HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

If Ballard hits waivers, should we?

Old
06-22-2011, 09:16 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
If Ballard hits waivers, should we?

It is Strickland, who might be on the same level as Eklund but:

Quote:
Ballard Headed for Waivers?

Vancouver is trying hard to sign both Kevin Bieksa and Christian Erhoff. If the Canucks canít move Keith Ballard they will likely place him on waivers and eat the contract in the minors. Toronto has done this with Jeff Finger and the Rangers did the same with Wade Redden so itís not like we havenít seen this before. Vancouver can afford to eat Ballardís deal.
http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Y...ghty-and-Weber

if this happens, would you support St. Louis claming him off of waivers. Its about getting his salary out of the cap, so lets ignore re-entry waivers...because I can't think of one instance where an NHL team has utilized this clause.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:42 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
I am a bit rusty on CBA stuff but isn't the earliest he could be headed to waivers September? If Armstrong strikes out on the free agent and trade markets maybe.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 09:43 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

He's better than he showed this year, but I would still cringe if we did.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Ballard still has 4 years left on a contract with an AAV of $4.2M. If Blues claim him from waivers, his contract basically slots him in as a top-pairing defender, whether he fits the role or not. The Blues would be better off exploring all options, even waiting another year, to sign/trade for a defender that meets all expectations for the position.

If there's any doubt about it, don't do it. Too much risk for the Blues' budget and defense corps.

River City Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble View Post
Ballard still has 4 years left on a contract with an AAV of $4.2M. If Blues claim him from waivers, his contract basically slots him in as a top-pairing defender, whether he fits the role or not. The Blues would be better off exploring all options, even waiting another year, to sign/trade for a defender that meets all expectations for the position.

If there's any doubt about it, don't do it. Too much risk for the Blues' budget and defense corps.
Agreed

It amazes me everyone seems to be calling for Colaiacovo to be traded yet people want to add a much worse contract in Ballard.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
Agreed

It amazes me everyone seems to be calling for Colaiacovo to be traded yet people want to add a much worse contract in Ballard.
Its not like we have to worry about his contract, as long as we can resolve our ownership situation.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Its not like we have to worry about his contract, as long as we can resolve our ownership situation.
I would worry about every contract regardless of ownership situation. Cap in place. Effeminacy is important.

On another note I would rather have Cola at the same price as Ballard. Oh and even the Nucks gm seems to agree he is not worth the cash as Aaron Rome stole his spot. What a great bargain Rome is.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
I would worry about every contract regardless of ownership situation. Cap in place. Effeminacy is important.

On another note I would rather have Cola at the same price as Ballard. Oh and even the Nucks gm seems to agree he is not worth the cash as Aaron Rome stole his spot. What a great bargain Rome is.
I'm just saying we have a ton of cap space. Would I want him, no, but that's because I think there are a lot of other better options out there.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:00 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm just saying we have a ton of cap space. Would I want him, no, but that's because I think there are a lot of other better options out there.
Cap space only counts for teams that don't operate on a budget, even the investment group had a budget that wasn't much higher than the upcoming cap floor. If they're replaced and not improved upon financially, every 2 million wasted is an entire roster spot thrown away. This team can't just absorb bad deals or overpriced players, Kariya and Mckee completely handicapped them with injuries and weak performances between them when the team did have investors looking to spend.

SteenMachine is online now   Reply With Quote