HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
if Campbell and 5 years left gets moved

TRUST ME GOMEZ IS MOVEABLE ....he only has 3 years left and his dollars left isnt bad

you have to take back a contract but the dude can still skate and create and is a capable 60 point player

once again owners STOP BEING A KNOB when you sign a top 6 forward

they dont deserve franchise money
It's looking like a possibility.

With Plekanec, DD, Eller, White, Gomez and his massive contract are expendable.

I'm not saying DD/Eller will be as good as Gomez, maybe Gomez does have a come back season. But with the cap room we save we could make our D or offense that much more deep. Plus then these guys can develop like the natural centers they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I've been speculating the same for months.

Gorges, from my own mouth is: "Our most replacable trading chip".

His value is still riding sky high from his playoffs last year and he is maybe even a touch over rated in the hockey world right now. For me he's a solid #4 on a good team and an excellent #5 on a contending team.

I'm sure there is many team interested in him. I'm in the same boat as you though, it's not like I WANT him traded (I don't), but I could see why trading him in some scenerio's could make sense.
It's quite possible they know they have Weber, see Emelin/Diaz down the road. They feel Gorges is one of the most tradeable assets we have and if it meant the Gomez contract being offloaded... I honestly didn't think the habs wanted to trade Gomez but after seeing Campbell who knows what PG is thinking.

We could really use that cap. Plus Wiz rights not traded yet. Maybe he does plan to take Wiz.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
I don't believe the Gomez trade rumors one bit. We don't have anyone to replace him as a second line center (neither Desharnais or Eller is ready, and Eller is hurt), and we certainly won't get a good replacement in return for him. I'm convinced we're keeping him around for at least one more year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounced back and had a good year next year. Gomez, Gionta and Pacioretty were pretty good together last year.
if Gomez replicates his 2010-11 season his replacement wouldn't have to be s superstar to match it, although having his salary off the books might make it possible to get a more effective center.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
if Campbell and 5 years left gets moved

TRUST ME GOMEZ IS MOVEABLE ....he only has 3 years left and his dollars left isnt bad

you have to take back a contract but the dude can still skate and create and is a capable 60 point player
Everyone is moveable. The question is, are you willing to pay the price.

Campbell 5's years aren't scary because he's actually a top 4 dman. Gomez is very borderline on being a #2 centre.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
if Gomez replicates his 2010-11 season his replacement wouldn't have to be s superstar to match it, although having his salary off the books might make it possible to get a more effective center.
I expect him to bounce back to 07-09 level...55-65 points.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Everyone is moveable. The question is, are you willing to pay the price.

Campbell 5's years aren't scary because he's actually a top 4 dman. Gomez is very borderline on being a #2 centre.
He's be a slam dunk top 6 player for all but 1 season of his career...pretty safe to assume he will bounce back to his previous level.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's be a slam dunk top 6 player for all but 1 season of his career...pretty safe to assume he will bounce back to his previous level.
I agree with you but if I don't have Gomez on my roster, its not a gamble, I'm willing to take. Don Maloney has done a pretty good job in Phoenix with the peanuts that he's had to work with.

I can't see Maloney giving up assets to acquire him and I don't see any bad contracts that he'd swap Gomez for.

I like what Gomez brings to the Habs, I just don't see another team wanting him.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
I agree with you but if I don't have Gomez on my roster, its not a gamble, I'm willing to take. Don Maloney has done a pretty good job in Phoenix with the peanuts that he's had to work with.

I can't see Maloney giving up assets to acquire him and I don't see any bad contracts that he'd swap Gomez for.

I like what Gomez brings to the Habs, I just don't see another team wanting him.
Phoenix doesn't seem to have a problem contract, where we could say, you take mine, and I'll take yours...

Old
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:

Florida gave up Olesz for Campbell. Phoenix would hardly have to give up more than a mid round pick for Gomez...

Old
06-25-2011, 01:25 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Phoenix doesn't seem to have a problem contract, where we could say, you take mine, and I'll take yours...
I know and if they did, I'm not sure it would be worth it from our perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Florida gave up Olesz for Campbell. Phoenix would hardly have to give up more than a mid round pick for Gomez...
If I was Phoenix's GM, I wouldn't give up a 9th round pick for solving your cap problems. Chicago is able to buy out Olesz for a $0.67m cap hit. It was basically a salary dump on Chicago's part. Florida got a legit top 4 dman.

The situations aren't comparable imo. Chicago took on a bad contract for a serviceable player on an overpriced contract. Phoenix doesn't have any bad contracts to give us in exchange for Gomez.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:27 PM
macavoy

hogtownhabsfan,

You need to think about it from the other team's perspective. Suppose you are Don Maloney and you know Montreal would like to clear cap space. Do you really offer a draft pick to solve Montreal's cap problems?

Old
06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think we'd have to give up somebodies rights in order to appease them though. Gomez + Rights for low pick.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
znk

Quote:
hogtownhabsfan,

You need to think about it from the other team's perspective. Suppose you are Don Maloney and you know Montreal would like to clear cap space. Do you really offer a draft pick to solve Montreal's cap problems?
Montreal sent a roster player, a top prospect and an other prospect for Gomez.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
hogtownhabsfan,

Well that's exactly what Bob Gainey did when Sather needed cap room to land Gaborik. Except he felt the need to add a past 20-30 goals scorer and a player picked in the first round instead of just throwing a draft pick at Sather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Damn beaten to the punch

Old
06-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
hogtownhabsfan,

It's not about solving Montreal's problems, it's about adding a legit top 2 center and getting to the cap floor.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Protest the Hero

I'm going to assume it's not happening. It's better for my health that way.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
mabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
I don't believe the Gomez trade rumors one bit. We don't have anyone to replace him as a second line center
You're kind of missing the point...... a 7 mill 2nd line center? If we can get anyone to take his salary, we should be grateful for the favor. I like Gomez, but he is a 2nd liner at this point in his carrear, with ovechkins' salary.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Gally11

These threads need to stop until the day it happens, it just gets meexcited for nothing.. Be weird for them to be shopping three players when Gauthier mentioned stability

Old
06-25-2011, 01:38 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Except that Gainey sent a roster player & prospect for a 29 year old 58 point player.

Gomez is now a 38 point 31 year old player. There is a big diffence between the two. The fact that you don't realize that is lol.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

of all the teams not likely to take Gomez, Phoenix would be the most unlikely.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Well that's exactly what Bob Gainey did when Sather needed cap room to land Gaborik. Except he felt the need to add a past 20-30 goals scorer and a player picked in the first round instead of just throwing a draft pick at Sather.

Damn beaten to the punch
who's best season since is -> 13 goals...

Old
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

wasn't there talk last year of a gomez/jovanovski trade that was supposed to happen, but jov got injured and the move couldn't go down because you can't move a guy on LTIR or something like that? if that was true, then i see this time around as being quite plausable.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
of all the teams not likely to take Gomez, Phoenix would be the most unlikely.
I honestly don't understand what you are saying here, too many negatives in one sentence for this chap and I'm not even in the sauce yet.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:03 PM
compile

vCash: 611
I remember a baseball trade a few yers back that involved 1 player for bats and balls literally.
Our rookies that are making under 1m are better suited for the 2c position then a 10+ vet.

Dump him for anything you can get. I'm fine with including Weber in that deal

Old
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
who's best season since is -> 13 goals...
I think you're missing the point.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I expect him to bounce back to 07-09 level...55-65 points.
What fairy tale book are you reading?

Closed Thread