HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal is Pierre McGuire's only chance to become a GM

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
E = CH²

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As most of you already know, Pierre McGuire is leaving TSN and joining NBC/Versus full time and will work in the American market more than the Canadian market going forward.

McGuire interviewed with Minnesota and Chuck Fletcher got the job, he also interviewed with Tampa Bay and Steve Yzerman got the job, Ottawa was (apparently) looking for a GM and never called Pierre and Winnipeg was searching for one earlier this month and did not hire Pierre McGuire either.

Here is why Montreal is Pierre's only chance to become a GM:

1) He lives in Montreal and is fluently bilingual
2) He is good friends with Geoff Molson
3) He has close ties and friends in Montreal, the media and within the Habs organization

Besides that, if Gauthier get's fired or resigns in the coming years, I can see McGuire getting a fair shot at becoming the next GM here in Montreal, and love it or hate it, the man knows the players, he knows his hockey and has been mentored by Bob Johnson, Scotty Bowman and Brian Burke in the past.

Discuss!
If we passed on Yzerman to get Gauthier, we won't fire Gauthier to get McGuire. At least I hope.

If we do, I'd be shocked and extremely and deeply disappointed in the habs and Geoff Molson.

The guy is a creepy flip flopping moron who interests no one as GM because he ain't no good.

EDIT:

I'm also curious to know how many of those who approve of McGuire vehemently oppose Roy as our GM because he's a hot head.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:47 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

God I hope not, his ego is too big for to be a GM, and there is a reason why he hasn't worked in the NHL in forever. He does knows his hockey, but he doesn't mean he know more than anyone else working in the NHL today, you would think a team would hire him at least as an Ast GM. Plus I don't find him to be all that great, he says things on TV that are smart and intelligent, but their is never anyone to tell the other side of the story. He went on saying how the Habs made a big mistake drafting Carey Price, with Theodore, and Yann Danis being in the system. Also I remember him bashing the Habs for taking AKost in 2003 during a Wash game and talks about how good the Wash scouts are but doesn't bring up them taken Eric Fehr one spot before Getzlaf, before Kesler,Richards,Burns, and Perry.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Pepin le bref

I don't care if he's entertaining, as someone said earlier, he flip flops to much on his analysis and I find him a little bit of a ''what have you done for me lately'' type. and he's creepy as hell

His Carey Price bashing at the 2005 Draft tells me why I would never wan't him to be GM for the Habs. He was flat out wrong.

He's not GM material, and if he really wants to become one, I sugess going threw the process and becoming an assistant first.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
NOT

A

CHANCE

there are way better candidates then him to be GM. If Gauthier ever went out, there would be a bigger chance for Jacques Martin to be GM

I dont see PG would loose his job any time soon, he is doing a pretty fine job so far imo.

I much prefer a cool collected private GM like Gauthier and Gainey than a crazy hot head like Mcguire or Burke.
Not to support McGuire or Burke, and I can only speak for myself, but the personality of the GM doesn't matter in the least, only the results do. Bring in whoever can get the best results, I don't care about his personality.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I think he would make too big of a change.

We have a good team, yet he would still come in and do a firesale to get the team exactly in his image. Similar to what Brian Burke did to Toronto. How well are they doing? Burke is trading away everything they have and he's, IMO, not helping the team long-term.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
1) He lives in Montreal and is fluently bilingual
2) He is good friends with Geoff Molson
3) He has close ties and friends in Montreal, the media and within the Habs organization
'

1) I live in Montreal and am fluently bilingual.
2) I dont know Geoff Molson but i drink Molson Export beer.
3) I have close ties and friends in Montreal, read the media and watch the Habs on TV.

See? I could be the next Habs GM too!

Old
06-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Let's hope not...the guy flip flops on his analysis every 2 days...huge mistake...
remember that he is a T.V personality...

the role of a T.V analyst is far different than the role of a G.M. He gets paid to make inflammatory remarks, and the more buzz he generates (positive or negative) the better he is doing his job.

watching him over the years, if you ignore or filter out the hyperbolisms, i think he's generally quite consistent in the way he evaluates players and it's pretty obvious that his hockey player I.Q is second to none.

Put PG in the T.V chair for a week and i think we'd quickly discover why we ended up with Gomez while he was the team's pro scout

Old
06-24-2011, 11:04 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
'

3) I have close ties and friends in Montreal, read the media and watch the Habs on TV.

You have my vote good sir!

Old
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
neofury*

The only riot I would approve of is the one that would happen the day he gets elected general manager of the Montreal Canadiens.

Why do you love the guy so much WestIslander? I've noticed in the past you genuinely like the guy.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
RE-HABS

Can't stand his colour on TV, but he seems to know hockey and if anything I think he is a guy who would take risks and chances like Holmgren and Burke.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

the role of a T.V analyst is far different than the role of a G.M. He gets paid to make inflammatory remarks, and the more buzz he generates (positive or negative) the better he is doing his job.

watching him over the years, if you ignore or filter out the hyperbolisms, i think he's generally quite consistent in the way he evaluates players and it's pretty obvious that his hockey player I.Q is second to none.

Put PG in the T.V chair for a week and i think we'd quickly discover why we ended up with Gomez while he was the team's pro scout
As a t.v. personality his job is to entertain, therefore, he says controversial things, what a shocker. I'm generally in agreement with this post.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
He would never chose a goalie at Number 5 OA. Cause he would flip out...

Can someone find that youtube clip with he freaks out about the Habs Taking Price 5th overall !?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqlktmUrc4

Old
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

And televise McGuire being interviewed by team presidents and I think it'd become obvious why he hasn't gotten that elusive GM job he's being politicking for for the past decade.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
neofury*

Whose to say Gomez doesn't bounce back? We may even win the cup with him or come close again. I'm willing to give the guy a clean slate for this season and see what he's capable of with an actual line.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Whose to say Gomez doesn't bounce back? We may even win the cup with him or come close again. I'm willing to give the guy a clean slate for this season and see what he's capable of with an actual line.
not that this is a Gomez thread, but I'm curious to know what a "bounce back" season for Gomez would be in your mind?

coming off of a 38pt campaign (despite top line EV & PP minutes, and having opportunities with all of our top wingers), it's almost unthinkable that he could repeat such a dismal performance... but is a 45pt season equate to "bouncing back"?

50?
55?
60?
70?

i'll assume we can agree that the odds of him "bouncing back" to the tune of the 80pt+ mark that earned him his current deal (and the only level of production that could justify his outlandish cap hit) is out the question, so what's an adequate "bounce back" in your opinion?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
So if he is not good enough for those other jobs why would he have a better chance here in Montreal? Maybe he just is not good enough, or does not have the right ideas to be a GM?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Hiring this weiner to run the Habs would be the equivalent of NASA going to a Star Trek convention to find someone to head up their aerospace program.
loll good one. This thread was funny but that killed it...

Old
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If Montreal is Pierre the monster McGuire's only chance at making the NHL as a GM, does that mean he has no chance at all.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post

Old
06-24-2011, 11:48 AM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
As long as he holds a press conference every week, I'm down. Guy is entertaining as hell.
Entertaining? WOW hahahahahha do you like Nickleback too?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:54 AM
jadensdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Stop crapping on the guy, he might be our next GM. He was upset at that draft because he thought we should have taken kopitar (big #1 center) or Staal (#1 defenseman) Was he wrong? It is an opinion, but both of his choices would have been excellent as well.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
Stop crapping on the guy, he might be our next GM. He was upset at that draft because he thought we should have taken kopitar (big #1 center) or Staal (#1 defenseman) Was he wrong? It is an opinion, but both of his choices would have been excellent as well.
He suggested Brule was a better fit on the radio. Kopitar was not really in play as he was considered a wild card, being from Slovenia and all. Staal is a good d-man, but he isn't in Price's area code in terms of impact. If Staal is your #1 d-man you're not a contender, he's more a #3 shutdown type on a contender(Adam Foote type).

Old
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Hiring this weiner to run the Habs would be the equivalent of NASA going to a Star Trek convention to find someone to head up their aerospace program.
This is definitely "signature" material. Nice post E_P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
'

Get outta here, I didn't know you could read.

As for McGuire, I highly doubt that we ever see him anywhere near the Habs management team.

06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
old scotia

If he was the GM last year the Beatdown in Beantown would have never happened. He would have had a player(s) there to protect other players.
Gauthier likes to see his players intimidated and beat up all over the ice. AND no on ice reponse to Chara's hit as well. Gauthier has pussifed the team.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:10 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadensdad View Post
They would have been great. But still the wrong ones. And it was Habs management that concluded that while Pierre Mguire lost his mind over it. Now he`s gunna eat those words for the next 10 years cause Price is the franchise.

Closed Thread