HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Magnus Hellberg, G, 38th Overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 10:24 AM
  #1
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Magnus Hellberg, G, 38th Overall

Magnus Hellberg
6'5", 185 lbs.
Almtuna, 31 GP, 2.04 GAA, .936 SV%

Big goalie, lots of promise. Not sure I like the choice to go goaltender, but it's not bad.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:34 AM
  #2
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,151
vCash: 500
We reached for a guy at a position we didnt need..... do not understand unless Lindback is traded.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
  #3
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Comes out of Lindback's system.

Some info

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=868693


http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/search...nus%20Hellberg

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...sion&Itemid=93


I don't think it was a reach-- looks like he was going 2nd round. The problem is that it's hard to get good value in a trade for anyone other than a starter. He could trade Rinne, let Lindback start, trade Lindback and let Engren start, trade Engren and let this guy start... but that looks unlikely. He got value for TV (forced trade) and did ok with Mason and Ellis given the circumstances. It's tough to imagine you get much for Lindback at this point and I doubt a Rinne trade is in the cards.


Last edited by braindead: 06-25-2011 at 10:44 AM.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
  #4
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 500
Really think we could have waited until the 4th

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:47 AM
  #5
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
We reached for a guy at a position we didnt need..... do not understand unless Lindback is traded.
We were taking at least 1, if not 2 goalies this weekend. All of our goalies in the system have turned pro. Dekanich is a UFA, Pickard is a bust. Engren is a project and then there's Smith.

We aren't as strong at the position as you think. I don't have a problem with the pick because I believe Hellberg was the No. 1 player left on our board and it addresses an organizational area of need.

Gotta remember, guys drafted today - especially in the 2nd round - are not guys that are going to be in Nashville this year. They are guys that will make an impact 3-5 years down the road.

Everything I've heard about Hellberg has been positive. He's big, he's athletic, and he has really come out of nowhere (unranked at midterm rankings to 2nd G from Europe in final rankings). He's very similar to Lindback and could develop into an impact player down the line.

I'll agree, that it might have been nice to select a forward at 38, but that can be said about almost every pick. You draft BPA and in this case, I'm comfortable with the pick...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
  #6
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Comes out of Lindback's system.

Some info

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=868693


http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/search...nus%20Hellberg

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...sion&Itemid=93


I don't think it was a reach-- looks like he was going 2nd round. The problem is that it's hard to get good value in a trade for anyone other than a starter. He could trade Rinne, let Lindback start, trade Lindback and let Engren start, trade Engren and let this guy start... but that looks unlikely. He got value for TV (forced trade) and did ok with Mason and Ellis given the circumstances. It's tough to imagine you get much for Lindback at this point and I doubt a Rinne trade is in the cards.
If that is the route we go, revolving door @ goal, then so be it

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:49 AM
  #7
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
We reached for a guy at a position we didnt need..... do not understand unless Lindback is traded.
He was the best goalie in the J20Elit two years ago, and finished second in the Allsvenskan in GAA and save percentage as a 20 year-old. He pretty much was the reason Almtuna were in the Kvalserien this year. The fact that he's going to play for Frolunda for two years means he's going to get lots of experience in a high-pressure environment.

We got a really, really good goaltender who won't be here for at least another two or three years. Most of our other prospects will have panned out by then. At least two of Dekanich, Engren, and Lindback will be gone, and Smith and Pickard will have hit their ceilings by that point. I'd rather we had picked Saad, but I'm not going to complain about having one of the best Swedish goalies under 25 in our system... again.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
  #8
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We got a really, really good goaltender who won't be here for at least another two or three years. Most of our other prospects will have panned out by then. At least two of Dekanich, Engren, and Lindback will be gone, and Smith and Pickard will have hit their ceilings by that point. I'd rather we had picked Saad, but I'm not going to complain about having one of the best Swedish goalies under 25 in our system... again.
Exactly the way I feel about the pick...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:59 AM
  #9
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
I'm less annoyed with this pick then I was the Pickard first round selection.

This guy has already played at a fairly high level league, so to me that means less busto potential. And they say he's a potential star, or starter. He wasn't going to make it out of round two it sounds like, although maybe we could've got him with the second pick of the round. Obviously Poile didn't think so or want to take the chance.

It's ok. Although I was so deflated when they first called his name.

I'm underwhelmed by the next pick, Salomaki. But I don't know anything, at all, about him. At least he's a few months younger than some, hopefully he has more ofensive skill then they say. He sounds tough anyway.

The only thing deflating is the news that we were going to make a bold move to jump up into the top ten. Then we don't, and select a goalie and a gutty two way guy if the reviews are right. Oh well.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
  #10
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
It's ok. Although I was sooo deflated when they first called his name.
Funny that you mention that; his name means "Hell Mountain." I'm not sure, but I think his full name means "Great Mountain of Hell."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
  #11
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Funny that you mention that; his name means "Hell Mountain." I'm not sure, but I think his full name means "Great Mountain of Hell."
Magnus Hellberg sounds more like a well crafted beer, to me.

"A toast to the Nashville Predators, with a Magnus Hellberg!" "Hear, hear!"

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
  #12
Teekko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 254
vCash: 500

Teekko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:12 AM
  #13
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds
 
GwtGlads2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Monroe GA
Country: United States
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
Think the Preds will try to get someone either in the draft or in free agency who can get them at least 40 goals a season? I noticed the leading guy only had 23 goals and nobody even came close to 100 points.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:16 AM
  #14
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Think the Preds will try to get someone either in the draft or in free agency who can get them at least 40 goals a season? I noticed the leading guy only had 23 goals and nobody even came close to 100 points.
No, this is Nashville. They are built differently than what you are used to in Atlanta. Offense is a team concept. We are built around goaltending and defense with close to 10 guys a season in double-digits with goals and a smaller group with 20. The defense is expected to score too, but we don't try to outscore teams 6-4, we win games when we hold teams under 3 goals per game...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
  #15
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Magnus Hellberg sounds more like a well crafted beer, to me.

"A toast to the Nashville Predators, with a Magnus Hellberg!" "Hear, hear!"
I think of a comic book villain, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teko74 View Post
You know, now that we've gotten to see the away jersey on an actual person, I'm sold. It looks really good.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
  #16
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
We were taking at least 1, if not 2 goalies this weekend. All of our goalies in the system have turned pro. Dekanich is a UFA, Pickard is a bust. Engren is a project and then there's Smith.

We aren't as strong at the position as you think. I don't have a problem with the pick because I believe Hellberg was the No. 1 player left on our board and it addresses an organizational area of need.
Yeah, but we have one of the best in the world on our team right now! Who cares if we are deep at a position if we've already got the position locked up and taken care of.

This shows we aren't going to be able to lock up Rinne long term. If we could, then there is no need for another goalie, especially considering our vast abyss of scoring.

If we're ever going to be able to beat the Vancouver's of the world, we have to start drafting and developing young, talented forwards, because we don't have the resources to sign them in FA.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
  #17
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Think the Preds will try to get someone either in the draft or in free agency who can get them at least 40 goals a season?
Nope. Poile will re-sign Weber, and then say something to the effect of "our free agency was basically re-signing our core", just like pretty much every offseason.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:29 AM
  #18
Paincakes
Registered User
 
Paincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Knoxville
Country: Scotland
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
No offense meant to anyone on this board, but I think I'll take the opinion and ideas of the actual team staff, who actually scout and actually work in the hockey world, than the opinions of several regular fans on an internet message board.

I have faith in the staff. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. I highly doubt they have no idea what they are doing. Let things take their course and see what happens.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
  #19
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkIfYourHornqvist View Post
No offense meant to anyone on this board, but I think I'll take the opinion and ideas of the actual team staff, who actually scout and actually work in the hockey world, than the opinions of several regular fans on an internet message board.

I have faith in the staff. Sometimes things work, sometimes they don't. I highly doubt they have no idea what they are doing. Let things take their course and see what happens.
You are basing this faith on what exactly? You say some things work out. What has ever worked out other than Rinne and Weber?

I'll agree with you that some things haven't worked out, though. Lots of them, in fact.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
  #20
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Nope. Poile will re-sign Weber, and then say something to the effect of "our free agency was basically re-signing our core", just like pretty much every offseason.
Spot on. We always ***** about but that's the way it always is.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
  #21
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Yeah, but we have one of the best in the world on our team right now! Who cares if we are deep at a position if we've already got the position locked up and taken care of.

This shows we aren't going to be able to lock up Rinne long term. If we could, then there is no need for another goalie, especially considering our vast abyss of scoring.

If we're ever going to be able to beat the Vancouver's of the world, we have to start drafting and developing young, talented forwards, because we don't have the resources to sign them in FA.
Depth brings out the best in everyone and as we saw this season...injuries can cripple a position at a moment's notice. Rinne and Lindback are here now, but who is behind them 2-3 even 5 years from now?

This doesn't have any impact on Rinne. Hellberg is still an untested draft pick. Rinne is one of the best at his position in the league and Lindback has shown the ability to play here. They are established on the depth charts...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:50 AM
  #22
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
You are basing this faith on what exactly? You say some things work out. What has ever worked out other than Rinne and Weber?
70% of the players on our team last season are Poile picks who worked out.

Only Weber and Rinne? Suter? Klein?

Geoffrion? He looks to be working out, Or does a Hobey Baker winner who almost saved our season in Buffalo with two late goals stink like cheese? Ellis, Blum, Wilson, Hornqvist. On the way is Taylor Beck and Austin Watson and they look pretty good. I don't know what you are talking about. Radulov worked out if you talk skill... Josi? Lindback? Can't blame Poile for Budish blowing his knees. We still have Legwand and Erat and Tootoo for older picks.


Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-25-2011 at 11:56 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:54 AM
  #23
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Depth brings out the best in everyone and as we saw this season...injuries can cripple a position at a moment's notice. Rinne and Lindback are here now, but who is behind them 2-3 even 5 years from now?
Who was behind Brodeur for the past decade? No one knows or cares.

We already have an injury replacement in Lindback. And he's about 23.

If a team loses it's top-2 goalies to significant injury, then the season is pretty much gone anyway, just like losing your best pitcher in baseball. It's a risk you take and there's no insuring against it.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:59 AM
  #24
sighthndlady
Registered User
 
sighthndlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Poile's hands were tied. There were hardly any defensemen worth looking at left, and it's an odd numbered year - so he took the best goaltender available as his first pick. The man is totally predictable when it comes to the first pick. The guys on NHLTV were pretty funny, though - they were like, "WTF?"

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
  #25
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
70% of the players on our team last season are Poile picks who worked out.

Only Weber and Rinne? Suter?

Geoffrion? He looks to be working out, Or does a Hobey Baker winner who almost saved our season in Buffalo with two late goals stink like cheese? Ellis, Blum, Wilson, Hornqvist. On the way is Taylor Beck and Austin Watson and they look pretty good. I don't know what you are talking about. Radulov worked out if you talk skill... Josi? Can't blame Poile for Budish blowing his knees.
Meh, I'm just pissed again about an under-inspiring draft from Mr. Poile. Don't know why I expected anything else. I just keep waiting Poile to not act like Poile, but I guess that has gotten us a lot of playoff births over the years, but not much past that....

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.