HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

7th Round - Pick #206 - Derek Mathers, RW, Peterborough (OHL)

Old
06-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Amateur Hour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
http://www.mykawartha.com/sports/art...gh-s-tough-guy

“I just do what I need to do to protect my teammates when necessary. As an enforcer, when you do what you need to do at certain times it gets the team into games,” he explains.
Mathers used his Oct. 14 dance against six-foot seven-inch 227-pound Sarnia Sting Kyle Flemington as an example. The Petes trailed the Sting 1-0 and Mathers sparked the Petes and the crowd with a spirited tussle with Flemington. The Petes followed with three straight goals and eventually won the contest 5-4.
“You have to pick your spots because you don’t want to be fighting when you’re up 3-1 and your at their home barn. Even if the guy loses it still pumps up their crowd and it gets their team riled up to,” Mathers says.
A defenceman his entire hockey career, Mathers was told on the first day of camp that he would being playing forward."
Hmmm... sounds familiar to a fairly traumatic occurrence in my experience as a Flyers fan. Oh, right.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
http://www.mykawartha.com/sports/art...gh-s-tough-guy

“I just do what I need to do to protect my teammates when necessary. As an enforcer, when you do what you need to do at certain times it gets the team into games,” he explains.
Mathers used his Oct. 14 dance against six-foot seven-inch 227-pound Sarnia Sting Kyle Flemington as an example. The Petes trailed the Sting 1-0 and Mathers sparked the Petes and the crowd with a spirited tussle with Flemington. The Petes followed with three straight goals and eventually won the contest 5-4.
“You have to pick your spots because you don’t want to be fighting when you’re up 3-1 and your at their home barn. Even if the guy loses it still pumps up their crowd and it gets their team riled up to,” Mathers says.
A defenceman his entire hockey career, Mathers was told on the first day of camp that he would being playing forward."
Oh my god, a goon with a brain?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:30 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

He's actually fairly smart when he fights too. If he knows he has reach he will hold the other guy at arms length with his left and wait for him to get tired. Then he stars upper cutting with his right. It's very effective.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
He's actually fairly smart when he fights too. If he knows he has reach he will hold the other guy at arms length with his left and wait for him to get tired. Then he stars upper cutting with his right. It's very effective.
I think I like what I hear.

I'm not a fan of taking strict fighters within the draft. However, if he's effective, wins fights, is smart, and can play more than 4 minutes a night, maybe bang in 4 or 5 goals/10 points, I'm in.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think I like what I hear.

I'm not a fan of taking strict fighters within the draft. However, if he's effective, wins fights, is smart, and can play more than 4 minutes a night, maybe bang in 4 or 5 goals/10 points, I'm in.
He can everything except the bolded. Cote could beat him 300-0 in a one on one. I didn't look up his stats so maybe he scored a few more than I think he can, but if he did they must have bounced off of him something. He isn't too bad defensively, but he'll never net 10 points IMO.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Doyle

Seventh Round – #206 Overall

With their final pick in the draft Philadelphia went with a big, rugged right winger in Derek Mathers of the Peterborough Petes. Few had heard of the 6′ 3″, 230-pounder coming into this year, but after he pummeled heavyweight Victor Terreri of the London Knights in a pre-season battle, he was on the radar of many. He went on to post one goal, five points, and 171 PIMs in 55 games.

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-2011-n...draft-roundup/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:21 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
He can everything except the bolded. Cote could beat him 300-0 in a one on one. I didn't look up his stats so maybe he scored a few more than I think he can, but if he did they must have bounced off of him something. He isn't too bad defensively, but he'll never net 10 points IMO.
What a horrible endorsement. Cote SUCKED. He'd get nervous with the puck when they passed it to him. I'm not sure I'd ever see him carry it for more than 2 seconds before shooting or turning it over.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:32 PM
BleedOrange
Future Star

I like this guy hope to see him in a flyers jersey in the next couple yrs he was born to be a flyer...........

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:40 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
What a horrible endorsement. Cote SUCKED. He'd get nervous with the puck when they passed it to him. I'm not sure I'd ever see him carry it for more than 2 seconds before shooting or turning it over.
And that is probably why he was so late in the draft. The majority of NHL enforcers could at least play junior hockey with some skill and this guy currently has none. In his defense he's a big dude that is 17 and focuses on fighting. If he is redirected he could still develop, but right now he has zero offense. Even Rinaldo, who had very few point in junior looked like he belonged out there. He was quick and a decent passer. But this dude is more of a lumber wagon. Like I posted earlier, think Stu Grimson. Another good comparison would be Tony Twist.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:50 AM
kicksave27

Brash had pretty respectable JR numbers. Even the mythical Hammer wasn't actually a fighter in JR, he was a scorer. His first fight was in the AHL i think. The hammer also had respectable goal/point totals in the NHL actually.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Rick Deckard

In contrast, Fedoruks junior stats weren't overwhelming either.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote