HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Play Trevor Timmins - 2011 Edition

Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
fredez

vCash: 500
Play Trevor Timmins - 2011 Edition

Time to put your money where your mouth is!

I did this same exercice back in 2004 and watching the results many years later is very interesting. Back in 2004, a lot of people disagreed with our late picks (How stupid were we to pick overragers Grabovski and Streit!) but it turned out that Timmins did better than any poster from this board. Which is exactly why he does this year in and year out and has seen so many more games than we simple mortals.

(I'll add a link to the 2004 thread when search is enabled)

So here are Timmins picks :

Rnd Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team
1 17 17 MTL NATHAN BEAULIEU D CAN 6' 1" 179 QMJHL SAINT JOHN
4 6 97 MTL JOSIAH DIDIER D USA 6' 2" 199 USHL CEDAR RAPIDS
4 17 108 MTL OLIVIER ARCHAMBAULT LW CAN 5' 11" 176 QMJHL VAL-D'OR
4 22 113 MTL MAGNUS NYGREN D SWE 6' 1" 191 SWEDEN FARJESTAD
5 17 138 MTL DARREN DIETZ D CAN 6' 1" 193 WHL SASKATOON
6 17 168 MTL DANIEL PRIBYL C CZE 6' 3" 189 CZREP-JR. SPARTA JR.
7 17 198 MTL COLIN SULLIVAN D USA 6' 1" 196 HIGH-CT AVON OLD FARMS

----

Say which pick you disagree with and suggest ONE player you would pick in his place. The head scout can't suggest two-three players when it's time to make a pick! You can explain your reasoning.

Here are my choices :

1st round 17th
NATHAN BEAULIEU
I'm entirely satisfied with this pick. Who knew he would fall this far in the draft? I'm not scared of defensemen falling because many teams draft for organizational needs instead of BPA and it can make defensemen fall. See just last year with Fowler and Gormley.

4th round 97th
MICHAEL ST. CROIX
Mind you, I like the Didier pick. He had a very solid year in the USHL. But I feel like St. Croix is a very underrated player. He has amazing vision and he helped Dylan Wruck score 38 goals. He's not big, he's not fast but you can't teach vision and this guy has it. I would've taken a gamble on him at this point.

4th round 108th
MICHAEL MERSCH
Olivier Archambault is probably the only pick we made that I would without a doubt not have done. Very underwhelming season in the Q for the type of player he is. Mersch is a big winger already playing in the NCAA. Described as a nasty big checker. Very good season for a first year NCAA player.

4th round 113rd
MAGNUS NYGREN
Honestly had no clue who this guy was! But wow seems like a typical Timmins late round find! Teared the SEL a new one in his 22 games stint (point per game only behind Rundblad for any player under 24 in the SEL!). I love this pick!

5th round 138th
DARREN DIETZ
Big mean defenseman out of the WHL : I like! We seem to have ignored WHL defensemen in the past and they are good at developping big mean defensemen. I like this pick.

6th round 168th
DANIEL PRIBYL
Big right handed center! Lacked exposure since he did not play in internation tournaments for the Czechs. Had a great season in the U-20 Czech league (1.41 point per game pace). High reward potential, can't fault this pick.

7th round 198th
ZAKHAR ARZAMASTSEV
Already a solid player in the KHL, better production than Dmitry Orlov at the same age (on the same team). Who cares about the Russian factor at this point in the draft? Very surprised he went undrafted.

----

So, make your picks! And let's see how you fare against Trevor Timmins!

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I would of drafted Marek Tvrdon instead of Nygren.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I found your thread
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=117467

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

Good idea, I'll look on mine and post it later.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Thanks!

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Good idea!

1st round 17th
Nathan Beaulieu

I liked the pick, i like D that have speed and can make good passes and shots.

4th round 97th
Gregory Hofmann

Not a fan of projects based solely of physical attribute.

4th round 108th
Maxim Shalunov

Archambeault is reported to have quite a bad atitude and was'nt able to dominate.

4th round 113rd
Magnus Nygren

Being so good at such a young age is very impressive, Timmins have a good history with overagers.

5th round 138th
Nikita Nesterov

I prefer late picks from Europe hoping for an hidden gem.

6th round 168th
Daniel Pribyl

I'll trust Timmins on this one.

7th round 198th

Michael Schumacher

Nice name.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Beatnik is alive!!!
HF will stay the best at this time of the year

Always good to see the old timers too!

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:19 PM
macavoy

I love how all the experts who bash TT are no where near to be found itt. They'll all post nothing for 3 years, then 3 years from now say oh we should have taken Joe Brown instead of Tom Smith, TT sucks, fire him, I knew better.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I love how all the experts who bash TT are no where near to be found itt. They'll all post nothing for 3 years, then 3 years from now say oh we should have taken Joe Brown instead of Tom Smith, TT sucks, fire him, I knew better.
For the first time ever, i agreed with you.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
The first part I have no problem with. People get excited reading about prospects and they'd like to see us take them. They always want these "sexy" picks that look oh so good on paper.

It's when they start calling for Timmins head, and yelling/screaming about how much our picks suck, that they just get really annoying. As you can see from the last thread, the later rounds are such a crap shoot that most of them won't make the NHL anyways.

I'd say Timmins has one of the best late round records in the league and his picks speak for themselves.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
17th . Matthew Puempel
97th . Gregory Hoffmann
108th. Marek Tvrdon
113th. Matthias Backman
138th. Matt Mahalak
168th. Daniel Prybil
198th. Alexei Marchenko

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Not because it's not that particular thread that it can't be found. With a little patience, you can find everything everybody in here said.

Now, it is funny that the people in here are being bashed for having opinions while those professionnals like Timmins and Co have that great luxury at having a job filled with the crapshoot argument. So they could have that luxury but yet, posters in here are being bashed and ridiculized for not having it right....while having 1% of the possibilities that those professionnals have to evaluate those prospects?

The whole idea behind the supposed bashing of Timmins and Co are mostly about the 1st rounders. I personnally came with some arguments about how I didn't like the Kosty, Chip and Fischer picks. Yet, I also hated the Price pick, and I wasn't too sure about the Subban pick 'cause I had "heard" from tons of people how his defensive play was all over the place. So I didn't had that pleasure to see him myself live and as far as I remember, not even sure I saw him on TV that year. So I had other favorites. As a freakin fan. 'Cause again, if we'd take solely the opinions of professionnals in here, might as well close the board. Or might as well have all the threads start and ends with "Well, I trust the org., and let's see how it pans out". Would be a heck of a lot of fun. See, I really don't understand why there's so much emotion around Timmins and Co compared to the coach, the GM or even the players. Everything people question a selection, you have all that draft police coming hard....Yet, when Martin is question....or Gauthier is questioned...or Gomez play is questioned....you don't see that same kind of police. As far as I'm concerned, they are just as professionnals as Timmins. Who are we to judge their talent and effort?

So as a fan, you go with the end-result. End-result is that the positives are that Montreal has seen the most players played in the NHL all out of all the teams. Timmins and Co recognize who will play in the NHL. Now, the 1st rounders have not been all great and he is being questioned....just like the majority of the head scouts in other cities. We take care of our city, they take care of theirs. And if there is some logic argumentation around why we felt they missed the boat, so be it. They are humans, they can make mistakes. But we're allowed to mention it. We're fans, that's our right. Obviously, if you are a fan who never have an opinion and then comes around and mention how he sucks and that you would have done differently, then, while you still have a right to talk, your opinion won't mean much to me. Just like the posters' bashing made by people with no opinions....Tough to be wrong when you don't commit on anything....It's just as easy to bash Timmins when you don't commit yourself on players to go after then it's easy to bash posters when you also don't commit on players yourself...

So I'll play the game....have fun coming back hard on me and bashing me in 5 years while on the same breath, you'll go easy on Timmins saying that it's not his fault....it's so much a crapshoot....Oh and another point....I hope one day, just one day, people understand the difference between liking the draft THE SAME DAY IT HAPPENS and liking it down the road. And that we can do ALL THAT, with the idea that it's not because we don't like now, that we won't like it in the future. That calling a draft underwhelming or not sexy DOES NOT MEAN bad or waste of picks....One day, people will understand.....

1st round: Nathan Beaulieu. He was THE guy to take. Nothing to add. GREAT PICK! If Beaulieu isn't there, I go with Klefbom. HM to Jenner and Puempel.

4th round: Tough pick. I don't doubt the Didier pick. I like it. But I would have gone with a couple of other scenarios (I know, I'm trying to assure myself...but here's why.
I would go with Joseph Labate. Big tall offensive centerman that I didn't see play personnaly but saw 1 game on the net and read tons of reports. But I don't like to say that name based on how not a lot of times I saw him. But I guess he'd be my pick. I would have love to be a professionnal and see him play live 10 times....but I can't. Clearly boom or bust pick there. Could clearly fit in the Justin Jokinen syndrom. Other possibilities for me would be Reid Boucher and Colin Jacobs. But Yannick Veilleux I saw him play A LOT. And I like him.

4th round: I already mentioned how I was a fan of Archambault all year long despite his struggles. So I don't HATE the pick. If you go back to the list I made BEFORE the draft, I talk about Archambault in my HM (just like Daniel Pribyl) But I would have definately gone with 1 of Michael Mersch or Kale Kessy.

4th round: I do not know Nygren. At all. Won't say I saw him, read report or whatever, I can't. So which fits EXACTLY my "It's an unsexy pick...but it doesn't mean it won't be a great one...". Streit was an unsexy pick to say the least....So my pick would have been Samuel Noreau or Philippe Hudon. Now, I have to say, already, that Timmins pick is most likely to have the highest upside of the 3 so we'll obviously wait.

5th round: Saw Dietz play on TV a couple of times and it struck how great he was on open ice hits. His timing seems always perfect. Kid is tough as nails. I'm just not too sure of his ceilign as far as playing the game. So I would not have selected him but would have went with 1 one Michael Houser (undrafted goalie) or Austen Brassard or Gabriel Beaupré.

6th round: Daniel Pribyl. Perfect pick. I had him in the 4th round. Actually, though I don't have ANY merit as it was mentioned, my pre-draft list contained 111 names in my top 5 of each round, in my Honourable mentions category and in my "Timmins picks" category, 3 of the players I mentioned in the 4th round were drafted by the Habs (Archambault, Pribyl and Sullivan). Though to keep a great record, I will not mention the names of the guys that weren't drafted AT ALL.... I have Max McCormick and Patrik Westerholm as my HM in that round.

7th round: Colin Sullivan. Great pick. But my perfect pick was Alexei Marchenko. But I have not a whole lot to say about Sullivan aside from being a very good pick. Clearly, for me, THE best pick in the 7th round we've made since there are 7 rounds. I never understood the "stupid" picks of Kishel and Johnson (called them stupid then, still believe it now, and proving it as we speak...) but Sullivan has UPSIDE. There were TONS of other players not picked that I would have considered like LeSieur, Benson, Thomas, McKee all of which I have no idea how they were not drafted, makes no sense to me....but all and all....Sullivan and Marchenko are on top of the list.

Note: In hindsight, Timmins would have prefered to keep the 3rd round pick 'cause he WANTED Pageau and thought he'd still be available. And I wanted Pageau too....Was not exactly against trading down though.....I guess I would have also bet he would have still be there....but something is SURE....just before the Sens made their pick, I said that I wouldn,t be surprised if Pageau goes....not sure if there was anything we could have done to prevent this....I guess not.

Note 2: Not a bad draft like I already mentioned. Beaulieu is a great great pick. Didier has the perfect mix of solid and upside to make it. Archambault can be the new Dumont, Nygren can be the new Diaz even though the "old" Diaz hasn't started yet, Dietz could be tough and solid SOB though upside is questioned, while Pribyl and Sullivan might the greatest boom or bust picks since the 7 rounds were instated.

Note 3: We expect the best out of our scouting and development team. We have that right as the Montreal Canadiens fans to wish we'd go further 'cause we are waiting for the end results. Reality check....most players who were just drafted, didn't have 1 year old when the Habs won their Cup....some of them were not even born. Out of that present team, and out of that present management under only the Timmins supervision (which means excluding 2003 when Savard and Timins share the paternity of the draft), we only have 5 players that are playing with the big team right now (about to be 6 with Emelin). And while the next fact is NOT Timmins fault, we have NO return over the guys he picked, and does well elsewhere. So we have to expect better and bigger things from Timmins but also from the development team and the evaluation team. So many players taking their talent elsewhere, so many wasted opportunities. Yes, things might change real soon when Price, Subban and MaxPac, takes this team to another level. But AS OF NOW, we are still waiting. I see NO PROBLEM in having the greatest of expectations for our team.

Note 4: Having all them wrong ourselves should not refrain us from criticizing. Even if you are a ex-Atlanta Thrashers fan, and you witness so much crap going on all these years, even if it's been done by "professionnals", even if you didn't succeed in choosing better players, you have to expect that professionnals, with the means they have, would be able to do a better job than you in front of your TV, computer and occasionnal live games....By chance, we're not that Thrashers. But I'd expect it from any team. And if you are unable to have a great quantity record, might as well have a great quality one. All this with the understanding that you can't nailed everything on the spot. But you still need results. And on the standings and scoreboard preferably.

Hope it's satisfactory.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-26-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I don't know how to approach this, really. I have lists of players I would have taken instead (and had some players ranked much higher/lower on my list, so hard to tell who would have been available when), but I liked some of Timmins' picks. Oh well, here goes.

17th: I personally might have gone Klefbom if I was looking for a defenseman, but admit that Beaulieu was pretty much the "BPA". Knowing what I know now, though, I would have traded down to around 27/28 and chosen from Jensen or Phillips, on top of likely getting extra picks from the trade.

96th: Didier is growing on me as a pick. Reilly, Boucher, Labate, and Hoffman were guys on my radar, though.

107th: I don't know what to make of Archambault. I remember when he was the hottest thing since sliced bread entering the Q... and then... underwhelming rookie year, and just satisfactory sophmore year. And he still needs lots of strength and size to play in the AHL, let alone the NHL. It was around this point that I was starting to wonder where all the Russians were. I might have gone Shalunov, Arzamastsev, or something. Maybe even Noebels, Ferlin, or Ambroz at that point.

112: Love the Nygren pick. I wouldn't have done it, but then again I wouldn't think of using a draft pick on a 20/21 year old.

137: Almost no opinion on Dietz as far as good/bad pick. All I can say, is that at that point I still saw Shaw, Lowry, Karlsson, Friberg, and Nesterov on the board... I might have even taken Stransky this high. I like that guy's chances a LOT.

167: Love the Pribyl pick. I commented on him when he was taken before I could get him in our mock draft. I saved Korim for my 7th round shot in the dark, but I really wanted Pribyl. I dug into the Czech and Slovak leagues like crazy this year, and Pribyl is one of the gems.

197: Basically anyone but Sullivan, lol. But it's the 7th round, so who cares, right? Seriously though, there were a LOT of players that didn't even get drafted that I would have personally taken instead here. Stastny (high on him since LAST year), Benson, Le Sieur, Berglind, Zaytsev, Komarek, "the other" Forsberg, Yarullin, Hrivik, even Machovsky or Conz... so many names to choose from without choosing ANOTHER RHS defenseman, let alone one from the American high school system.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I did a 7 round wish list for the Habs before the draft (posted in the 2011 draft thread) listing about 5 players per round I'd want the Habs to draft, placing them in the round I expected them to be picked in, in the rough order that I wanted them. So knocking the names off that list until I got to someone on my wishlist that was still on the board at the Habs' pick, here's who I would have drafted:

17. D Nathan Beaulieu*
97. F Kale Kessy
108. F Marek Tvrdon
113. D Troy Vance
138. D Jesse Forsberg
168. D Alexei Marchenko
198. D Zakhar Armazatsev

The asterisk for Beaulieu is because I didn't bother putting him on my wishlist because I never thought he'd still be there. Going by my "actual" wishlist, my first choice at 17 would have been Mark McNeill.

So there you go...two big forwards and about five "boom or bust" defensemen, heh.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Felkov

17. Nathan Beaulieu
97. Gregory Hofmann
108. Olivier Archambault
113. Marcel Noebels
138. Philippe Hudon
168. Daniel Pribyl
198. Brent Andrews

Felkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:34 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I think Didier will amount to nothing. I wanted Kessy too.

I was tempted to pick Klefbom sooooo hard. I think I might have picked him instead of Beaulieu.. but I guess Nate's hard to pass up. Everyone knew Edmonton would draft a d-man with that pick, so I thought about trading with Chicago, but it turns out they just wanted a pick swap (Gauthier @ post-draft interview). Can't say I'm disappointed, but I still think Klefbom will have a brighter future.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
1st round 17th
Nathan Beaulieu

Agreed 100% with this one. What a steal.

4th round 97th
Josiah Didier

I know not many fans here know too much about him, but I do. I really liked this pick and hope it works out.

4th round 108th
Kale Kessy

Yes, I was one of "those" guys that was hoping for Kessy. Soft hands, decent speed and boy can he hit.

4th round 113rd
Zachary Yuen

I think you all know why I wanted him.

5th round 138th
Darren Dietz

Love his tough as nails attitude. Good pick

6th round 168th
Daniel Pribyl

Well... he's the big centre everyone has been hoping for. Puts up good numbers too.

7th round 198th
Sami Salminen

6'5, 200 lbs, hits hard and puts up points. Speed and skating is an issue but not a big issue, and it can be worked on.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:57 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Time to put your money where your mouth is!

----

So, make your picks! And let's see how you fare against Trevor Timmins!
I've kept records for first round....had some better draft picks than Timmins but overall he has the edge over me. Only because of one draft and one big mistake I would have made though. I had Parise in '03, Green in '04...but the big mistake I wanted Brule over Price in '05.

In '07 and '09 both had the same, Leblanc and McDonogh. I had Perron over Pacioretty...looks like a mistake now though. Although Perron is a player also, Patches is power forward we need. In '08 pick was traded. In '10 I would have took Coyle...he traded up to drfat Tinordi, jury still out on that one. This year I probably would have traded down to acquire an extra 2nd round pick. But had McNeill slotted highest when we drafted, so go with that.

Overall in the first round, I had

Zach Parise
Mike Green
Nick Foligno
Gilbert Brule
Mcdonogh & Perron
Leblanc
Coyle
McNeill

Timmins chose -

Kostitsyn
Chipchura
Price
Fischer
Mcdonogh & Pacioretty
Leblanc
Tinordi
Beaulieu

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Frankc

Actually I really like picks by TT. But honestly with our 1rst 4th round pick, I would have love to see Timmins taking a chance on Seth Ambroz. Didier would have probably still be available at our 2nd 4th round draft pick.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not because it's not that particular thread that it can't be found. With a little patience, you can find everything everybody in here said.

Now, it is funny that the people in here are being bashed for having opinions while those professionnals like Timmins and Co have that great luxury at having a job filled with the crapshoot argument. So they could have that luxury but yet, posters in here are being bashed and ridiculized for not having it right....while having 1% of the possibilities that those professionnals have to evaluate those prospects?

The whole idea behind the supposed bashing of Timmins and Co are mostly about the 1st rounders. I personnally came with some arguments about how I didn't like the Kosty, Chip and Fischer picks. Yet, I also hated the Price pick, and I wasn't too sure about the Subban pick 'cause I had "heard" from tons of people how his defensive play was all over the place. So I didn't had that pleasure to see him myself live and as far as I remember, not even sure I saw him on TV that year. So I had other favorites. As a freakin fan. 'Cause again, if we'd take solely the opinions of professionnals in here, might as well close the board. Or might as well have all the threads start and ends with "Well, I trust the org., and let's see how it pans out". Would be a heck of a lot of fun. See, I really don't understand why there's so much emotion around Timmins and Co compared to the coach, the GM or even the players. Everything people question a selection, you have all that draft police coming hard....Yet, when Martin is question....or Gauthier is questioned...or Gomez play is questioned....you don't see that same kind of police. As far as I'm concerned, they are just as professionnals as Timmins. Who are we to judge their talent and effort?

So as a fan, you go with the end-result. End-result is that the positives are that Montreal has seen the most players played in the NHL all out of all the teams. Timmins and Co recognize who will play in the NHL. Now, the 1st rounders have not been all great and he is being questioned....just like the majority of the head scouts in other cities. We take care of our city, they take care of theirs. And if there is some logic argumentation around why we felt they missed the boat, so be it. They are humans, they can make mistakes. But we're allowed to mention it. We're fans, that's our right. Obviously, if you are a fan who never have an opinion and then comes around and mention how he sucks and that you would have done differently, then, while you still have a right to talk, your opinion won't mean much to me. Just like the posters' bashing made by people with no opinions....Tough to be wrong when you don't commit on anything....It's just as easy to bash Timmins when you don't commit yourself on players to go after then it's easy to bash posters when you also don't commit on players yourself...

So I'll play the game....have fun coming back hard on me and bashing me in 5 years while on the same breath, you'll go easy on Timmins saying that it's not his fault....it's so much a crapshoot....Oh and another point....I hope one day, just one day, people understand the difference between liking the draft THE SAME DAY IT HAPPENS and liking it down the road. And that we can do ALL THAT, with the idea that it's not because we don't like now, that we won't like it in the future. That calling a draft underwhelming or not sexy DOES NOT MEAN bad or waste of picks....One day, people will understand.....

1st round: Nathan Beaulieu. He was THE guy to take. Nothing to add. GREAT PICK! If Beaulieu isn't there, I go with Klefbom. HM to Jenner and Puempel.

4th round: Tough pick. I don't doubt the Didier pick. I like it. But I would have gone with a couple of other scenarios (I know, I'm trying to assure myself...but here's why.
I would go with Joseph Labate. Big tall offensive centerman that I didn't see play personnaly but saw 1 game on the net and read tons of reports. But I don't like to say that name based on how not a lot of times I saw him. But I guess he'd be my pick. I would have love to be a professionnal and see him play live 10 times....but I can't. Clearly boom or bust pick there. Could clearly fit in the Justin Jokinen syndrom. Other possibilities for me would be Reid Boucher and Colin Jacobs. But Yannick Veilleux I saw him play A LOT. And I like him.

4th round: I already mentioned how I was a fan of Archambault all year long despite his struggles. So I don't HATE the pick. If you go back to the list I made BEFORE the draft, I talk about Archambault in my HM (just like Daniel Pribyl) But I would have definately gone with 1 of Michael Mersch or Kale Kessy.

4th round: I do not know Nygren. At all. Won't say I saw him, read report or whatever, I can't. So which fits EXACTLY my "It's an unsexy pick...but it doesn't mean it won't be a great one...". Streit was an unsexy pick to say the least....So my pick would have been Samuel Noreau or Philippe Hudon. Now, I have to say, already, that Timmins pick is most likely to have the highest upside of the 3 so we'll obviously wait.

5th round: Saw Dietz play on TV a couple of times and it struck how great he was on open ice hits. His timing seems always perfect. Kid is tough as nails. I'm just not too sure of his ceilign as far as playing the game. So I would not have selected him but would have went with 1 one Michael Houser (undrafted goalie) or Austen Brassard or Gabriel Beaupré.

6th round: Daniel Pribyl. Perfect pick. I had him in the 4th round. Actually, though I don't have ANY merit as it was mentioned, my pre-draft list contained 111 names in my top 5 of each round, in my Honourable mentions category and in my "Timmins picks" category, 3 of the players I mentioned in the 4th round were drafted by the Habs (Archambault, Pribyl and Sullivan). Though to keep a great record, I will not mention the names of the guys that weren't drafted AT ALL.... I have Max McCormick and Patrik Westerholm as my HM in that round.

7th round: Colin Sullivan. Great pick. But my perfect pick was Alexei Marchenko. But I have not a whole lot to say about Sullivan aside from being a very good pick. Clearly, for me, THE best pick in the 7th round we've made since there are 7 rounds. I never understood the "stupid" picks of Kishel and Johnson (called them stupid then, still believe it now, and proving it as we speak...) but Sullivan has UPSIDE. There were TONS of other players not picked that I would have considered like LeSieur, Benson, Thomas, McKee all of which I have no idea how they were not drafted, makes no sense to me....but all and all....Sullivan and Marchenko are on top of the list.

Note: In hindsight, Timmins would have prefered to keep the 3rd round pick 'cause he WANTED Pageau and thought he'd still be available. And I wanted Pageau too....Was not exactly against trading down though.....I guess I would have also bet he would have still be there....but something is SURE....just before the Sens made their pick, I said that I wouldn,t be surprised if Pageau goes....not sure if there was anything we could have done to prevent this....I guess not.

Note 2: Not a bad draft like I already mentioned. Beaulieu is a great great pick. Didier has the perfect mix of solid and upside to make it. Archambault can be the new Dumont, Nygren can be the new Diaz even though the "old" Diaz hasn't started yet, Dietz could be tough and solid SOB though upside is questioned, while Pribyl and Sullivan might the greatest boom or bust picks since the 7 rounds were instated.

Note 3: We expect the best out of our scouting and development team. We have that right as the Montreal Canadiens fans to wish we'd go further 'cause we are waiting for the end results. Reality check....most players who were just drafted, didn't have 1 year old when the Habs won their Cup....some of them were not even born. Out of that present team, and out of that present management under only the Timmins supervision (which means excluding 2003 when Savard and Timins share the paternity of the draft), we only have 5 players that are playing with the big team right now (about to be 6 with Emelin). And while the next fact is NOT Timmins fault, we have NO return over the guys he picked, and does well elsewhere. So we have to expect better and bigger things from Timmins but also from the development team and the evaluation team. So many players taking their talent elsewhere, so many wasted opportunities. Yes, things might change real soon when Price, Subban and MaxPac, takes this team to another level. But AS OF NOW, we are still waiting. I see NO PROBLEM in having the greatest of expectations for our team.

Note 4: Having all them wrong ourselves should not refrain us from criticizing. Even if you are a ex-Atlanta Thrashers fan, and you witness so much crap going on all these years, even if it's been done by "professionnals", even if you didn't succeed in choosing better players, you have to expect that professionnals, with the means they have, would be able to do a better job than you in front of your TV, computer and occasionnal live games....By chance, we're not that Thrashers. But I'd expect it from any team. And if you are unable to have a great quantity record, might as well have a great quality one. All this with the understanding that you can't nailed everything on the spot. But you still need results. And on the standings and scoreboard preferably.

Hope it's satisfactory.
One last time WS - I enjoy reading other opinions, especially one as informed as yours and Snake for example. What I object to is the arrogance that often accompanies the remarks; as if guys that do it as a hobby know better than the amateur scouts.

As an aside, why would you consider Hudon a worthwhile prospect? Have you ever seen him play? He had his best year as a freshmen at Choate and last year he had a meager 10 goal production. I understand the skating and physicality but he has subpar hockey IQ. As a matter of fact, for someone that has seen him play since novice, this has always been his Achilles Heel.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
One last time WS - I enjoy reading other opinions, especially one as informed as yours and Snake for example. What I object to is the arrogance that often accompanies the remarks; as if guys that do it as a hobby know better than the amateur scouts.

As an aside, why would you consider Hudon a worthwhile prospect? Have you ever seen him play? He had his best year as a freshmen at Choate and last year he had a meager 10 goal production. I understand the skating and physicality but he has subpar hockey IQ. As a matter of fact, for someone that has seen him play since novice, this has always been his Achilles Heel.
But again, where's the arrogance? I have an opinion. Yes, I go as far as having strong opinions on guys I like and strong opinions on guys I don't.....so what? People in here have strong opinions ON ALL THE SUBJECTS....yet, seems that there's a police mostly for the drafting and development issues...I don't get it. As a matter of fact, I've seen Hudon play before and live this year. Happened to be around visiting friends with my wife and decided to go. While it's just 1 game, that I have followed his progression through friends and all, I liked what I saw. Not the greatest IQ in the world, absolutely, but he could have had way more points the game I saw if he had the chance to play with adequate linemates. But I didn't pick him at #1 did I? He's a 4th rounder...maybe at best a 3rd liner....don't see how it can be a problem. That's why he fell down 'cause he has all those attributes but then, the biggest attribute of them all, IQ, is questioned. But you know what.....I DON'T HAVE THEM ALL RIGHT. You can be totally right and I'd be wrong. If Timmins is allowed to not have it all, pretty sure that with the limitations that I have, that I'm also allowed to have them wrong....and we all know I did. Besides, you have to tell the whole story as far as the list you talked about....That list was a list for the 4th round....look at the rest of the draft after that list, and I didn't miss 100 players....So as much as I like doing it, and feel strongly about stuff, I am often wrong. And once in a while right. I just have fun doing it.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'll do mine in a couple days... still have secrets to keep until then... . But wow, 2004 was abysmal, wasn't it?

And Whitesnake... I think you have to give us just 1 player at each spot.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:30 PM
TinordiandSubban

After digesting it all and letting the euphoria of new prospects die out there are some questions about this draft:

The obvious one is why so many right-sided D when that is already the deepest part of the prospect pool?

Why not Patrick Koudys and Phillipe Hudon, both of whom went very late and were as safe a Timmins pick as you can predict?

If Pageau was the target for the 3rd why trade down and risk losing him?

As for what I would have done, trade down from the first and take Grimaldi then Jaskin and Ritchie early in the second.

Which would be a better strategy in a different market, cause trading down with Beaulieu on the board would get me fired.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But again, where's the arrogance? I have an opinion. Yes, I go as far as having strong opinions on guys I like and strong opinions on guys I don't.....so what? People in here have strong opinions ON ALL THE SUBJECTS....yet, seems that there's a police mostly for the drafting and development issues...I don't get it. As a matter of fact, I've seen Hudon play before and live this year. Happened to be around visiting friends with my wife and decided to go. While it's just 1 game, that I have followed his progression through friends and all, I liked what I saw. Not the greatest IQ in the world, absolutely, but he could have had way more points the game I saw if he had the chance to play with adequate linemates. But I didn't pick him at #1 did I? He's a 4th rounder...maybe at best a 3rd liner....don't see how it can be a problem. That's why he fell down 'cause he has all those attributes but then, the biggest attribute of them all, IQ, is questioned. But you know what.....I DON'T HAVE THEM ALL RIGHT. You can be totally right and I'd be wrong. If Timmins is allowed to not have it all, pretty sure that with the limitations that I have, that I'm also allowed to have them wrong....and we all know I did. Besides, you have to tell the whole story as far as the list you talked about....That list was a list for the 4th round....look at the rest of the draft after that list, and I didn't miss 100 players....So as much as I like doing it, and feel strongly about stuff, I am often wrong. And once in a while right. I just have fun doing it.
Just to set the record straight, the list you posted was before the second round, go back - check for yourself not that it matters in the grand scheme of things. Also I didn't say you were arrogant, just that some of your reactions after selections come off as arrogant.

As for Hudon, he's a perfect example of scouts falling in love with the package not withstanding that he has never produced at any level including Bantam AA. Last year third year at Choate and he scores 10 goals - some games playing against teams that would not even qualify for Midget AA. IMO he has clearly regressed since he was selected to the Quebec U17 team.

Meanwhile, Archambeault plays 2 years in the Q - gets 50 points and all we can do is find the flaws and ridicule the Habs scouting staff.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Are you talking about this?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=392375&page=7

Well look at it and you'll see that something got screwed. 'Cause If so, how is that list a round 2 list when 2 minutes after, WTK talks about Winnett to Toronto, a 4th round pick? And I do say that McCrae and Erstadt are gone now....both in round 4. Then, it does seem as Round 2 starts...so don't know what happened...but some posts are in the wrong order.