HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

With the #10 pick in the first round, the Wild select Jonas Brodin(now signed to ELC)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
  #51
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Well, cant do nothing about you not having a clue about who he is.
Im not saying he would have been picked first, but more point projection with the talant he has he would have been up there and an absolute lock for top 10.
"More point projection an he would have been a lock" is sort of like saying "Brad Staunitz would be a star player if he just scored 50 goals.

llamapalooza is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
  #52
melinko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 3,742
vCash: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
not one Wild fan has been happy yet... aka No one so far.. you were the most optimistic with "intersted"
I'm happy, I think Armia is going to bust bigtime and Murphy is too risky.

I'll take a Swede who is said to never make mistakes plays meaningful minutes and scores no points like every other Swedish prospect in the SEL.

This feels a lot like the Granlund pick.

melinko is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:01 PM
  #53
icing
Registered User
 
icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
I've actually one of the few guys here who's seen him playing in Elitserien.
Well, ok. I still believe it was a good pick. I think he will turn out to be a really solid player for the Wild.

icing is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
  #54
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And if any Wild fan can give me a substantive reason why they don't like Brodin, I'm interest in hearing it, but I'm guessing most of us will look at the stat line and get pissed. I admit, I know nothing about him, so I'm interested in seeing what happens. As of now, Fletcher and Co. deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting, so we'll see.
bare with me, broken right hand, hard to type...

Brodin is small, skinny & doesn't put up points. Also is years from being ready if he even makes it that far. Only 2 people, both from Swedin, have said anything remotely good about him & he's yet another D on a team with no offense..

I see absolutely no reason to be excited...

Im interested in hearing a reason why we should be happy?

besides "trust fletcher" what's should we be happy about with this pick?

se7en is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
  #55
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
I believe that you're wrong. Big time.
no. most wild fans (at least on this boards) new very little about him and were surprised by the pick. (because they new little about him). All people knew was that he was an undersized forward. There was a good amount of *****ing about picking granlund.

Casper is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
  #56
icing
Registered User
 
icing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
"More point projection an he would have been a lock" is sort of like saying "Brad Staunitz would be a star player if he just scored 50 goals.
Well, did Staun(b?)itz get picked top 10 without high point projection? Guess there is something more to Brodin then.

icing is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
  #57
Pajicz
Registered User
 
Pajicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country:
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And if any Wild fan can give me a substantive reason why they don't like Brodin, I'm interest in hearing it, but I'm guessing most of us will look at the stat line and get pissed. I admit, I know nothing about him, so I'm interested in seeing what happens. As of now, Fletcher and Co. deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to drafting, so we'll see.
I don't like him because he's a typical "meh" player; smallish, invisible D-man. May be reliable, but I would've really wanted Beaulieu.

Pajicz is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:05 PM
  #58
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
not one Wild fan has been happy yet... aka "No one" so far at least.. you were the most optimistic with "intersted"
Well 2 if you include myself, oddly enough I think we're the only 2 on this board to have mentioned him pre-draft as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
funny, but I believe these reactions are the EXACT same reactions that occurred when granlund was drafted.
Not quite. Granlund was a little more popular and was seen as the savior of Finnish Hockey. Personally, I'm happier with Brodin this year than Granlund last year, but that's because I like Gormely ALOT. No one left @ 10 this year did I like on the level of Gormely last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up7Yours View Post
But Granlund was PPG in a men's league, Brodin has not been anything spectacular during his season
Better league(IMO), harder position to score points(which isn't the best part of his game like it is Granlund's), on a championship winning team.

saywut is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:05 PM
  #59
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,152
vCash: 500
Wait a sec...

So people wanted an undersized and constantly called "1-dimensional" offensive D-man, but complain when we pick one who isn't nearly as undersized AND fills a need we have?

I hear names like Edler, Lidstrom and Johnsson. We still need a smart, puck-moving defensemen.

I don't get how you guys can be upset at getting a near-mistake free, puck moving, probable shutdown defender who's already played against men... at *17*.

Oh well. I'm totally fine with this pick. You guys are just impossible to please. Reach for a forward? No thanks. Undersized 1-dimensional D? Pass. Decent sized, two-way, near NHL-ready D? WTF IS FLETCH DOING?!!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

Deep breath folks, deep breath.


Last edited by Vashanesh: 06-24-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: speeling gud
Vashanesh is online now  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
  #60
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
is this an insult? i honestly cant tell...?

ya its always best to go with a player that no one wants that doesnt fit a teams needs... go wild
drafting out of (supposed) short term needs is retarded.

The Wild did the contrary.. hopefully now the picture is clearer.


oh, about the fact no one wanted him.. and trading down... just no, too good to drop much further than 10.

helicecopter is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
  #61
Pajicz
Registered User
 
Pajicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country:
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Well, ok. I still believe it was a good pick. I think he will turn out to be a really solid player for the Wild.
Well, I hope you're right, but I have bad feeling about this.

Pajicz is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
  #62
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
didn't mean to come off as a huge fan of the pick. he is just a player that I know nothing about, like granlund.

Casper is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #63
se7en
infamous...
 
se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mission Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Well, ok. I still believe it was a good pick. I think he will turn out to be a really solid player for the Wild.
not to be a jerk but I still got $50 that says he never makes it to the NHL besides a call up. At least not for the Wild..

Not tooing my own horn but I was right about Cullen, Barker, Shep, & pouliot.. Technically Nystrom too but I gave him the benefit of the doubt cuz I love his dad..

also, those peeps mentioned weren't all draft picks obviously but so far I feel Ive been spot on with our moves

se7en is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #64
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
bare with me, broken right hand, hard to type...

Brodin is small, skinny & doesn't put up points. Also is years from being ready if he even makes it that far. Only 2 people, both from Swedin, have said anything remotely good about him & he's yet another D on a team with no offense..

I see absolutely no reason to be excited...

Im interested in hearing a reason why we should be happy?

besides "trust fletcher" what's should we be happy about with this pick?
1. He's 6'1". How is that small?

2. Brodin is one of the smartest players in the draft. He's also one of the more mobile defensemen in the draft as well. He has also great character.

And he dislikes the Sedins and wants to be a Wild (quotes from KFan and Russo)

So you have one of the smartest and mobile defenseman in the draft that WANTS to be a Wild.

While he wasn't my pick, he isn't a bad choice either.

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #65
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
Well, did Staun(b?)itz get picked top 10 without high point projection? Guess there is something more to Brodin then.
If being a Wild fan has taught me anything, it's that being a first-round pick doesn't make you a good hockey player.

llamapalooza is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #66
SouthSwe
Registered User
 
SouthSwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Have in mind aswell that Larsson is born 92 and Brodin is born in 93.

SouthSwe is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  #67
MrJonas
Registered User
 
MrJonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,200
vCash: 500
Does this mean that the Wild loses its entire Finnish fanbase?

MrJonas is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
  #68
BLBarmada
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
In 2009 I had hoped for Jordan Schroeder, in 2010 it was Fowler or Gormley and this year I wanted Murphy.

3 years of draft disappointment.

I didn't like Leddu but he made it.(albeit in Chicago)

I didn't like Granlund, a year later I can't wait to see him play. I dont like Brodin, even if I haven't seen him play.

CF knows his stuff. We need to keep the puck out, and Barkers a bust.

Hopefully this Brodin kid will be a stud.

BLBarmada is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
  #69
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,232
vCash: 50
i ain't even mad

rynryn is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
  #70
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,232
vCash: 50
he dislikes the Sedins?! SOLD

rynryn is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
  #71
Dampland
YEO must GO
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 50
one last " Booogie" cheer in the Xcel ...

Dampland is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
  #72
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
bare with me, broken right hand, hard to type...

Brodin is small, skinny & doesn't put up points. Also is years from being ready if he even makes it that far. Only 2 people, both from Swedin, have said anything remotely good about him & he's yet another D on a team with no offense..

I see absolutely no reason to be excited...

Im interested in hearing a reason why we should be happy?

besides "trust fletcher" what's should we be happy about with this pick?
And I'm guessing that those 2 from Sweden have actually seen him play. Just a guess.

He's listed at 6' 1'' 172 pounds as a 17 year old (I believe). Do you think he's reached is peak height and weight?

Young kids don't put up points in Europe. They don't. Didn't Ovi have like 13 goals his draft year? Any reaction right now (either way) is an over-reaction.

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
  #73
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,232
vCash: 50
i know man...damn. :'(

rynryn is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:10 PM
  #74
Orava
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country:
Posts: 332
vCash: 812
My first thought: what the ***** is GMFC thinking?

Then I started thinking about it.. Fletcher said he'll take the BPA and if he really thinks Brodin is the BPA, I see no problem.

With this pick, I think our D is going to be quite ok in couple of years.

Burns, Scandella, Spurgeon, Stoner, Brodin.
I'd say thats quite ok.

Orava is offline  
Old
06-24-2011, 08:11 PM
  #75
Pajicz
Registered User
 
Pajicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country:
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
I hear names like Edler, Lidstrom and Johnsson. We still need a smart, puck-moving defensemen.
Mentioning Lidström when talking about a prospect is always stupid, no matter how good that prospect is.

Pajicz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.