HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 3: Pick #72 (Steven Fogarty, C/W)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 12:38 PM
  #26
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Among other clips - 3:00 is impressive.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:45 PM
  #27
CH2
Registered User
 
CH2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
He looks raw, very raw. But the initial skill is there, I would prefer either he plays in NCAA or CHL, not the USHL, but oh well.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
  #28
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,199
vCash: 500
Separating the pick from the trade, I like what I hear about Fogarty. This is the kind of risk/reward play I like. Agreed with Jonathan that HS players are where you look for upside if you're drafting a NA kid in a later round. 3rd rounders and later from the CHL are too well scouted to have much of a chance of becoming more than 3rd or 4th liners.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:51 PM
  #29
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,579
vCash: 500
I like this kid. Size, needs work on his speed, but isn't a complete slug out there on his skates, has soft hands, can score all types of goals, has a mean streak (I want to see more of a nasty side to him - he's physical alright, but I want to see nastiness with his size) and BACHCHECKS HARD. Which impressed me the most about those clips.

Although I still am disappointed that the Rangers didn't take a chance on Filatov, being that they needed potential top-line talent in the system, I do like this kid, and I'm hoping he pans out, because I think at the very best, he's a Dubinsky clone almost, but with even more of a snarl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
if he was too good for college, kreider would have been a PPG+ player in ncaa.
Very inaccurate statement. Jerry York wouldn't give him ice time because he favors his seniors. Anyone who knows anything about BC or College Hockey in general knows this.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:38 PM
  #30
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Looks like a good looking kid for sure, Size, skill and a centermen, very good looking for sure. I hope he does not think those dekes through the skates will work in the NHL and is willing to use the boards as his friend, but with the NYR and there years of development that is a story for another day. IDK WHY PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPARE HIM TO SOMEONE like Dubi lets the chips fall were they do.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:44 PM
  #31
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I like this kid. Size, needs work on his speed, but isn't a complete slug out there on his skates, has soft hands, can score all types of goals, has a mean streak (I want to see more of a nasty side to him - he's physical alright, but I want to see nastiness with his size) and BACHCHECKS HARD. Which impressed me the most about those clips.

Although I still am disappointed that the Rangers didn't take a chance on Filatov, being that they needed potential top-line talent in the system, I do like this kid, and I'm hoping he pans out, because I think at the very best, he's a Dubinsky clone almost, but with even more of a snarl.



Very inaccurate statement. Jerry York wouldn't give him ice time because he favors his seniors. Anyone who knows anything about BC or College Hockey in general knows this.
if he was too good for college hockey he wud have gotten more ice time.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:47 PM
  #32
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stepan-esque boom/bust potential.

I LOVE taking US HSers.

More potential than what Grachev was showing, for sure.
Def a boom/bust type from what I've read. Nice pick in the 3rd tho for sure.
As far as grachev, I dunno why they gave up on him for a younger, much bigger unknown...not to mention, lose the yrs of development already put in waiting for grach.
Nonetheless, I do like fogarty. I think if he reaches his potential, he can be a real nice player for the isles-rags rivalry

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:49 PM
  #33
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
#NYR Dir of Player Personnel Gordie Clark calls 3rd rounder Steven Fogarty "underrated...one most natural passers" says "we wanted him
https://twitter.com/#!/thenyrangers/...91871561031680

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:12 PM
  #34
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,176
vCash: 500
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/52...arty-interview

apparently one of our scouts called fogarty to tell him we were interested even though we didnt have many picks

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:07 PM
  #35
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
So glad to see everyone on board with this kid. He was my #2 sleeper player of the entire draft after seeing the online footage of his play during the Minnesota State Championships, very nice surprise on day two. Size, hands, and I like the hockey sense, his reaction time for a big guy is very nice.

Mike Barnett, no one mentions him but he scouts a lot of players in USA hockey, I'm usually the only one that mentions the guys name around here

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
  #36
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So glad to see everyone on board with this kid. He was my #2 sleeper player of the entire draft after seeing the online footage of his play during the Minnesota State Championships, very nice surprise on day two. Size, hands, and I like the hockey sense, his reaction time for a big guy is very nice.

Mike Barnett, no one mentions him but he scouts a lot of players in USA hockey, I'm usually the only one that mentions the guys name around here
I trust you alot when it comes to guys like these, what do you think his upside is? Any comparisons?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:16 PM
  #37
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
So glad to see everyone on board with this kid. He was my #2 sleeper player of the entire draft after seeing the online footage of his play during the Minnesota State Championships, very nice surprise on day two. Size, hands, and I like the hockey sense, his reaction time for a big guy is very nice.

Mike Barnett, no one mentions him but he scouts a lot of players in USA hockey, I'm usually the only one that mentions the guys name around here
Feeling better than last year at this time?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:27 PM
  #38
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,356
vCash: 500
SO this kid is going to play in the USHL next season? Is that correct?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
  #39
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Feeling better than last year at this time?
Much better thank you

I'm not a huge fan of Miller, but he's a good player, I just hope he ups his game in all areas when he's not playing against kids he physically dominates, sound familiar?

Fogarty, St Croix and McColgan are all nice picks in those spots, good risk reward, exactly what I would have tried to do in this particular draft.

Noreau and Ceresnak are huge and play the right side, maybe minor league callups when the undertaker is under the weather

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
  #40
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Much better thank you

I'm not a huge fan of Miller, but he's a good player, I just hope he ups his game in all areas when he's not playing against kids he physically dominates, sound familiar?

Fogarty, St Croix and McColgan are all nice picks in those spots, good risk reward, exactly what I would have tried to do in this particular draft.

Noreau and Ceresnak are huge and play the right side, maybe minor league callups when the undertaker is under the weather
I told Trxjw the same thing...I like the boom potential on the 1st four picks, combined with the work ethic. Scheifele was that player I really liked, but, Miller was even with McNeil as the player I wanted if Scheifele was gone. I have no complaints today.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
  #41
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I trust you alot when it comes to guys like these, what do you think his upside is? Any comparisons?
I like him at Center right now, and I'd say his style is similar to a young Jason Arnott.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:43 PM
  #42
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I told Trxjw the same thing...I like the boom potential on the 1st four picks, combined with the work ethic. Scheifele was that player I really liked, but, Miller was even with McNeil as the player I wanted if Scheifele was gone. I have no complaints today.
Yeah, I was a little crushed when Scheifele was taken that soon, shades of Johansen from last year Loved that Winnipeg got him, they were my faves after the Rangers when I was younger. Good overall draft for the Jets, big smile saying that name again

I won't lie, between Miller/McNeil I would have taken McNeil with no hesitation.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
  #43
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Among other clips - 3:00 is impressive.
Initial impressions from watching those clips is that you see him really outworking the other players on the ice....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
  #44
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Initial impressions from watching those clips is that you see him really outworking the other players on the ice....
And he does that by actually using his size, you can see it in the clips. He's a pretty physical kid and will hopefully be more of an advantage as he fills out.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
  #45
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And he does that by actually using his size, you can see it in the clips. He's a pretty physical kid and will hopefully be more of an advantage as he fills out.
Well the size and reach immediatlely jumps out at you, but I was also noticing his second efforts, his back-checking stickwork, and his not giving up on the play when he goes down on the ice.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
  #46
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Interview with Fogarty


TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:45 PM
  #47
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
if he was too good for college hockey he wud have gotten more ice time.
No how many times do we have to tell people Jerry York runs his ice-time based on Seniority instead of talent. No matter how talented Kreider is, as long as he is an underclassmen, he gets "underclassmen" minutes.

Let's see how Kreider does next year being a Junior and being the go-to-guy on the first line

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:48 PM
  #48
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Interview with Fogarty

Any other interviews with other Ranger draftees? (besides Miller)

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:53 PM
  #49
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
No how many times do we have to tell people Jerry York runs his ice-time based on Seniority instead of talent. No matter how talented Kreider is, as long as he is an underclassmen, he gets "underclassmen" minutes.
Of course not. Come on...

And like even if he did, you can't score if you aren't on the first line??? It's not basketball you know. Like Cally could score even with Gabby infron of him. A 38 yo Shanny could score with JJ infront of him.

Kreider have not produced in college because while having wheels he has basically no understanding of the offensive game. He cannot run a PP to save his life. He has no creativity. He is as creative as a subway, he goes in straight lines up and down his wing.

Why, why would you give a kid like that 1st line minutes? Perfect 2nd lineer, nit the goto guy offensively. Seniority my arse.

Kreider is doing the right thing staying because to max his potential he needs to work on the mentioned areas.


Last edited by Ola: 06-25-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:00 PM
  #50
TrollololBoyle
Registered User
 
TrollololBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Any other interviews with other Ranger draftees? (besides Miller)
Noreau has an interview on Blueshirts United

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.