HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Dominik Uher | Center | Spokane (WHL) | Fifth Round, 144th overall

Old
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Jeff Goldblum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchfamily View Post
Would rather of taken another defensemen. Awlful pick. Shero really pissed the pot this draft.
Quote:
They said this was a weak draft and Shero sure made that clear.
How familiar are you with Dominik Uher? How deep is your knowledge of this draft?

I know the answer to both of those questions.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Stecz

Uher had 6 fights in junior this year. Pretty impressive for a Czech born player until you see he fights like Craig Adams.

Stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
farscape1

interesting to see how he plays from here on out.

Last edited by farscape1: 06-27-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: lifes to short to care what other say on a message board.
farscape1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Jimmypop316

Works hard in the corners really hard to take off the puck, gritty, and as you can tell he's not afraid to back down from fights. He's going to be relied on more this year with the Chiefs for scoring with the loss of Johnson/Koper. A euro who has great work ethic.

Jimmypop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Yes im sure your soo knowledgeable about Uher?

Really nice for a Mod to be going out of his way to flame someone.

From what ive read about the guys we drafted, im not impressed.

Now u can disagree with me but dont sit there and single Me out dude.
That's not flaming. That's pretty much telling you that you're not as knowledgeable about what it takes to build an NHL team as Shero and his other PROFESSIONAL scouts are. These people get paid money for their opinion. You pay money to give yours.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
farscape1

hope this pick works out

Last edited by farscape1: 06-27-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old
06-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Yes im sure your soo knowledgeable about Uher?
I'm not claiming to be. I've never heard of the guy, so I'm reserving judgment and deferring to the experts. You should try it out the next time you know nothing about the topic of discussion.

Quote:
Really nice for a Mod to be going out of his way to flame someone.
I'm not flaming you, I'm just tired of seeing uninformed, ignorant negativity in every draftees thread. Most of us open these threads in an attempt to educate ourselves on Shero's selections today. You should try that out as well.

Quote:
From what ive read about the guys we drafted, im not impressed.
I guess it's a good thing hockey is played on the ice and not on story book pages.

Quote:
Now u can disagree with me but dont sit there and single Me out dude.
I'm not singling you out; you're just the only person acting like this.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Stecz

Quote:
I understand most of your never go to other message boards but pal trying to make someone look bad like that would get you into trouble.

Just cause Shero and company get paid dont mean much seeing how we drafted in the 90's with Patrick at the helm.

I feel Uher is a bad pick. Nice how i get singled out cause of how i feel. Some message board this is.
You feel Uher's a bad pick based on what? You knew nothing about him before today. You'd never heard of him. Stop with the victim complex. You're complaining about a fifth round pick. Don't act like that's normal. If you don't like the message board, no one's keeping you here.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
farscape1

peace!

Last edited by farscape1: 06-27-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: no need to fight
Old
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Oh please you have singled me out in the past so dont try it. If u dont like what i say then dont read it. If i want to be negative then that is my right. I have the right also not to have you as a mod single me out. If u dont like what i have to say then owell.
Same goes for you. If you don't like what he's saying, don't read or reply to it. Just because his name is purple doesn't mean you have to pay attention to his opinion.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:02 PM
farscape1

And really im not going to sit here and defend and fight with you guys. I got better things to do in my life.

Its a shame how others are attacked so much on this message board. I disagree with the picks. So what, who cares, so get off me about it.

Real fun is next week anyway.

And for what you say about me being negative was mostly be just jagging people and having fun.

And to be honest, i liked the Morrow pick. I have this feeling when Letang contract is up, we might have trouble resigning him.

See i can be postive.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Oh please you have singled me out in the past so dont try it. If u dont like what i say then dont read it. If i want to be negative then that is my right. I have the right also not to have you as a mod single me out. If u dont like what i have to say then owell.
This is a public forum. In public forums, people share and critique opinions. Guess what I'm doing?

When an opinion is both vehement and uninformed (as yours is in this instance), it's going to be criticized. If you don't like that, then you probably shouldn't put your opinion out there to be criticized.

That's enough about you. Let's stop dragging this off-topic. Back to Dominik Uher.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
farscape1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
Same goes for you. If you don't like what he's saying, don't read or reply to it. Just because his name is purple doesn't mean you have to pay attention to his opinion.
Good point.

Same can be said about you too.

Now lets get back to wondering if Jagr is coming back or not.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM

This has gotten out of hand.

71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
This has gotten out of hand.
Uher is such a polarising prospect, it seems.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

gch no offense dude but I think you should chill.

No one is attacking you. He just in a direct way, pointed out that your negativity probably isn't based on a lot of personal knowledge. Sucks to have that pointed out to you but we all get too sure of ourselves sometimes on this board so take that FWIW.

Personally I'm not impressed with any of the picks past the 2nd one, but I don't blame Shero or the scouts for that. I think they have very specific criteria of who they're looking for beyond position. They want well-rounded guys who are good skaters, etc, who can be taught our system and molded into whatever role the coaches give them. The way we're running this team and WBS is somewhat analogous to the great European soccer clubs who literally start training kids when they're 12, 13 years old, put them through special schools, etc and teach them skills to maximize their potential within a particular style of play. The Dutch, I think Germans and Spanish all do this.

The only difference here is we're not drafting them when they're 12 years old, we get them 4-6 years later and start the same process from there of teaching our system, maximizing a particular skillset that fits within that system and emphasizing team success and continuity over individual success. So we're looking for "blocks of clay" vs an already formed work of art if you want ot look at it that way. Once in a while you get lucky and can draft a guy who's both a work of art and still able to mold his game to a system (say a guy like Hall or Doughty or whoever), but usually you're not getting anything close to that unless you trade way up or are a lottery team.

I think with the guys we got, there simply wasn't much out there that impressed them, as far as who could develop and fit within our system. So they did the next best thing: went with guys who are more physically filled out and developed and who show a lot of maturity and work ethic, and whose skills are at least decent.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-25-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:19 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Shouldn't drafting players based on how they fit into the system be a no-no? You don't draft on position because your lineup may drastically change in 5 years.. but so may the coach and system.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Shouldn't drafting players based on how they fit into the system be a no-no? You don't draft on position because your lineup may drastically change in 5 years.. but so may the coach and system.
And then you can flip the prospect for someone who better suits your system. Lineups change more often than systems.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
System might not be the right word, since that's more closely associated the coach. Shero generally drafts players that fit with his team-building philosophy. It's no coincidence that his coach's system caters to players of that ilk.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Name: Dominik Uher
Selection: Fifth Round (144th overall)
Position: C
Height: 6-0
Weight: 195
Amateur Team: Spokane (WHL)

Note: A 6-foot, 195-pound forward from Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League (WHL). Uher, 18, finished the regular season ranked fourth on Spokane with 60 points (21G-39A) in 65 games. He added 11 points (2G-9A) in 17 postseason contests. A native of Ostvava, CZE, Uher has produced 76 points (25G-51A) in 118 games with the Chiefs.

Sexton’s Take: “He plays hard. He’s strong. He has good speed. He put up reasonable numbers. He plays like a Penguin. A great two-way guy.”

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
Uher had 6 fights in junior this year. Pretty impressive for a Czech born player until you see he fights like Craig Adams.
If he plays like Craig Adams then I'd be happy.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I'm finding it humorous the amount of certainty some hockey fans speak in regards to Draft picks, especially out of the 1st round. At this point, you're just hoping they actually make the NHL.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
System might not be the right word, since that's more closely associated the coach. Shero generally drafts players that fit with his team-building philosophy. It's no coincidence that his coach's system caters to players of that ilk.
Bingo.

Quote:
“We got players that play the Penguins way,” Penguins assistant director of amateur scouting Randy Sexton said. “We spend a lot of time talking about it, with a lot of focus on that and the kids that came out of here today as part of our organization, they play like Penguins.”

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
thegenerel*

Quote:
you have the right of certain people not being allowed to respond to you?

thegenerel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Pens1566

Nice to see the chicken little brigade out in force (kind of) today.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote