HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drafting injured players

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Kevo

vCash: 500
Drafting injured players

Imagine my surprise when I logged in this morning to see a Rangers article. I was as equally as surprised that it was current and I did not see a profile of Christian Dube.

I am not quite sold on the strategy of drafting injured players. I understand their thinking, getting a higher value player than the slot they are picking. However, I feel that a player's ability to stay on the ice is as important as their skating ability, size and overall game.

Call it what you will, but some players are injury prone and some are not.

Thoughts????

Old
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
broadwayblue

there's a difference between having an injury and being injury prone. i'm not saying which our guys are, but there is a distinction.

Old
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Kevo

Agreed....but drafting already injured players (espically in high rounds), gives you better chance of getting an injury prone player.

Old
08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
nyr7andcounting

Depends on the injury. Most players drafted into the NHL don't play with the Rangers or Hartford with years. If they have an injury when they're 18 it's not a big deal, as long as it's not something that can occur again (like concussions or something)

Old
08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Fletch

Injuries are part of the game...

it could be a coup to draft a player who missed a fair amount of time and as a result his draft positioning drops significantly. You can also draft a healthy player (Eric Lindros) and basically by 27 he's missed signifcant playing time and contemplating retiring. Hollweg missed about an entire season and plays in most of the Wolf Pack games last season. It's all over the place. But it's a risk/reward scenario. You're not going to draft a guy who's lost signifcant time due to injury in the first round - too high a risk. You may draft him later if the reward is high.

Old
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Edge

The bottom line is that at some point, just about everyone in hockey gets injured. It just happens.

Drafting an injured player is a risk because you dont have the clearest picture of what you're getting, but it does have some perks.

Had Saur not been hurt, he's a mid to late first round pick. You take a chance, get him in the second and hope it works out.

Dan Fritsche is a good example of that. He's a great prospect who has already seen the NHL.

Old
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
An injured player will always be less likely to get injured again in the future. The only real exceptions are possibly knee (Bure) and post-concussion syndrome (Lindros) / anything nervous (Blackburn).

Old
08-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Levitate

i think with sauer, his "injury' was something that was fixed permanently with the surgery. could be wrong though

Old
08-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Fletch

I don't understand this:

'An injured player will always be less likely to get injured again in the future', Not sure it makes much sense. While a player with an injury isn't guaranteed to get hurt again, I don't think his odds go down. Heck, some come back from major injuries to have decent careers (Kovalev tore his ACL in 1997 - a few decent seasons, and mostly relatively injury-free, and he's still playing.

Injuries that keep 17 year olds out for extensive periods of time scare away scouts. One, it could hinder their development. Two, injuries scare people - it's just nature - and I venture to guess that kids that have surgeries and injuries when the were 16-18, tend to often have injuries later in life too (who was the recent guy who was almost a Net but they declined due to an injury several years ago?). If you do your homework, you can make out pretty good. But, it's still a chance, and as Edge said, without the injury, he Sauer probably would've been a first rounder. If he stays healthy, he could end up being a steal.

Old
08-30-2005, 07:33 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think with sauer, his "injury' was something that was fixed permanently with the surgery. could be wrong though
\

Sauer's injury from what I understand was not hockey related, but a congenital hip problem from his physique. Problem runs in family. He has surgery on both hips, 1) to fix injured hip, 2) to prevent other hip from developing torn muscle that plagued him last year. Supposedly surgery was a sucess. Again this was not hockey related, just affected his skating ability. He skated pain free at NYR training center and said he felt 100%.

Old
08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
bmoak

Sauer's borther had the same congenital problem with his hip corrected by surgery and he's in the NHL today.

Old
08-30-2005, 11:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Sauer's borther had the same congenital problem with his hip corrected by surgery and he's in the NHL today.
Yeah, I've read the same thing - which I find particularly encouraging if he really was supposedly a first round talent who slipped based on the surgery. Fixing a congenital defect - especially if there's another family member who demonstrates the success of such a possible correction, is WAY different than, say, post concussion syndrome.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:25 AM
shoothepuck

Drafting an injured player, like signing someone with prior injuries, always has risks involved. While most players do have some injuries during their playing days most don't have to retire because of them. When you draft someone with an injury, the risk of the damaged player not being able to play at full NHL potential is always there, and management should shy away from these players. That being said, Sather has a history of signing the walking wounded, expecting miracles. Modern medical science has not caught up with Sather's expectations yet. Frankenstien is wating to be signed

Old
08-31-2005, 08:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
An injured player will always be less likely to get injured again in the future. The only real exceptions are possibly knee (Bure) and post-concussion syndrome (Lindros) / anything nervous (Blackburn).

How do you figure this?

Old
08-31-2005, 12:02 PM
eco's bones

I don't know if I worry about Sauer and Cliche and their injuries. Certain recurrent injuries is a good reason to back off somebody for instance concussions, operations on the same knee, shoulder problems. It sounds as if Sauer has gotten a clean bill of health--and hopefully he'll be okay. Even so a 2nd rd. pick is not a shoo-in for an NHL career and there will be players drafted around him that won't make it whether it's because of injuries or not. If the Ranger's believed he should have been drafted much higher and at the same time their medical staff okayed him I don't really see much of a problem with them drafting him.

Last edited by eco's bones: 08-31-2005 at 12:03 PM. Reason: change wording
Old
08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

The good- Petr Sykora, would have been a top five pick before he hurt his shoulder before the 1995 NHL Draft. Slide down to the late teens and New Jersey picked him up.

The Bad- Adrian Foster. Devils took a chance a guy who barely saw the ice in two years but if healthy, Foster would have been a top five pick.
Adrian Foster is about another medioucure season away from being a complete bust. The guy just can't stay healthy.

Its all a crap shoot.

Old
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
There was some talk that, because of his injury, that Sauer wouldn't opt into the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

My thoughts, he wasn't hurt significantly by the injury, in terms of where he went in the draft.

Old
08-31-2005, 01:05 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
How do you figure this?
Law of averages.

Old
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Law of averages.

Explain.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Explain.

I think he may mean this...

If, let's say, we average out the number and/or severity of injuries for every NHL player throughout their career and it turns out to be, let's say, 5 injuries, then having gone through an injury or two in their pre-NHL career, they should have less injuries over the remaining course of their career to average out at 5. That, I believe, is the theory.

As far as the theory manifesting in any practical way whatsoever, I am highly doubtful.

Closed Thread