HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Glove fit

Old
06-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Ziggyjoe21

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Glove fit

Should your gloves be tight on your hand or loose? According to the glove fitting charts online, I need a 13"-14" size glove. When I tried on several gloves at the store, the 12" fit me well. It's somewhat tight, but it feels good, not small or anything. Is there a standard way to judge your glove size?

Thanks in advance

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's very much personal preference and gloves fit all over the map. There are tighter fitting gloves (like Bauer Supremer) and loose fitting gloves (like Bauer 4-Roll) and in between (like Bauer Vapor). I would try on everything and then get the glove that feels the most comfortable in the store. Also, if your glove has leather palms and gussets (the part that connects the palm of the glove to the hard shell), it might loosen up after a few uses, so take that into consideration.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'8 and use 12" 4-roll gloves that fit a little loose especially after breaking in. The 13" gloves fit great in the store but they were huge after a month, so I went down a size. But I also have 13" Supreme gloves that fit tighter and didn't break in much at all because they are made of more synthetic materials.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Sigge

Great to hear that they get a tad bit larger with time.
I got my gloves the other day, a pair of bauer vapor x20's 15".
I have not got wide hands by any means so in terms of width they fit just fine, I do however have pretty long palm and fingers so the 15" feels just a little off in terms of length for my fingers and thumb.

Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
AIREAYE

Why not go to an LHS, try on gloves and buy it there?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Sigge

There hardly are any real hockey shops around here, however I visited the only one I know about here..
The largest pair they had was a bauer 4-roll something, 14" and they didn't fit me overly well in terms of length and the 15" gloves where the largest I could find to order so I ended up trying that.

That's also the reason why I ended up buying a entry-mid level gloves which wasn't overly expensive! got mine for 40 which didn't feel all that bad to be honest.

Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
How long do gloves usually last you guys? I got a pair of Warrior gloves. The palm material is not leather, I think it's a microfiber. My biggest concern is the material on the palms ripping.

Again, thanks for the info.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

you want the finger pads to extend past the tip of your fingers while you hold your stick. Trust me if you have ever had someone get there stick blade in your hands you will know why.

A buddy of mine bought some used pro gloves at a sale and the pro (I can't remember who) had the palms tightened by pinching them together and sewing them but I'm sure the finger length was normal from the finger marks on the gloves.

I wear my gloves louse because while I play my hands sweat and my hands stick to the palms and I want to be able to get my gloves off in a hurry when I need to.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
AIREAYE

If you guys treat your palms well (aren't too hard on them, dry after games) and dont play every single day, they should last you quite a while.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
How long do gloves usually last you guys? I got a pair of Warrior gloves. The palm material is not leather, I think it's a microfiber. My biggest concern is the material on the palms ripping.

Again, thanks for the info.
I have a pair of 4 year old RBK 4 roll gloves I use. I dry them every time I use them but they smell like feet one in a while. when they stink to bad I start using hand sanitizer before I put them on. I glob the H/S on and after 4 skates the gloves smell much better.

I have friend with 20 year old glove, and I have friends who cut the palms out of there gloves too.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Usually two seasons before the palm is trashed for me. I've re-palmed but at $30 per glove the last couple times I've just bought new gloves on clearance. I actually don't really like the $200 Eagle and Warrior gloves so the ones I like I can find between $70-100 on sale.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote