HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...uwer-capitals/
Quote:
Brouwer was highly sought after, too. The Vancouver Sun reported the Canucks were involved in talks to deal the 29th pick to Chicago for Brouwer, who will be a restricted free agent on July 1.
Would like this deal if it were coupled with a subsequent trade for a second or third but in itself I don't mind it. Steep but, hey, they're being aggressive. They're also trying to make the team harder to play against and if they continue in that vein then I'll like it even better.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:23 AM
EroCaps

Winning the battles, losing the war.

He's been an NHL GM for almost 15 years and won 2 playoff series with teams he built---and built with lottery picks.

Enough said.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...uwer-capitals/

Would like this deal if it were coupled with a subsequent trade for a second or third but in itself I don't mind it. Steep but, hey, they're being aggressive. They're also trying to make the team harder to play against and if they continue in that vein then I'll like it even better.
That's the issue I have

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:36 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Ero. His core is here. He just needs to thin it, his updated core still intact.

But pants off to George, he whipped out his nuts today. Take that holmes. And simmonds.

I think its a good next step for him to try. The guy he didnt draft today, may never be a star before he was long gone. He drafted Gus. Consider giving him a break on landing a roster player here in prospectville.

wasted of course

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:41 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I've decided that there are virtually no moves the Caps could make this offseason that would make everyone happy.

There's a clamoring for more North American grit. Then when some is acquired, its a bad deal because it's an over payment.

Whatever. I'm just happier the team is better today than it was yesterday. Ideally, this move is just a contingency for Laich leaving, and doesn't mean the organization won't pursue him anymore.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
That's the issue I have
I'm not sure I'm following. The Caps should have moved a piece off the roster to acquire a 2nd or 3rd in what most people consider a weak draft?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

From what I've read so far, I'm cool with the trade. My biggest concern is how well he can and will play defensively. 5th over all in hits is pretty darn impressive. We obviously need a better forecheck. He has big playoff experience and has won a Cup- thats also an obvious need. He is only 25 and has 2 years of restricted free agency left and only made about 2 mil last year. He has averaged about 20 goals per year and is willing to score the dirty goals. This draft pick was a late pick in a trash draft and we all want to win now so I don't really care about the pick at all. I was hoping he would trade it and I had a feeling he would based on the team's situation and GM's recent comments. I don't see the connection between this and Laich. They're separate issues. If the Caps choose not to resign him, this won't be the reason why. Critique that based on the context if it happens. That's the glass half full.

The glass half empty is that I felt before the trade deadline that even trading for Richards and giving up no roster players would not deliver this team a Cup because they will never win a Cup under Bruce. That was reconfirmed by the way the way they were swept in the 2nd round. This is the right kind of guy to add to the team though and I consider it a step in the right direction.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:10 AM
sunnydaycrash

Caps definitely need more of this

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:40 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Winning the battles, losing the war.

He's been an NHL GM for almost 15 years and won 2 playoff series with teams he built---and built with lottery picks.

Enough said.
Well might as well come out and take the stance that there is nothing in the universe that GMGM could do to please you .

06-25-2011, 02:14 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I've decided that there are virtually no moves the Caps could make this offseason that would make everyone happy.

There's a clamoring for more North American grit. Then when some is acquired, its a bad deal because it's an over payment.

Whatever. I'm just happier the team is better today than it was yesterday. Ideally, this move is just a contingency for Laich leaving, and doesn't mean the organization won't pursue him anymore.
I originally posted when this trade was made I thought it wasn't very good. I will admit after sitting down and thinking about it, I like the trade. I am one of those wanting grit and GMGM did get it. Had this been a deep draft, I would have wondered why a 1st more thoroughly. When I sat down and thought this, I thought to myself this pick might have been a Pokulok pick and I am glad we got a roster player with SC experience.

As for the Laich talk, I have yet to see anything in the media that he is leaving and if I was him I would want to see what contract I could get before making a decision. This could be his last contract where he can make some legitimate money. Now, if Laich leaves I just hope he goes West or away from a rival. If he stays, that is more grit on this team and a class act player staying. Regardless, this draft and UFA season is a really unattractive list and we get a tough player and that is what this team needs. The time now is to win and I rather take chances this year than wait for a prospect to develop when the core are 30 something. Btw, Laich on the rangers with Coach Tortorella scares the hell out of me.

Go Caps!!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:21 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Brouwer hits and fights ,, You guys will like that and he is a good guy/teammate

But he is extremely streaky offensively (Didn't score a goal the final 22 reg games and 7 playoff games) and his defense is terrible

He feel out of favor as the LW with Toews/Kane and spent rest of season bouncing around our 4 lines but most of playoffs/late season he was 4th line RW

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Just for the record, I like this trade. Back to baby feeding.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:25 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

A late 1st for a young roster player who has shown he can play well and produce with elite offensive talent. Next year is Brouwer's 4th full NHL season. He's young, still has upside and brings the hitting and grit. Something that SORELY needed on this team. He's also won a Cup as a very young player. I love this pickup by McPhee. These are the types of guys he should be looking to acquire. Now lock him up for 4 years at cheap rate if you can to make it worthwhile.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:31 AM
goph94
Freezing

I know I'm a newcomer to this board, but some of these comments just seem silly.

Based on the merits of this swap alone (not considering the implications of Laich leaving/resigning), I like this move. Brouwer is a tough forward with a scoring touch. He has shown the ability to score ~20 goals in a variety of circumstances. He's proven his versatility with CHI, and it can also be argued that the same versatility he carries as an asset sometimes hinders his overall production given the fact they had no problems putting him on the checking line. Furthermore, from what I've heard they've sometimes had him on a short leash and weren't at all hesitant to drop him down lines if he went a couple games without putting up numbers.

Lest we not forget, his performance dropped off after his shoulder injury back in April, which he ended up playing through into the playoffs. Yes, ideally I'd have expected some increased production from him this season, but there's a reasonable expectation that a healthy Brouwer (who is only 25 and is still entering his prime years) should be able to get back on the breakout track he established in 09-10 on his way to becoming a bonafide power forward in this league.

To me, that's the most important component of his game. He has the size to bull his way to the net and establish a physical presence in the offensive zone. And as some have mentioned, he was FIFTH in the NHL in hits this year. His forechecking alone is a big addition to the Caps, and something the team has sorely been lacking. Frankly, I feel that many fans overlook or underrate that part of the game. Even if the forecheck doesn't result in a big hit, a team that's able to utilize a good, disciplined forechecking game creates steady pressure on the opposing D-men making breakouts and transitions much more difficult. Just ask Tampa Bay... :|

Bottom line is that Brouwer is a good asset to have. And I'm willing to part with a LATE 1st rounder to get him. I can't help but think if the Caps had given up the 31st pick (and hence a 2nd rounder), the opposing voices would be quite a bit softer. In a draft that is commonly thought to be pretty damn mediocre, I think that's a fair trade.

goph94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:37 AM
goph94
Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
A late 1st for a young roster player who has shown he can play well and produce with elite offensive talent. Next year is Brouwer's 4th full NHL season. He's young, still has upside and brings the hitting and grit. Something that SORELY needed on this team. He's also won a Cup as a very young player. I love this pickup by McPhee. These are the types of guys he should be looking to acquire. Now lock him up for 4 years at cheap rate if you can to make it worthwhile.
Ha I feel a little silly that while I was typing up my rambling post, you pretty much summed it up tidily

The only thing I'll add is that before this draft I was hoping that someone like Jensen/Biggs would fall to 26. Turns out we coulda had Jensen, but I have no problem with basically swapping that opportunity for Brouwer, who is a known commodity. Jensen may have more offensive upside, but the uncertainty of him producing in the bigs makes it an easy decision for me. Brouwer > Jensen

Old
06-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Atlas

I like Brouwer but I don't like the trade. Brouwer's fight card isn't too impressive and he wears a visor. He's not really a fighter. He'll be more courageous than most of the current Caps so it's a move in the right direction, I guess.

But I think the Caps could've done better. Why didn't McPhee trade the 1st rounder at the Trade Deadline? He has plenty of assets. This move is minor tinkering. It's not bold. Not creative.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by goph94 View Post

Lest we not forget, his performance dropped off after his shoulder injury back in April, which he ended up playing through into the playoffs. Yes, ideally I'd have expected some increased production from him this season, but there's a reasonable expectation that a healthy Brouwer (who is only 25 and is still entering his prime years) should be able to get back on the breakout track he established in 09-10 on his way to becoming a bonafide power forward in this league.

He hurt his shoulder vs Habs yes his final regular season game

But his final 27 regular season games his production was

2 goals + 3 assists -6

He was struggling from Feb thru end of year

Also Brouwer was hardly used in a defensive role because he is liability 5 on 5 in his own end and is of no use on PK

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:04 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I like Brouwer but I don't like the trade. Brouwer's fight card isn't too impressive and he wears a visor. He's not really a fighter. He'll be more courageous than most of the current Caps so it's a move in the right direction, I guess.

But I think the Caps could've done better. Why didn't McPhee trade the 1st rounder at the Trade Deadline? He has plenty of assets. This move is minor tinkering. It's not bold. Not creative.
These are such non issues....when building a hockey team...I mean come on dude....his fight card and his visor? Really? Reeally? REEEEAALLY? Really?

You have no idea what was available in a trade at any other time before this. Give it some time. McPhee has a lot of options and probably more trade partners to do things with around July 1st.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:05 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

2 goals + 3 assists -6

Also Brouwer was hardly used in a defensive role because he is liability 5 on 5 in his own end and is of no use on PK
He doesn't need to kill penalties here. Non-factor.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:21 AM
goph94
Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

2 goals + 3 assists -6

Agreed. I'm not saying that his shoulder is the sole reason for his drop-off, only that it was a contributing factor. I concur that his performance as a whole this season wasn't where CHI (and now, WSH) would have liked it to have been. But offensively, I expect a guy like Brouwer to support his teammates and provide secondary scoring. I leave the heavy lifting to guys like Ovi and Semin, who despite being a much more prolific offensive threat, languished himself through a 17-gm goalless streak where he only registered 6 pts.

Not that Brouwer is necessarily the panacea that fixes all of this team's problems, but I really think that what he brings helps in that regard. If there weren't any downsides to him, then I would think CHI wouldn't have considered him expendable by what I assume to be the emergence of Bickell and/or Ben Smith.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
These are such non issues....when building a hockey team...I mean come on dude....his fight card and his visor? Really? Reeally? REEEEAALLY? Really?

You have no idea what was available in a trade at any other time before this. Give it some time. McPhee has a lot of options and probably more trade partners to do things with around July 1st.

I liked that people were saying Brouwer fought because Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Green need guys to watch their back. Brashear was great at that. The Caps were much more brave.

This year, Boudreau didn't play King and King wasn't too good when did get in. As it turned out, the Caps were spineless this year.

Brouwer will help a little but I was disappointed to find he isn't really a fighter. That's not gonna be a big part of what he brings. McPhee could've used that 1st rounder better IMO. But it's not the worst trade ever or anything.

Btw, I saw on the main board that you consider yourself anti-McPhee. I was surprised because you support him here more than just about anyone these days.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Never to the mind.

Last edited by Marshall: 06-25-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

As for the trade, works for me. This draft stunk, the Caps got a physical winger, GMGM's interview actually meant something (more on that later), and the folks who think that being media-friendly = being a leader in the room just got it in the junk.

Wins all around.

Ed - Addendum: You wear #22 in DC, best you go to the front of the net and occasionally punch someone in the face in a scrum.

Last edited by Marshall: 06-25-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:32 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
As for the trade, works for me. This draft stunk, the Caps got a physical winger, GMGM's interview actually meant something (more on that later), and the folks who think that being media-friendly = being a leader in the room just got it in the junk.

Wins all around.
Exactly. I love this trade.

These boards can be a joke at times. So many people just logging on to complain regardless of what happened. Some people just aren't happy unless there is something to be upset about.

Weak draft. Great trade.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:05 AM
txpd

I doubt Brouwer gets to wear 22 in DC next season....Knuble.

This is a player that leads his team in hits and has a cup ring and not over the hill at the same time. I thought that it something people here wanted.

At the deadline the 1st round pick almost always acquires a rental. Maybe that is why he didnt use it then. He is getting a player with a cup ring for three seasons at a minimum.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote