HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you have traded the 1st for Brouwer?

View Poll Results: Would you have traded the 17th pick for Brouwer?
Yes 8 4.55%
No 168 95.45%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 06:39 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
View Poll Results: Would you have traded the 17th pick for Brouwer?
Yes 1 1.27%
No 78 98.73%

LOL, I don't think I've ever seen that. If anything, people use vote something they didn't want to by mistake. But not even in this case.

A better poll would have been, would you have traded a 2nd for 1 year of Liles ? I would have. Well, a 2nd in 2012 I guess, if we even have it still.
87-1 now.

This might be the most lopsided poll in the history of life.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

No, nada, niet, never.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:24 AM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Nope. BUT...

When will Habs management be more aggressive on need assessment and satisfaction.

Look at GM's like Holmgren, that DO what needs to be done, not afraid to move. Albeit the risks are higher.

What I dislike from Habs management is always taking the baby steps approach. A little here, a little there...

We need a bonified top 6 gritty player to counter the inconsistencies in our goal scoring. PG DO SOMETHING.

...and I'm not implying doing something just for the sake of doing something.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Nope. BUT...

When will Habs management be more aggressive on need assessment and satisfaction.

Look at GM's like Holmgren, that DO what needs to be done, not afraid to move. Albeit the risks are higher.

What I dislike from Habs management is always taking the baby steps approach. A little here, a little there...

We need a bonified top 6 gritty player to counter the inconsistencies in our goal scoring. PG DO SOMETHING.

...and I'm not implying doing something just for the sake of doing something.
They turnover 75% of the roster in 24 months, what other NHL team has done that?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:30 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Guy got six more points than Pouliot. I don't care what your "intangibles" are(unless you're an elite shut down D), would you trade a first for Pouliot + 6 points and a couple hits?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:09 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
87-1 now.

This might be the most lopsided poll in the history of life.
I'm very surprised. I would have tried a 1st for Brower and a 2nd and/or 3rd. Isn't a gritty power forward more important to us than a mid-1st rder who may never even make the team,and if so is at least 3-5 yrs away.Or is it bc he's French ?

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
I'm very surprised. I would have tried a 1st for Brower and a 2nd and/or 3rd. Isn't a gritty power forward more important to us than a mid-1st rder who may never even make the team,and if so is at least 3-5 yrs away.Or is it bc he's French ?
'Cause Nathan Beaulieu is french? Try again.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:12 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
They turnover 75% of the roster in 24 months, what other NHL team has done that?
And we're still in the same place,1st rd fodder,around 15th in the league.What good is turnaround if you don't improve. Our best chance was the 2008 off-season after the 1st place finish.But the tweaks didn't work

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Not that I entirely disagree but the overall idea of your point, but I believe this quote is not entirely true.

I believe that whenever deals are made that doesn't involve our team, that's what we believe. But if OUR team makes moves just to make them and we happen to dislike it profoundly....we are not going to salute our GM for not hesitating to move....When you are attached to a team, you don't react the same way.

Strangely, while I already had mentioned that it wasn't that bad of deals even the one involving Richards, now it seems that the Couturier pick, by itself, made those deals great.....Well, it looks like it, but let's see. Habs have chance the offensive core of their taem just like that, and I didn't agree with it. But I believe that if another team would have done the same deal, we would have acknowledge the guts it take to make it....while we'd still be mentioning how small all of those players were....

Old
06-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
And we're still in the same place,1st rd fodder,around 15th in the league.What good is turnaround if you don't improve. Our best chance was the 2008 off-season after the 1st place finish.But the tweaks didn't work
Maybe the tweaks would have worked if our best player hadn't missed the whole year and one of our biggest/best forwards wasn't out with a broken neck...but don't let the facts get in the way of your pessimism.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that I entirely disagree but the overall idea of your point, but I believe this quote is not entirely true.

I believe that whenever deals are made that doesn't involve our team, that's what we believe. But if OUR team makes moves just to make them and we happen to dislike it profoundly....we are not going to salute our GM for not hesitating to move....When you are attached to a team, you don't react the same way.

Strangely, while I already had mentioned that it wasn't that bad of deals even the one involving Richards, now it seems that the Couturier pick, by itself, made those deals great.....Well, it looks like it, but let's see. Habs have chance the offensive core of their taem just like that, and I didn't agree with it. But I believe that if another team would have done the same deal, we would have acknowledge the guts it take to make it....while we'd still be mentioning how small all of those players were....
Getting Couturier wasn't a big shocker, he was in the 2nd tier with Hamilton, Murphy and Strome. The only surprise pick in there was Zibanejad at #6. At the end of the day Phillie traded guys in their prime that were all-stars or darn close and got back mostly guys taht will help them in 2-3-4 years. That doesn't win you a cup this coming year...and thir top 2 defensemen are both 37.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:47 AM
MTL-rules

Next year's 1st round draft pick, yes... he's a power forward in the Andrew Ladd mold... we badly need this kind of player.

PG better sign Laich...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Of course, there had to be a pity vote by Reign40.

Yes 2 1.71%
No 115 98.29%

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Getting Couturier wasn't a big shocker, he was in the 2nd tier with Hamilton, Murphy and Strome. The only surprise pick in there was Zibanejad at #6. At the end of the day Phillie traded guys in their prime that were all-stars or darn close and got back mostly guys taht will help them in 2-3-4 years. That doesn't win you a cup this coming year...and thir top 2 defensemen are both 37.
I agree but they're not done yet... now they have the assets to get Shea Weber...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:05 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
While this would have been a horrible move by us. Its actually a decent move by Washington. They basically replace Laich at $1m. I mean he's not quite as good as Laich but he's pretty damm close but $3m cheaper.

That's the difference between a 17th pick where you can find a gem that has fallen and a 26th pick though.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Gauthier said in the interview with tsn that the calls were to move back in the trade for extra picks and he didn't want to miss out on Beaulieu.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:17 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
lmao 124-2.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
SnapVirus

The questions is :

If Brouwer is worth a 1st y11, what could we get for Pouliot?

or...

If Liles is worth a 2nd pick y12, what could we get for Spacek?

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
While this would have been a horrible move by us. Its actually a decent move by Washington. They basically replace Laich at $1m. I mean he's not quite as good as Laich but he's pretty damm close but $3m cheaper.
$1 million is what Brouwer was paid last season.

According to Chicago fans, he was asking for 2.5 million for his new contract.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
TSN announced that it was agreed to way, way before they actually announced it at the draft. I think they said they would announce it before Washington's pick (which they did).
You got your timing wrong. TSN announced the trade AFTER the Habs were on the podium. They did however say AT THAT TIME that the official announcement would likely be done before Washington picks. BEFORE the commercial break, BEFORE Montreal stepped on the podium, they announced that MTL and CHI were on the phone. Why am I convinced? I thought for sure it was about Brouwer.

Regardless. People wouldn't have done the trade. I would have. Why? Because Brouwer is a 25 year old RFA who still has at least 10-12 years left in this league, and he answers a need on the team. He is good at both ends of the ice and would have allowed some competition between AK and MaxPac, while providing more depth in case of injuries on the top 6.

A prospect remains a prospect and as much as I like Beaulieu, nothing says that he'll pan out, as much as we're trying to convince ourselves.

What I do find a bit ironic I must say, is the fact that we're okay with Gauthier trading away our future for rental players in Moore, Wisniewski, Sopel and company but we're not okay with doing the same with players who would actually be with the team for the long run. But hey, that's just me...

Now is Brouwer worth the 17th pick? Mmmm... maybe so, maybe not. What I do know is that he's a 20 goals scorer who has size and is physical, something the Habs are lacking.

Honestly, I'd rather have Holmgren as a GM than Gauthier. I like guys who recognize their team's needs, and arent' afraid to take calculated risks to improve their team... and I'm talking about bold risks, not rental players when the team isn't competing for the Cup.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:44 AM
MathMan

I guess most people don't want big third-liners who hit quite as badly as Habsterix does.

And maybe they don't view a guy with one 22-goal season (and 19% shooting!) as a "20-goal scorer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have Holmgren as a GM than Gauthier. I like guys who recognize their team's needs, and arent' afraid to take calculated risks to improve their team... and I'm talking about bold risks, not rental players when the team isn't competing for the Cup.
Holmgren just dismantled a Cup Contender. Individually, his trades are defensible, the Bryzgalov contract is ridiculous but they've had goalies issues in forever and panicked. Together? Together, they would have had me horrified if I were a Flyers fans and have me grinning as a Habs fan. It'll take at least three years for Philly to get back to the same level, if his moves pan out. He got lucky when the teams in front of him foolishly let Couturier fall to him, but sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I don't care what your "intangibles" are(unless you're an elite shut down D)
Elite shutdown D is hardly an intangible!

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I guess most people don't want big guys who hit quite as badly as Habsterix does.
I think you're confused here Mathman... The way I read this thread, people want Brouwer (in general), therefore recognizing the need for it, but not for the 17th pick. BIG difference.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Corncob

Quote:
I think you're confused here Mathman... The way I read this thread, people want Brouwer (in general), therefore recognizing the need for it, but not for the 17th pick. BIG difference.
Indeed, wouldn't mind Brouwer at all but (a) not at the cost of the 17th overall and (b) would worry at his salary demands and the fact that he's arbitration-eligable and has some nice stats from ice time with Toews and Kane that an arbitration hearing might be impressed by.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:59 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with that. I said they don't want him as badly as you do. You were willing to give a first for him. Most people aren't.

I wouldn't mind having him either. Third-liner, can play hockey well. Just not for Nathan Beaulieu.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I guess most people don't want big third-liners who hit quite as badly as Habsterix does.

And maybe they don't view a guy with one 22-goal season (and 19% shooting!) as a "20-goal scorer".
You forgot the huge proportion of offensive-zone faceoffs in there too (60% Ozone%).

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote