HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Smyth to Calgary close

Old
06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

vCash: 500
Flames will likely get him for a late rounder, than swap him for a 2nd at the deadline.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
But seriously why the **** do they want him?

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Taylorhall4EDM

Trade your top defenseman to make room for an aging winger with a huge cap hit

derp

Taylorhall4EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
saillias

The deal can be so "close" that Ryan Smyth's ugly nose is touching Regehr's giant ear, but it doesn't matter unless Regehr waives his NMC. Praying he doesn't.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jarome

I rather sign tanguay at 7mil for 1 year than take on ryan smyth.

jarome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gags89

Nooooooo. Screw you Tambo

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Why does anyone want this guy at that cap hit? He's terrible. $6+ mill per year for a 35 year old sub-50 point winger?

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
jh477

I'm a big Ryan Smyth fan and I appreciate Dean Lombardi as a good GM, but Calgary? Really? I can understand Lombardi wanting to unload his contract, but does he really have to trade Smyth to the Oilers deadliest rival? He was an Oiler for over a decade, he bled their colors and stomped on Flames jersey's for most of his life (figuratively). He is a professional though, and if he does go to the Flames I'm sure he'll be as good a player as he's always been.

This is just something I was hoping I would never see. Ryan can wear the Flaming C but he will always be an Edmonton Oiler.

On a side note, why don't the Kings keep him? Do they not have the cap room to keep both him and Doughty? He would make an excellent 2nd line LW with Richards in the middle.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
This is just so weird.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh477 View Post
I'm a big Ryan Smyth fan and I appreciate Dean Lombardi as a good GM, but Calgary? Really? I can understand Lombardi wanting to unload his contract, but does he really have to trade Smyth to the Oilers deadliest rival? He was an Oiler for over a decade, he bled their colors and stomped on Flames jersey's for most of his life (figuratively). He is a professional though, and if he does go to the Flames I'm sure he'll be as good a player as he's always been.

This is just something I was hoping I would never see. Ryan can wear the Flaming C but he will always be an Edmonton Oiler.

On a side note, why don't the Kings keep him? Do they not have the cap room to keep both him and Doughty? He would make an excellent 2nd line LW with Richards in the middle.
Rumors are he wants to be close to home or at least in Alberta.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Tyrolean

Good. Edmonton doesn't really need Smyth that badly. Oilers save their money for a more youthful and useful veteran.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags89 View Post
Nooooooo. Screw you Tambo
You want Tambellini to get in to a bidding war over this?

No thanks. If Smyth goes to Calgary, so be it.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
neofury*

Calgary has become the Leafs of the West (pre-burke edition)

They're scrambling to pick up overpaid players re-signing players who didn't even play well for them and making slanted trades all the time.

I used to root for Calgary in the playoffs but honestly I don't see them being more than an 8th place team at best 1st round elimination 4-5 games.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

dont blame Lombardi.. He wants maximum return for an asset. Smyth has a NMC and if he waives it to go to CGY then its all him. He'll become public enemy #1 in EDM in no time.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Good. Edmonton doesn't really need Smyth that badly. Oilers save their money for a more youthful and useful veteran.
The Oilers have plenty of capspace for a guy on the books for one more year. He'd be a very good role model for the young kids.

Sexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fsanford

Quote:

I think the Kings would keep him, but there are some family issues so they are trying to accommodate him.

The story making its way around, is the Oilers want the Kings to take back the contract of Souray. No way L.A does this. If they are going to trade Smyth they do need to free up some cap space to try and sign a decent replacement for him.

Seems Tambellini is not a sentimental guy.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:25 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymistri View Post
Figure this is a good spot for my 1st post.

The past few years a lot of people have ragged on the Oilers and Leafs. The Flames are quickly becoming a bigger joke.
It doesn't seem to make much sense for the Flames to get older and slower. Just a really puzzling move. It seems like Feaster is following the Sutter model.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

TSNBobMcKenzie

Smyth deal is there to be done for draft pick(s) only, but CGY ownership currently debating whether it wants to take the plunge. #tsn

Hallelujah

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlamesFan18

Quote:
Smyth deal is there to be done for draft pick(s) only, but CGY ownership currently debating whether it wants to take the plunge.
DONT TAKE THE PLUNGE

FlamesFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Tambellini is a ****ing bum for letting this happen. Unbelievable he couldn't offer a late round pick.
Because Smyth is going to be the difference between another lottery pick and playoff contender? No thanks. I'd rather the kids get more ice time to develop. A "Smyth" type player might be wise to pick up once all the kids have matured but not now.
Tambellini is thinking with his head, and not the fans tears.
As Ryan Smyth said 4 years ago "that ship has sailed"

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie

Smyth deal is there to be done for draft pick(s) only, but CGY ownership currently debating whether it wants to take the plunge. #tsn

Hallelujah
Umm correct me if I am wrong, But we cant make this deal anyways as it would put us nearly 3m dollars over the cap.

I thought we had to wait for July 1st?

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Trollmark*

These are my reactions, protrayed by the beautiful Cheryl Cole.

1. SMYTH TO EDMONTON??

2. SMYTH TO CALGARY??

3. GETTING CLOSER TO CALGARY??

4. AHH WELL, OLD/OVERPAID/NMC, PERFECT FIT, I HAVE ACCEPTED IT

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:29 PM
victor

If Smyth goes to Edmonton, who's minutes get cut? Left wing currently has Hall, Pajaarvi, Jones, and potentially Hartikainen. Right wing has Hemsky, Eberle, O'Mark, and likely a bruiser like MacIntyre (or a rook like Hamilton.)

Ignoring the money aspect, the age aspect, and just looking at the current team - if you got Smyth for free, who's minutes do you cut, and why?

PS: All the best in Calgary, Ryan. I hope the fans there don't turn on you when they realize Feaster is trading Regher and Tangay for Smyth.

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eberlehall*

Smyth wants the Oilers, Oilers do not want him for his price/LA's price. Only reason to want him would be for the kids and fans.

No idea at all why the Flames want him. They have no youth at all.

eberlehall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zetterberg4Captain

this really seems pretty stupid to me from a flames perspective.

in fact i actually thought this season they would attempt to shed salary by moving both regher and bouwmeester and accept a rebuild is not only inevitable but overdue.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote