HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big contract to PHO for Jovo

Old
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Gaborik is the only one that comes to mind. We have no reason to move Drury for Jovo.
How does that come to mind? That trade would never happen in 2 billion years.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
What is Phoenix's current situation with the cap floor? Maybe Maloney told Sather if you can convince Drury to just accept we can use the cap space and give you the rights to Jovocop and not sign him July 1. But then if Drury's on LTIR that makes no sense, ah **** it. Could it be Redden and they use him as a healthy scratch every game?

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

Actually Drury to Phoenix for Jovo's rights wouldn't be the most absurd thing ever.

Phoenix gets some general easy cap help, Rangers get a chance to negotiate with Jovo in case he's interested in staying for real cheap...could still help on the PP, but they aren't locked into any contract with him and can let him walk

I'd actually be pretty happy if it went down like that

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Actually Drury to Phoenix for Jovo's rights wouldn't be the most absurd thing ever.

Phoenix gets some general easy cap help, Rangers get a chance to negotiate with Jovo in case he's interested in staying for real cheap...could still help on the PP, but they aren't locked into any contract with him and can let him walk

I'd actually be pretty happy if it went down like that
I think we'd still have to give them something to take Drury, but I don't think it'd be significant (~2nd round pick or less). If Phoenix wants to move up a bit in the draft:

Drury + 15th pick for Jovo + 20th pick

would be a great trade for both sides (as they have plenty of cap space and wouldn't have to pay Drury a lot of money, if he's collecting insurance).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Levitate

I wouldn't really give up anything to trade Drury...especially not moving dow in the draft without getting a 2nd or third back

Old
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
beastly115

Wait... someone explain to me why exactly Pheonix wants Drury? He'll most likely never play for them. They don't need to reach the floor. They pay him 5M to sit on LTIR? Why would they do that?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Levitate

They'd actually only pay $1 mill. I wasn't sure where they were at in regards to the floor. If they don't need help getting there then nah they don't really need to do it

Old
06-24-2011, 11:41 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They'd actually only pay $1 mill. I wasn't sure where they were at in regards to the floor. If they don't need help getting there then nah they don't really need to do it

I was just going off what RangerBoy posted earlier in the thread.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Wait... someone explain to me why exactly Pheonix wants Drury? He'll most likely never play for them. They don't need to reach the floor. They pay him 5M to sit on LTIR? Why would they do that?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his whole career ending injury situation would mean that insurance would cover 80% of his salary?

So they'd only be paying 1 million, but would obtain a 7 million dollar cap hit, helping them get to the cap floor.

EDIT: Lev beat me to it.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his whole career ending injury situation would mean that insurance would cover 80% of his salary?

So they'd only be paying 1 million, but would obtain a 7 million dollar cap hit, helping them get to the cap floor.

EDIT: Lev beat me to it.
Makes sense and it's legal, although Bettman won't like it. Hey! That's the best reason of all to do it! Drury would have to waive the NMC!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
BringBackLibertys

To all those saying they are at the floor, they have 31mil in contracts, with 4 rfas. They are not at the floor at all, and if they want to just resign rfas and bring up rookies, they would still need a few million to get over the cap.

BringBackLibertys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Eklund may have the details wrong but a little birdie told me that Jovo's rights could definitely end up with the Rangers.

That could be a really good move. Jovo's going to be 35 this week so that sets off a contract alarm but he's still a pretty good player. It's going to have to be a base+bonus deal. Really hampered by injuries last year. Has become more of a shutdown defenseman the last two years but can still move the puck and he's a good locker room guy. At the right price, he's a better third pair option than most and very capable of playing top 4 when needed. Also good power play guy. Just not able to play 22-23 minutes every night like he used to.

Re Phoenix: their league mandated budget is cash, not cap. Maloney wants to spend money and he has money to spend. Getting players to take it is the problem. The only way Maloney takes a dead contract back is if it is packaged with a viable asset.

And BTW, Eklund didn't have the Richards rumor first. He copied what others were reporting. Like he usually does.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Blueblood 2

EK does have Flyer contacts if nothing else. He gets stuff last minute but he does get it seconds before TSN. If he checks his Blackberry in time!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Levitate

Hah, god, Jovo has been rumored to the Rangers for yeaaaaaaaaaaaars

but as a vet 3rd pairing guy it might not be bad if the money is right.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:24 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I said the exact same thing (as did almost everyone else) when Eklund reported that Richards was also going to be traded (after Carter was) yesterday.
Yeah, but Ek reported that AFTER the top NHL guys did.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Not from what I saw. If you go dig up the Trade board thread, Eklund got ripped on hard for reporting that Richards was also on the move first. Then others reported it too, and people were shocked.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Cawlidge Hawkey
NCAA ** Juniors

Funny how Drury could possibly be a hot commodity to teams needing to reach the cap floor.

Cawlidge Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
nope. he was before. I was following it pretty closely.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:41 PM
free0717

Jovo rights for dury

Makes sense for both teams

PHO point of View. New Cap floor is 48.4 Million Taking Drury on LTI adds 7.05 to there number but with insurance it only costs them 1 Million dollars. Actual savings in real dollars is 6.05 million.

Ranger POV. Takes that 7.05 Million off there Summer Cap. Allows them to sign Richards and there Group II RFAs. Leaves some $$ to sign a couple of lower level UFAs to fill out roster.

Win-Win for both teams. Just have to convince Drury to waive the NTC.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
RidinwitdaKING

so how would Jovo's money be to our Cap if we take him and dump Mccabe?

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

MaybenSather is attempting to find a new home for Redden.... Good for team good for player....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madillsux View Post
so how would Jovo's money be to our Cap if we take him and dump Mccabe?
Both players will be UFA on July 1st, so there's no impact on the cap.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
MaybenSather is attempting to find a new home for Redden.... Good for team good for player....
No team is going to pay Redden 7M to play in the NHL after he spent another year getting older and playing in Hartford (not really at an All-Star pace either).

He's gonna have to no-show in Hartford in Spet., have his contract voided and then hope someone will take a run at him for 1M or so if he wants to lace them up with the big boys again.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Drury to PHO makes sense. A lot of sense. If Drury waives his NMC, this could be a really beneficial trade. We get rid of Dru, and Phoenix gets $7M on their cap to get to the floor. Only pays $1M thanks to insurance, as has been stated in here earlier. I'd actually really want this to happen. Who knows, maybe Jovocop will sign a cheap deal and be a decent veteran presence on the 3rd pairing.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Eklund may have the details wrong but a little birdie told me that Jovo's rights could definitely end up with the Rangers.

That could be a really good move. Jovo's going to be 35 this week so that sets off a contract alarm but he's still a pretty good player. It's going to have to be a base+bonus deal. Really hampered by injuries last year. Has become more of a shutdown defenseman the last two years but can still move the puck and he's a good locker room guy. At the right price, he's a better third pair option than most and very capable of playing top 4 when needed. Also good power play guy. Just not able to play 22-23 minutes every night like he used to.

Re Phoenix: their league mandated budget is cash, not cap. Maloney wants to spend money and he has money to spend. Getting players to take it is the problem. The only way Maloney takes a dead contract back is if it is packaged with a viable asset.

And BTW, Eklund didn't have the Richards rumor first. He copied what others were reporting. Like he usually does.
This covers it all. The only thing is, I want no part of Jovocop given the direction the team is going. I don't want to give him a 35+ contract. The biggest issue is Chris Drury waiving his NMC. Why would he? He wouldn't, and he wont.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote