HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 03:52 PM
sampollock

vCash: 500
we all can just dream on the trading of gomer

Old
06-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Lucius

It is on RDS (Renaud Levoie's blog), but it is a piece of speculation, not a rumor. He basically points out the obvious: Phoenix needs to add dollars to reach the floor, Gomez will technically save them money over the life of the deal if they operate at the floor with him on the roster, and a Hispanic American player would be a good draw in Phoenix.

Given the NHL is footing the bill, if Gomez saves them $5 million over three seasons, that's not necessarily the worst idea in the world.

Still, it seemed to me to be more an exercise in connecting dots than an actual rumor.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:03 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
It is on RDS (Renaud Levoie's blog), but it is a piece of speculation, not a rumor. He basically points out the obvious: Phoenix needs to add dollars to reach the floor, Gomez will technically save them money over the life of the deal if they operate at the floor with him on the roster, and a Hispanic American player would be a good draw in Phoenix.

Given the NHL is footing the bill, if Gomez saves them $5 million over three seasons, that's not necessarily the worst idea in the world.

Still, it seemed to me to be more an exercise in connecting dots than an actual rumor.
Probably but at least those dots make some sense. Still I know better players are available that may outweigh the money they'd save.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Aeneas

Quote:

It is definitly something that makes sense, and im all for moving gomez and his contract, as long as we can secure a solid 2nd line centre, doesnt have to be through that trade specifically, but it does leave a gap, as underachieving as gomez was, eller is spending this summer rehabbing not bulking up and wont necessarily be ready to fill that role

all that being said, this is all just connecting the dots which rarely works out

also if we keep gomez for another season, he makes 7.5 in salary and its 7.35 in cap hit, next year its 5.5 salary 7.35 cap hit, where it becomes valuable to a team like phoenix and he can only get better after a season like last year, increasing his stock to maybe get something more out of a trade, and giving us time to find or develop a 2nd line centre

Old
06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Krnage

gomez girlfriend have probably more value than him

Old
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

I've heard actual rumours that something is being worked on in regards to gomez. Lets all cross our fingers.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

What's everyones ideal situation the number 2 center if Gomez is traded? Would you do it via trade or sign the best avaiable free agent? If so for both, then who would your choices be and what would you propose for the trade of Gomez to anyteam. Honestly and not stupid proposals.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've heard actual rumours that something is being worked on in regards to gomez. Lets all cross our fingers.
Care to elaborate?

Old
06-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Xss

my friend told me gomez + kristo for klesla. no idea where he heard it.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
What's everyones ideal situation the number 2 center if Gomez is traded? Would you do it via trade or sign the best avaiable free agent? If so for both, then who would your choices be and what would you propose for the trade of Gomez to anyteam. Honestly and not stupid proposals.
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Gionta - Eller - Pacioretty
White - DD - Darche
Moen - Engqvist - Palushaj

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Emelin - Spacek
Weber - Diaz

Price
XXX

I'm sure I forgot people but the point is that I think if we remove Gomez from the team without even adding any player in return, I think our team would be just as good. I don't think we're a serious contender with this line-up but we'll be just as good without Gomez.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:33 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xss View Post
my friend told me gomez + kristo for kesler. no idea where he heard it.
DO IT

Old
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Assuming Gomez moved and little cap came back, would it be out of the question to go after Richards? Are we planning to stay over 7 M below cap?

Old
06-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Aeneas

Eklund:
"On Gomez...

The Phoenix Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche are prime candidates to take on Drury in a "Brian Campbell" type trade...
Stay tuned... "

now im pretty sure he meant to say gomez instead of drury, the title of the article was on gomez. i know eklund is a reach.. i guess wait til its an (e4) to get excited eh

Old
06-25-2011, 04:40 PM
MM425

Quote:
Damnit!

Now I'm actually getting my hopes up! lol

Old
06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
Eklund:
"On Gomez...

The Phoenix Coyotes and Colorado Avalanche are prime candidates to take on Drury in a "Brian Campbell" type trade...
Stay tuned... "

now im pretty sure he meant to say gomez instead of drury, the title of the article was on gomez. i know eklund is a reach.. i guess wait til its an (e4) to get excited eh
E4 is sure a strange way to spell "TSN" :O

Old
06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Krnage

I just can't believe that rumor

Old
06-25-2011, 04:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to 2112
Eklund is a total fraud.. the least he could have done is switch out "Drury" for "Gomez". He probably wrote that line three years ago. Straight copy-paste.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
Damnit!

Now I'm actually getting my hopes up! lol
My hopes have been up since trade deadline where supposedly st. louis came very close to dealing for him.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
I dunno... I don't like Gomez's contract, but we can't afford to lose him and not have any replacement for him. The guy played badly last year, but there's no way we go far with Eller as our second center. He's not ready yet. Same with Desharnais.

I'm seriously a bit afraid now because of this situation.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
My hopes have been up since trade deadline where supposedly st. louis came very close to dealing for him.
Source?

Are you 100% sure of this. Dealing Gomez could potentially make this team so much better.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I dunno... I don't like Gomez's contract, but we can't afford to lose him and not have any replacement for him. The guy played badly last year, but there's no way we go far with Eller as our second center. He's not ready yet. Same with Desharnais.

I'm seriously a bit afraid now because of this situation.
This is why keeping Dominic Moore for $500k more than Jeff Halpern got would have been better insurance.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Bobby12345

Move him and sign Laich who can play C.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:00 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
as much as i would love gomez to be gone i dont want it too happen unless we get someone to fill that cap

Old
06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Say what?

Old
06-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

As I Coyotes fan I would love to get Gomez. We badly need to get another center with some offensive skills on the team. Last year our only offensive center was Kyle Turris who is just now finding his stride. Hanzal is a shutdown center. Belanger and Fiddler were basically two fourth line centers. Belanger's numbers make him look he was a bigger impact offensively then he was.

We do also need help getting to the cap floor every year it seems and there are not many UFAs that are going to be willing to consider us. If we could get someone like Connolly or Laich I'd prefer them over Gomez but if none of them are willing then I'd be glad to take Gomez off your hands.

Now with that being said I wouldn't give up any of our first 3 round picks or good prospects for him. I don't know which good young players you have but I'd be willing to do something like

Gomez
Good young player

for

Roszival.

We are pretty loaded on defense right now with Ekman-Larsson, Schlemko, Goncharov, Gormley, Summers all fighting for the 5th-6th defenseman positions. Moving him open up space for one of them.

Closed Thread