HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

With the #10 pick in the first round, the Wild select Jonas Brodin(now signed to ELC)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Pajicz

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And I'm guessing that those 2 from Sweden have actually seen him play. Just a guess.

He's listed at 6' 1'' 172 pounds as a 17 year old (I believe). Do you think he's reached is peak height and weight?

Young kids don't put up points in Europe. They don't. Didn't Ovi have like 8 goals his draft year? Any reaction right now (either way) is an over-reaction.
Exactly. Mikko Koivu had one assist in 21 games in his draft year.

Old
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I'm just baffled by this. Weve got decent depth at D, we need people who can actually score goals at this point. Okay great, this guy is the BPA, we dont need him, why didnt we trade down or something?

Old
Up7Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
If being a Wild fan has taught me anything, it's that being a first-round pick doesn't make you a good hockey player.
I'll second this. I hope Jonas proves us wrong.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I'm just baffled by this. Weve got decent depth at D, we need people who can actually score goals at this point. Okay great, this guy is the BPA, we dont need him, why didnt we trade down or something?
What depth are you talking about?

Scandella - 2nd pairing potential
Stoner - #4-6 potential
Spurgeon - dunno lol
Falk - depth defenseman
Prosser - depth defenseman

Thats deep of depth guys. Adding Brodin finally adds some talent to that group

Old
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
1. He's 6'1". How is that small?

2. Brodin is one of the smartest players in the draft. He's also one of the more mobile defensemen in the draft as well. He has also great character.

And he dislikes the Sedins and wants to be a Wild (quotes from KFan and Russo)

So you have one of the smartest and mobile defenseman in the draft that WANTS to be a Wild.

While he wasn't my pick, he isn't a bad choice either.
1) I'm 6'2 and im not big.. tall doesnt mean sturdy. He's a pole.

2) Smartest how so? I havent heard this anywhere else... And obvisouly no other team was worried about not getting him "no phone calls at Wild table"

3) 90% of the NHL hate the Sedins... Why would he hate them anyways? Also, what does that have to do with anything.. I'm sure there's not many players on the Wild that like them. Hell, I dont really like them, should I be drafted?

4) He wants to be a Wild? every kid in the draft said they just want to be picked. any pick would say they "want" to play for the team they get picked by..

This is a BUST.

im just in a bad mood. sorry to take it out on any of you. Im just sick of this team always being a disapointment and I see no reason to be excited about this kid.. wow "he wants to be a wild"..

that just reminds me how much I hate our team name...

Old
06-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Mentioning Lidström when talking about a prospect is always stupid, no matter how good that prospect is.
And everyone follows it up with "but scores less". I skipped it for succinctness.

He's apparently a non-physical, shutdown, cerebral defender. By definition, that pretty much screams Lidstrom. It's not a reference to his skill, but his style.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Damn ... would have been nice to have ARMIA's sister or girlfriend at the XCEL attending games ..... Wowzer!

Old
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i ain't even mad
Pretty much.

Seriously, I don't even know how to react. Guess we should wait and see what he does next year. Will he play in NA or will he stay in Europe?

Old
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
What depth are you talking about?

Scandella - 2nd pairing potential
Stoner - #4-6 potential
Spurgeon - dunno lol
Falk - depth defenseman
Prosser - depth defenseman

Thats deep of depth guys. Adding Brodin finally adds some talent to that group
Exactly. We have a lot of 5-6 guys. Brodin sounds like at least a 2nd pairing. Contrary to popular opinion, we do have some offense coming with Granlund and Zucker. I'm willing to give him a chance.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
Does this mean that the Wild loses its entire Finnish fanbase?
No. We don't hate Swedes that much... or actually we do, but anyway...

Old
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Up7Yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
No. We don't hate Swedes that much... or actually we do, but anyway...
If he really develops into Lidström-lite (Aren't all swedish d-prospects going to be lil-Lidströms) we'll have to like this guy. Lidström is liked in Finland

Old
06-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Ghorak

Kinda happy with the pick. Brodin could end up being a really good player. Wanted Armia, Murphy or Beaulieu. I hope Fletcher knows whats he's doing.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post

2) Smartest how so? I havent heard this anywhere else... And obvisouly no other team was worried about not getting him "no phone calls at Wild table"

3) 90% of the NHL hate the Sedins... Why would he hate them anyways? Also, what does that have to do with anything.. I'm sure there's not many players on the Wild that like them. Hell, I dont really like them, should I be drafted?

4) He wants to be a Wild? every kid in the draft said they just want to be picked. any pick would say they "want" to play for the team they get picked by..

This is a BUST.

im just in a bad mood. sorry to take it out on any of you. Im just sick of this team always being a disapointment and I see no reason to be excited about this kid.. wow "he wants to be a wild"..

1. He's a TEENAGER.

2. A bust!?!?!?!? How the hell can you know that??? Explain that. Please. I love outlandish statements that nobody can refute because they are so knee-jerk.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Brodin looks like Kim Johnsson 2.0. I'm ok with that..........kind of, but not really.

Look, I think everybody is pissed because 15 minutes before our pick, it looked like the Wild might have gotten Couturier. And next thing we know, we are drafting a defense dman with good puck-moving ability.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Brodin looks like Kim Johnsson 2.0. I'm ok with that..........kind of, but not really.

Look, I think everybody is pissed because 15 minutes before our pick, it looked like the Wild might have gotten Couturier. And next thing we know, we are drafting a defense dman with good puck-moving ability.
This sounds right on, plus we took somebody that nobody knows anything about him, which worries some.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
But you said small, not non-sturdy. So no, he isn't small. And the gym can add a good 20-30lbs over 2-3 years, which is how long it will take him to make the pro level

Quote:
You understand that this draft is one of the deepest in years. Just because we have Brodin at the top doesn't mean no teams had him at #2, 3 ,4 etc.

And here is the smartest quote.

"He moves extremely well and he is above average defensively because his hockey sense is better than most d-men his age. When you can skate as well as he can and are as smart as he is you have to be able to contribute offensively eventually. He played all season on the best team in the Swedish league and didn't look out of place. You watch him with his own age group and he is just quicker and smarter than most of the them.

Quote:
Well that part was just for fun.

But if u hate them and can play top minutes as an 18-year old in the Swedish league, sure! You can be drafted.

Quote:
Decent point, its just good to hear.

Quote:
This is a BUST.

So which flaws come out to you and say that he is a bust?

For me, his strengths in mobility, maturity, hockey smarts and ability to move the puck is very impressive. He also plays good minutes in the top Swedish league. I like that combination.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
not to be a jerk but I still got $50 that says he never makes it to the NHL besides a call up. At least not for the Wild..
lol, where can i sign the deal?

wanna make it a 200$ bet instead?

Old
06-24-2011, 08:31 PM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
This sounds right on, plus we took somebody that nobody knows anything about him, which worries some.
Well, except all scouts that's been here all season long watching him? (and Klefbom)

Old
06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I'd like to go on the record here that I'm okay with this pick. I definitely see the need for what he reportedly brings to the ice. Even if he doesn't create much offense a guy like this will allow our other players to take a few more risk and concentrate a little harder on offense. Now if we could just find a reckless sniper...

Old
06-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Holy *****?

Burns was traded! I need some time to digest this, but at least we didn't lose him for nothing.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

oh ****.
oh ****. oh ****.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Orava

vCash: 812
Speechless

Old
06-24-2011, 08:35 PM
BLBarmada

Now I see why we took Brodin.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Nick Lidström lite? I'm fine with that. He looked really skinny but that can be a good thing, right? If he was able to hold his own in the men's league already, there's nothing to worry about. It's easy to get stronger.

I'm glad that we didn't take Armia. I fear he's going to be an NHL bust/Euro star.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Yeah, everyone is mad because this teams screams for offense and we wanted so much to draft a forward that everyone got stunned with Brodin choice.
To be honest, lets wait and see, let the kid develops.

The only thing that makes me sad it's that in a draft called so "deep" we have only one pick in the first 70 players.

Closed Thread