HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Selection, #16 Overall Joel Armia, RW

Old
06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Monk View Post
armia looks like a solid pick, to me. just wondering if this will create an "odd man out" situation with one of our other RW's at some point.
Good. We should always have someone pushing the others for playing time. If you're not cutting it, move aside and let the next person take the opportunity. Boyes has 1 more year. Pominville 3. Kassian hasn't proven anything yet.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
armia looks like a solid pick, to me. just wondering if this will create an "odd man out" situation with one of our other RW's at some point.
Very hard to project, but my guess is that one of Stafford or Pommer will be out the door by the time Armia's breaking down the door for a spot in the top 6. We'll see what happens.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Why?

Armia is a good few years away in all likelyhood.

People are too short sighted when it comes to drafting, IMO...

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
I'm volunteering to keep you guys updated about Armias next season, since the dude lives like a mile away from me, and, obviously, plays for my hometown team.

I would really appreciate that, thanks!

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Looks like Lindros without muscle

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:47 PM
sabresfan129103

what's the top end on this guy? 30-30?

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
And if Qurpiz isn't always here, I'll sure as heck will.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
what's the top end on this guy? 30-30?
If things go right, 40-35 at his peak.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:51 PM
urho

vCash: 695
High risk, high reward and definately a good 16th pick. I never thought he had issues with his work ethic, his real problem is inconistancy. And seriously, 17 years old playing with pro players usually have some issues with that, it doesn't mean they'll always be that way. He could end up being the next Finnish 40 goal scorer in the NHL. There's also a change that he'll never make it in NHL roster at all. With his talent level, you gotta give him a change anyway.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I like this, we're picking up a whole section of guys to drop in and post. Excellent!

06-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
If things go right mostly, 40-35 at his peak.
Its a risky pick though, am I right?

Old
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Not happy we didn't take a center, but if we were going to go non-center, the more I read about Armia the more I like the pick.

Now go center the next 3 picks.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Not happy we didn't take a center, but if we were going to go non-center, the more I read about Armia the more I like the pick.

Now go center the next 3 picks.
Yeah.

But I think we need a 2nd to get someone rated.....

Old
Ness
@KetchTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Why?

Armia is a good few years away in all likelyhood.

People are too short sighted when it comes to drafting, IMO...
i'm aware he's a few years away. pominville's contract will be up in a few years...if anything i'm looking at this too long-sighted lol. oh well. i'm excited to see what this armia kid can do and the type of player he develops into.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Takeo

The Sabres need at center is immediate. The 16th pick in this draft was never going to address that.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Its a risky pick though, am I right?
Compared to other player picked in the same area? Yeah, probably slightly more risky.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
The Sabres need at center is immediate. The 16th pick in this draft was never going to address that.
You're right. And neither will free agency. Regier needs to pull a monster trade out of his hat this offseason...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

We're just drafting countries. We needed some Finnish fans for our game in Helsinki.

Seriously, though, I like the pick. We needed scoring, and by all accounts, this guy can bring that if he pans out.

McNiel would've been nice...and safer, but Armia's ceiling is as high as anyone's in this draft, IMO.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
ct2111

Quote:
The top prospect out of Finland this season comes in the form of a tall right winger. Joel Armia has plus puck skills and is well above-average for a 6'3", 190 lb. forward. Armia is very confident with the puck on his stick and he has good reason to be. He is able to execute above-average dekes with regularity and is very good in open ice. On more than occasion I've seen him execute a stick-handling move or a mid-distance pass through a tight space that left me saying "wow". He has an above-average shot with the ability to score from notable distances with the tool's accuracy and power. While the frame and his natural offensive tools are a great package, there are quite a few areas of concern with Armia. While he is a tall player, Armia still has a ways to fill out and loses a fair amount of battles that a man his size shouldn't. His hockey sense is decent in regards to his positional play in all zones, however his decision-making with the puck is poor and he too often tries to force the big play with cross-seam passes, deking in dangerous locations, or will chuck the puck at the net with no traffic. His stride is good, but Armia's feet are heavy and the skating tool grades as fringe, but likely could get up a notch with attention to that area. Armia's intangibles and more specifically his consistency are also a question mark. He has one of the best upsides of any forward in the class, but there's a fair amount that he needs to work on.

Ranking Explanation: Armia has the highest Projected Peak GVT in the draft class according to Iain Fyffe's projections, but yet I have him all the way down at 15. One reason for that is due to how Armia got his offense, more specifically his goals. He relied on his shot tool, and by exceeding the percentages from mid-range shooting distances. While he is a good shooter, in a short season sample if a fair amount of your offense is coming from finishing ability, the unreliability in shooting percentage being persistent over a long sample is a cause for concern. His skill set is very good and he has that kind of potential to be a several wins above replacement forward, but there are many concerns/questions about his game about if he can get there. In matching up against Mayfield, I had him against a toolsy player as well. Their possession game was a slight edge for Armia, as even though Armia has significant better puck skills, he's not a good thinker and when you mix in Mayfield's refined defensive game and decent puck-moving ability they both control the game flow at about an equal level. Armia is a significantly worse skater and physically, but a better shooter and it came to a push here. While I was about to give Mayfield the edge based on market values, I went with Armia because of 1) The clear separation in counting numbers performance , 2) Armia has such great upside, and while Mayfield does too Armia has the potential to be an All-star. I can't say that about Mayfield with the same certainty barring a major development boost and 3) The position market values have a lesser effect for above-average players when the defenseman is a defense-reliant player for the majority of his value as that transitions to the NHL slower during the pre-UFA years.
Source: HockeyProspectus

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
i'm aware he's a few years away. pominville's contract will be up in a few years...if anything i'm looking at this too long-sighted lol. oh well. i'm excited to see what this armia kid can do and the type of player he develops into.
I wanted a C as well, but drafted players are often a while away.

I think the Armia pick is a reflection on the Pegula era... as in, take a risk.

As I said before, I'd be satisfied but would prefer McNiell with the pick we had. Its not like I'm pissed off (like the Pysyk pick last season).

Want to move up to the 2nd and take a high risk C or even Gibson (G) if he's still available.

Old
06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I predicted some months ago that Armia might end up being the best player in this Draft. That was while Couts was still ranked as the top guy, but I still think he has the tools to make it happen. It's 15% physical growth, 25% skating, and 60% mental, IMO.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

in some of those clips, armia reminds me of gilbert perreault.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ct2111

Quote:
How does a 6’3” pure sniper who can skate at the disposal of your favourite team’s coach sound?

“The Finnish Ace” might just develop into the best pure goal scorer from this year’s draft crop, but he does have some work to do to get to that point.

Armia finished tied for 11th in goal scoring in SM-Liga, Finland top men’s league – perhaps Europe’s closest comparable league to the NA style of play.

Armia is that guy who wants the puck on his stick. And when it’s on his stick, he utilizes good puck protection skills to keep it there until he’s ready to either pass the puck (which is an underrated part of his game) or deploy one of his dazzling array of shots – especially his lethal wrist shot.

While he’s mobile for his size, he definitely needs to add some bulk to his frame and could stand to improve his first-step quickness. The other concern with Armia is consistency. Joel appears lackadaisical at times. Coaches of his, however, have raved about his willingness to work to improve and of the defensive awareness he already possesses at his age.

Joel isn’t afraid dirty to go about retrieving the puck on the forecheck or back-checking. He’s also willing to go to the hard areas to utilize his dangerous goal-scoring ability.
Quote:
Strengths:

*See “One Timer” section above.

* Good size
* Sniper mentality
* Puck protection
* Above average hockey sense
* Very good skater for size
* Great wrist shot and array of other shots
* Great hands
* Very good playmaker
* Defensive awareness
* Coachability and work ethic
* Not afraid to go to “dirty” areas on the ice

Flaws/Aspects He Needs To Work On:

* Continue to train to increase strength and add mass to frame to handle the rigors of the NHL.
* Consistency
* Shoot the puck more
* Continue to develop defensive acumen
Source: THW

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
We're just drafting countries. We needed some Finnish fans for our game in Helsinki.

Seriously, though, I like the pick. We needed scoring, and by all accounts, this guy can bring that if he pans out.

McNiel would've been nice...and safer, but Armia's ceiling is as high as anyone's in this draft, IMO.
Pretty much agree.

Hopefully the proposed game in Germany is a precursor to Ehrhoff signing....

(that is, if we don't get Regehr).

Old
06-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Considering he's already playing against men, why wouldn't he be signed and assigned to Rochester next season? I haven't kept track of the transfer agreements. IIRC, there's no restriction on sending first round picks from European leagues to the AHL

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote