HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OFFICIAL 2011 NHL Draft Thread (7PM 6/24 on VS)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Do we get Shannon Elizabeth too?
I'm hoping for Eugene Levy, myself.

RANGERS =
Old
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jun 24, 2011 11:11a

RT @UffeBodin: Minnesota Wild might draft a Swede with their 10th pick tonight. According to my source, they're very interested in D Jonas Brodin.#NHLDraft

sent via Mobile Web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/st...77468260876288

Old
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Elaborate on that please.

In 5 guides he is referred to as a power forward. Quotes such as...

"He is a dynamic player with excellent power elements in his game"
"He fights his way around defenders with and away from the puick well"
"He battles well along the boards and in the net area"
"The 6'3 Armia has great size and wins many physical battles"
"Protects the puck well down low, isn’t afraid to go into the hard area's to score"
“Does a good job getting body position around the slot and uses it to shield defenders off while making a play”
“Easily outmuscles guys to gain puck possession”
“it’s not uncommon for the big power forward to throw 6 or 7 shots on goal in a game and there have been double digit totals too”

Are you saying that this 6'3 197lb 18yr old is a perimeter player? Comments like yours are maybe part of the problem or knock on Armia. Every single guide mentiones his physical game, yet they all have numerous knocks ranging from inconsistency, lack of compete, dissapears etc. Dangerous pick if nobody really knows what they are getting?
Biggest knocks on him are his strenght, physical play, defensive zone play and maybe acceleration.

Yes, he did score some goals from in front of the net, but rather than using his strength he was able to get to the puck using his long limbs and quick hands. Still most of his goal were snipes and breakaways etc.

IMO he could one day molded and used as a power forward once he gains some muscle, but that would be a waste of talent as he has a lethal shot and unbelievable hands combined with nice skating stride.

Sure he might have Bust potential, but at 15 i don't think we will have a chance at a player with as much potential as him.

At 15, i'd take him and run.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Pizza

In a draft like this a player like Biggs might not be available much past 15. So if that's who the Rangers really want I could see them taking him there and then.

He's far from a flashy pick but he is relatively safe and fills a pretty big hole for them. It would be great if McNeill were available, but he probably won't be.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
Biggest knocks on him are his strenght, physical play, defensive zone play and maybe acceleration.

Yes, he did score some goals from in front of the net, but rather than using his strength he was able to get to the puck using his long limbs and quick hands. Still most of his goal were snipes and breakaways etc.

IMO he could one day molded and used as a power forward once he gains some muscle, but that would be a waste of talent as he has a lethal shot and unbelievable hands combined with nice skating stride.

Sure he might have Bust potential, but at 15 i don't think we will have a chance at a player with as much potential as him.

At 15, i'd take him and run.
Sounds like you have seen alot of him. I am only going off what the major scouting services were saying, and also some of the other smaller ones too.

Your description makes hm sopund more along the lines of a Petr Nedved. Is that what you are seeing in him?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Jun 24, 2011 11:11a

RT @UffeBodin: Minnesota Wild might draft a Swede with their 10th pick tonight. According to my source, they're very interested in D Jonas Brodin.#NHLDraft

sent via Mobile Web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/THNRyanKennedy/st...77468260876288
If Brodin goes top 10...I wonder who gets bumped out.

Also gotta wonder if the Flyers go off the board at 8. I'm specifically thinking...Biggs dad was a Flyer. Biggs is the prototypical Flyer. Could they jump off the board and take him at 8?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I still don't get why they'd trade Stastny...
From what I remember, he was rumored to have a conflict with management after the Eric Johnson trade. Or maybe his agent or dad? He also has a pretty steep contract.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Im ready and loving it.

Why anyone would be disappointed with the Rangers trying to build a physically taxing team to play against, is beyond me.

No more being push overs.

We will be doing the pushing.

Erixon + Biggs = success

I think you, I and Orr Nightmare are the only big Biggs supporters around here. Having said that, he could go higher, hopefully not.

Other players I would be happy with are Armia, Scheifele, Miller @ 15. If we move down, McNeill, Puempel, possibly Saad. Saad has skills but also has consistency issues. I read somewhere that his season took a nose dive once Saginaw traded for John McFarlane. Maybe they didn't get along or maybe McFarlane took his ice time. Who knows?

Anyway, we should get a pretty good player @15, if not trade down and pick Puempel and a 2nd.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:20 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

Also gotta wonder if the Flyers go off the board at 8. I'm specifically thinking...Biggs dad was a Flyer. Biggs is the prototypical Flyer. Could they jump off the board and take him at 8?
Biggs at 10 isn't really off the board. He will go anywhere from around 7 to 25.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
msv957

This may have been mentioned already. Just curious if there will be a live Stream for the NHL draft tonight?

I have a feeling Gordie Clark is gonna pull out another gem from the draft this year...

Old
06-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
From what I remember, he was rumored to have a conflict with management after the Eric Johnson trade. Or maybe his agent or dad? He also has a pretty steep contract.
His dad went off about **** but that was just his dad. Can't really apply what he said to Paul himself.

Also, i think Armia has better hands than Nedved, in theory.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
ecemleafs

i hope we draft saad for jonathons reaction

Old
06-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:

I thought of the same thing yesterday after the Columbus trade. The Flyers do like their players big and physical. Let's hope he's there at #15.

Having said that, maybe the Flyers like Oleksiak. If that's the case, more forwards will drop down, with Minnesota liking Brodin.

Last edited by Jacques Strap: 06-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

please god let this happen.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
beastly115

Quote:

Hmm.. Is Biggs a dooshbag? Cause it looks like they're purging their team of dirtbags. Got rid of 2 just yesterday.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
beastly115

Quote:
I still don't get why they'd trade Stastny...
Same reason TB is looking to trade Stamkos...

Old
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i hope we draft saad for jonathons reaction
Would he be...sad?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Would he be...sad?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Pugs35

They're replaying the 2010 Draft on NHL Network right now... I don't think I can relive the McIlrath saga again. Too soon.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Sounds like you have seen alot of him. I am only going off what the major scouting services were saying, and also some of the other smaller ones too.

Your description makes hm sopund more along the lines of a Petr Nedved. Is that what you are seeing in him?
I'm not too familiar with Nedved so i can't say anything about that really.

BTW i'm pretty sure Armia is only 185lbs or so not 197lbs like you said earlier.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
please god let this happen.

offdacrossbar - who do you like @ 15?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Brooks is just throwing names out there to create some confusion over who the Rangers are targeting. Probably at the request of the Rangers staff themselves.

It's all about not tipping your hand to other teams. Don't read too much into it.
the day the Rangers have that much control over their beat writers...

Old
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:

BTW i'm pretty sure Armia is only 185lbs or so not 197lbs like you said earlier.
Eh, Nedved was a big guy who didn't use his size (though he was also kind of skinny for being 6'3), more of a perimeter player with a great wrist shot that he was slow to get off. Good at hanging onto the puck but I don't remember him beating a lot of guys with stickhandling

Old
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:

Armia would be a great pick. Great one on one skills, hard accurate shot. His skating is a bit suspect but I think that's due to his physical immaturity. He has a good stride and once he fills out, that should take care of itself.

Does he go to the dirty areas or is he a perimeter player? You have him watched a lot, what are your thoughts?

Old
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Eh, Nedved was a big guy who didn't use his size (though he was also kind of skinny for being 6'3), more of a perimeter player with a great wrist shot that he was slow to get off. Good at hanging onto the puck but I don't remember him beating a lot of guys with stickhandling
His other problem was that he would shoot wide or high 90% of the time.

Closed Thread