HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Morrow | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | First round, 23rd overall

Old
06-24-2011, 09:45 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Not sure. He's a late 92 birth so he'll probably turn pro next summer. I guess if he develops well enough he could compete for an NHL job in 2 years.
Being a great skater is going to help. Fowler stepped in his first year, on a bad team but you see my point.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Not sure. He's a late 92 birth so he'll probably turn pro next summer. I guess if he develops well enough he could compete for an NHL job in 2 years.
Hypothetically he could go to the AHL after next season, since he would have spent four seasons in the CHL. Am I right?

This pick is growing on me already, he's got decent size, offense, hockey sense, skating, physical play and can scrap some. I really haven't seen anything I don't like about the guy.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:50 PM
maxpenguins6630

Next year's draft is supposed to be deep on defense so this year was perfect for a winger or two...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Shero went best player available. Guys who are moping about this take note: this draft class SUCKS relatively speaking (as predicted). McKenzie himself after about the 9th pick said (roughly), "now anyone in the top 40 or 50 could go and I wouldn't be surprised". Translation: none of the remaining guys are NHL ready, and all have some flaws, so you go pick the biggest talent at a premium position. And this guy seems to fit the bill. He's a very valuable asset potentially and we can let him develop for another year or two in the minors.

I'm totally fine with it. And FWIW it is my belief Shero would prefer to solve the remaining wing depth issue with a proven player, not a draftee in a weak year. So not unlikely he'll take one of Despres, Morrow, Bortuzzo, Strait, package it at some point (maybe this coming deadline) with something else and go get a good young winger who has showed he can handle NHL pressure, is a quick learner, etc. Talking about a 2nd or 3rd year guy who shows consistent improvement and fits our game. IOW someone a lot less risky than any of the wingers that remained when we picked.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:51 PM
No Quarter

Solid pick.
I personally wanted Jensen, but this guy seems pretty decent.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
maxpenguins6630

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
This pick is growing on me already, he's got decent size, offense, hockey sense, skating, physical play and can scrap some. I really haven't seen anything I don't like about the guy.
Weaknesses - has sense issues in the defensive zone, doesn't always make the right decisions and reads. Will need to learn to pick his spots offensively. From Bob Mckenzie... So from what I read hockey sense is not that decent...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Boocock

I like the pick. Expect the Pens to stockpile two or three wingers in the next four picks. Like Simon Despres, he's low-risk, high-reward. You take risks later on in the draft.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

I think he's already a better prospect than Beau Bennett

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Good profile here, and lists a ton of Morrow links and rankings:

http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/search/label/Joe%20Morrow

The following is what brings home the Letang comparisons for me:

Quote:
In addition, Joe aced the Combine with ten results in the top ten including:

1. Right hand grip - 177 lb.
1. Vertical leg power with pause - 1865 watts
2. Vertek vertical jump - 30.3’’
3. Jump average - 25’’
4 Vertek Peak leg power - 6532 watts

So it should come as no surprise that Portland’s Director of Hockey Operations Matt Bardsley was quoted as saying (by Christopher Ralph) at TheHockeyWriters.com, “It’s amazing how strong he is. He has so much power in his legs and upper body, and his leg strength is a big part of his explosive skating as well as his big shot.”
Real strong for his size. "Farmboy strength", they say.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:59 PM
87Crosby87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejoPd...eature=related

First I was pretty mad about not picking Puempel but after watching the video above and seeing the comparison to Cam Fowler I was really excited!

87Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Hypothetically he could go to the AHL after next season, since he would have spent four seasons in the CHL. Am I right?
That's right. On the downside with his late birthday he has only one chance to make the Canadian WJC team.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Dejan Kovacevic:

Quote:
Shero explained to me #Pens philosophy not based on position, not on local favorite. They felt Morrow is 2-way D-man unlike any in system.
Quote:
Joe Morrow struck me as prototypical WHL kid, really humble, pond in backyard, etc. ... and there's a little edge to him.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

This pick is really growing on me. I don't believe any G.M. worth his paycheck ever picks a player based on his position. You pick the best player available. That way, even if you do end up stacked in one position, that means you have a more valuable asset that you can trade for a better, in this case forward, than you would have drafted.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah... I though of Fowler when they were describing him and showing highlights, although he's more physical looks like. Actually sounds like a more physical [but smaller] version of Despres. Very strong, smooth skating, good passer. He must pick his spots though because they didn't characterize him as a big hitter.

I don't think he'll be up here soon like Fowler was because we don't need him to be but that's fine. If this guy is that quality we got a steal.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-24-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpenguins6630 View Post
Weaknesses - has sense issues in the defensive zone, doesn't always make the right decisions and reads. Will need to learn to pick his spots offensively. From Bob Mckenzie... So from what I read hockey sense is not that decent...
I watched his draft feature and they said his hockey sense and decision making was a strength. I'm sure all the reports are a bit all over the place and I'll look forward to more first hand reports, but he looks solid and has potential and ability to improve everywhere.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Jacob

His results at the combine must have been a factor in picking him. Dude appears to be one of the most physically mature players in the whole draft.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Most players have flaws, especially when you pick late in the 1st round. Hockey sense is something that improves with age usually. I have a good feeling about him. Shero and his team know what they're doing.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Mr. T

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/inde...n_joe_mor.html

A bit more about him.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
It means he has to work on his positioning in his own end - very common for an O-dman this young... Letang had the same knock on him.

Haven't seen him play but if his skating is being compared to Fowler... damn.

Love what Shero is doing with the blueline depth in this org.... it is almost ridiculous now.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Dylonus

I was happy to see this pick

Kid has a lot of Kris Letang in him, but he's already maturing physical and is fast.

His hockey sense will grow in time. I think this kid will be a steal for us

Dylonus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
It means he has to work on his positioning in his own end - very common for an O-dman this young... Letang had the same knock on him.

Haven't seen him play but if his skating is being compared to Fowler... damn.

Love what Shero is doing with the blueline depth in this org.... it is almost ridiculous now.
Almost?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:13 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:

I'm not arguing with the idea that he's a quality player with a lot of potential. What I am arguing with is the fact that he's not the kind of player this organization really needs now, or down the road.

Also, some of you are saying he could be NHL ready in a couple of years due to his age. I think we all know well enough that age doesn't necessarily dictate how NHL ready a player is, or will be. Scouting reports say he still needs to fill out quite a bit and considerably improve his defensive game. Now, some will respond with "well that's what they said abuot Letang as well!". But keep in mind that Letang broke onto the roster when we weren't anywhere near as deep on the blue line, and things have changed CONSIDERABLY since then.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
JTG

I love Fowlers ability, so I'm even more excited

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:15 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
Most players have flaws, especially when you pick late in the 1st round. Hockey sense is something that improves with age usually. I have a good feeling about him. Shero and his team know what they're doing.
I still see him being trade bait at some point. Shero didn't see anything worthwhile with the remaining first round hopefuls, so perhaps he can land a decent top 6 wing option with Morrow as part of a package deal.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Almost?
Well I have to see the guy play first before.

If he is being compared to Cam Fowler... Fowler is sick... I have a huge man crush on him.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote