HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Grachev traded to STL for pick #72

Old
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
Firehose to drink firewater.
Yeah, that tells me nothing lol.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Nobody liked the Stepan pick, nobody likes this trade. Lulz.
You called the Rangers wanting a 3rd.......good call

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Oy. This is going to come back to bite us, I'm positive.

Couldn't at least get another asset for him? Doesn't strike me as a Sather special.
I really doubt it. Sure, hes young, but Grachev's career arc is all too common.

Dominates juniors due mostly to his size and tools - Grachev was also helped immensely by playing on a line with 2 top 10 picks.

When you take that next step, you need more than physical tools, and Grachev just doesnt seem to have it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather made this move on his zone???????Schoenfeld didn't have any input. He sees Grachev all the time. Clark and Gorton didn't have any input. They run the personnel department.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Nobody liked the Stepan pick, nobody likes this trade. Lulz.
And because Stepan turned out good, this trade will too? Ok.

Nothing against Fogerty, I hope he turns out great, but we gave up on Grachev too soon.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Again, centers with size and offensive upside, who play with an edge...sign me up. Grachev got bypassed. It happens.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

The New York Rangers / Team USA.

Love it.

Its right. The scouting staff knows Grachev better than anyone else. They must have soured on him for some reason. His time in the NHL last season was a major Meh, but then again he still had time to develop, a lot of time.

But i think what this tells you is the Rangers arent going to get attached to prospects like they have in the past, only to watch them fail to make it to the NHL. Us fans who get emotional at times like these have to take a step back and realize that not every prospect makes it, so if you have a chance to reset and go for a guy with potential then you do it before you completely lose the value of a guy like Grachev. Look where Sangs is. Its the nature of the beast.

Tough to see him go, but Fogarty seems high risk/reward which is what this draft is all about imo.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He went playing from MN HSers to the USHL where the players are as old as 21 years old after his high school season. He joined that team towards the end of the season and it hurt his draft stock because he was in over his head a bit, however, it showed that he wants to improve and that he LOVES hockey. Most kids after their season take time off. He wanted to move up and play more with better players to know what he needs to work on.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:26 AM
bmw2004

I hope Grachev become 30 goal 70 point player.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McMonster

Hate this

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Colt Seavers

Quote:
I read it to mean that he'd been boozing. Though I could be reading it wrong...but maybe it infers he'd been risking his draft stock by partying...I dunno. That's what I got from it. Hope I'm wrong.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
azrok22

vCash: 50
I'm pretty ambivalent. I was really high on Grachev after he tore up juniors, but there's no question that his development since has not gone as planned. I think it was a huge mistake by him leaving for the AHL as a 19 year old.

I would've probably guessed that his value was a 2nd rounder, but the return wasn't that far out of line with that.

I'm definitely more disappointed that Grachev hasn't developed better in the AHL than the fact that we traded him for the 72nd pick.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

I'm not upset that we cut bait on Grachev. What I am upset about is that we got a mere 3rd rounder for him. Really Sather? You couldn't get anything more? I highly doubt that

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Gordie was probably high on this guy and trading Grachev isn't that big of a disappointment. He was a 3rd round pick and we got a 3rd round pick in return for him. It was pretty clear they believe they mismanaged him and needed to get something now for him before his stock falls further.
Mismanage? They did not mismanage him at all. He just wasn't as good as we thought.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Second, this team finally, after soooo many years, appears to be following a direction. They place heavy emphasis on players who work hard. Players who obsess about the game and coming to the rink, and giving it their all when they get there. If a guy doesn't fit that mold, then we get him out and bring in someone who does. Bravo. A move like this may not make sense on paper, but the games aren't played on paper. This is a lesson in chemistry. You bring in similar guys who follow the overall image of the team that you want.
This. For better or worse, they are building a TEAM and not a collection of players. They chose a certain style of play based around our core players and are building out from there. If you fall outside that mold, you stand a good chance of getting replaced.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Oy. This is going to come back to bite us, I'm positive.

Couldn't at least get another asset for him? Doesn't strike me as a Sather special.
Grachev was not very impressive in his limited time here and though his game got stronger as the season went on for the Whale when this team was falling apart due to injuries we had guys like Newbury, Zucc, Kolarik, Dupont, and Weise getting the call not Grachev. I don't see Grachev beating out Thomas, Hagelin, or Zucc for a 3rd line spot, I think the change is the best thing for Grachev. Some players just don't work out with certain teams, Grachev was never going to make our lineup IMO.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I read it to mean that he'd been boozing. Though I could be reading it wrong...but maybe it infers he'd been risking his draft stock by partying...I dunno. That's what I got from it. Hope I'm wrong.
Drinking from the firehouse is a common saying. It means trial by fire, a big jump up in competition in this case. Its bizarre to me that people have never heard that phrase before and even more bizarre that you'd take it as if hes an alcoholic or something.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Thats totally incorrect.......

Old
SML

One thing I will give Sather credit for is his ability to sniff out a dog when he sees one. The problem is, he can only spot them after we own them. He had some terrible ones in Edmonton. But I can hardly remember a situation where Sather cut bait on a guy and turned out to be wrong about him. Once Sather hits the eject button on a guy, they usually are finished.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

After a bit its not a bad trade after all. I dont see Grachev going any were, he has no hockey IQ. But the problem is we could of gotten a second round pick for him.

Hanke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
What would happen if you tried to drink from a fire hose?

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
And because Stepan turned out good, this trade will too? Ok.

Nothing against Fogerty, I hope he turns out great, but we gave up on Grachev too soon.
You are missing the point. The vast majority on our board know NOTHING of US HS hockey. I and a few others do. I told all of you that the Stepan pick was going to be great. I am telling you that this pick has the same potential for greatness. It's equal potential for busting, too, but the upside is more than Grachev ever would have been with how he's developed.

So calm the hell down and do some research before y'all freak out on the move.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Hahaha what? It means being overwhelmed, ie theres too much water coming out of a firehose for you to drink. They are basically just saying he's overwhelming/immersing himself in hockey.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeyBasedNYC

They took a center in Miller, and Christian Thomas is propelling himself at RW as well. The Rangers might have plans to bring in an NHL guy to fill Grachevs spot too. We dont know the full scope of this. It is what it is. I trust the organ-eye-zation on this one.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:30 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Hate the trade.

Happy with the selection.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote