HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov to Ottawa for a 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

This seems like a worthless trade. Perhaps Filatov never will pan out in the league, but doesn't some random third rounder have an equal or greater chance to not make it as well? Not to mention this new prospect is comparatively a few years behind in development as well...

I agree with the sentiment that if you're going to trade, at least get someone back that can help us now. Maybe that wasn't possible, but we're looking at going into Free Agency trying to nab two top defenders when we're probably going to have problems getting just one.
I think it was time to punt. It's best for both the Jackets and Filatov. Given what has ensued the past 3 seasons, does anybody really think Filatov would suddenly have a nice, normal 2011-12? It sucks that we had to do it from a 4th and 23 but it had to be done.

06-25-2011, 12:29 PM
yogibear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Payback for Vermette? Are you crazy? Filatov hasn't even put on your jersey yet and hes already made up for that trade? smh
I miss Vermette. Maybe we can trade Filatov for Vermette now?

Old
JacketsFanWest

What is it with trading big name players for Notre Dame prospects? First Theo Ruth for Fedorov now draft TJ "Rudy" Tynan for Filatov.

I wish Filatov the best. He could use a change of scenery. Last year, it seemed like everything just went wrong for him. I really hoped he could turn things around.

Filatov could have had more value to the organization this season than Tynan will. But Tynan seems like a good pick and a kid we're all going to get behind. He's got some good role models with Calvert and Atkinson.

Old
jacketsgeek
What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

This seems like a worthless trade. Perhaps Filatov never will pan out in the league, but doesn't some random third rounder have an equal or greater chance to not make it as well? Not to mention this new prospect is comparatively a few years behind in development as well...

I agree with the sentiment that if you're going to trade, at least get someone back that can help us now. Maybe that wasn't possible, but we're looking at going into Free Agency trying to nab two top defenders when we're probably going to have problems getting just one.
In business it's called 'sunk cost'...I can piss and whine and moan about how much time, effort and money I have put into something but, at some point - you cut bait! It was Nikki's time...

Old
06-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I am officially starting the TJ Tynan bandwagon. I'm falling in love with this kid the more I read about him.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-25-2011, 12:32 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Meh. Had hoped for a better return -- a 2nd, maybe?

But pretty clear his time here was up some time ago.

I actually don't wish him well in Ottawa. I hope he sucks and/or goes to the KHL.

This isn't like Jake.
Filatov was a waste here and I hope he continues to be a waste elsewhere.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I am officially starting the TJ Tynan bandwagon. I'm falling in love with this kid the more I read about him.
Welcome aboard!

Old
06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyJacketsFan View Post
Sad situation with Filatov. Even if he goes to Ottawa and sets the world on fire, I'll still be of the opinion that he couldn't have done it here. Too much history and baggage, and if RJ's tweet is any indicator, too much venom from teammates.

We got what we could get.
Sens fan here, I have no idea what happened to Filatov, but I think you've got it right. IF and it's a big if, he plays better in Ottawa, it's pretty safe to say that it was a change that was needed and he would likely not get any better in Columbus. I have no idea how the relationship got off the rails, could very well be Filatov's fault. But maybe the change of scenery or the trade itself is the wake up call he needed. It's not unusual for a guy to switch teams and get it going, and sometimes it's that change that facilitates it. For the sens sake I hope so, and for you guys it was probably just time to move on, unfortunately.

Last edited by Jackie Treehorn: 06-25-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
JacketsFanWest

TJ Tynan plays bigger than Filatov.

(sorry, nikita)

Old
06-25-2011, 01:00 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsgeek View Post
In business it's called 'sunk cost'...I can piss and whine and moan about how much time, effort and money I have put into something but, at some point - you cut bait! It was Nikki's time...
Which I can accept. But what are the odds that in two years our new draft pick will be doing anything for us? What are the odds this franchise is still here if we continue to lose? We traded Filatov for a 3rd round pick, I would've preferred something more/higher but that probably wasn't happening. 3rd round picks are the magic grease for all the gears of trades [at least here at hfboards], so I would've liked to see us use that pick as a trade asset rather than draft another undersized player who is further behind in development than Niki was.

I have no misgivings that Filatov was going to light up the league this next year, but his trade value wasn't going to get much lower. Additionally we haven't made much out of our 3rd round picks either [though you could argue that about most rounds...].

Old
06-25-2011, 01:05 PM
JDCox17

Any notable financial benefit to trading Filatov away? I don't have a firm enough grasp on NHL contracts to be clear on that, even after looking at capgeek.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Meh. Had hoped for a better return -- a 2nd, maybe?

But pretty clear his time here was up some time ago.

I actually don't wish him well in Ottawa. I hope he sucks and/or goes to the KHL.

This isn't like Jake.
Filatov was a waste here and I hope he continues to be a waste elsewhere.
All of this. I don't typically resent plyers traded away and mostly wish them well, but Little Niki's not really done anything to engender good will. I've given him slack as being a kid and needing to adjust and get his act together, but as a player I had pretty much decided he wasn't going to get it done. I'm also comfortable with the notion that, should nhe somehow put it together and become a good player, it's not reflective of how he would have played with the CBJ.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:10 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

If he isn't going to play for the existing coaching staff.

trade the player. With that said I'm pissed, I was there for his hatty, when confident the kid oozed skill. I've always liked Ottawa, now I will like them a little bit more I guess.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:12 PM
EDM

I am sure Howson would have "preferred" to get something more for Filatov. But apparently the rest of the league was not willing to do that. So regardless of preferences, the fact is Filatov's worth around the NHL was down to a third round pick. Should we have held onto him for another year of sulking in Springfield so that his worth was down to a 6th round pick?

He was given a chance at the beginning of last year. All he did was float around the perimeter. He would not go near the puck where there would be physical contact. He did not get any better in Springfield. So he is gone.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
You are one of those people who wish we had Zherdev, aren't you?

I love Jake, but shake it up. Let's get something going. I'm enjoying all of the activity. Hope howson keeps that ball rolling and blows up the defense next.
Nah, I was thrilled about that one because I loved what I saw from Tyutin in Rangers...It will take some time for me to recover from the Jake trade, but after the Umberger tweet, this one suddenly looks much better to me. No point to have a cancer in the locker room. Just hope that cancer was Filatov and not Umby .

Old
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
More proof that Umberger is a bad teammate.
Fail. More proof that Umberger is the spokesman of the Blue Jackets. Along with being the unofficial captain and team MVP.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Who???

Old
06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

They're so stoked on the OTT board!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Old
06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
Nah, I was thrilled about that one because I loved what I saw from Tyutin in Rangers...It will take some time for me to recover from the Jake trade, but after the Umberger tweet, this one suddenly looks much better to me. No point to have a cancer in the locker room. Just hope that cancer was Filatov and not Umby .
Filatov epsecially played in Falcons so what about cancer do you say?

The second tweet:

Quote:
Umby18 RJ Umberger
Great opportunity for filatov to start over.. wish him best of luck, good kid. Good move for us to improve prospects
I do not understand the second part, when Filatov was here we could not improve our prospects?

Old
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Absolutely f***ing ridiculous. First, I still believe he's going to score goals in the NHL some day. I know some of you (mainly the people who are still ******** about the going back to Russia situation) are convinced he's already a bust, but he's not. He's too young to say that yet. Second, he was a top-10 pick who just got swapped for a third rounder. If we couldn't get anything better and he was going to be a problem in Springfield, we should have just kept him there out of spite and to teach him a lesson about who calls the shots when you are a pro hockey player. Trading him for a third is basically worthless.

Add him to the long and growing list of first round F-ups for this organization. Astounding. And pathetic.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Who???
CCHA Rookie of the Year, a Team USA player in the Ivan Hlinka tournament, and Notre Dame's MVP last year. Also, the guy we drafted with the pick we got for Filatov.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
CCHA Rookie of the Year, a Team USA player in the Ivan Hlinka tournament, and Notre Dame's MVP last year. Also, the guy we drafted with the pick we got for Filatov.

Just found out he's 5 foot 8, 156 pounds. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

Dude is smaller than Nikita.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 PM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Filatov epsecially played in Falcons so what about cancer do you say?
Well he did spend some time with the Blue Jackets and if one of his teammates writes:
Quote:
Great work by Scott Howson to get a 3rd round pick for Filatov.. #teamsgettingbetter
...it's quite obvious he was not popular there. And the fact that Umberger deleted this and posted another (much more milder) tweet just proves it even more.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
Absolutely f***ing ridiculous. First, I still believe he's going to score goals in the NHL some day. I know some of you (mainly the people who are still ******** about the going back to Russia situation) are convinced he's already a bust, but he's not. He's too young to say that yet. Second, he was a top-10 pick who just got swapped for a third rounder. If we couldn't get anything better and he was going to be a problem in Springfield, we should have just kept him there out of spite and to teach him a lesson about who calls the shots when you are a pro hockey player. Trading him for a third is basically worthless.
You "(keep) him there out of spite and to teach him a lesson", he bolts back to Russia and the CBJ get nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
Add him to the long and growing list of first round F-ups for this organization. Astounding. And pathetic.
Sadly, I can't argue with your there. We've sucked, in large part, because we suck at scouting and drafting.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
AntonRodin*

Darn, looks like Howson thinks a 3rd round pick is better than Bieksa.

Closed Thread