type trades. I don't know how Bergfors has suddenly become garbage, but its clear Florida wants no part of him.

p.s. is the deadline for qualifying offers today for all teams? Because i read an article a couple of days ago about how Florida cut Bergfors loose...
Yea we dont even have to trade to him. He will be a UFA and probably get a 1 year contract under 1 million with a team.

Old
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Weiss or Plekanec...who is the better player or too close to call
plekanec handsdown is a way better player

Old
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Yea we dont even have to trade to him. He will be a UFA and probably get a 1 year contract under 1 million with a team.
If you want him, it may be better to trade Pouliot (if the Habs do not intend to keep him) or a late round pick, or even some euro prospect that is not going to come over. Then they can qualify him and not have to worry about competing with other teams to sign him after July 1.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Aurel Joliat

Dan Carcillo did not receive an offer and will be available july 1st. I want him ! Not a heavyweight, but he can play hockey and drop the gloves against ALMOST everybody

Old
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Dan Carcillo did not receive an offer and will be available july 1st. I want him ! Not a heavyweight, but he can play hockey and drop the gloves against ALMOST everybody
Takes too many dumb penalities, before signing him I'd go after Eager, at least he can beat people up.

Closed Thread