HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Talbot moving on

Old
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
alx83*

vCash: 500
He'll be a Duck.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
When people refer to players supporting their families, it's understood that they have a wife and progeny to pay for. Not bachelors supporting their mom, dad, brother, sister, aunt, or second cousin thrice removed.

Jesus, the **** that has to be explained on this site.
OK so Talbot plans on being single his whole life? I mean, jesus at the age of 27 years old he's already missed out on the chance to start a family. Right?

The point is that he deserves a raise, no matter how pissy Pens fans are that he didnt score 30 goals in Crosby and malkin's absence.

Talk a look around the league. There are lots of 3rd liners who contribute to a team who make 2-plus million a season. Jody Shelley makes more than him. I can understand Pens fans wanting the money to go elsewhere, but saying he doesnt deserve a raise is friggin lame.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'm not surprised really, there's been uncertainty about him resigning. Whilst I think all Pittsburghian's will be eternally grateful for the goals against Detroit, there's better options available.
I always thought it was Pittsburghers

Old
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
OK so Talbot plans on being single his whole life? I mean, jesus at the age of 27 years old he's already missed out on the chance to start a family. Right?
Let it go. You obviously assumed he had a family to support, but he's a bachelor. No big deal, it happens.

But don't play like when you said "shame on Talbot for wanting to do what's best for his family" that you meant some indeterminate potential future Talbot family. That's just sad.

Quote:
The point is that he deserves a raise, no matter how pissy Pens fans are that he didnt score 30 goals in Crosby and malkin's absence.
Most Pens fans I see aren't bothered. Talbot's been a solid bottom 6 player for us (and stepped it up in the playoffs) who's slid a bit the last couple years, but because Pittsburgh has several cheaper in-house bottom 6 options, he might be expendable.

Talbot's experience and PKing will probably be worth a raise to another team, just not to the Pens.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
AltDess

Quote:
German Way of War
King of Prussia
Dude, I taught you everything you know!

AltDess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I truly believe he ends up in Montreal. Just seems like they can't resist not going after him. I think he gets a 3 year deal from the Habs at about 1$ million.

Another team I really see a fit is the San Jose Sharks. The report is they aren't resigning Nichol and Mayers and Talbot can fit in nicely with the Sharks bottom 6. He brings Stanley Cup experience and goes to a contending team. Something I think Talbot is also looking for. Because, lets face it, Talbot turns it up a notch in the playoffs. A 3 or 4 year deal around 1-1.2$ million I can see the Sharks offering.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:24 PM
SJSharkzie

Talbot would fit in well with the Sharks right now with Nichol and Mayers leaving. We need a pk guy like him. If we get Talbot and then a good d-man we would be in good shape.

SJSharkzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Miller Time

i'm hoping he winds up in Montreal...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Let it go. You obviously assumed he had a family to support, but he's a bachelor. No big deal, it happens.

But don't play like when you said "shame on Talbot for wanting to do what's best for his family" that you meant some indeterminate potential future Talbot family. That's just sad.

Most Pens fans I see aren't bothered. Talbot's been a solid bottom 6 player for us (and stepped it up in the playoffs) who's slid a bit the last couple years, but because Pittsburgh has several cheaper in-house bottom 6 options, he might be expendable.

Talbot's experience and PKing will probably be worth a raise to another team, just not to the Pens.
This.

Some team with a ways to go to the cap floor may even give him a nice raise on a one or two year deal.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:41 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I think the Islanders would take him even if he is a bit gutless.

His best friend plays here so that's something. But on the other hand it would be a 4th line center role so I'm pretty sure he can do better than that on a better team.
Islanders might let Gervais go though, Not sure how Talbot is gutless or whether he'd want to play for the Islanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Talbot, join armstrong and be our second 3rd liner with elite character... 3 years for 2.2mil? you guys are bro's with crosby so you can talk about him all the time....
Talbot isn't good enough to be a full time 3rd line centre (on a playoff team), He's ideally a 4th line centre (I think he'd be OK as a 3rd line wing not centre) who is clutch but injury prone who doesn't always perform his best during the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I don't doubt that at all. I was just saying he is worth his salary at the very least.
He's not worth much more than he currently makes, he's a 4th line centre at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
Buddy Talbot carried the pens to win the cup 2 years ago
No he didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Meh, I don't know about Talbot. Certainly wouldn't give him a 3 year deal though. How are his faceoffs? That's what we need the most out of our bottom 6'ers if Hall leaves.
He's not great on faceoffs, usually hovers just under 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
He'll be a Duck.
I think California living would agree with Max.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:45 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Is he an orphan? Was he found in the woods by a couple of beavers?
I'm referring to the fact that he's not married and not living with his parents. I'm pretty sure his parents are full capable, self respecting people who resent the idea of being on their son's back, sooo..........

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
odishabs

habs?

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:48 PM
jh477

Once upon a time Talbot was the Pens most important bottom 6 forward and a solid leader on the team. For whatever reason it seems like his role was diminishing to that of a regular Grinder/Fighter type. A team like Tampa or Buffalo or Anaheim or Columbus will pick him up and get good use out of him.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:

Talk a look around the league. There are lots of 3rd liners who contribute to a team who make 2-plus million a season. Jody Shelley makes more than him. I can understand Pens fans wanting the money to go elsewhere, but saying he doesnt deserve a raise is friggin lame.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
sawtooth420

If any team is dumb enough to give him more than 3 years and over $1.4m/year I will bet that said team buys out his contract after second year. If he never scored those 2 goals in game 7, he'd never garner attention. Mike Rupp and Fedotenko also scored 2 goals in a game 7 and look how fast their polish wore off. I'm grateful for what Talbot has done, but I don't want him back on the Pens at league minimum. He's totally worthless during the season, small, can't fight, and really doesn't offer much. The only thing he's got going for him is timing. Long after hoping for any production from him, he'll strike like a snake and do something useful such as Carcillo fight, and scoring against Detroit. Other than those two moments, he's been a disappointment. But those are the only things people remember, not how easily he loses the puck, the moronic penalties he takes, the invisibility cloak that he wears.

God bless Max! Hope you get your money!

sawtooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

How much is he demanding?

Old
06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
How much is he demanding?
I don't know. Presumably more than the near league-minimum that Pens youngsters like Letestu, Jeffrey, and Vitale would cost, though.

Old
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Krnage

bring Talbot to Montreal please

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:39 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

I love how "decides to look for more money" is "moving on". Hahahah!

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth420 View Post
If any team is dumb enough to give him more than 3 years and over $1.4m/year I will bet that said team buys out his contract after second year. If he never scored those 2 goals in game 7, he'd never garner attention. Mike Rupp and Fedotenko also scored 2 goals in a game 7 and look how fast their polish wore off. I'm grateful for what Talbot has done, but I don't want him back on the Pens at league minimum. He's totally worthless during the season, small, can't fight, and really doesn't offer much. The only thing he's got going for him is timing. Long after hoping for any production from him, he'll strike like a snake and do something useful such as Carcillo fight, and scoring against Detroit. Other than those two moments, he's been a disappointment. But those are the only things people remember, not how easily he loses the puck, the moronic penalties he takes, the invisibility cloak that he wears.

God bless Max! Hope you get your money!
Id take Tablot at 1.4 over Cooke at 1.8 any day of the week.

Cooke bring shame to the club, Tablot got em the cup.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Id take Tablot at 1.4 over Cooke at 1.8 any day of the week.

Cooke bring shame to the club, Tablot got em the cup.
Cooke has also been a substantially better player for the last couple years. He scores more, he's comparable defensively, he's better on the forecheck, and he's a far superior hitter.

But more importantly, the Pens can replace what Talbot does from within. Not the case with Cooke.

People are letting Max's Finals performance from two years ago and Cooke's reputation cloud their judgement.

Old
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Cooke has also been a substantially better player for the last couple years. He scores more, he's comparable defensively, he's better on the forecheck, and he's a far superior hitter.

But more importantly, the Pens can replace what Talbot does from within. Not the case with Cooke.

People are letting Max's Finals performance from two years ago and Cooke's reputation cloud their judgement.
Yep. Behind all of the headshots/dirty play is actually a damn good hockey player.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

It's pretty easy to let Cooke's reputation cloud your judgement. He's a humongous piece of crap.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:04 PM
ChiTown Flyer

I hope he signs with the Flyers just because he was hilarious on 24/7 last year and I would love him back

ChiTown Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It's pretty easy to let Cooke's reputation cloud your judgement. He's a humongous piece of crap.
So was Claude Lemieux.