HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Habs draft

View Poll Results: Rank the Habs draft
A 14 7.29%
B 98 51.04%
C 63 32.81%
D 14 7.29%
E 3 1.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
12jf54

vCash: 500
Rank the Habs draft

What did you think ?

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:56 PM
onice

It's what five minute the draft has been over. Why don't we wait let's say two years before we start to give out marks.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Solid C (maybe a C+ if I had the option). A little bit of maneuvering, and a couple of interesting picks, but overall I'm left feeling "meh" because of some of the options I feel they left on the table when they started the RHD train down the track, and moving out of the 3rd round instead of toward it keeps me from assessing anything as positive as a B. Oh, and drafting a 21 year old seems odd, no matter how good he is.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 06-25-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12jf54 View Post
What did you think ?
This draft will be looked at as lost opportunity. Beaulieu's upside is a slightly better version of Hainsey, and the rest of the guys likely won't sniff the NHL. Hopefully Beaulieu proves to be a home run, but teams avoided him like the plague and drafted lower ranked dmen over him, something that should set off alarm bells. Can't help but think this will be a repeat of the Jason Ward fiasco.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

F...for funny. So many d-men that I'm about to burst with laughter.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:59 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Last time Timmins took this many dmen it worked out quite well for us.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

For what we had available to us in the way of picks, I guess B.

Beaulieu falling to us has a big part in that rating, otherwise I'd say C.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Habs

Another lackluster draft, the team should have made a trade or two. I'm certain it never even crossed their mind to try and trade up, or make a deal. I bet PG had no idea DS was even available from San Jose, he's clueless.

Timmins and PG are so safe and predictable, another reason why this team will reside in mediocrity the next few years if this collection hangs around.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
neofury*

If it weren't for Beaulieu I would probably say C-

Since we got Beaulieu who dropped to 17.... B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
For what we had available to us in the way of picks, I guess B.

Beaulieu falling to us has a big part in that rating, otherwise I'd say C.
Didn't even see this post.

But yeah getting someone who fell so far, I'm happy with the pick.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

After the beating our small guys took last year they made no effort to add grit or strength. D- and it isnt an F only because Beaulieu might make the nhl.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!! It will get emotional around here and all so, keep that thread idea in mind, and comeback in 4 years.

For the fun of it, 'cause it is in good fun....I'd say B.

Beaulieu is an awesome pick and I'm absolutely thrilled. I'd wish we'd have more tougher forwards, but strangely I'm more thrilled about Round 6 and 7 than the 4th. There are some boom or bust picks and the great thing is that they actually were picked when you can do such picks. Didier, have seen him once and thought we'd be interested in hm. He's actually the guy that has the best potential to be a player for us. Liked Archambault a lot ALL YEAR LONG, just thought that in the end, there were other players. Don't know the 21 yo d-man and there were also other players I wanted. Dietz is fine, reliable, steady...not sure about the ceiling but we will see. Pribyl and Sullivan, well that's interesting, mostly because of where they were picked. So all and all a fine draft. Could have been better, could have been worst.

Unsexy in the middle, sexier as we went along. But possibly rewarding down the stretch.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Protest the Hero

I rate it A+ just for the meltdowns from people who have never seen these kids play a single game.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I don't mind the draft as a whole...I think Beaulieu has some tools to be special...and a few of those d-men have nice upside. My only knock is not gettintg a couple of abrasive forwards(Kessy?) and maybe another?

B

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Not going to do that, because I really find that a silly exercise, minutes after the draft ends.

But I really love the Beaulieu, Pribyl and Sullivan picks. All guys who were on my radar and who I didn't think would be around for the Habs' picks.

On the downside, I didn't like that we (again) didn't have any picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Lots of really attractive names that we missed out on.

We picked up three 4th rounders and proceeded to take three guys who absolutely weren't on my radar at all, so I'm going to have to trust Timmins on that one.

As always, I found myself wishing we had more picks, even in the 7th when you still had guys like Larraza (until PHX got him), McKee (ND), Marchenko (until DET got him), etc still up there.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't mind the draft as a whole...I think Beaulieu has some tools to be special...and a few of those d-men have nice upside. My only knock is not gettintg a couple of abrasive forwards(Kessy?) and maybe another?

B
The word you're looking for is "hostile".

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Immediate reaction is B-/C+. Beaulieu is a nice piece and they have a lot of boom or bust guys. Happy they've started looking to Europe in later rounds, most sleepers seem to come from there. Still would have liked more size up front (though Pribyl looks interesting. I'd like him to make it just to see how the play-by-play guys pronounce his name)

Still, its impossible to know how we did until a few years pass.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
B

Beaulieu at 17, what a friggin' steal.
Josiah Didier at 97, very nice. I hoped the Habs would pick him in the 4th too.
Archambault at 108, I'm undecided at this point. Nice hands though.
Nygren at 113, I'm alright with this. Could turn out and be a good prospect.
Dietz at 138, I like this pick up. Very solid.
Pribyl at 168, love it. Not just for size, but for the type of player he is. Future top 9.
Sullivan at 198, very nice pick. Not happy about him going to Yale though.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
DJ Breadman

The Beaulieu pick was awesome A+, after that the picks were just plain goofy, it's like Timmins thinks he is smarter then everyone else and picks guys no one's heard of. The thing is he isn't smarter then everyone else

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
The Beaulieu pick was awesome A+, after that the picks were just plain goofy, it's like Timmins thinks he is smarter then everyone else and picks guys no one's heard of. The thing is he isn't smarter then everyone else
So your suggested strategy would be to just walk into the draft with the final rankings from CSS or TSN and go in order, basically?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Except for Beaulieu, very few players have a future that looks great.

Looks mostly like a bunch of best-case-scenario role players. I'd give a C+ for having an average-looking draft.

Nothing to bolster our depth in nets or size up-front (except for a long-shot late-round pick, and he's more of a finesse big than a mucky grinder or skilled bruiser). Added to a relatively solid organizational position (defense).

Could've went a lot better, but it's not like any pick is worth a head shake.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
If Nathan pans out and he's the only pick that pans out, I give it an A+. All the rest are like lottery tickets anyways. Grading them is retarded.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
PricePkPatch

If we keep Subban, Markov and Wiz, we could start to think we'd cornered the market when it comes to Offensive D-men

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Beaulieu, Probyl, and Dietz all very good picks for these 3 A-

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Darth Joker

B- for me.

I think we did the most with the draft picks that we had. We made a great 1st round selection, and our mid-round selections are interesting ones at least.

Slightly disappointed we didn't do anything on the trade front, but I think that the real test there will obviously be free agency period.

Gauthier has no excuses, none, for not adding at least one key helpful player to our team via free agency. Even with Gomez and Spacek, we still have enough cap space to add a guy like Laich or Cole.

So if Gauthier makes a good UFA addition or two then his lack of trade activity at the draft becomes inconsequential, imo.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Miller Time

don't know nearly enough about the prospects to make any kind of educated comment on the players we drafted outside of Beaulieu...

that said, despite my faith in Timmins, and his track record of success with later picks, there are a few question marks for me.

- hard to like the only move considering that we traded out of the 3rd round to get our 4th rounder back, along with another 4th. Was Sopel really that much of a need with Weber/Picard already there? did he really give us more than they could have? my feeling is no, making it another disappointing asset transaction

- it appears (though it may not be the case), that we drafted with organizational need valued above BPA... perhaps that is not the case, perhaps in each round we got the highest player on our scouting list and it just so happened to be heavily dmen... but the fact that our defensive prospect group is thin at least begs the question.
personally i prefer the BPA approach taking precedence. never know what kind of trade/roster move is around the corner which may completely change the strengths/holes in the depth charts, better players you have the more flexibility you have in making moves to address immediate needs (i.e, the draft should be about adding talent to the organization, not filling holes which is what free agency/trades should prioritize).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote