HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa interested in Gaborik

Old
06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
I line this line:

Quote:
Gaborik is a supremely gifted winger, capable of owning any game he plays, but his character has been questioned in both New York and Minnesota, where his career began. If he ever came to Ottawa, he would be paired with Jason Spezza.
To even sniff Gaboriks jock they would have to throw in Spezza off the bat. Not that we want him anyway.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Starts with the #6 pick and you can add a bit from there.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:36 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
You guys can have Cowan for free. I don't know from who, though.
Saw what you did there.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I think you mean :

Gaborik, 1st round pick #15, Michael Del Zotto

for

Erik Karlsson, 1st round pick #21, Brad Richards

Not only is this terribad for Ottawa, but we take a jillion dollars of your cap space AND trade you a 20-year old all-star PMD (one of the better ones in the game) AND allow you to sign Richards. Where is the lube going to Ottawa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
I'd prefer to watch 2G1C then see this deal take place.
Please. I'm not saying Ottawa should do it, but it's hardly as bad as you're suggesting. Gaborik returns to form on a line with Spezza, and if you understand Gaborik's game (which I'll assume you don't, based on your response), his injury problems are much less worrisome if you put him on a line with a puck distributing playmaker like Spezza. Del Zotto is one of the better young offensive defensemen in the league. He had a sophomore slump last year. That doesn't make him a bust.

And as mentioned earlier, we don't need to make ANY deals to sign Brad Richards. We have the cap space already.

It's either Karlsson or the #6 pick. There's nothing else on the team I would trade Gaborik for.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzy8 View Post
The Rangers have said they want Richards, in order to do this they must dump Gaborik and his salary. If this happens I think Ranger fans will be disappointed with what they get in return. No one is going to pay a high 1st round pick plus young prospects for an injury prone winger
Things have changed, now I'd be surprised if Richards didn't sign in Philly. I'm sure most people are expecting it at this point.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I line this line:

To even sniff Gaboriks jock they would have to throw in Spezza off the bat. Not that we want him anyway.
That's what I mean, we're bad trading partners. Spezza's not for sale in this equation - and frankly, we CAN'T afford the price to acquire Gaborik. We're not in a position to do the Kings thing and get him with a blue chip, useful roster player + 2nd.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I line this line:

Really though?

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Why would they want Gaborik, aren't they rebuilding?

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
TOML

I'm seeing a pattern of NYR sucking up all the brutal contract demands in the NHL, washing them up for a couple years, and then distributing their carcasses back across the NHL. In particular, back to eastern Canada.

Richards will be in TO.

Eventually.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's either Karlsson or the #6 pick. There's nothing else on the team I would trade Gaborik for.
Yeah no thanks.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Things have changed, now I'd be surprised if Richards didn't sign in Philly. I'm sure most people are expecting it at this point.
Philly doesn't have the cap space...they have players to sign and just enough room to do that.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Philly doesn't have the cap space...they have players to sign and just enough room to do that.
They'll make room by putting Schenn in the AHL + unloading a couple more contracts + letting Leino walk. Richards is their target, I can't guarantee it, but I would be surprised to see him land somewhere else at this point.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
and if you understand Gaborik's game (which I'll assume you don't, based on your response)

Does his game include being benched in the playoffs?

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
They almost made a deal for him in 2008-09 season, the deal looked like this

Spezza

for

Gaborik
Cuma

Minnesota didn't want to do it because they didn't want to trade their first rounder and thought it was overpayment for Jason Spezza, also didn't need a number one centre.
They almost made a trade for a player they didn't need at a price they thought was too much? Are you sure "almost" is the word you're looking for.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
Why would they want Gaborik, aren't they rebuilding?
Relatively quick rebuild coming IMO, but still, we can't afford the pieces needed.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Dick Whitman

Gaborik makes sense from an Ottawa POV, but I'm not sure it makes one from New York's, unless they really want to clear cap space.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
gotmonte

I think if this went down it would be when the ottawa senators are about to pick. If there is a player the rangers covet maybe they can swing the deal?

I dont know how valid the source is or the rumor. I am just playing along.

Obviously the Rangers NEED scoring and of COURSE Gaborik will help. He had ONE down year. No need to go and give the guy AWAY.

To the fan who said he would take Gaborik for free. Can you PLEASE get a clue. I cant tell of you are being serious or sarcasm. But either way. Come on.

As for Spezza being the return package. I would LOVE it. I like Spezza much more than Gaborik. But that wouldnt happen (Again, I am not GM nor do I try and pretend like I have a serious clue as to what teams will do/can do/want to do).

I can see the 1st round pick in play. I dont know how the trade would work. Does Ottawa take the whole cap hit and just trade the 6th overall? Does Ottawa need to add a 2nd rounder to make it work? Does the Rangers need to add a Good Prospect to get the 6th overall and the second? I dont know.

I see how they are bad trading partners but I think the Rangers want to move up (as every other GM in the world) because at 15 it is a crap shoot. At 6 you are getting a good kid. Gaborik might have played his way out of Tort's favor. Maybe Tort's was mad Gaborik couldnt kick it up a notch OR TWO in the Playoffs? I dont know. THATS PURELY SPECULATION ON MY PART. No reports/articles/media claim this that I know of.

I like Gaborik. I dont like how he is always hurt though. If it isnt his groin its something else. If healthy I definately see a 40+ goal year. He is motivated to begin with to get last season's monkey off his back and prove himself again. He is an All-Star player when motivated. I think last year he dug himself such a whole quickly that he never could climb out. Even though there were times you would see him and go "man, this kid is about to break out". But it never came. The year prior to this 42 goals playing with crappy centermen. Not crappy but not all-world like B. Richards or a Stastny. So this guy can produce and produce at a high level. Now if B. Richards or Stastny sign/get traded to the Rangers... Watch out. Gaborik SHOULD have a career year than. Playing with either two players can be a dangerous combination to the rest of the league. Coupled with our great defense and awesome goaltending... it can be an exciting year to come. So to trade Gaborik it would have to be for something/someone exciting. So the draft pick would have to depend on if there is a lights out goal scorer. Hence me saying the trade would have to be done while the Senators are up for the pick. If there is a player the Rangers want than ok fine. If not, make the trade for scoring nhl ready player(s) or take a pass on the trade.

If the Rangers TRADED Gaborik away and got a really good young scoring forward that might entice Richards to sign with the Rangers to help mentor a young prodigy and get some nice assists and some goals for a Coach he loves. Its probably unlikely this scenerio happens and Richards might look at it that the Rangers signed a all world talent only to trade him 2 years later. Maybe B. Richards looks at the trade as "hey I dont want to become a Gaborik. Where I sign a nice long contract only to be traded to a team I dont want to play for". So right there you are GOING TO HAVE TO include either a NMC or a limited NTC. So for those reasons I doubt the Rangers are able to sign Richards unfortunately.

I would LOVE the Rangers to get the 6th pick or any top 10 pick to be honest but I just dont see it involving Gaborik.

Now Dubinsky and our 15th that should move us up into the top 8 no? Dubinsky depending on his next contract can be a young stud at a good cap hit. Kid plays with heart on his sleeve and just explodes when he hits players and he absolutely LOVES to score so he is always looking to pot that goal. But if he is playing with someone he meshes with (i.e. Callahan) he loves to dish the puck as well to help his partner. And he is great at passes and scoring. Not a 30 goal scorer. Not now at least. But he has some nice hands and stick deking capability.

I dont mind trading the kid because I know you have to give to get. But if you are trading Dubinsky and the 15th or just Dubinsky the player available at the 6th spot HAS to have a better ceiling than Dubinsky has. Otherwise there is no point in trading him. To be honest, I would rather trade Dubinsky into the top 5 spot (hate to say the Islanders cause I know that would never happen). If the Rangers are presented a chance to get into the top 5 I say Dubinsky and the 15th I would be satisfied trading. Otherwise I would take a pass if it cost more than that.

I know I went off a little bit off the beaten path but I figured instead of creating a new thread/post I would just say it all here.

I know I am wishy washy on this trade scenerio but I explained the reasons why I feel that way.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
crayzy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Dude, don't talk about the Rangers cap situation when you clearly know nothing about it. The cap just went up 4.9 mil. If necessary, we can buyout Wolski and save 3.3 mil. We have plenty of cap space for Richards.
Dude.... wow

crayzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:00 PM
jh477

I can see Ottawa's interest. The guy is a natural scorer and certainly the Rangers' most skilled forward. I'm not sure how good of a fit he would be with the Sens though. They're coming off a rather disappointing year where part of their core was traded, their head coach was fired, and a couple of their top players had significant injuries (Namely Alfie). I'm not sure this is the kind of situation Gaborik wants to put himself in at this stage of his career. He hasn't fully shaken his injury issues yet and he's at the age where skilled players often reach their apex, right around the late 20's. Not to mention the fact that Gabs is coming off a down season himself. Do the Sens really want to take on his contract and his injury worries just to get a legit scorer under 30? Especially with their current situation? I just do not see this happening. Stranger things have happened though.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:29 PM
trentmccleary

This makes no sense for a team that appears to planning on building around 6-8 players under the age of 21... only 1 of whom having played over 10 NHL games.

The wrong moves to speed up this rebuild are what's going to pull us into a permanent 8th-ish place mediocrity for half a decade.

I want the Murray's to build for a Cup, not worry about how many games they'll win next season.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Bringing in an oft injured player making big money in the middle of a rebuild sounds pretty useless to me.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
This makes no sense for a team that appears to planning on building around 6-8 players under the age of 21... only 1 of whom having played over 10 NHL games.

The wrong moves to speed up this rebuild are what's going to pull us into a permanent 8th-ish place mediocrity for half a decade.

I want the Murray's to build for a Cup, not worry about how many games they'll win next season.
You mean Ala' Rangers?

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Plenty of capspace and a lineup that looks like poop
I doubt very much you'd call a lineup with that blueline poop in 2-3 years lol.

With Hank in the net, Spezza Stepan and Anisimov up center ice -- no doubt, that team would be very strong in a 2-8 year span.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
crayzy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Starts with the #6 pick and you can add a bit from there.
lol No thanks, you can keep your overpriced winger who is lucky to play 35 games a year

crayzy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Kershaw

Prepare to give up Cowen or Rundblad.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote