HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL entry draft

Old
06-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Talk about inability to get a return on our draft picks. We received a third and 6th round pick in NEXT years draft for our third round pick this year. Yikes.

06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Talk about inability to get a return on our draft picks. We received a third and 6th round pick in NEXT years draft for our third round pick this year. Yikes.
Next year is spouse to be one of the best draft classes in years so thus why he pulled the move..

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:53 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Next year is spouse to be one of the best draft classes in years so thus why he pulled the move..
I guess we'll see about that. 6th rounders are crap shoots no matter how strong the draft class is, and who knows where in the 3rd the Toronto pick will be. I'd personally like a better return for trading down, especially considering the moves other teams made today.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

sounds like Poile is hoarding picks for next year much like he did in 2003 when we ended up with 13 picks(for 9 rounds) when it was all said and done

I can live with that if we end up with 3 players as good as Suter, Weber and Klein

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
LA gets: 3rd round pick
NSH gets: 3rd round pick + 6th round pick

Nashville clearly loses.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
LA gets: 3rd round pick
NSH gets: 3rd round pick + 6th round pick

Nashville clearly loses.
I am not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

My point is really quite simple. The return for trading out of that selection was minimal. Draft picks in next years draft are devalued during the current draft year. To move out of the third round for what projects to be roughly the same pick next year should net you more than a 6th round pick.

Regardless, it is not that huge of a deal. If there was not a player they wanted there, it is absolutely the right move to trade out. I just wish a trade could have been completed that gave us more value, or, if the Predators didn't like this draft so much, maybe they could have used that third round pick and other picks to trade up and get the players they did like....However, I am digressing. It is clear the Predators were not enamored with the players available after twice dealing picks for 2012 picks, essentially 1 for 1 while also giving up a first and third round pick in the Fisher trade. Had we not made those trades, the Predators would have had a first, two seconds, two thirds, two fourths, a fifth, a sixth, and a seventh (crazy).

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Paincakes

So how ****ing badass is Martin Gelinas? Really. The guy looks like he could still kick ass and take names JCVD style and he is our director of player development? couldn't have asked for a better guy when he was here that one year.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkIfYourHornqvist View Post
So how ****ing badass is Martin Gelinas? Really. The guy looks like he could still kick ass and take names JCVD style and he is our director of player development? couldn't have asked for a better guy when he was here that one year.
Whenever I see him on the ice with our prospects, he is always challenging them, playing keep away, and taking pucks away from guys left and right. He frequently out races guys too up and down the ice. He could definitely still be playing if he wanted to. He's in great shape.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

My point is really quite simple. The return for trading out of that selection was minimal. Draft picks in next years draft are devalued during the current draft year. To move out of the third round for what projects to be roughly the same pick next year should net you more than a 6th round pick.
I dunno man, swapping of 3rd round picks in exchange for a 6th rounder seems pretty fair and standard to me. What, to you, is fair value for an exchange of 3rds in this manner?

One thing to keep in mind, before the trade, we didn't have a 3rd round pick in 2012. Now we have a pick in every round again. And if it is true that our scouts are more excited about 2012, than this is a good trade.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:37 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:

The return seems normal if the trading teams both agree that the 2012 draft is stronger, which is likely the case as that's what I keep hearing from a lot of people.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Poile has said in the past that if the organization doesn't think the players available warrant a pick in that particular round, they won't reach and pick somebody just because its their turn. I think it's really as simple as that.

I'm fine with this.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPHC View Post
Noonan!
Congrats to him! My pops and his are good buddies from college. Good luck to both the preds and Garrett

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:30 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

HF's Nashville Predators 2011 draft review:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote