Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Heat McManus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
This league is turning into the AAHL by the day.
Biggest difference, players got paid in the FHL.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:59 AM
billycanuck

The SPHL has had ECHL and now CHL franchises/markets join their league. Will there be a time when we see a ECHL team join the FHL? IMO, no. The FHL labels itself Single A hockey, so does the SPHL, but the SPHL has a far better product, business model, and rinks.

Yes, the FHL pays it players, but that was one season. Will the teams be able to sustain themselves after the expansion of 3 (possible 4, still hearing conflicting things with Green Mountain) and one of those franchises being located in Illinois.

Niagara Falls still has no rink agreement, dressing room, coaching staff, and marketing/business knowledge. They are located in a hockey saturated market with the OHL Ice Dogs a few minutes away and the league proved last year with Broome County that a big tenant will take away gate revenue.

The Outlaws will be playing a rink fit for only high school or pay-to-play Jr.A and will most likely require deep pocketed owners in order to cover payroll and travel expenses.

This next season could be the make or break for the league. Heck the AAHL managed to drag out 3 (sort of) seasons.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

I think they will be okay, Danville has a clear disadvantage so they might not make it, and theres concerns about the other expansion teams as well, but I feel the league has strong teams in the five original members, apart from Danbury, they may only be successful financially if they're successful on the ice but all in all I think the majority will survive. This is what needs to happen in minor league hockey for success in the future, as long as there are owners ready to start up a team, keep testing markets, some will survive, some will fail. And some that fail might be able to pick up the pieces with a new organization that learned from the last one.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
The SPHL has had ECHL and now CHL franchises/markets join their league. Will there be a time when we see a ECHL team join the FHL? IMO, no. The FHL labels itself Single A hockey, so does the SPHL, but the SPHL has a far better product, business model, and rinks.

Yes, the FHL pays it players, but that was one season. Will the teams be able to sustain themselves after the expansion of 3 (possible 4, still hearing conflicting things with Green Mountain) and one of those franchises being located in Illinois.

Niagara Falls still has no rink agreement, dressing room, coaching staff, and marketing/business knowledge. They are located in a hockey saturated market with the OHL Ice Dogs a few minutes away and the league proved last year with Broome County that a big tenant will take away gate revenue.

The Outlaws will be playing a rink fit for only high school or pay-to-play Jr.A and will most likely require deep pocketed owners in order to cover payroll and travel expenses.

This next season could be the make or break for the league. Heck the AAHL managed to drag out 3 (sort of) seasons.
Not to rain on your parade or anything Billy but a group tried to get a team in Johnstown I recall(via Facebook)but they were shot down and were told the arena was too big, LOL. I guess there goes the hope for Wheeling when they kick the bucket. I know fellow Jackal fans would like to join the league because it's the closest thing to the old UHL.

Old
06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I think it's just 2. Danville and Niagara Falls and they both seem sketchy right now. The Rock Crushers folded before they ever hit the ground.
How in the blue hell do you figure Danville is "sketchy?"

You seem to think this is your personal forum, seeing as how you make most of the posts in it. So regale us with your "wisdom" as to why Danville is "sketchy," since you seem to know everything there is to know about this league.

Hint: if you've got nothing other than the fact that Danville is remote from the rest of the league's teams, then you've got nothing.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

You seem to think this is your personal forum, seeing as how you make most of the posts in it. So regale us with your "wisdom" as to why Danville is "sketchy," since you seem to know everything there is to know about this league.

Hint: if you've got nothing other than the fact that Danville is remote from the rest of the league's teams, then you've got nothing.
Thats actually a lot to consider. How often have you followed A Hockey? Other then the SPHL it really hasn't worked and being out on an island like Danville is I can't imagine will help the cause. Sure, it's a personal opinion but i'm sure i'm not alone in thinking that this isn't the novelst of ideas in an A league.

I actually hardly follow the FHL. I've personally never taken in a game, but I am a diehard minor league hockey fan and have followed minor league hockey for quite awhile to have an idea on what works and what doesn't. I will say they weren't the only team slated to be in this geographic area in the league but Cincinnati never panned out for whatever reason.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:13 PM
arlingtonway

"a group tried to get a team in Johnstown I recall(via Facebook)"

I think you are confusing the NPHL with the FHL on this point.

"I think it's just 2. Danville and Niagara Falls"

just for the record dont forget the NJ Outlaws, NJ, Niagara, Danville makes 3

Old
06-24-2011, 10:54 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

I think he was referring to the shady ownership in Barry Saskin, READ HERE, the failed attempts of other teams in Danville (including a USHL team), and the fact the team is so isolated from the other clubs which will cost them a lot of money in travel expenses.

It will be interesting to see if the community will support this club, otherwise this team will stand to lose a lot of money.

Quote from article about Soskin:
Quote:
Soskin has a history in junior hockey of owning and folding teams.

In 1998, he was sued for $29,626.41 over non-payment of employee leasing services while the owner of the now-defunct Nashville Nighthawks.

Soskin signed a four-year contract to run the Toledo Storm of the East Coast Hockey League in September of 2005, but the Storm -- a Detroit Red Wings affiliate -- folded in 2007. Soskin founded the Storm, and owned the team from 1991-98.

He also owed money to many sources when the Enforcers folded, said Marchand and Jeff Price, who ran the pro shop at Centre ICE while the Enforcers were tenants there.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:28 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I think he was referring to the shady ownership in Barry Saskin, READ HERE, the failed attempts of other teams in Danville (including a USHL team), and the fact the team is so isolated from the other clubs which will cost them a lot of money in travel expenses.

It will be interesting to see if the community will support this club, otherwise this team will stand to lose a lot of money.

Quote from article about Soskin:
Honestly no, I stand by my stance, but that helps. I forgot about him. Put 2 and 2 together and the ending doesn't look favorable. Travel costs are my biggest concern, history plays itself out. I guess things could change regarding support from the community.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:52 PM
billycanuck

Has anyone been inside the rink where the 1000 Island's Privateers play; Bonnie Castle Rec Centre? According to Wikipedia and local newspapers the rink can seat 3500, making it the largest rink in the league (larger than Danbury's).

I have found this YouTube vid that offers a little view inside, but it looks rather small.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

I used to play there growing up, it is small for 3500 .. maybe they're including standing room?

Old
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
"a group tried to get a team in Johnstown I recall(via Facebook)"

I think you are confusing the NPHL with the FHL on this point.

"I think it's just 2. Danville and Niagara Falls"

just for the record dont forget the NJ Outlaws, NJ, Niagara, Danville makes 3
No, this was for what would have been the 2010-2011 season. Isn't the NPHL a new league that will start up this year?

WOW this league can't be for real. no updates on the site since February 1st.

http://www.nphlhockey.com/franchise-locations/

Quote:
MICHIGAN
OHIO
WISCONSIN
WEST VIRGINIA
KENTUCKY
ILLINOIS
INDIANA
PENNSYLVANIA
Looks like they are desperate for franchise ownerships with a "Franchise Inquiry" tab.

Here is an email with the league from way back this winter:

Quote:
To Whom it may Concern:

I am interested to see you league develop and move forward. However not much information is out there. I hope you could answer some questions for me.

1) Who are some of the people involved with the new league?
The people involved in our league (although we cannot name anyone until all parties have been finialized) are all hockey people looking to bring true professional single a hockey to the northern United States.

2) Is this league a reincarnation of the AAHL, FHL, NEHL, EPHL?
The NPHL has no connection with any of those leagues.

3) Any interest from the league in going to the South Central PA (York County) or in Baltimore, Maryland?
We have not recieved any inquiries for those areas but interest has been made in Johnstown, PA.

4) Will the league be looking at cities that have left the ECHL, CHL, AHL?
Yes, we believe with the worlds economy the way it is, many cities cannot support AA hockey. Thus lowering costs and making it possible for owners to succeed.

5) Have any potential owner come forward?
There has been a lot of interest from many groups.

6) Who is being Considered for Commissioner?
We are interviewing as we speak. We do not want to announce anything until we know its 100 percent done.

7) Will Mr. Cashman or the founder of the MAHL have any involvement in the league?
NO.

8) What are potential budget cost per team in the league?
$200,000-$400,000

I look forward to responses to these questions and wish you and your league much success.
I'll give you credit on Johnstown(not that i ever really denied that it was possible per say) it's just a different year, keep in mind this league was formed around December/January.

Last edited by SFTC Addict: 06-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old
06-27-2011, 06:11 PM
arlingtonway

The site might still be up but the NPHL as of right now is a no go, and the bring the NPHL to Johnstown facebook page is still up.

Old
06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
The site might still be up but the NPHL as of right now is a no go, and the bring the NPHL to Johnstown facebook page is still up.
Figured. The lack of updates gives it away...

Old
07-02-2011, 07:32 PM
billycanuck

NJ Outlaws release jersey designs

Knock offs of the Halifax Mooseheads 3rd jersey.

Last edited by billycanuck: 07-13-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old
07-03-2011, 06:03 PM
billycanuck

Article on the happenings in the FHL:
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=3187534
Quote:
"It's not going to affect us that much in terms of attendance, (because) we have a pretty set, loyal fan base," said Winston Auld, general manager of the junior C Chippawa RiverHawks. "We don't want them (the Nationals) here for the impact it will have on sponsorships. There are only so many available sponsors."
Still no word if the Nationals have a lease on the rink to actually play games.

Quote:
The franchise (Green Mountain Rock Crushers) was announced in the spring, but it has folded without playing a game, without doing, well, anything, really. So the FHL will plough into 2011-2012 with eight teams.

But that is, of course, subject to change.
I spoke with someone in the front office and said that the Rock Crushers are still franchise, but didn't state if they are still part of the FHL.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Article on the happenings in the FHL:
http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=3187534

Still no word if the Nationals have a lease on the rink to actually play games.

I spoke with someone in the front office and said that the Rock Crushers are still franchise, but didn't state if they are still part of the FHL.
Billy your back!!!!!

This nationals team worries me quite a bit, so does Danville.

That statement on the Rock Crushers is false, they held a camp...so they did do something. Have no idea what happened after that.

Old
07-03-2011, 09:45 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Knock offs of the Halifax Mooseheads 3rd jersey.

Those are nothing special, atleast give the hoodlum a gun!

Old
07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Interesting article today:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4248982

Quote:
Northeast U.S.-based pro circuit sees talent base, attendance improving
Danville is in the Northeast?

Quote:
The FHL is entering its second season after finishing with five teams in the first year, and is now up to eight teams in Year 2. The footprint ranges from the southernmost team in Brooklyn, N.Y., home of the New York Aviators, north to Jay, Vt., home of the expansion Green Mountain Rock Crushers

Uh, what happened to Danville? The Rock Crushers live on?

Quote:
The western tip of the league is represented by the expansion Danville (Ill.) Dashers, and the footprint ranges east to Yarmouth, Mass., home of the Cape Cod Bluefins.
Ahh, silly me...yet Brooklyn NY is the southern most part, yet Danville is on an island...

Quote:
"There are pockets where there are neither college nor professional sports, whether it be baseball or arena football or anything," said Richards.

Besides light travel, the league also keeps costs low by not having "franchises" such as those in the NHL or AHL, but rather "league members," which cuts back on some legal costs related to the franchise law.
Nice but last year you had no Danville, we will see how well that works.

Quote:
That said, the league did see a 100 percent increase from the regular season to the playoffs, and Richards is hoping those game attendees will return next year.

"This year, we won't have some of the same problems we had last year. The people in these towns know the talent level, they know there's a team in their town now," said Richards. "If they went to one or two games last year, maybe they want to come back for eight to 10 games this year. We have some identity in those towns that we didn't have last October."
Your right. Travel with teams to and from Danville will be an interesting experiment.

Quote:
In the future, the league is hoping to move some of its teams from playing in rinks into more small arenas.

"Our goal is to eventually change the venues. The Gale Center, just rebuilt in Niagara Falls, is a horseshoe shaped arena and at the end without seating, there's a restaurant," said the league's chief administrator Phil DeFranco. "Palmer Arena, where Danville (Ill.) Plays, seats about 4,000. We don't want to put on hockey games, we want to put on hockey events."
Wouldn't moving to arenas over rec rinks mean you would need another fan base that might not be there?

4,000 people seems like too much to aim for.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
billycanuck

Green Mountain not playing this year

Quote:
Rock Crushers Update for the 11-12 Season

Please be advised that the Green Mountain Rock Crushers will not be fielding a team in the FHL for the 11-12 season. The management of the Rock Crushers are working towards icing a team for the 12-13 season. Any players who were offered a PTO, should contact Andy Richards at 267-261-0887 or thefederalhockeyleague@yahoo.com. All other business questions should be directed to the Commissioner at dlkirnan@aol.com. Thank You.
http://rockcrushershockey.pointstrea...crushershockey

Got a feeling this club may not be back for the 2012 season either.

Well, one team down before puck drops.

Old
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
http://rockcrushershockey.pointstrea...crushershockey

Got a feeling this club may not be back for the 2012 season either.

Well, one team down before puck drops.
Well, don't tell the league that I guess. According to them they are in, LOL.

BTW....Welcome back Billy!

Old
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I have a question....

That article I posted said there would be 8 teams playing this season(including the Rock Crushers) now they are not. Eventhough the league hasn't announced it yet......

Somehow if you take out the Rock Crushers you have 8 teams now, so wouldn't it have been a 9 team league with Green Mountain involved?

Green Mountain and the Frenzy still show up in the team tab(but without their nicknames....or in the Frenzy's case a city name)

Old
07-14-2011, 12:21 AM
arlingtonway

1. Danville
2. Danbury
3. Brooklyn
4. New Jersey
5. Niagara Falls
6. Akwesasne
7. Cope Cod
8. 1000 Islands
-----
9. Green Mountain

Not that it counts as an official announcement but a few days the FHL posted something on their facebook page about the rock crushers sitting out the year. I bet thats the extent of their comment

Old
07-14-2011, 04:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Mod note: Sales or links to sales sites is NOT ALLOWED on the HF Boards. (Excluding face value tickets, and only as directed by the mod(s) of each forum.)

(So do not link the Barons jersey for sale on a well know site. 'K )

If you really want to advertise on HF Boards - check out the Partner Program.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 07-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old
07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Frostbite Warrior

I have a question! Why would Vermont want a hockey team and then they announce they do not want one! This is my opinion but if i was an owner of a team i will keep my promiss to the fans and play hockey!

Closed Thread