HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 500
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS1

Selon ce que nous avons entendu à Minneapolis, les chances étaient très réelles que l'attaquant franco-ontarien soit échangé au cours de la fin de semaine.

I don't think it's the right time to send him packing. We won't get anything of value back. I wish we wouldn't give up on young struggling players so fast.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:03 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He's useless, let a bottom feeding team try to cultivate him into a talent.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

Selon ce que nous avons entendu à Minneapolis, les chances étaient très réelles que l'attaquant franco-ontarien soit échangé au cours de la fin de semaine.

I don't think it's the right time to send him packing. We won't get anything of value back. I wish we wouldn't give up on young struggling players so fast.
A draft pick would be something of value. We can then go sign a decent UFA to replace him...so 2 assets for 1.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:21 AM
E = CH²

Quote:

Are you surprised? Ever since BG, the habs have always done that ie make sure we trade players when their value is at the lowest possible it will get.

EDIT:

Also, before I get crapped on let's take a look :

Ribeiro->Niniimaa (sp? don't even care actually)
Latendresse->Pouliot->Maybe picks
SK-> Nothing
Grabo -> Nothing
Beauchemin -> Nothing
D'ago -> Palushaj

In almost all those cases we waited until the value was at the lowest. If we didn't want these guys we should have traded them when they were worth something so we could get something back.

I probably am forgetting quite a few and avoiding to mention all the UFAs we didn't trade at deadlines or failed to keep when we should have because those are a bit more dicey to be fair. But still.. the above is a big enough pile of fail to prove my point.

Last edited by E = CH²: 06-24-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old
06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Alex Tanguay had 22 goals and 47 assists for 69 points in 79 games this year.

Those stats are vastly superior to every single Habs forward this year.
Amazing the results you get when you try...Tanguay was awful with the Habs, the guy had no hustle, and mailed it in most nights...soft as butter in July...

Old
06-24-2011, 10:43 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Amazing the results you get when you try...Tanguay was awful with the Habs, the guy had no hustle, and mailed it in most nights...soft as butter in July...
He was also the best forward the Habs had that year. Unfortunately, the fanbase and the media confluate skating hard and hitting with hard work, so a cerebral player like Tanguay has no chance. It also didn't help that Carbo had absolutely no clue how to use a guy like him.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Jakomyte

I don't really get the hate for Pouliot.

Last year he was expected to be a bottom 6 player that could put up some points with moderate ES ice time, and he chipped in with 30 points. Sure he has to work on his defensive game a bit, but last year was still his first full year in the league. He's costing us less than $1.5M to provide some offense on our bottom lines, I personally think we need players like him in depth scoring roles to make up for the fact that we don't have any superstar offensive players (plz avoid Jagr comments).

I think he's a good fit on a 3rd/4th line with someone like Eller or Desharnais, especially if he comes back driven to develop his defensive/physical side a bit more this year.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Last year he was expected to be a bottom 6 player that could put up some points with moderate ES ice time, and he chipped in with 30 points. Sure he has to work on his defensive game a bit, but last year was still his first full year in the league. He's costing us less than $1.5M to provide some offense on our bottom lines, I personally think we need players like him in depth scoring roles to make up for the fact that we don't have any superstar offensive players (plz avoid Jagr comments).

I think he's a good fit on a 3rd/4th line with someone like Eller or Desharnais, especially if he comes back driven to develop his defensive/physical side a bit more this year.
The guy takes dumb penalties and cannot stand on his skates.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Are you surprised? Ever since BG, the habs have always done that ie make sure we trade players when their value is at the lowest possible it will get.

EDIT:

Also, before I get crapped on let's take a look :

Ribeiro->Niniimaa (sp? don't even care actually)
Latendresse->Pouliot->Maybe picks
SK-> Nothing
Grabo -> Nothing
Beauchemin -> Nothing
D'ago -> Palushaj

In almost all those cases we waited until the value was at the lowest. If we didn't want these guys we should have traded them when they were worth something so we could get something back.

I probably am forgetting quite a few and avoiding to mention all the UFAs we didn't trade at deadlines or failed to keep when we should have because those are a bit more dicey to be fair. But still.. the above is a big enough pile of fail to prove my point.
bang on.

if we trade Pouliot for scraps (since that is likely his value at this point given his handling by Martin), we will quickly come to regret it.

do people really forget how weak Ribiero seemed, both physically and mentally, before we traded him... a few months later he's a ppg player earning a 5M$ contract.

Pouliot CLEARLY has the ability and the temperment to make the most of it. Once his confidence stabilizes and he reaches full physical maturity, i wouldn't be surprised to see him become a steady 30g scorer in the NHL.

and if history repeats itself, we'll have a scrub prospect, washed up overpaid vet or a late pick to remember him by

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post

? Tanguay has always been soft as butter, didn't stop him from being a GWG scorer in the cup finals, nor did it stop the habs from trading for him.
When he was here, he was arguably our top FWD until getting injured.

he had a nightmare season in T.B, and if you listen to him talk about it, he openly admits that mentally he never recovered from the frustration/anger he felt at the way he was treated by the habs management, and that negative mental state quickly eroded his confidence when things started to go wrong in TB.

he showed last year that his ability to be an impact top-6 fwd in the NHL is still there, soft or not.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:07 AM
habitue*

Quote:

Gauthier is probably trying very hard to get a second round pick.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
RE-HABS

Pouliot maybe a Daniel Cleary type who may need to get passed around the league a little and then fall into the hands of a great coach like a Mike Babcock who can can get the talent out of him...Boucher in Tampa maybe that guy.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gauthier is probably trying very hard to get a second round pick.
Weber will get you a 2nd, Pouliot won't.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Weber will get you a 2nd, Pouliot won't.
Explain please.

Pouliot has the tools of a 1st round pick. But he didn't put them together so far, and Martin doesn't seem to wait for that to happen.

Weber is a later round pick, a bit undersized for a NHL d-man with some skills (shot) and some shortages.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
The guy takes dumb penalties and cannot stand on his skates.
I'm not saying he's perfect, he's still quite raw. Again, he's played one full NHL season so far. I just don't get why everyone is in such a rush to throw him out. I could easily see him play a more complete game this year on the 3rd/4th line while putting up 35-40 points. We definitely need cheap players that can do that on our 3rd/4th lines.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I'm not saying he's perfect, he's still quite raw. Again, he's played one full NHL season so far. I just don't get why everyone is in such a rush to throw him out. I could easily see him play a more complete game this year on the 3rd/4th line while putting up 35-40 points. We definitely need cheap players that can do that on our 3rd/4th lines.
Him and Martin have issues.

Pouliot also thinks that he is good enough to play on a top-two lines.

Normal.

He has been drafted 4rth overall. He just doesn't seem to understand that you have to work very hard and keep working to get that ice time.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Agreed. Mind boggling really. Expectations too high for some?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Dump Pouliot, sign Jagr

Old
06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Him and Martin have issues.

Pouliot also thinks that he is good enough to play on a top-two lines.

Normal.

He has been drafted 4rth overall. He just doesn't seem to understand that you have to work very hard and keep working to get that ice time.
1) Him and Martin have issues.

What is this based on? Sure, his ice time and role on the team fluctuated throughout the year, but you can say the same for a lot of younger players (Subban, Eller, Desharnais, etc.). I don't see why all of these players are just learning lessons about how to play in the NHL, while Pouliot just has issues.

2) Pouliot thinks he is good enough to play in the top 6

Again, are you inside his brain or something to know that's what he thinks? He probably knows, just like the rest of us, that he has that kind of potential, but he also seemed to flourish at times with certain line mates in the bottom 6, mainly a stretch where he was playing either Halpern/Darche or Eller/Darche. Also, if he does believe that he has that kind of potential, isn't it a good thing to be confident? We all praise a guy like Subban for his confidence, why would we look down at Pouliot for having some faith in his abilities?

3) Pouliot doesn't understand that you have to work hard for your ice time

I really don't get this one, because if there's one thing that Martin seems to like to cement in the minds of his young players, its that you have to work for your ice time. People complain about how he seems to give it too easily to vets, but all the young players on the team had stretches this past year where they were in less key roles, or even in the press box (again, this includes guys like Subban & Eller).

Basically, what your post proves is that you have your own personal feelings about Pouliot (which is fine), but that you are clouded by those feelings and are deciding to make up reasons why he should be moved.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

gone tonight or resign.

I just hope Gauthier don't trade him for UFA's like he did with Sergei

Old
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
gone tonight or resign.

I want a pick back and take a home run swing on a Wittchow, Kessy or McKee.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I want a pick back and take a home run swing on a Wittchow, Kessy or McKee.
that would be perfect.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
gone tonight or resign.

No doubt Gauthier will be using him tonight. But if there are no takers, I'm not sure he would simply re-sign him before July 1st. I think he will still look to trade him.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
1) Him and Martin have issues.

What is this based on? Sure, his ice time and role on the team fluctuated throughout the year, but you can say the same for a lot of younger players (Subban, Eller, Desharnais, etc.). I don't see why all of these players are just learning lessons about how to play in the NHL, while Pouliot just has issues.

2) Pouliot thinks he is good enough to play in the top 6

Again, are you inside his brain or something to know that's what he thinks? He probably knows, just like the rest of us, that he has that kind of potential, but he also seemed to flourish at times with certain line mates in the bottom 6, mainly a stretch where he was playing either Halpern/Darche or Eller/Darche. Also, if he does believe that he has that kind of potential, isn't it a good thing to be confident? We all praise a guy like Subban for his confidence, why would we look down at Pouliot for having some faith in his abilities?

3) Pouliot doesn't understand that you have to work hard for your ice time

I really don't get this one, because if there's one thing that Martin seems to like to cement in the minds of his young players, its that you have to work for your ice time. People complain about how he seems to give it too easily to vets, but all the young players on the team had stretches this past year where they were in less key roles, or even in the press box (again, this includes guys like Subban & Eller).

Basically, what your post proves is that you have your own personal feelings about Pouliot (which is fine), but that you are clouded by those feelings and are deciding to make up reasons why he should be moved.

I like Pouliot and he will be a top 6 forward sooner than later. He has the skills and the size.

However, he and Martin are like oil and water. For whatever reason, Martin saw to it that Pouliot's confidence was wrecked by the benchings for minor penalties or reduced ice time after a fight or in the Boston series, a hard hit that really wasnt a penalty.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I like Pouliot and he will be a top 6 forward sooner than later. He has the skills and the size.

However, he and Martin are like oil and water. For whatever reason, Martin saw to it that Pouliot's confidence was wrecked by the benchings for minor penalties or reduced ice time after a fight or in the Boston series, a hard hit that really wasnt a penalty.
Being a top 6 NHL forward is a lot more than just having skill and size. That's a HF myth.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:47 PM
icerocket

Bust.

Even worse than AKost in terms of "busting".

Closed Thread