HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Suter to the Avs

Old
06-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Suter to the Avs

Hey Preds fans, I come in peace. I'm actually a huge fan of your team and root for you guys every year. I know you guys are unlikely to want to trade him, but I was wondering if there would be any way to work out a deal to get Suter on the Avs for Stastny.. here is my reasoning.

Nashville needs help up front, Colorado on the back end
Stastny would fit into Nashville's system very nicely as he is a great 2 way player.
Suter is a UFA next year and I thought that depending on what happens with Weber in arbitration (if it gets there) they wouldn't want all that money tied up on D especially with a bunch of solid D prospects that can step in.
I know Stastny comes with a large salary and management is tight, so I'd understand if that's the problem

so, the basis of the deal would be

To Nashville:
Stastny

to Colorado:
Suter

I'm sure the Avs would have to add something, but what would the preds want? Another defender perhaps? I would be wary of adding another big piece b/c Suter could walk after next season, I'm just banking on that he won't.

Thoughts?

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Fo Shea Shea

Didn't some one else post this exact same thing like a month ago?

Fo Shea Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

If the trade could be expanded to include Liles (and something else coming from Nashville) I really would think about it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
Didn't some one else post this exact same thing like a month ago?
no idea, sorry if they did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
If the trade could be expanded to include Liles (and something else coming from Nashville) I really would think about it.
that could definitely work, too bad we aren't GMs.. if there was a way to get Colin Wilson (again, even if Colorado had to add another little piece) I think that would be even better. If not, maybe Halischuck or something? O'Reilly to play with his brother or even Lindback makes a lot of sense too.. I think we make pretty good trading partners

Old
06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I don't know. I was thinking it would take Stasny+Liles+2nd. We may have to add a mid-prospect, but lets not forget that many here are saying that Suter is better than Weber.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't know. I was thinking it would take Stasny+Liles+2nd. We may have to add a mid-prospect, but lets not forget that many here are saying that Suter is better than Weber.
Suter and Weber aren't really "better" than one or the other. They have different strengths that go well together. Liles is obviously a drop from Suter, but he's still a high end number 2, and would make losing Suter a little easier to swallow.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:58 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Suter and Weber aren't really "better" than one or the other. They have different strengths that go well together. Liles is obviously a drop from Suter, but he's still a high end number 2, and would make losing Suter a little easier to swallow.
Not to discount getting Liles, but the chemistry of that first pairing would be gone(one of the best in the league). I would think it would take some sort of overpayment. Does Stasny have a good two-way game?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Not to discount getting Liles, but the chemistry of that first pairing would be gone(one of the best in the league). I would think it would take some sort of overpayment. Does Stasny have a good two-way game?
A very good one, which is why I think he would fit nicely in your system.. seems like a Trotz player. He is our best player because of it.. people might say Duchene but Stas does it all

Old
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Suter x 20

I was always under the impression that Paul Statsny was incredibly lazy. Could be wrong, but read that a few times on the Avs board and read more than a few times that some Avs fans hate him...

Either way, I don't think it would be a good move for Nashville. Suter and Weber, as said before, compliment each other very well. I don't think what we need is another two way center with a PPG offensive upside. Sure, he has better offensive upside than most, if not all, the centers we currently have - but how would his offensive game be affected in our system?

Suter x 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
glenngineer

Could we do a Duchesne for Suter deal instead?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm18 View Post
I was always under the impression that Paul Statsny was incredibly lazy. Could be wrong, but read that a few times on the Avs board and read more than a few times that some Avs fans hate him...

Either way, I don't think it would be a good move for Nashville. Suter and Weber, as said before, compliment each other very well. I don't think what we need is another two way center with a PPG offensive upside. Sure, he has better offensive upside than most, if not all, the centers we currently have - but how would his offensive game be affected in our system?
Don't know where did you come up with that, but you couldn't be more wrong, he isn't lazy, people that don't watch him play often get that impression because he isn't flashy, yet somehow at the end of the game he always has a point, and shuts down the opossing top line.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Suter x 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Haha, there we go!

Suter x 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Not that the value is off but that could never happen.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Not a chance for (maybe) 1 year of Suter, if anything I think Duchene's game would suffer more in your system while Stastny's would thrive

Old
06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Not that the value is off but that could never happen.
I realize that but if I had to choose between Duchesne or Stastny I'd choose Duchesne. He reminds me so much of Sakic and we need a guy like that here in Nashville. You guys are fortunate to have him play for you. He'll be terrorizing the West for years to come.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I realize that but if I had to choose between Duchesne or Stastny I'd choose Duchesne. He reminds me so much of Sakic and we need a guy like that here in Nashville. You guys are fortunate to have him play for you. He'll be terrorizing the West for years to come.
I know, but i think that Staz is a better player for your system. And who wouldn't want Dutchy over Staz is crazy. The only part where Dutchy needs to improve is defensive game, and he needs to work on his shot.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:56 AM
thomas magnum

I realize it could be risky to break up the first D pairing with the chemistry they have but I think trading for a player like Stastny would benefit the team. It finally gives the Preds the scorer they need and you get Liles to fill in for Suter.

If Weber is signed long-term I would definitely consider it. Plus don't forget that Stastny is young.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:17 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Stastny is good, but he isn't the player we need. He is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. We have too many passers and not enough shooters. No snipers, in fact. If we are going to part with a top 10 defenseman we need a sniper coming back. Otherwise we will see more pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover/blocked shot/whiff/missed net/ etc. I know the whole two-way forward to Nashville thing is sexy, and why wouldn't it be? That's how our team is built. The trouble is, if we continually look for two-way forwards we will keep passing up guys who can actually pick corners and score goals, even if they lack defensive responsibility. I think we're at a point where, Trotz be damned, we need a guy who will score 35+ goals. The rest of our defensive-minded squad can make up for his lapses.

edit: do you think Stastny would be able to change from a playmaker to a goal scorer if he were on a team with playmakers (I'm thinking SK especially here)?

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Stastny is good, but he isn't the player we need. He is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. We have too many passers and not enough shooters. No snipers, in fact. If we are going to part with a top 10 defenseman we need a sniper coming back. Otherwise we will see more pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, turnover/blocked shot/whiff/missed net/ etc. I know the whole two-way forward to Nashville thing is sexy, and why wouldn't it be? That's how our team is built. The trouble is, if we continually look for two-way forwards we will keep passing up guys who can actually pick corners and score goals, even if they lack defensive responsibility. I think we're at a point where, Trotz be damned, we need a guy who will score 35+ goals. The rest of our defensive-minded squad can make up for his lapses.

edit: do you think Stastny would be able to change from a playmaker to a goal scorer if he were on a team with playmakers (I'm thinking SK especially here)?
He's an great playmaker, who always hits 20+ goals, if anything he will make SK a better goalscorer. If Radulov comes back those two could end up as a great combo on your first line.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't know. SK showed almost an unwillingness to shoot the puck last year. He thinks he is a much better passer than goal scorer, and that might be true, but I don't think we need to trade away half of the best pairing in the league to get a guy who might be able to get SK to shoot more. The Rads thing is a pipe dream until I see him stepping on to the ice for training camp.

I'd still have to pass. I love Paul Stastny, but I just don't think he is what we need right now. We have center depth, though admittedly none of them are as good offensively as Stastny. We have playmakers. We need someone who is selfish and will shoot the puck.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Stastny's hockey IQ is through the roof. He sees the ice exceptionally well, and seems to be at the right spot at the right time. I have no doubts that he could be a shooter instead of a playmaker if that's what coach wants.

(if we had a decent coach, he'd probably be playing that role now. But Sacco doesn't coach, he just watches games from the bench.)

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

It's still a lot to give up on a maybe, ya know? Still, the Preds need to do something. I wouldn't be upset at all if we got Stastny, but I don't think Suter needs to be involved. A package deal would work better for us obviously. What are Colorado's needs? Goaltending? Defensive-defensemen? Bottom six forwards?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Goalie
Defensive defenseman (could get this with Larsson)
Wingers (could get this in the draft, too)
Better COACH!

COL doesn't really need a quantity for quality trade with Staz, though. They'd be looking for equal quality coming back. That's why we asked for Suter.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:37 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I just don't see it happening. Suter likely doesn't get traded at all, but if he does I think Poile has to be convinced that the piece(s) coming back put the team in a better position to win now. I think we would be more interested in Duchene, but that isn't happening.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

No problem. Never hurts to ask, right? IMO, it makes both teams stronger in areas that they have a weakness, and takes from areas of strength. Hopefully we'll see you in the playoffs next year.

As an aside, what would you guys be asking for for Lindback?