HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Atlanta?

Old
05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Atlanta?

While I realize news of the potential relocation of the Thrashers is relatively new (And still to be confirmed) I am wondering if Atlanta still has a hockey future.

Would it make sense for an NHL team to relocate their AHL affiliate there?

If so, is the current Thrasher fanbase something the AHL could work with or would the league need to take a completely new approach to building a successful operation there?

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I don't believe that it does. There is already an ECHL team out there that can satisfy the hockey market. It also widens the footprint for the AHL that is already being stretched. Since there are many teams that don't want or cannot afford to travel, widening the footprint would hurt those teams.

05-22-2011, 04:39 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

If the Thrashers do in fact move, I would love an Atlanta AHL team. Atlanta is only 4 hours away down I-85 from Charlotte and would create an instant rivalry.

I get the travel argument but Atlanta has one of the nation's biggest airport hubs. I'm not sure how often AHL teams do fly but I think the Checkers did a couple of times this season not including the playoffs.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

You do have some AHL teams playing in NBA Arenas, so I mean it could work. There is an ECHL Team(hoowever they should be in the AHL with how gigantic that building is) Maybe if they teamed up on an affiliation together, it could work. I know they affiliated before but Atlanta/Gwinnett hardly worked together, it was more of Gwinnett/Chicago, and Chicago doesn't work well with others apparently.

That area is big enough that i would consider 2 minor league teams something worth an attempt.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 08:35 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
If the Thrashers do in fact move, I would love an Atlanta AHL team. Atlanta is only 4 hours away down I-85 from Charlotte and would create an instant rivalry.

I get the travel argument but Atlanta has one of the nation's biggest airport hubs. I'm not sure how often AHL teams do fly but I think the Checkers did a couple of times this season not including the playoffs.
Atlanta Knights 2.0?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Tommy Hawk

Won't happen. ASG also owns the arena and the Hawks and the reason they want to get rid of the thrashers is so they can use those dates for more lucrative events such as concerts and disney on ice.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 09:24 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Atlanta Knights 2.0?
That only works if you bring back ANDY BEZEAU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Won't happen. ASG also owns the arena and the Hawks and the reason they want to get rid of the thrashers is so they can use those dates for more lucrative events such as concerts and disney on ice.
They can't get lucrative concerts now? Like during the summer? Disney on Ice? Lame, even my hometown with a 4K seater can get that lame act in.

Old
05-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

why not just play them in the current ECHL arena? It seats 11,500 people.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
why not just play them in the current ECHL arena? It seats 11,500 people.
Your proposing for an AHL Team there, correct? I don't think it would work if you went the Atlanta route with that. Gwinnett and Atlanta aren't even in the same county. I doubt your big city folk of Atlanta are gunna drive in horrible Atlanta, GA traffic to watch a team in Gwinnett(Duluth, GA) to watch a team called the Atlanta something or others. I think Gwinnett itself could work, but I think it would have to be a team for Gwinnett such as the Gladiators and NOT a team for the city of Atlanta)

Old
06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Apparently there are already rumors the AHL is looking at Atlanta/Philips Arena. So who really knows.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Apparently there are already rumors the AHL is looking at Atlanta/Philips Arena. So who really knows.
From what I have seen here the fan base is definitely there so it would definitely be in the league's best interests to give it a look.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

It's amazing they have the fan base for the AHL but not the NHL...

find a way to get the ECHL's Gwinnett Gladiators to the AHL and move the franchise from Gwinnett to Atlanta. I really don't think long term that area can support 2 teams, however if the 1 option as Gwinnett is the only one I don't see that working long term, atleast...not with the help of the Atlanta folk.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Any attempt to put a hockey team in Philips Arena while the current owners that ran the Thrashers into the ground still own Philips will be an utter failure.

I would not be surprised to see both an AHL and ECHL team in the metro Atlanta area, the area can easily support an NHL team that is managed and owned by people that care about the on ice product. The ECHL team was one of the best supported in the league while the Thrashers were in town, mainly because the owners of the team gave a crap about the team and their fans.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:30 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Or they just have the biggest arena in the league? Not many teams in the league have arenas even at 9K. I think the new Chicago team is the only other one out East. My hometown team in 4 seasons in the league has lead the league in sellouts every season totaing I think 36. Granted we only have a 4K seater. But attendance is overrated. You have one sellout crowd of 11,500 you could draw around 4 or 5K on a gamely basis the rest of the year and because of that one night you will still have a nice year attendance wise, which many teams can't even afford to begin with...

Who owns the Phillips Arena now? Is it still Sprint?

Rumor had it a group put in a 500 million dollar offer to buy the Arena, Hawks and Thrashers...but negotiations with Manitoba were well under way.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:45 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I'll bite into a different direction that just crossed my mind. Travel. Nobody is exactly close to Atlanta, not even Charlotte. Gwinnett has this same issue in the ECHL with SC, Florida and Greenville(though Greenville gives some relief they recently hadn't had.) Would it make sense to instead of thinking of franchises moving West, moving them South? Find a way to maybe get some of the northeast dying AHL markets into the ECHL and find a way for teams in these Southern cities to get into the AHL? An Atlanta/Gwinnett rivalry would be kind of cool. This would give charlotte a couple of teams as well. Personally the ECHL setup for Southern teams is dumb because most of the teams in the East are in the Northeast geographical area(except for Kalamazoo and newly added Chicago, but these teams are far closer to the others then the Southern teams are.)

Old
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
It's amazing they have the fan base for the AHL but not the NHL...

find a way to get the ECHL's Gwinnett Gladiators to the AHL and move the franchise from Gwinnett to Atlanta. I really don't think long term that area can support 2 teams, however if the 1 option as Gwinnett is the only one I don't see that working long term, atleast...not with the help of the Atlanta folk.
you don't need to sell out every game to be successful in the AHL like you do in the NHL, if you average 7-8k fans in the AHL you're in the top 5 for attendance, Atlanta could probably do that

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:12 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
you don't need to sell out every game to be successful in the AHL like you do in the NHL, if you average 7-8k fans in the AHL you're in the top 5 for attendance, Atlanta could probably do that
True, but how long would they accept the quality of lower level play?

Old
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
True, but how long would they accept the quality of lower level play?
Well, an even lower ECHL team has been averaging over 5k for years. The Preds AHL team in Milwaukee averages under 4k. I would love to get Nashville's farm team here.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:41 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

what other teams are they going to watch? There's no colleges with hockey down there, NHL is the only better league and they would have to take a trip to FL, TN, or NC to watch a game .. at least with a team there, it will give the hockey fans something to watch in person, ticket prices would be lower too which would make it easier for families to come (not that Thrashers tickets were very high to begin with) .... that being said, your point is noted, it would be interesting to see just how many fans are down there who would watch a minor league team in person over watching an NHL game at home or a bar, etc

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:07 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
The Preds AHL team in Milwaukee averages under 4k. I would love to get Nashville's farm team here.
What? The Admirals have never averaged under 4,000. The lowest their attendance has ever been was 4,574 and that was after the owner died and the team was put in a trust with little money to promote them. They averaged over 9,000 from 92-93 to 95-96 and have been between 5,300 and 6,000 since new ownership took over.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
what other teams are they going to watch? There's no colleges with hockey down there, NHL is the only better league and they would have to take a trip to FL, TN, or NC to watch a game .. at least with a team there, it will give the hockey fans something to watch in person, ticket prices would be lower too which would make it easier for families to come (not that Thrashers tickets were very high to begin with) .... that being said, your point is noted, it would be interesting to see just how many fans are down there who would watch a minor league team in person over watching an NHL game at home or a bar, etc
Actually that is not true about the colleges. I'm pretty sure UGA, Tech and Kennesaw each have a team. Granted nobody but the students probably knows this but that is a different story. As to Atlanta being able to support an AHL team, well we did support an IHL team before getting the Thrashers and that team was in the playoffs each year it was here and won the Turner cup in its second year.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:05 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Or they just have the biggest arena in the league? Not many teams in the league have arenas even at 9K. I think the new Chicago team is the only other one out East. My hometown team in 4 seasons in the league has lead the league in sellouts every season totaing I think 36. Granted we only have a 4K seater. But attendance is overrated. You have one sellout crowd of 11,500 you could draw around 4 or 5K on a gamely basis the rest of the year and because of that one night you will still have a nice year attendance wise, which many teams can't even afford to begin with...

Who owns the Phillips Arena now? Is it still Sprint?
Rumor had it a group put in a 500 million dollar offer to buy the Arena, Hawks and Thrashers...but negotiations with Manitoba were well under way.
Sprint has never owned Philips Arena. The Atlanta Spirit Group(ASG) owns the operating rights to the arena right now along with the Atlanta Hawks.

Old
06-24-2011, 07:34 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Sprint has never owned Philips Arena. The Atlanta Spirit Group(ASG) owns the operating rights to the arena right now along with the Atlanta Hawks.
Ahh, thank you. I knew it was something of an S. sorry i mixed them up, I knew it was Spirit, i'm not sure why i posted Sprint. I guess both things are so irrelevant to my life that neither thing really means anything to me, lol

Old
06-24-2011, 10:28 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
the way it works now an existing team has to be moved just as the Thrashers were to WPG, NOT likely you're going to see the expansion route if the cap is 30 in both leagues, not to mention the existing problems as the Thrashers/Jets/TNSE is having to set up 2 franchises in 2 different markets for October....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:02 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
What? The Admirals have never averaged under 4,000. The lowest their attendance has ever been was 4,574 and that was after the owner died and the team was put in a trust with little money to promote them. They averaged over 9,000 from 92-93 to 95-96 and have been between 5,300 and 6,000 since new ownership took over.
Apologies. You are correct .I didn't notice it was the playoff attendance and not regular season. 5,796 in the regular season and 3,563 in the playoffs.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php...e&season_id=36

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote