HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6/22/11 - What Are You Booing Gary Bettman For?

View Poll Results: Why Are You Booing Gary Bettman?
All the cool kids do it 7 21.88%
Letting the North Stars Leave 8 25.00%
Not bringing a new team (i.e. Winnipeg) to Minnesota sooner 0 0%
Bringing a team back to Winnipeg/Northern Expansion 0 0%
Southern expansion 1 3.13%
No geographical rivals/stuck in the Northwest Division 6 18.75%
James Sheppard 3 9.38%
Boston winning the Cup and not the Wild 2 6.25%
Other people's problems 0 0%
Other (please explain) 2 6.25%
Really saying "Boo-urns" 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2011, 10:49 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
Sorry Talon but the reason the North Stars left was Norm Green had a piece of paper signed by John Ziegler stating he could move the club. Gary Bettman had nothing to do with it and so we're booing the wrong guy.

You are correct Bettman did say it was his biggest regret but he had only been Commissioner for a couple of weeks when they moved.
I'm sorry but when we're dealing with Bettman, it's going to take a lot more to convince me that he couldn't abort a relocation at the last minute.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'm sorry but when we're dealing with Bettman, it's going to take a lot more to convince me that he couldn't abort a relocation at the last minute.
Bettman had no control over it

He was only Commish for a few weeks and would have needed the BOG to support him ,, The BOG supported the move

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:18 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Sure, that's why it was up in the air on whether the team would move until after Bettman was in charge. You'll never convince me he couldn't have put up a road block.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Kari Takko

I don't plan on booing Bettman. He's responsible for the league making money, and with the recent increase in the salary cap, he's doing his job.

One caveat... I reserve the right to boo Bettman depending on the number of beers I consume prior to his appearance.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:40 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Sure, that's why it was up in the air on whether the team would move until after Bettman was in charge. You'll never convince me he couldn't have put up a road block.
And go over the BoG?

That would have gone well for the Commish.

Hey guys I know you just voted to move the team butttttt, nope! I'm just not going to do it.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:42 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
And go over the BoG?

That would have gone well for the Commish.

Hey guys I know you just voted to move the team butttttt, nope! I'm just not going to do it.
The BOG vote didn't happen until late feb, he could have put in a road block beforehand.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:48 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The BOG vote didn't happen until late feb, he could have put in a road block beforehand.
What type of road block?

Green still owned the team in Dallas. It wasn't like Green was putting the team up for sale again.

So short of forcing Green to sell the organization, which no commish of any sports would think about, what was Bettman really suppose to do in that short of time?

Especially given that pretty much the decision to move the organization to Dallas had gone on months before.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
So short of forcing Green to sell the organization, which no commish of any sports would think about, what was Bettman really suppose to do in that short of time?
Actually I'm pretty sure the league policy under Bettman himself has become that you have to sell to a local buyer if one exists before relocation can be considered. There wasn't even a cursory ownership search here, nor an exorbitant "relocation fee" to weigh the deal.

Seriously, if we've seen one skill out of Bettman in his tenure, it's been the ability to avert a relocation that appears inevitable. Chipman of True North said they were literally 10 minutes from the deadline where they'd be permitted to buy the Yotes for Winnipeg before Bettman struck the loss-prevention deal with the City of Glendale. (Source)

Also, even if you do absolve Bettman of blame from the theft of the North Stars (and I don't), the NHL still hired him with the express belief that he would be the best man to continue in the moronic Northern exodus policies that got us here. He's just phase 2 of a master plan that screwed us in phase 1. He's the figurehead for that same plan and certainly supports it to this day.

Also he's an unlikeable, arrogant snotbag of a human being.

Old
06-23-2011, 03:59 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Also he's an unlikeable, arrogant snotbag of a human being.
Come up with a list of down-to-earth, laid back nice guys that are heads of big corporation's and still manage to do their jobs. No one? Good didn't think so.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

This may make me unpopular, but I would encourage everyone here and everyone that is going, to actually CHEER Bettman.

Okay, I fully realize that for some of you, actually cheering would give you an aneurysm. How about subdued applause? One or two claps? Silence?

I am just of the opinion that the booing of Bettman during the Stanley Cup Presentation was just...

Classless.

I want Minnesota to be represented better.

I can list my reasons for why I don't think Bettman sucks, but most people already have their opinions...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
This may make me unpopular, but I would encourage everyone here and everyone that is going, to actually CHEER Bettman.

Okay, I fully realize that for some of you, actually cheering would give you an aneurysm. How about subdued applause? One or two claps? Silence?

I am just of the opinion that the booing of Bettman during the Stanley Cup Presentation was just...

Classless.

I can list my reasons for why I don't think Bettman sucks, but most people already have their opinions...

But... I've already got my torch lit...

Actually, I think that if he came up to the podium and was met with pure silence, it would be way better than any sort of booing he's gotten in the past. It'd be interesting to see his reaction to NOT being met by boo's.

Good points Bozak.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Booing or not booing Bettman isn't going to change anyone's opinion of Minnesota. People will still think we're flyover country and/or part of Canada where coach Lemaire forces Marian Gaborik to play really boring hockey, but we've got a really charming arena and nice third jerseys.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

To be fair, you would think other fans would give Minnesota credit. It's the one place in America which actually pulled off the "build the game and produce players...then we'll talk about whether or not your city deserves a team" mantra many have.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Classless.

I see it the other way entirely. We've got this reputation of having boring, passive fans, and if we break the long-standing NHL tradition of booing Bettman at every public appearance, that's not going to help matters.

Old
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Wow, he sneaks in under the family of a man we pay respects to. How clever....

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:52 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Wow, he sneaks in under the family of a man we pay respects to. How clever....
Yeah, sneak in under the guise of introducing a widow, so nobody dares to boo...

Old
06-24-2011, 07:19 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Classless, even for Bettman. We've taken every chance since, though.

Old
06-24-2011, 09:04 PM
QcS

Just a thought, but maybe Minnesota fans (not all of them, i know) should boo less and cheer a bit more.

Booing Pierre Gauthier who is speaking french (especially as he was wishing francophones a happy St-Jean.. Québec`s national holiday which is today) and then starting a U-S-A chant wasn`t the most brilliant thing i`ve seen at a draft. I`m sure Latendresse and Bouchard did a huge facepalm while hearing that.

Note, i`m saying SOME fans.. of course, most other fans are smarter.. but some should have just stayed home tonight.

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm blaming it on the drunk Winnipegers that came down from Canadia.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:12 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Was certainly embarrassed by the fans booing Montreal. Even worse when they started the "USA" chants. Totally disgusted and confusing at the same time. Never once were there any signs of that crap when the Habs would step inside the Xcel during the past 10 years. If anything, they were welcomed. Seriously, WTH were those bad apples in the group thinking tonight?

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Thank you from all the Blueshirts fans out there for your classy recognition of Aaron and Derek. Just wonderful, brought tears to my eyes. Good job, Minny.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 11:48 PM
MK9

Fans at the draft were just acting ********. Booing anything and everything for zero reason. They booed when it was announced that Florida would pick next. Wtf? Asinine.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Fans at the draft were just acting ********. Booing anything and everything for zero reason. They booed when it was announced that Florida would pick next. Wtf? Asinine.
They weren't booing Florida, they weere booing Bettman every time he stepped on stage, got really old really fast.

Rabid Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Kari Takko

A lot of the booing was coming from the huge contingent of Winnepeg fans.

I can only speak for myself as the only booing I did was for the Dallas Stars and the Derek Boogaard tribute. I was actually in the john when Montreal picked. I had no idea people were booing the French language.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
A lot of the booing was coming from the huge contingent of Winnepeg fans.

I can only speak for myself as the only booing I did was for the Dallas Stars and the Derek Boogaard tribute. I was actually in the john when Montreal picked. I had no idea people were booing the French language.
Same here...Montreal was on the clock, went for a bathroom run, their pick was already done with when I got back...never heard any boos.