HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nicklas Jensen (2011, 29th overall, Vancouver)

Old
06-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Peter Bazooka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
Great is an overstatement, we thought the same with Schroeder and Hodgson, we were wrong.
So what's it like living in the future?

Peter Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Hansen approves this pick

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:53 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Great is an overstatement, we thought the same with Schroeder and Hodgson, we were wrong.
Great player may be an overstatement but great pick IMO. True high end skill, and a huge frame. Great (Dane) pick indeed.

06-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Great player may be an overstatement but great pick IMO. True high end skill, and a huge frame. Great (Dane) pick indeed.
He doesn't have high end skill, that would make him great, he has 2nd line skill at best.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Bazooka View Post
So what's it like living in the future?
Obviously better than living in the past.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
He doesn't have high end skill, that would make him great, he has 2nd line skill at best.
He's got a top line shot though. Who know's if the Canucks can develop him properly he can be a steal. 6'3 power forward who can skate and shoot. I'm down.

Nuck This is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Stanley as in Cup

I like having a potential offensive LW in the system (and possibly a power forward at that!)

Stanley as in Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
You seem to have no clue about this prospect.

Quote:
Jensen has a sizeable frame and the natural hockey qualities that scouts look for - soft hands, great shot, and a good hockey sense. Jensen lacks that elite top end speed but is capable of finding time and space with his slick hands and elusive playing style.
That's top end-skill. The knocks on him have nothing to do with his skill level.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You seem to have no clue about this prospect.

That's top end-skill. The knocks on him have nothing to do with his skill level.
Actually I do, if he had this top end skill he would have been picked way before 29.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Actually I do, if he had this top end skill he would have been picked before 29.
Just like Jurco... ? Have you seen him play a single game? I have (more than one) and I'm telling you that his skill is not the problem, he has other problems in his game.

Do you think Claude Giroux went late in the first because he didn't have top end skill? What about Perry? Loui Eriksson? Plenty more if you want...

Old
06-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Just like Jurco... ? Have you seen him play a single game? I have (more than one) and I'm telling you that his skill is not the problem, he has other problems in his game.
He wasn't even a PPG guy, and you are telling me he is a top end point getter when he hasn't even managed a PPG in the OHL.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
He wasn't even a PPG guy, and you are telling me he is a top end point getter when he hasn't even managed a PPG in the OHL.
Ugh, I give up. You can have top level skill and not be PPG. There are countless examples of hard-working guys that put above PPG in their draft year and then never become more than 3rd liners. Points have nothing to do with somebody's skill level.

If you're a Canucks fan you should probably just look up Michael Grabner.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Scouter

Quote:
Ugh, I give up. You can have top level skill and not be PPG. There are countless examples of hard-working guys that put above PPG in their draft year and then never become more than 3rd liners. Points have nothing to do with somebody's skill level.

If you're a Canucks fan you should probably just look up Michael Grabner.
Grabner is a goal scorer, Jensen is a guy who is good at doing both, so obviously I did not expect Grabner to be a PPG guy, 2 different types of players.

And are you kidding me, if you have elite skills in junior then you should be putting up the points to match it, there is no excuse for not doing so.

Bartschi obviously has more skills than Jensen, put up more numbers, and yet he is still projected to be just a 2nd line NHL player, so there is no way Jensen could be more than that.

Seguin has elite skills, know how I know, because he put up numbers on a crappy Plymouth team.

Last edited by Scouter: 06-24-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old
06-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Grabner is a goal scorer, Jensen is a guy who is good at doing both, so obviously I did not expect Grabner to be a PPG guy, 2 different types of players.

And are you kidding me, if you have elite skills in junior then you should be putting up the points to match it, there is no excuse for not doing so.
Have you heard of this guy, Patrice Bergeron? He had 73 points (only 20 goals) in 70 games in his draft year. It's not all that different from 58 in 61 but with 29 goals. Is this Patrice Bergeron guy just a second line player to you?

There's far more to prospects than just their skill level. There's work ethic, there's consistency, there's their ability to use their size, their speed, their linemates, their ice-time, their team, their league, whether they're rookies or not, and so much more.

Jensen has questions marks around a lot of things but his skill level is NOT one of them. If he can figure out every single other aspect, yeah he has the skill and the shot to be a first liner. Is that realistic? No ****ing way. But the SKILL is there. And you know what they say, you can't teach size — that gives him a natural advantage on some of the other prospects.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:36 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Poor argument. Jensen was a true 17 YO (93 Birth Year) in his first year of CHL hockey and was just three points shy of being a PPG player.

Alexander Burmistrov was barely a PPG player in his first year in the OHL despite being a "18 YO" (aka late birthday) draft pick. No shortage of top end skill there despite the mediocre stats, born out by his play in the NHL.

Jensen will blow it up next season in the OHL.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
ugghhh

Quote:

Bartschi obviously has more skills than Jensen, put up more numbers, and yet he is still projected to be just a 2nd line NHL player, so there is no way Jensen could be more than that.
This a ridiculous argument. The bolded is particularly offensive to any sort of logic and reason.

ugghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Red

Quote:

What. This is amongst the most nonsensical arguments I've ever read on HF. He could be a first line player just like others who were picked late in the 1st or 2nd because of other concerns with their game outside of skill - Tiranis already gave you some great examples. I expect Jensen to become a 2nd line winger and would be quite content with that but it's certainly not "no way" that he could ever develop into a 1st line player.

And for all intents and purposes, he was pretty much a PPG player in his first year in the OHL - are you really writing him off because he was a 0.95 PPG player rather than a 1.00 PPG player?

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Tiranis

I'm assuming Puckstairs would be telling the Red Wings that there's no way that those bums Datsyuk and Zetterberg can pan out, getting drafted so late with such mediocre point totals. Clearly those guys had NO skill.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Scouter

Yeah ok, I admit I am going overboard a bit.

I still don't see Jensen's skills being say higher than Bartschi's, N-H's, Huberdeau's or Strome's, Jensen seems to have compete/consistency/not physical enough, shies from contact, doesn't skate enough, issues am I right, thus the lower point totals, he also needs to grow into his frame, boom or bust for sure here, a risky pick from GIllis.

Last edited by Scouter: 06-25-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old
06-24-2011, 11:55 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

@ Puckstairs.

A lot of people in this thread thought a team might surprise at 15 or above, or he'd be gone by Montreal's pick.

I'm very excited for this guy... it seems like Gillis likes to grab the faller in the draft.

Hopefully he's able to stay healthy and is able to work on hsi NA game next year and become a solid 2nd line player.

At his maxed potential he can be a Jeff Carter type player

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Puckstairs posts alot and seems to be VERY set on certain players and absolutely HATES others.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:23 AM
biturbo19

I like this pick a lot. Fits our needs and seems like good value.

Gonna be fun to eagerly watch his development, and hopefully he can kick things up a notch or two...but the tools seem to be there. The size, the skill, the shot. My biggest real concern outside of the already stated potential issues in his game there, is the pt production is not all that unlike a fellow Dane by the name of Hansen who has been far from lighting it up as an NHL scoring winger. But they're very different players, and with some quality development, i can see this guy being an important part of the future.

and really, this sort of 'project' is about the best case scenario for a 29th pick when it comes to getting a guy with real upside.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
My biggest real concern outside of the already stated potential issues in his game there, is the pt production is not all that unlike a fellow Dane by the name of Hansen who has been far from lighting it up as an NHL scoring winger.
Not quite. He put up 26 points in 34 games and 10 in 10 playoff games in the top Danish league a year before his draft year, while Hansen put up 19 in 35 games in his draft year. Quite a big difference. Hansen was 19 by the time he put up a PPG season in the CHL.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
He is the most intriguing player in the draft in my opinion with his size, speed, vision and all around skill set. He has so much potential and out of most draft eligible players I've seen this year from the OHL he has been one of the most impressive. It's quite the prediction, but I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him in the top 10. He has monster potential and with the right development he could turn into a helluva player.
sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
If this kid doesnt go top 15 in the draft.....a real good team will get to choose him later in the first. I have a gut feeling he will be playing for a western team. (like nashville or Minni)
Or Vancouver Hansen should help ease the transition to the NHL down the road.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
sweet!

Or Vancouver Hansen should help ease the transition to the NHL down the road.
Also noteworthy with regard to transition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
That was a great interview, really well spoken kid. Had no idea his dad was from Canada.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote