HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2011 4th Round Pick, 120th Overall - F Ludwig Blomstrand

Old
06-25-2011, 02:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
You don't waste draft picks on guys with no upside. 4th line players are a dime a dozen and can be signed from anywhere. Draft picks should be used on guys who have at least some potential.

06-25-2011, 02:07 PM
just22
meat and taters

ugh... really bad pick, but i hope the one of the reason they picked him was because he'll be willing to go to the chl... with those kind of numbers he'd probably need to play another year in swedish juniors, which is a giant waste

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

This is the one pick I really don't like at all.

Especially with Edmonton picking a 6' 5" D-man with triple the point production a few picks later.

I guess Gradin has earned the benefit of the doubt. But I'm extremely skeptical... and bummed we didn't pick the giant that Edmonton got.

Not crazy about the goalie pick either when Dave Lowry's 6' 4" kid was available.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:09 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Never heard of him.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Why are people so opinionated when they don't have a clue on what their talking about? If Gradin was their watching him play and wanted the Canucks to pick him, maybe he sees something than what his stats show. If he didn't have upside they wouldn't have picked him.
Somebody should tell Aquilini he's waisting a ton of money sending these guys around the world to scout talent when these guys can do it on the internet from their moms basement.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:17 PM
thefeebster

Initial reaction: Not a good value pick. But do not know yet if someone was going to take him, but honestly, wouldn't have cared.

This is terrible point production for the J20 league. For comparison, Westerholm is almost 2 PPG in this league. Points aren't everything, but if you can't score in junior levels, what are the chances you'll be a 30 point role player in the NHL? I don't see the upside in this pick, but we still haven't seen him play. I'll let Gradin have his breathing room, but i definitely had others on board that i would have loved (Kichton, McColgan, Fristch, Pribyl).

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:18 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Somebody should tell Aquilini he's waisting a ton of money sending these guys around the world to scout talent when these guys can do it on the internet from their moms basement.
Bro, I'm upstairs.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Initial reaction: Not a good value pick. But do not know yet if someone was going to take him, but honestly, wouldn't have cared.

This is terrible point production for the J20 league. For comparison, Westerholm is almost 2 PPG in this league. Points aren't everything, but if you can't score in junior levels, what are the chances you'll be a 30 point role player in the NHL? I don't see the upside in this pick, but we still haven't seen him play. I'll let Gradin have his breathing room, but i definitely had others on board that i would have loved (Kichton, McColgan, Fristch, Pribyl).
Kichton is who we should've picked, IMO.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
As a comparable, Danielsson had 33 points in 21 games at the same age in the same league. Blomstrand had 7 points in 33 games this year.
Yes, but I hear he hit the posts and crossbar 170+ times. Kid was really squeezing his stick. Wait 'til the pressure's off and he's on the 1st pp unit with Hodgson.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
If we aren't allowed to criticise anything because "we aren't professionals", then what's the point of posting here? I guess you also think it's wrong to say anything bad about AV?

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
If we aren't allowed to criticise anything because "we aren't professionals", then what's the point of posting here? I guess you also think it's wrong to say anything bad about AV?
It has nothing to do because your not a professional. It has something to do with you not traveling to Sweden and watching the kid play for a while. If you went there and scouted him for a few weeks than I would take your opinion and store it in my brain but because you have no substance or basis to your opinions it just bothers me.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I have questions about the pick too, as well as opinions on what AV does and doesn't do well. The difference is, I'm not going to make statements about the kid having zero upside before I've seen him play or heard his story.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by just22 View Post
ugh... really bad pick, but i hope the one of the reason they picked him was because he'll be willing to go to the chl... with those kind of numbers he'd probably need to play another year in swedish juniors, which is a giant waste
Alex Edler played in the Swedish juniors the year after being drafted, and prior to being he put up 9 points in 24 games in a league below the Swedish juniors. Let's wait and hear what the team has to say before writing him off.

Howard Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
VC

I'm really interested to hear what the Canucks brass has to say about Blomstrand. If he intends to come over or not. All of their other picks this draft seem straight forward with this one being questionable.

VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:52 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
I'm really interested to hear what the Canucks brass has to say about Blomstrand. If he intends to come over or not. All of their other picks this draft seem straight forward with this one being questionable.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to broker a deal so he is taken in the import draft (if he already isn't). Maybe he'll have a Rakell kind of progression and surprise us.

We should still give them the benefit of the doubt until we see him in prospects camp, which is coming up not too long from now.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Kmode

I don't like the pick simply because at that position, we could have taken a player with better potential. I'm guessing this guy would have been available a round or two later considering his rankings?

I guess you never know, but doesn't seem like a useful pick at that position.
With that said, I've never heard of the guy so who knows, but his stats and ISS ranking leave a lot to be desired.

Kmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Not a single Swedish poster has come on here to give a kind word on the kid. That's why I don't like the pick.

Seems like a very odd choice at 120th overall...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Commando View Post
Alex Edler played in the Swedish juniors the year after being drafted, and prior to being he put up 9 points in 24 games in a league below the Swedish juniors. Let's wait and hear what the team has to say before writing him off.
Exactly, & thanks for the info.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:22 PM
cheerupmurray

Blomstrand is as stated before a role player. His greatest asset is that he is a fantastic skater for his size.

As a sidenote his club Djurgården is great at devloping forwards (Josefson, Zibanejad, Krüger, Cehlin, Åberg(probable firstrounder 2012), Landeskog used to play for them), so he is in a good organization.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Never seen him play, but stats aren't great. Looks like a guy who just likes to bang bodies. We can find that anywhere

Next Mats Froshaug?

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Red

The stats and complete lack of any offensive production at that level are quite a big concern, but at least he's a good skater. I would have preferred Friberg with this pick though.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Proto

Gillis probably read off the wrong card

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
LongRoad

Gradin was named a part-time scout in 1994-95 and full-time a couple of years later, so realistically he's had his hands on likely all of our Swedish picks since the 1995 draft. He was also named head of European scouting in 1998-99. So with that in mind, what does the Canuck drafting record of Swedes and Europeans look like in that time frame?

1995 - None
1996 - Jonas Solnig (33 AHL games)
1997 - No Swedes, Gradin still not Head European Scout
1998 - No Swedes, Gradin still not Head European Scout (Ruutu was Mike Keenan's doing, may have had a hand in Chubarov)
1999 - Sedins, Now Head Euro Scout and the Canucks took Rene Vydareny and Markus Kankaanpera, 0 NHL games between them
2000 - Possibly Pavel Duma, if Gradin's title includes Russia, 0 NHL games
2001 - Konstantin Mikhailov and Evgeny Gladskikh from Russia, 0 NHL games
2002 - Kirill Koltsov, Denis Grot and Ilya Krikunov from Russia, Lukas Mensator from Czech Republic , Thomas Nussli from Switzerland, 0 NHL games total
2003 - Nicklas Danielsson from Sweden, Sergei Topol from Russia, 0 NHL games
2004 - Hansen and Edler, both massive steals that Gradin likely played a big part in
2005 - Mario Bliznak from Slovakia, 6 NHL games
2006 - Daniel Rahimi from Sweden, Juraj Simek from Slovakia and Sergei Shirokov from Russia, 8 NHL games for Shirokov, 0 for the other two (Grabner was also from this draft but was playing in the WHL by that point)
2007 - Ilya Kablukov from Russia, 0 NHL games
2008 - Mats Froshaug from Sweden, 0 NHL games
2009 - Anton Rodin, Peter Andersson, 0 NHL games, jury is still out on both but not looking too hot for Andersson
2010 - Jonathan Iilahti from Finland, too early to tell but was dropped early from the Finnish WJC camp this year

So when Gradin has hit, he's hit big (Hansen and Edler can both considered massive steals, played a big part in getting Burke interested in the Sedins, apparently he was big on Ohlund as well before he was with the club as an official scout). With picks we can attribute to him he's been wrong a significant number of times too. Granted most of the 'Gradin picks' have been late rounders but really, his success can be summed up in those four players, five including Ohlund, drafted seven and twelve years ago. It's not the glowing record that he's sometimes played up to have.

Last edited by LongRoad: 06-25-2011 at 05:08 PM.
LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpierPegasus View Post
Never seen him play, but stats aren't great. Looks like a guy who just likes to bang bodies. We can find that anywhere

Next Mats Froshaug?
Maybe if we're lucky he has Ilya Kablukov upside.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Jobal

I'm wondering why people are souring on Rodin? He had an injury-plagued season, but he was still productive.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote