HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate

Old
06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

vCash: 500
Portland Pirates AHL - Phoenix Coyotes Minor League Affiliate

AHL Page
www.PortlandPirates.com

Maine Hockey Journal
http://mainehockeyjournal.com/

Pine Tree Pucks Maine Hockey Blogger
http://pinetreepucks.blogspot.com/

Portland Pirates Coach - Ray Edwards

More to Come..

Quote:
Portland Pirates Affiliate Announcement (Full audio)

The Maine Sports Network was LIVE at the Cumberland County Civic Center for the Portland Pirates announcement of its new NHL affiliation with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Listen to Brian Petrovek's full press conference
http://pinetreepucks.blogspot.com/20...d-pirates.html

Last edited by Swat Ultra: 06-27-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Ultra View Post
This is just a Rumor it will be announced Monday if true but last week phoenix staff came here an looked at the arena and just a few minutes ago Portland pirates owner had presser with Maine hockey journal,

"Just finished pressed with Pirates owner Brian Petrovek. Said decision was down to two teams. Wouldn't say which two, but we all knew it was Florida and Phoenix. Indicated it was a Western Conference team so welcome Phoenix as the Pirates affiliate. I'm travel to an office to bang something out will have it up ASAP."

http://twitter.com/#!/MEHockeyJournal

If this is true i'm soo happy but also sorry for all the SA fans.
I'm not in any way judging you, I just want to know what perk you see in the move?

Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I'm not in any way judging you, I just want to know what perk you see in the move?

Main perk is personal . But the pirates organization is first rate , they know how to handle prospect amazingly and a great environment for hockey development. The issues that we all know is the travel will be horrible but its becoming common in the ahl. Also the arena is very poor, but a new one is in the plans to be built soon.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
PhoPhan

His location says he lives in New Hampshire, and his avatar has a Pirates logo in it.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Main perk is personal .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
His location says he lives in New Hampshire, and his avatar has a Pirates logo in it.
Wow. Hey Swat, try and be more subtle next time

Old
06-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Wow. Hey Swat, try and be more subtle next time
hah, its the nature of the AHL teams change often i truly do believe this is a great move( if it pans out) for the improvement of the teams prospect . if you look at that track record portland has had with its affiliates they have done an amazing job. We will see.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
PhoPhan

So how does this all work? Obviously guys like Goncharov and Summers go to Portland, but what about, say, Nolan Yonkman? And how about Treliving, Edwards, et al?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Does SA have a lot of there own players under contracts? i can't see to find there contact status.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I guess you've never been present during a transition from farm team to farm team. Everthing goes. All that was SanAn Rampage with regards to Phoenix, goes to the new local. Then again it depends on the new affliate's ownership/management. They may want some input as to the coach's or they could be like SA and say, "You know what you're doing in this field, more than we do. Do your thing."

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Does SA have a lot of there own players under contracts? i can't see to find there contact status.
Own players? The only players I would really think that are on.. SA contracts would have possibly been Randy Robitaille. Almost the entire team minus, 2-3 bottom line players are Phoenix property.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 02:46 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Probably easiest to compare the Phoenix contract reserve lists vs. the SA roster to see which players are not under NHL contracts:

http://www.capgeek.com/reserve_lists...5&year_id=2010

http://theahl.com/stats/roster.php?s...34&team_id=331

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

Petrovek Press Conference in Portland, Maine

Here is full audio of the press conference. Not sure if I fully agree that he "indicated" it was a Western Conf team, but all rumor and indications are that it is.

Brian Petrovek/Portland Pirates Press Conference

JeffMESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
BuffaloAZ

Sorry to be debbie downer, but my first thought to this news is…Portland, Maine is closer to Quebec than San Antonio is.

BuffaloAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Gwyddbwyll

San Antonio has been my favorite affiliate so far, would be sorry to see that end.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloAZ View Post
Sorry to be debbie downer, but my first thought to this news is…Portland, Maine is closer to Quebec than San Antonio is.
Yep it is...

Old
06-24-2011, 05:36 PM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

That is what the buzz here, that a connection to the Coyotes makes more sense if they move to Quebec. Maine has a history with Quebec, the Nordiques were actually in Lewiston Maine as the Maine Nordiques in the early 70's.

On the positive side, the Pirates made the affiliation with the Ducks work, so it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Lord only knows with what the NHL does with relocation now.

My group, The Maine Sports Network, is going to stream the press conference Monday announcing the new affiliation. I will post updated info when we nail stuff down. In the meantime, you can download TuneIn Radio app for most smartphones and search Maine Sports Network and we'll be right there!

JeffMESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Barring a miracle, I think the Yotes move to QC. The more success Winnipeg brings the league $ wise the more people will clamor for another Quebec team.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 07:12 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Barring a miracle, I think the Yotes move to QC. The more success Winnipeg brings the league $ wise the more people will clamor for another Quebec team.
Oh, I don't think it's as dire as all that. The City is still committed to keeping the team, to the tune of $25 million in escrow for next season. They've sunk a ton of money and no small amount of political capital into this. To lose the team next summer, after everything that's happened, would be a ****-up of Biblical proportions. As much as we've criticized the City in the past, I'm not sure they're that stupid.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll
San Antonio has been my favorite affiliate so far, would be sorry to see that end.
I would also hate to see the affiliation end with the Coyotes.

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

I will follow the Coyotes if they move to Quebec. I would hate to see it, but I would. I'd much rather see them move back to the Hartford Whalers if they do move at all.

Old
06-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
guess we wont know anything offical till monday. hopefully we do not end back up with florida.

Last edited by Jessica: 06-25-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Phoenix Coyotes heading to Portland?
Published on: 25th June, 2011 by Chris Roy

Quote:
Portland, ME – You’ll probably be hearing a lot of howling around the Cumberland County Civic Center when the Portland Pirates hit the ice in the fall.

Several sources who are familiar with the situation have told Maine Hockey Journal that the next affiliate of the Pirates will be the Phoenix Coyotes.
Link>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloAZ View Post
QC was the very first thing I thought of, as well.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Hi:

I suppose I should just keep a copy of this in Word with how many times we’ve had to change affiliates, but I digress. Let me introduce myself… My name is Chris Roy and I’m the owner/operator and everything in between for the Maine Hockey Journal. We’re an online magazine that covers hockey in State of Maine from the Pirates all the way down to Jr. B and major midget. We’ve been in operation for 7 yrs and have seen three affiliations for the Pirates with “potentially” the Coyotes being the fourth.

That’s not something I brag about, but it just seems to be the nature of AHL lately that affiliations come and they go and so with that any connection to either the AHL club or NHL parent.

Besides my regular duties with the website I am the beat writer for the Pirates and my goal is to keep you informed on what is going on with the Pirates during the season. I try to be interactive and approachable to the fans because they are what drive this sport. If the fans don’t feel engaged into something they lose interest and at the end of the day might as well find a new line of work.

Portland is a small city… We have an older building with hopes of major renovations shortly. The Pirates are also working on a new project in Saco, a town 15 miles south, where they plan to build a new practice facility that will be unlike anything seen in the AHL or even in pro hockey in general. It will house state of the art training facilities, as well as medical facilities and other sports related businesses. I’ll go more into detail when the affiliation is announced.

This is a Boston market where the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots are revered and minor sports are something to do for a good time on the cheap in the middle of winter on a Saturday night.

We are a middle of the pack city in terms of attendance, but that’s fine for this marketplace.

The fanbase doesn’t demand that Phoenix thinks of Portland’s needs first. They understand that the AHL is a development league and players come and players go. It goes back to the shift in mentality of the Washington Capitals of the mid-late 90’s. The Pirates won’t demand to have a say in the hockey operations side of the business. The Pirates allow the NHL club to have full autonomy and that’s been a positive in terms of building solid NHL relationship.

The only thing that the fanbase here expects is a good entertaining hockey and that the players that are here at least care that they are here and not in the NHL for the time being. It’s the players who need to be held accountable for their actions. In the past we've had Kevin Dineen to make sure that happened because he has a knack for finding those players who aren’t the most talented but will give the most effort and as a result have success.

That pretty much all I can think of at the moment… If you have any questions feel free to ask. I’ll try to get to as many questions as I can either here, facebook, twitter or even email.

Regards.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
I look forward to hearing about our guys over there from you.

Also, to those that have said this is a sign we are moving to Q: now that is reaching, definitely not something I would worry about.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote