HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Big contract to PHO for Jovo

Old
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
You'd just give Jovo a 1 year contract

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sather moves a 7 million dollar injured player for a pending UFA?

Sounds, oddly, believable.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
This covers it all. The only thing is, I want no part of Jovocop given the direction the team is going. I don't want to give him a 35+ contract. The biggest issue is Chris Drury waiving his NMC. Why would he? He wouldn't, and he wont.
As long as we don't sign him to more than 1 year (assuming we would even sign him), it isn't a 35+ contract. I can't imagine Sather would give him more than 1 year.

As far as Drury waiving his NMC, why would it matter to him if he's not going to play again? It shouldn't matter to him who sends him his checks.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Gaborik is the only one that comes to mind. We have no reason to move Drury for Jovo.
Surely you are mistaken. Drury would be off our cap, Phoenix only has to pay the $1M premium (speculation) on Drury's insurance policy to get $7M in cap.

Jovo is UFA so no big deal there. I doubt we sign him. God, I hope we don't sign him. We have enough D as is. I doubt he'd take a 1 year contract.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:44 PM
beastly115

If we did this trade I wouldnt want to sign him. At most a 1 yr contract for 2-2.5M would be my limit. Didnt he make like 6m on his current deal? I doubt he takes that big of a paycut.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If we did this trade I wouldnt want to sign him. At most a 1 yr contract for 2-2.5M would be my limit. Didnt he make like 6m on his current deal? I doubt he takes that big of a paycut.
I thought it was 7m, either way....Awful.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Not from what I saw. If you go dig up the Trade board thread, Eklund got ripped on hard for reporting that Richards was also on the move first. Then others reported it too, and people were shocked.
I stand by this statement. Ek called Richards far ahead of anyone else. I, along with the rest of HF, thought he lost his marbles but it was really Holmgram who lost them.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Chalfdiggity3

I honestly dont understand why some Ranger fans would be opposed to making a swap of Drury for Jovo. This clears out Drury and his ridiculous contract, freeing up more money in order to go after Richards and having more capspace for any type of trade that is being explored. We dont have to resign Jovo at all..

Sounds like a huge win for the rangers. Not sure how anyone can argue the downside to a deal like that

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:48 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jovo Cop? The bonuses would still count against the cap. There is no bonus cushion.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

bi-polar Ranger fan syndrome? When did shedding Drury's cap hit and salary become such a bad thing? So what if we get a impending UFA? Worry about it if we sign him but for the time being, getting $7M of cap back is an epic win.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jovo Cop? The bonuses would still count against the cap. There is no bonus cushion.
Who said he's getting bonuses? Who said we are even signing him if we do trade for his rights? Sather isn't going to break the bank for him.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Phoenix needs to trade for Drury's $7M cap hit to reach the floor? They have $32.3M committed not counting Oliver Ekman Larsson. They can't $16M to spend to reach the floor without Drury's contract. They need a #1 goalie. Yandle will cost $4M. They have to fill out their roster.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Who said he's getting bonuses? Who said we are even signing him if we do trade for his rights? Sather isn't going to break the bank for him.
Bobhop

Why even bother looking at a player like Jovo right now? Later in the summer,when everything has settled out.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Bobhop

Why even bother looking at a player like Jovo right now? Later in the summer,when everything has settled out.
Look, I have no interest in Jovo, but if we can trade Drury for his rights, I'm all for it. If Sather wants to offer him a cheap contract to be our 7th dman, whatever. He can take it or leave it. Sather can be an idiot, but I can't imagine him throwing much money at Jovo.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Not against trading Drury's contract for Jovo's rights. Not sure why Phoenix would do it. The $7M cap hit helps Phoenix reach the $48.3M floor. The salary is $5M and insurance pays the contract after 30 games. Phoenix doesn't need to acquire Drury's contract to reach the floor. They have been a playoff team the last 2 years. They are not the hopeless Florida Panthers. It would ironic if a team owned by the NHL needed to take on a bad contract just to reach the floor. Teams complain about the Rangers burying money in the minors and want it changed in the next CBA. They don't say anything when the Islanders reach the floor with Yashin and Witt buyouts,DP being hurt most of the year and performance bonuses.

Maloney's budget is supposed to be around $56M

Quote:
The NHL salary cap will be announced in late June and could reach $63.5 million, with the floor at $47.5 million. Maloney, operating for the third year in a row under league-mandated restrictions, will learn his bottom line shortly, and it is likely to be around $56 million; last year, only eight GMs had worked with lower budgets than Maloney.

Maloney said that the Coyotes' strategy will not be to concentrate on signing players at or near the league minimum - as they did with the recent re-acquisition of center Petteri Nokelainen - but believes getting players in that range opens the door in the quest for higher-end free agents.

Maloney said Nokelainen fit a specific role, adding: "So, no, I wouldn't say that's accurate that we're just looking to sign as many guys at league minimum as possible. Our budget will be expanded . . . and then it's finding the people that fit into the holes we have with the resources we have available."
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz1QDs6lKOW

I read this a few weeks which is why Phoenix's "interest" in Drury

Old
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Look, I have no interest in Jovo, but if we can trade Drury for his rights, I'm all for it. If Sather wants to offer him a cheap contract to be our 7th dman, whatever. He can take it or leave it. Sather can be an idiot, but I can't imagine him throwing much money at Jovo.
Mike Barnett is the Jovo guy. He signed him in Phoenix. No more Barnett guys. Enver Lisin. No more Doug Risebrough guys either. Derek Boogaard. Todd White. Torts didn't want White on the roster. White's contract served his purpose in the Brashear/Rissmiller trade. Someone in Rangers management wanted to give Whitey a chance so the Rangers kept him around and he eat up $1M in cap space. Sather's golf buddy from Palm Springs. Risebough.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Hockey View Post
This covers it all. The only thing is, I want no part of Jovocop given the direction the team is going. I don't want to give him a 35+ contract. The biggest issue is Chris Drury waiving his NMC. Why would he? He wouldn't, and he wont.
Drury already collect 30 million from the Rangers. Doing this wont cost him a penny. Whats the difference if the Paycheck say Phoenix Coyotes or New York Rangers. Wont help or hurt Drury either way. He is going to be sitting @ home in his house in Trumbull CT.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Bobbop

I think Rangers are going to sign a defenseman between now and July 2. I love the kids but a steadying influence will be good for the team. Knowing what's out there, Jovo seems like a real good value to me. I saw him play 30-35 game this year and he is still a quality NHL defenseman. He's not a $6.5mm player any longer but a good signing as a $2.5MM player who can still give you 15-18 high quality minutes a night. Great as a third pair guy, serviceable on the second power play unit and a nice mentor to young defense. Plus, he can step in to the top two pairs for a short period of time if someone gets injured. Would you rather have Jovo or Eminger? For an extra million, he's well worth the contract.

Last edited by bobbop: 06-24-2011 at 02:55 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

And let me reiterate, Phoenix has no interest in acquiring players merely to hit the cap floor. This is a win now team. Maloney has a cash budget (probably the league midpoint) and he wants to spend every last cent on productive players. The problem is that nobody, including the Coyotes own free agents, want to sign given the uncertainty here. He may take a bad contract off someone's hands if he thinks they can rehabilitate the player, but not a dead contract. Trading Bryzgalov and not signing Jovanoski has taken over $10MM off the Coyotes payroll from last year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Phoenix needs to trade for Drury's $7M cap hit to reach the floor? They have $32.3M committed not counting Oliver Ekman Larsson. They can't $16M to spend to reach the floor without Drury's contract. They need a #1 goalie. Yandle will cost $4M. They have to fill out their roster.
What does everyone think about something including:
Gaborik ($7m+) + X
for
Yandle (estimated to go up around $4m)?

Maybe Gaborik + Girardi + something minor
for
Yandle + Yotes first pick 2011 and something in between, not minor or major...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
Somehow managing to pawn off both Roszival and Redden to the same team would be hilarious
I just shat!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Rust Heisenberg

they did a study on eklund and how often his rumors come true.

3 % or 1 in ever 30 rumors he posts comes true...

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I could see it being Gomez to PHX.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
gotmonte

quick question. Why is everyone thinking the RANGERS are trading a big contract for Jovo?

All I see in the headers in "BIG CONTRACT FOR JOVO". Doesnt even SAY rangers?

Maybe I am missing something.

Anyways, why would be going nuts to clear cap space just to take Jovo on?

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote