HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you satisfied with the first day of the draft?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with our first round of the 2011 draft?
Yes 145 97.97%
No 3 2.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 07:53 AM
H2O

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymistri View Post
Leafs fan living in Ottawa.

Think Ottawa did good in the 1st round.

A few thoughts though...

If the Leafs wanted Puempel they could have grabbed him at 22.
I firmly believe they wanted Percy with their 2nd pick. Would have happened at 30 if not for the trade.

I really hope BM didn't make that deal for any reason relating to pissing off Burke.

That being said. I am wondering if Ottawa could have just taken Puempel at 21 and used the 35th on Noesen and held on to the second round pick.

Just a thought.
Or maybe the Leafs thought they can get Puempel with their 2nd pick? Or its just the fans that wanted him. Either way, it's idiotic to think Murray made the pick to piss off anybody. Listening to Dorion's interview, they debated Noesen vs Puempel for the 21st overall pick and eventually decided on Noesen. But in the end, they were able to get both. WIN!

Murray must of had a strong feeling that Noesen wasn't going to last til the 35th pick.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
I really like the Puempel pick. He really has the potential to compliment Spezza on the first line in a few years.

Zibanejad, obviously haven't seen outside of video clips. From how he handled himself at the draft, I'm liking the kid. If he can pan out as a 2nd line guy, then I'll be very happy.

Noesen, that's a bit of a head-scratcher. I would've preferred going for a little more high-end skill. However, from what scouting reports say, it looks like the kid hasn't even started to scratch the surface of his potential yet. We may get lucky and the kid may really blossom next year and we'll have a real steal.

Overall, can't complain. 3 first rounders should do wonders for our depth and filling some of our weaknesses at forward.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

We went off the board for Noesen, so they obviously think highly of him, and we traded away to get Puempel. This wasn't the sens taking the guy with the biggest hype still on the board. They knew who they wanted and went out and got them.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

I'm more than happy with the draft. I don't think that Toronto expected Ottawa to move up and take Puempel, but there's no telling whether or not Burke actually wanted him. I'm pretty happy that we got Noesen and Puempel, and even though Zibanejad wasn't our first option I think he has a lot of potential and isn't far off from getting Landeskog.

I think that all three will be wingers in the NHL if Da Costa can develop well it should happen. By then of course we could get some better centre prospects too (next year?)

Either way I think Jadzy will be my favorite player from this draft.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Micklebot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I'm more than happy with the draft. I don't think that Toronto expected Ottawa to move up and take Puempel, but there's no telling whether or not Burke actually wanted him. I'm pretty happy that we got Noesen and Puempel, and even though Zibanejad wasn't our first option I think he has a lot of potential and isn't far off from getting Landeskog.
Are we sure he isn't who we were targeting? We showed a willingness to go off the board with Noesen, and Sensay (not sure how reliable he is) is reporting that a former scout is saying Zib is the best Swedish player in the draft including Landeskog http://sensay.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/zabinawhaaaa/

Micklebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

I don't know anything about any of the prospects but picking 3 times in the first round and the confidence of our staff in going 'off the wall' to a certain extent to get the guy they want as opposed to following the rankings makes me feel good about the first day.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Are we sure he isn't who we were targeting? We showed a willingness to go off the board with Noesen, and Sensay (not sure how reliable he is) is reporting that a former scout is saying Zib is the best Swedish player in the draft including Landeskog http://sensay.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/zabinawhaaaa/
If that trusted Swedish source is Anders Forsberg -- and really who else would it be -- then I'm really excited.

That guy knows what he's talking about.

Asquaredx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
So.... Zib for Hall? (just kidding)

But seriously, thanks. And here's hoping the Oil get Smyth and maybe another vet and make strides closer to a playoff position this year. The Oil are now where I want the Sens to be in a couple of years.

As for the Sens draft, I found the Noesen pick to be a little out of left field, but if I've learned one thing in Murray's tenure as GM, its that we need to trust him and his staff when it comes to the draft. They are MUCH smarter than all of us at evaluating talent.
Really?

You want the Sens to draft 1st overall the next 2 years I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
The thing is most people check the rankings and think this guy or that guy is the best among the rest. But the difference with Sens brass is that they put time in the equation. They think that while this guy is the best at this point in time, that other guy will be better in the long run. That's how they draft. That is why they like fast risers so much. Look at Erik Karlsson. People were shocked by that selection too. Same with Cowen, same with Rundblad. Well, same for every decision they have made.

PS : Yes, that Swedish source is probably Anders Forsberg. We have a spy in Sweden

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote