HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov back for 3 years @ 5.75mil/year

Old
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Markov's? Damn, I wanted to see that!
Should come out soon on RDS.ca. Just ended. Markov with his usual laid back attitude.

Journalist- "Do you have a NTC clause"
Markov - "I don't know".

Journalist - "Who's the first player you're gonna hit in practice"
Markov - "Jacques Martin"

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:34 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I know it's sacrilegious to talk about him, but one guy that this will help immensely is Gomez.

He desperately needs a guy like Markov to jump start the breakout. Looking forward to how this will impact him positively.
Yep and Gomez having a full line with also help a lot. I predict a bounce back season.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
So then.. second to Lidstrom?
If his first pass his second to none and yet it is better than all first passes, except for Lidstrom, then the logical deduction is... not what you said.

There is such a thing as =

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Was Komisarek the 2nd best defensmen of the team when he played with Markov? Emelin is the perfect partner for Markov because he is defensively aware, fast enough to support an attack, physical in his zone and can find chemistry playing a fellow Russian. It's not like he played 12 min a game in the KHL last season. Your attempt to be funny made you more clueless then anything.
All I need to know is if there's any reason to expect seeing Emelin slotted into the RD position of any pairing, let alone the top pairing, as part of his "adaptation". Educate me.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
HomaridII

For those that missed the press conference ...

habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
Will post full #Habs Markov interview this afternoon, probably longest of his career he joked

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
HomaridII

#Habs Markov asked if Game 1 was a good target for return: "Why not?

#Habs Markov asked if he'll go into corners differently: "Yes. I'll be more aggressive."

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Gotta love Markov's attitude. Straight to the point, no BS.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
All I need to know is if there's any reason to expect seeing Emelin slotted into the RD position of any pairing, let alone the top pairing, as part of his "adaptation". Educate me.
Don't bother. Just the fact that he has to adapt to the quicker pace and quicker decision making, is a huge hurdle to overcome. People who expect him to make top pairing right off the bat, or even by mid-season are having huge expectations. They'll be pissed when PG will probably sign someone to complete the top 4, and instead of realizing the obvious fact that Emelin is here on tryout, and that we need someone to stopgap the time for his adaptation, they'll **** on PG for 'blocking' the young guy they just signed.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
That doesn't mean it won't be tried.

It will depend on his adaptation. If he struggles, then it probably won't happen. But if he handles himself well, then I wouldn't be surprised if Martin puts him alongside Markov to see how he fairs off versus tougher opponents. They did the same with Komi.
I don't think it's that crazy to believe (that it could be *tried). I don't think it's any crazier to think he'll be in and out of the line up with Weber for most of the start of the year either.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

It will depend on his adaptation. If he struggles, then it probably won't happen. But if he handles himself well, then I wouldn't be surprised if Martin puts him alongside Markov to see how he fairs off versus tougher opponents. They did the same with Komi.
I don't think it's that crazy to believe (that it could be *tried). I don't think it's any crazier to think he'll be in and out of the line up with Weber for most of the start of the year either.
It took several years for Komi to reach the top pairing, it didn't take 20-40 games.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It took several years for Komi to reach the top pairing, it didn't take 20-40 games.
Everybody is assuming that Emelin's obviously ahead of Komi's progression based on the fact that he played in Men's league for all those years. Which is understandable. Yet again, there will be some adaptation for sure and I agree he should not begin on the top pairing but it's possible he ends up there as we go along. Though we did see stranger things....Lahti and Co have all been on our regular lineups before season starts...it should not be that surprising...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

But see, they "tried" Komi (after years, mind you) at RD because he is a natural right defenseman. If Emelin even does play well enough to earn top 4 minutes, it'll likely be in no small thanks to playing the LD beside either Gorges or Subban (i.e. whichever "natural" RD doesn't end up playing with Markov), NOT as the RD that will somehow vault either/both of them in Martin's depth chart (leaves Gill and Weber on the 3rd pairing and Spacek #7, for those keeping track at home).

So yeah, it IS a little crazy to imagine them trying it (on RD), but it isn't as crazy to expect him to jump over Gill on the left side of the depth chart.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Everybody is assuming that Emelin's obviously ahead of Komi's progression based on the fact that he played in Men's league for all those years. Which is understandable. Yet again, there will be some adaptation for sure and I agree he should not begin on the top pairing but it's possible he ends up there as we go along. Though we did see stranger things....Lahti and Co have all been on our regular lineups before season starts...it should not be that surprising...
Yemelin might have some adjustment to make, but compared to Komisarek his offensive hockey sense is miles ahead. He makes a good first pass and has poise with the puck. I think he'll need to be shielded a bit the first 5-6 weeks to 2 months but after that I think you'll see a guy taht plays like a veteran most nights.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Yes, but Emelin isn't a 20yo rookie playing in his first AHL season.
He's 25 and has been regularly playing in the KHL. I'm not denying there will be an adaptation phase, but I don't think playing alongside Markov as the season goes by should surprise anyone.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
But see, they "tried" Komi (after years, mind you) at RD because he is a natural right defenseman. If Emelin even does play well enough to earn top 4 minutes, it'll likely be in no small thanks to playing the LD beside either Gorges or Subban (i.e. whichever "natural" RD doesn't end up playing with Markov), NOT as the RD that will somehow vault either/both of them in Martin's depth chart (leaves Gill and Weber on the 3rd pairing and Spacek #7, for those keeping track at home).

So yeah, it IS a little crazy to imagine them trying it (on RD), but it isn't as crazy to expect him to jump over Gill on the left side of the depth chart.
I seriously don't think it's that crazy, but you don't expect him to be capable of playing on the right, and I have no idea if he'll be able to or not. I don't know if he ever did so in Russia. I also don't think this mean it wouldn't be tried. If he plays on the bottom lines, then he'll likely be on his natural side, but again, it doesn't mean they won't try him next to Markov. If he struggles on his right side, then they'll take him off. I'm talking about trying things out, not saying they will be successful.
I mean, they put Spacek, an aging veteran, on the right side for the first time in his career. Even worse, they kept him there despite some struggles.
So I don't think it's crazy to think Emelin could be tried alongside Markov.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yes, but Emelin isn't a 20yo rookie coming from the AHL.
He's 25 and has been regularly playing in the KHL. I'm not denying there will be an adaptation phase, but I don't think playing alongside Markov as the season goes by should surprise anyone.
Komi started with us at 23-24 (05-06, born in 82) when he played his first full season with the Habs, not 20. And it took him 1-2 years before making the top pairing. Komi had two previous stints of 21 and 46 games, prior to 05-06. He had his first full season on the top pairing in 07-08 (25-26).

Old
06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
neofury*

If Markov is going to try and be a more aggressive D for real and it's not just confidence, I really can't wait to see that.

If Emelin pans out and we'll be in a really good situation.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I seriously don't think it's that crazy, but you don't expect him to be capable of playing on the right, and I have no idea if he'll be able to or not. I don't know if he ever did so in Russia. I also don't think this mean it wouldn't be tried. If he plays on the bottom lines, then he'll likely be on his natural side, but again, it doesn't mean they won't try him next to Markov. If he struggles on his right side, then they'll take him off. I'm talking about trying things out, not saying they will be successful.
I mean, they put Spacek, an aging veteran, on the right side for the first time in his career. Even worse, they kept him there despite some struggles.
So I don't think it's crazy to think Emelin could be tried alongside Markov.
Is it purely the Russian language thing that makes you think they'll even consider putting Emelin on the top line with Markov, despite being his "unnatural" side? It's not like they find time to debate the finer points of international environmental initiatives out on the ice. Simple commands, knowledge of a system, comfort in a system, execution of a system... that's all you need. The language thing only really becomes an asset in practice and off-ice (i.e. NON game situations).

Old
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Don't bother. Just the fact that he has to adapt to the quicker pace and quicker decision making, is a huge hurdle to overcome. People who expect him to make top pairing right off the bat, or even by mid-season are having huge expectations. They'll be pissed when PG will probably sign someone to complete the top 4, and instead of realizing the obvious fact that Emelin is here on tryout, and that we need someone to stopgap the time for his adaptation, they'll **** on PG for 'blocking' the young guy they just signed.
Well, I won't speak for everyone else, but my first view is that it will be hard for me see Markov being a top pairing, first shutdown d-man as soon as he gets back. He's played 50-odd games in the last 2 years. He's going to need to be eased back.
Second point is that with Emelin crossing the pond and probably speaking ZERO English, playing him with Markov will make it a lot easier for him to transition than say, playing with Josh Georges or, God forbid, Spacek.

Remember how bad PK looked when playing with Spacek and Picard at the start of last season?

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Is it purely the Russian language thing that makes you think they'll even consider putting Emelin on the top line with Markov, despite being his "unnatural" side? It's not like they find time to debate the finer points of international environmental initiatives out on the ice. Simple commands, knowledge of a system, comfort in a system, execution of a system... that's all you need. The language thing only really becomes an asset in practice and off-ice (i.e. NON game situations).
And it doesn't take Einstein to learn a few simple words like "shoot" "pass" "go" "Stay" "check him".

Unless Emelin is a total retard, he'll have all the words he'll need before camp ends.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
eddy

Dont know if it's been posted yet but TSN.ca has the interview up now, parts of it anyway.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Habs

One more knee injury, and he should be put down.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Protest the Hero

Just saw the interview on TSN, awesome guy.

"So did you do anything last night to celebrate?"

"No, as you can see I'm fresh".

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
MTL-rules

I'm a strong believer in Yemelin talent, but I don't want him close to the Top 4 role, yet. I'm tired of seeing Markov bbysit his partner Komi, Gorges, O'Byrne... enough. Ideally a Bieksa, Burns, Salo... Gorges could work out alright... but not a rookie.

As for PK, we need him on a second pairing... I want Markov or Subban on the ice for 50min, not 25min.

Right now, without any change, here's my lineup :

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Yemelin/Weber

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
Well, I won't speak for everyone else, but my first view is that it will be hard for me see Markov being a top pairing, first shutdown d-man as soon as he gets back. He's played 50-odd games in the last 2 years. He's going to need to be eased back.
Second point is that with Emelin crossing the pond and probably speaking ZERO English, playing him with Markov will make it a lot easier for him to transition than say, playing with Josh Georges or, God forbid, Spacek.

Remember how bad PK looked when playing with Spacek and Picard at the start of last season?
Actually, Emelin doesn't need to play with someone who speaks Russian. He'll only have to learn the few keywords words he'll need.

And... both Spacek and Hamr could easily communicate with him, as their language is very similar.

People should put into their heads that the two biggest issues Emelin will have to deal with are timing, and language. Now, putting him with someone who speaks the same friggin language can be as effective as someone who doesn't, because they AREN'T the ones who are gonna teach him English, he'll have a teacher for that. The biggest obstacle is timing, of action and reaction, and putting him on his unnatural side would be TWICE the adaptation.

If Emelin is not comfortable on his unnatural side, logically, you won't put him on his unnatural when he also has to learn the new pace. There's still nobody who's reported him playing on the right side, so for now, all we know is that he's a natural lefty and should be used as a lefty.