HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2011 3rd Round Pick, 90th Overall - F Alexander Grenier

Old
06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Kagee*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Q season ticket holder here:

It wasn't just the playoffs where he did well.

At the end of the regular season he started to look like a dominant player at that level. The Mooseheads gave up a decent price to acquire an overager as well...
Good to hear! thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
He's been compared to Eric Daze for what its worth.

I think this is a classic case of a late bloomer. I really like this pick by the Canucks.
Agreed, I hope he makes the quick jump to AHL next season.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
nuckfan insk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet View Post
My guess is he's now at Bishops...
why would grenier be at bishops if he is playing in the "Q"

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Completely off the wall pick by the Canucks but given the Tanev experience, could bear fruit. What he did - join the Q in mid-season and become PPG in the playoffs - is unusual to say the least.

Here's an article from January 20th on him in French about his "ascension" to the Q

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...depisteurs.php

Says he never played Midget AAA, and was cut in AA Midget and in AAA Junior (the equivalent of Junior A) so ended up in AA Junior (Junior B), then last year was in AAA Junior (A) with St Jerome.

Then started this past season in Junior A with the same St. Jerome team with 60pts in 33 games and was invited on a 3 game mid-season tryout in the Q.

Says Patrick Roy his coach was dumbfounded, saying where the heck did this guy come from??? Then Roy proceeds to explain that not having played Midget AAA would explain why he totally fell of the radar.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Completely off the wall pick by the Canucks but given the Tanev experience, could bear fruit. What he did - join the Q in mid-season and become PPG in the playoffs - is unusual to say the least.

Here's an article from January 20th on him in French about his "ascension" to the Q

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/...depisteurs.php

Says he never played Midget AAA, and was cut in AA Midget and in AAA Junior (the equivalent of Junior A) so ended up in AA Junior (Junior B), then last year was in AAA Junior (A) with St Jerome.

Then started this past season in Junior A with the same St. Jerome team with 60pts in 33 games and was invited on a 3 game mid-season tryout in the Q.

Says Patrick Roy his coach was dumbfounded, saying where the heck did this guy come from??? Then Roy proceeds to explain that not having played Midget AAA would explain why he totally fell of the radar.
Definitely interesting. According to the article he was in a car crash that hurt his performance in Junior AAA, which explains why he didn't play in Major Junior until the draft year. But he really impressed when he was able to show his talent and Roy sees a lot of potential in him.

This is a classic Gillis dark horse pick. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with some good tutelage.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
I've seen all of his games since he was signed as a FA by Quebec last December. His situation is very unique. This guy completely fell off the radar. He has very good hands and can dangle his way through defensemen even at 6'5. On the QMJHL website, it states that he is at 200 lbs, but that was 6 months ago. In Junior AAA they are rarely working in the gym and since he joined Quebec, he must have gained at least 15 lbs. His foot speed is pretty decent for a player this size. He needs to work on his defense and his consistency. He had good stats during the playoffs even though he got injured to the elbow in the 2nd game and played with his injury until the end.

I'm very happy for him. He should come back as an overager in the Q and he'll have to dominate. He'll have plenty of icetime. In Quebec, he was playing mostly on the 3rd line.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

The French Bertuzzi pre-Steve Moore.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
KingBrodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I'm very happy for him. He should come back as an overager in the Q and he'll have to dominate. He'll have plenty of icetime. In Quebec, he was playing mostly on the 3rd line.
That says something though, the points he put up as a 3rd liner. Full time 1st - 2nd liner(not sure where he'll be with the Mooseheads) he should be even more offensive. Especially after the confidence of some time, no matter how short at the Canucks camp.

KingBrodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:24 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I've seen all of his games since he was signed as a FA by Quebec last December. His situation is very unique. This guy completely fell off the radar. He has very good hands and can dangle his way through defensemen even at 6'5. On the QMJHL website, it states that he is at 200 lbs, but that was 6 months ago. In Junior AAA they are rarely working in the gym and since he joined Quebec, he must have gained at least 15 lbs. His foot speed is pretty decent for a player this size. He needs to work on his defense and his consistency.
His foot speed looks amazing for a guy that tall. And the hands look sick. One more year really wouldn't hurt, seeing as he hasn't even played a full season in the Q. He was recently traded to Halifax (where our 6'5" goon Hannay plays). That's good for me so i don't have to find new sources when i follow him. Just how bad is he defensively? A little tweaking or major overhaul required?

He didn't say much it seems on twitter... Maybe surprised he was selected so high.

Quote:
@greener05
Alexandre Grenier
Wowwww

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Tiranis

The team he was traded to (Halifax) expects him to put up 80+ points next year and play in all situations. There's an article with their GM or coach somewhere out there, unfortunately I don't remember how I found it (took me a while).

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:58 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Before December, he was playing in a league where they practice once or twice a week and never really hit the gym. He just never learn the game played at the 'elite' level. He has to learn you have to put a 60 minutes effort at that level. Sometimes he looked a bit lazy. Maybe he got a bit tired as he had never experienced that kind of schedule. He comes from nowhere and that's why we don't know how far he can go.

Some nice goals:

Nice play to beat the goalie 1:00

Nice deke at the blue line and a good wrist shot at 1:20
He scored two other goals in that game and all three were different, wrisshot, snapshot and a tip.

Nice deke in front of the goalie at 1:45
Second goal of the game on a similar play at 2:50

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/spor...the-final-step

Another article, this time in English, on Grenier.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The team he was traded to (Halifax) expects him to put up 80+ points next year and play in all situations. There's an article with their GM or coach somewhere out there, unfortunately I don't remember how I found it (took me a while).
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/blog/103089
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/keyw...fax_Mooseheads
http://halifaxmooseheads.ca

These are the best sources of news for the Halifax Mooseheads on the internet in respect to their depth and timeliness of articles.

A word to the wise though: don't ever believe a single word of conjecture, predictions, spin etc. that comes from the Halifax Mooseheads franchise, especially their owner Bobby Smith or GM Cam Russell. Metro News is no better; their columnist amounts to the minister of propaganda for one of the worst ownership groups and poorly run teams in a major market in the CHL.

Last edited by Jay Cee: 06-25-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Jay Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Interesting pick. I like that we drafted a few big skilled wingers. Even if they don"t become top 6ers, they could still be productive.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Wetcoaster

He sounds like a solid project player. Put him on the program - teach him about nutrition, strength and conditioning, put on some weight and let him work with skills coach Glenn Carnegie.

Depending upon what he shows at camp, he may be better off in the AHL learning the pro game. If not another year in the Q might be the thing.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:37 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Depending upon what he shows at camp, he may be better off in the AHL learning the pro game. If not another year in the Q might be the thing.
halifax would be pissed, they just traded a pick to get him from the remparts but if he can play in the ahl next year giddyup.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Last overage Q rookie to be drafted after a year in Junior "AAA" (A)?

David Perron - 9months younger and played a full season in the Q (vs 31 gp for Grenier), plus his stat line was stellar (and was drafted 26th overall vs 90).

Old
06-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Lucky Luke

I saw him several times last season, particularly in the Q playoffs.
He is pretty darn good.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:41 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I hate him because this means he's going to run rampant against Rouyn-Noranda and Rimouski, my two favorite Q teams.

What stands out from when I was able to catch some games via streams is that his hands are not the sort of hands you expect from a 6'5 guy. From limited showings, he was a very good stickhandler. The Q is not that big of a defensive league and you can get away with some of the fancy stuff, but he skates extremely well for his size. He doesn't always use his big frame to his advantage but he's pretty much an offensive late-bloomer. Reminds me a lot of Guillaume Latendresse.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Wetcoaster

Assistant GM Laurence Gilman: “Tremendous size and athletic ability. He hasn't had a great deal of coaching, but he's a player we can work with. A raw talent.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/G...#ixzz1QPfFl97c

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Grenier has been traded to Halifax for the rights to a fourth round QMJHL draft pick and their CHL import draft pick. I believe he counts as an overager this year.

Most likely, Grenier plays with Nova Scotia-born wunderkind Nathan MacKinnon and 2012 draft eligible Martin Frk.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Grenier has been traded to Halifax for the rights to a fourth round QMJHL draft pick and their CHL import draft pick. I believe he counts as an overager this year.

Most likely, Grenier plays with Nova Scotia-born wunderkind Nathan MacKinnon and 2012 draft eligible Martin Frk.
He's going to put up some stats then.

Watching him and Jensen next year is going to be very pleasurable.

Some quotes:
Quote:
The Mooseheads, who gave up the 11th overall pick in the Canadian Hockey League import draft and a fourth-rounder in Saturday’s entry draft, believe Grenier could produce more than 80 points next season.
Quote:
Russell said other teams were after Grenier this week. He also said there are six or eight NHL teams strongly considering selecting Grenier in June’s draft and described him a classic late-bloomer.
http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/blog/post/880949

Last edited by Tarot Sport*: 07-12-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Metronews Halifax has some pretty good coverage of the Mooseheads - will make it a lot more convenient to follow his progress next year. Hopefully he gets to play with both Frk and MacKinnon. He'd put up some numbers for sure.

vanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Illmatic Stoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woolf View Post
He's going to put up some stats then.

Watching him and Jensen next year is going to be very pleasurable.

Some quotes:

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/blog/post/880949
Wow very good to hear. He has some sick hands for someone his size and is pretty mobile too.

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
LeftCoast

I cringe every time I hear a Canucks prospect described as a project or "raw" - I just can't help thinking of Rahimi or White.

However, unlike these 2, Grenier appears (from the highlight video) to be able to skate pretty well and in close he displays some very good hands.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Bleach Clean

I am less disappointed with this pick the further we get away from the draft. Unlike Blomstrand, he has good offensive upside. But with any of these project picks, it's a wait and see. Definitely a risk, and a reach considering what else was still available. So it will tell us something about the scouting staff either way.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote