HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 5: Pick #134 (Shane McColgan, RW)

Old
06-25-2011, 02:39 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Either way, in the 5th round of a weaker draft, a guy like that is a fantastic pick.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Either way, in the 5th round of a weaker draft, a guy like that is a fantastic pick.
Yup, I like taking risks on these type of players later in the draft. After grabbing two big, physical centers with skill with the 1st two picks, you take these high-skilled smaller players with boom potential. I'm very pleased with the first four picks.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In the draft thread, I listed him as four players after the first round I wanted drafted, so I am very, very happy.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Absurdly stoked on this pick. From all accounts I've read/seen, could be the potential steal of the draft. Most of all, I'm most impressed that the Rangers are drafting with a set identity in mind. This excites me to no end.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Great pick for you guys. I am a Kelowna Rocket season ticket holder since they arrived here so I have watched him, and the rest of past Rockets, a great deal. His rookie year he was awesome and looked like a sure fire top 10 pick. IMO he is the most skilled forward that Kelowna has ever produced. The knock on him in his first year was his defensive awareness but he improved on that a great deal over this past season. People were comparing him and RNH coming into this year, and while I am obviously biased, I dont think he is 125~picks worse. In fact I wouldnt be too surprised to see them put up similar type numbers eventually. His size is an issue but with the league trending towards smaller players getting a chance he should be fine.

He is tough as nails, has great vision and hockey sense though he can get a bit yappy. Like was said before I believe the reason he dropped so far was his illness early in the season. He missed training camp and the first bit of the regular season, dropped weight due to it and did not really get going until after x-mas. He then exploded in the playoffs scoring at 2pt/g. I am really excited to see what he does this season with Kelowna after a full off season of training. Great pick.

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
If you type his name in youtube it's all fights lol I was surprised

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Kept away from posting for the draft, really didn't have enough knowledge to make any posts. But I have been reading about what you guys have to say about who we drafted, and i like what I am seeing. Esp this pick. Seems we are drafting to fit the mold of what our team brings, and am really excited to see how this pans out down the line. Good job all.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

We got the next Ryan Callahan. Ecstatic with this pick. Very happy with how the later rounds went overall

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I would love if he turned into a St. Louis clone. Small, good skater, total balls-to-the-wall playstyle.
Really? I would hate that.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
We got the next Ryan Callahan. Ecstatic with this pick. Very happy with how the later rounds went overall
His upside is significantly higher than Callahan. This kid has a higher upside than anyone we drafted in a mid-round since Savard was taken in the 4th rounder.

People also whined about Savvy's defense and size. This kid is not as talented but his wheels are much better than Savard's.

Love the high reward small kids drafted, both St. Croix and McColgan.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Ola

For some reason I like low round picks who have baby faces as opposed to someone like this kid who looks like he is 27 y/o when he is 17 y/o. This kid aint a late bloomer thats for sure...

Anyway, the kid looks very talented in that vid.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
His upside is significantly higher than Callahan. This kid has a higher upside than anyone we drafted in a mid-round since Savard was taken in the 4th rounder.

People also whined about Savvy's defense and size. This kid is not as talented but his wheels are much better than Savard's.

Love the high reward small kids drafted, both St. Croix and McColgan.
Unlike Savard too, this kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Though he doesn't seem to be as talented as Savard was.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Wow I cannot believe he fell to he 5th round. Excellent pick by you guys.

McColgan has 1st round skill, but fell hard due to a number of reasons. After the playoffs he had I thought he was going early-3rd round at worst. This is a kid that has a very high skill level, doesn't mind the physical play and steps up his game in the postseason. Everything about him screams top 2 rounds. Why he fell all the way to the 5th I will never know.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:20 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I really can't believe McColgan fell to the 5th round, shocked even. I thought he'd go late in the 3rd, can't believe he didn't get taken in the 4th, and then made it to #134?Gordie got some incredible value here.

Definition of a boom or bust pick, and man is there some boom available here.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
ecemleafs

very very happy getting mccolgan here.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:43 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Here's my report on him. You got a great player.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...-part-two.html

Quote:
#10 Shane McColgan – FW – Kelowna Rockets

- McColgan is a very skilled forward who relies on the ability to think his way around the rink. He’s a very solid player positionally and is very dynamic with the puck. He’s a little inconsistent when it comes to hustling defensively, but battles hard in the corners more often than not. A bit undisciplined, but overall a very solid goal scoring forward with tons of heart. He will suffer from the typical ‘small forward’ stigma come draft day. He’s not tiny, but he’s below average size-wise, despite his massive skill level. One way to do that is his skating, he’s a very good skater and uses his edges well when getting down low and trying to beat defenders. He also really brought his game up to the next level in the WHL playoffs showing his ability to take over games and lead by example.

NHL comparable: Brian Gionta

Top end potential: Top 6 winger

Pick prediction: Late 3rd round

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I'm really liking the sounds of Fogarty, McColgan, and Miller. All 3 of these guys i am starting to love. Fogarty and McColgan are proving, in my eyes at least, to be steals
How are they proving to be steals on the very day of the draft? Wouldn't we have to see how they develop for a couple of years before we can say that?

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
How are they proving to be steals on the very day of the draft? Wouldn't we have to see how they develop for a couple of years before we can say that?
Wouldn't we have to stop being literal to see the actual meaning in my post? Looking at their reports, stats, videos, and everyone else's reactions to these 2 players, they seem to be steals. McColgan for example, was supposed to be a top 10 last year, and we snagged him at 134.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 10431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
LOL

I drafted him in NHL 11'
LOL I did the same thing.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
Absurdly stoked on this pick. From all accounts I've read/seen, could be the potential steal of the draft. Most of all, I'm most impressed that the Rangers are drafting with a set identity in mind. This excites me to no end.
but according to Pierre McGuire, Adam Larsson is the steal of the draft.

p.s. stupid lottery pick.

p.p.s. it looks like he had a draft blog. sorry if someone posted already.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=540908

p.p.p.s. wow! this kid got 69 points in 71 games in the WHL as a 16 year old kid! 3 points in 4 games as a 15 year old. I didn't know 15 year olds even played in the CHL. Outside of Taylor Hall. Not even Crosby played in the Q at age 15. even if it was only 4 games what's the story with this kid dropping so far down as the #134 pick?
edit: looks like Nugent-Hopkins played 6 games as a 15 y.o. although last I checked, he was picked 133 spots ahead of this kid.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...009962010.html

edit 2: apparently he placed 2nd in the rookie of the year voting after... Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Still not sure how he dropped but stoked!

Last edited by n8: 06-26-2011 at 03:51 AM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:47 AM
coolbean04

I love this kid so much!!!!!!!!!!

His feistiness reminds me a lot like Fleury and Verbeek!

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:20 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
This guy put up almost 2 ppgs in the playoffs. This could definitely be a steal...
His playoff stat line is almost identical to Christian Thomas'.

Thomas had 9g 10a +8 in 10 games
McColgan had 8g 11a +5 in 10 games

Comparison of draft year:

Thomas: 41g 25a 66 pts -10 in 64 games
McColgan 21g 45a 66 pts +3 in 67 games

They are even of similar size. Biggest differences seem to be that Thomas is more of a goal scorer and, obviously, McColgan is a year younger.

McColgan didn't show a lot of improvement from the prior year, while Thomas improved greatly in his draft year, but they both ended up in the same place statistically.

If McColgan can have a Thomas-like year next year, he could very well be a steal.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Levitate

I imagine he dropped because he didn't improve on his previous year...but if a lot of that was because of illness to start the season, then hey, good deal.

I think it's always just a little scary when a player doens't improve from the previous year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:05 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GBISH x View Post
LOL I did the same thing.
I also drafted St. Croix LOL

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
p.p.p.s. wow! this kid got 69 points in 71 games in the WHL as a 16 year old kid! 3 points in 4 games as a 15 year old. I didn't know 15 year olds even played in the CHL. Outside of Taylor Hall. Not even Crosby played in the Q at age 15. even if it was only 4 games what's the story with this kid dropping so far down as the #134 pick?
edit: looks like Nugent-Hopkins played 6 games as a 15 y.o. although last I checked, he was picked 133 spots ahead of this kid.
In the CHL, the players are drafted out of bantam hockey after their 14-year-old season. They then play a year of midget hockey as 15-year-olds as the property of WHL teams. They can play up to five games on a call-up basis (usually around Christmas when teams lose players to world under-17 or world junior tournaments) and then can finish the season in the WHL AFTER their midget team is eliminated from the playoffs.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote