HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 50
I am guessing that he'll be with Elliott in the NHL. So right now our future on D looks like:

EJ - "blank"
Seimens - Elliott
Barrie - Gaunce
E: Ruto, Chouinard

Obviously anything can change over time (Shatty was in a similar picture this time last year), but as it stands.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I'll lol if Barrie becomes Siemens partner.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:46 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Aaah hell naw!

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Welcome Duncan. I think they need to bring him to camp and have Footer kick the cr$p out of him. Then sit him in a room with Foote's highlight tapes and play them in a loop until his eyes bleed. If he becomes this team's feared physical defenseman all is good.
Wasn't there a story where Siemens ritually watches Scott Stevens videos? I'd rather have Stevens than Foote, though having Footer still around the organization and giving him tips would probably be huge.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
DarioinDenver

Duncan is really, really young. Avs will need to be patient with him. I'm not about to formulate an opinion based on youtube clips but popular scouting services say he's a really strong skater. With that in mind, the Avs won't have to be as impatient as they were with Boychuk. Most NHL d-men aren't on the Myers / Hedman development path. I'd expect to be patient with Siemens and remember that typically bigger defensemen take a while to become NHL ready.

DarioinDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:01 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver View Post
Duncan is really, really young. Avs will need to be patient with him. I'm not about to formulate an opinion based on youtube clips but popular scouting services say he's a really strong skater. With that in mind, the Avs won't have to be as impatient as they were with Boychuk. Most NHL d-men aren't on the Myers / Hedman development path. I'd expect to be patient with Siemens and remember that typically bigger defensemen take a while to become NHL ready.
If the Avs have shown anything with the development of Barrie, Elliott, and Choinard it's that the organization is really patient with their defensemen and will give them every chance to develop correctly.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
Wasn't there a story where Siemens ritually watches Scott Stevens videos? I'd rather have Stevens than Foote, though having Footer still around the organization and giving him tips would probably be huge.
I hadn't read that but would certainly take the Scott Stevens comparison. I don't think he has the offensive upside based on what has been said about him though so he seems more like Adam Foote with wheels to me.

Maybe RS can comment of his open ice hitting capabilities. That is something that set Stevens apart from a defensive standpoint. He was mean and he had really perfected the timing of open ice hitting. Personally I don't think there is anything that an offensive player on the other team fears worse than a solid open ice hit. Footer was tough but moreso in front of the net or on the boards.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

How are his chances to make the WJ team?

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
How are his chances to make the WJ team?
Not an easy team to make. He'd have to have a great camp and really show that he has a role on the team as a number 5-6 guy.

Renegade Stylings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Siemens isn't a big open ice hitter, that's why I don't understand why he talks about Stevens so much. Siemens is physical all over the ice, but I don't think I saw him come across the middle of the ice and bury a guy once last year.

Maybe that's something that will develop, but who knows.

Look at a guy like 16 year old Matt Dumba in Red Deer. Now there's a guy that catches kids with their heads down.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Siemens isn't a big open ice hitter, that's why I don't understand why he talks about Stevens so much. Siemens is physical all over the ice, but I don't think I saw him come across the middle of the ice and bury a guy once last year.

Look at a guy like 16 year old Matt Dumba in Red Deer. Now there's a guy that catches kids with their heads down.
I personally prefer the guy that will be physical everywhere. Dion Phaneuf was a huge open ice hitter and his defense suffered because he constantly looked for the big hit.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552386

There's the article I was talking about.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
shadow1

Will he be ready to go this year?

I think Johnson, Elliott, and DS will help make a pretty solid top four defenseman group. Who the fourth will be, I can't say.

shadow1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:

What has put me off on Siemens is when you told me, it's true that he has poor hockey sense. To me that a big red flag for a prospect especially a defender. Don't get me wrong I trust the avs scouting but I don't know.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
What has put me off on Siemens is when you told me, it's true that he has poor hockey sense. To me that a big red flag for a prospect especially a defender. Don't get me wrong I trust the avs scouting but I don't know.
It's not poor...it's just a concern.

He makes some bad decisions, mostly just over handling the puck in his own zone.

You have to remember he was the youngest player taken in the first round. He has flaws. But that's why I am saying this kid isn't NHL ready for a solid 3-4 years. He needs time to get more comfortable and work on his decision making processes.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:14 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:

He makes some bad decisions, mostly just over handling the puck in his own zone.

You have to remember he was the youngest player taken in the first round. He has flaws. But that's why I am saying this kid isn't NHL ready for a solid 3-4 years. He needs time to get more comfortable and work on his decision making processes.
You and others have said he's a great skater and he's physical. Does he get physical in transition ala pinching guys on the boards during a rush (Like a Wilson/Blake). Or, does he corral guys in the corners and then lend out punishment? (like a Foote).

DarioinDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:

Yeah, I noticed he's just 17 yrs old, that kinda puts me at ease. I'm sure I'll warm up to him, it just hasn't happened yet.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

He's a VERY good skater considering his size.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:11 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
I am guessing that he'll be with Elliott in the NHL. So right now our future on D looks like:

EJ - "blank"
Seimens - Elliott
Barrie - Gaunce
E: Ruto, Chouinard

Obviously anything can change over time (Shatty was in a similar picture this time last year), but as it stands.
Ej -Quincey

SlyAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:31 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
I agree completely he needs time... he is almost exactly a year younger than Landeskog and him and Elliot seem to have good chemistry (I watch a lot of blades games they looked great together) and my favorite part about him is how young he is and how physically mature he is for his age I love what the AVS did this draft i wish they would have made a push for Grechev him and Duchene were unreal in junior and a 3rd for a guy that is 6'4'' 230ish sounds good to me

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

According to ESPN's draft blog Duncan was surprisingly impressive in interviews.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
According to ESPN's draft blog Duncan was surprisingly impressive in interviews.
Not sure why that is surprising per say. He's got a great head on his shoulders and is the epitome of a team player. He's a hockey players hockey player. Old school guys love that.

Quote:
You and others have said he's a great skater and he's physical. Does he get physical in transition ala pinching guys on the boards during a rush (Like a Wilson/Blake). Or, does he corral guys in the corners and then lend out punishment? (like a Foote).
Not sure exactly what you mean.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Nah that won't happen.

They'll trade him to Toronto for Brett Lebda early next season, and then trade Elliott and Landeskog to Winnipeg for Bogosian at the deadline.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Not sure why that is surprising per say. He's got a great head on his shoulders and is the epitome of a team player. He's a hockey players hockey player. Old school guys love that.

Not sure exactly what you mean.
The way I read it was: Is Duncan the type of defender that is more aggressive and attacks the forwards, hitting them to seperate the puck around the half boards (Ryan Wilson does this alot), or is he the grind it out defender that will punish the forwards and coral them to the corners (Foote did this a lot)?

Old
06-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
The way I read it was: Is Duncan the type of defender that is more aggressive and attacks the forwards, hitting them to seperate the puck around the half boards (Ryan Wilson does this alot), or is he the grind it out defender that will punish the forwards and coral them to the corners (Foote did this a lot)?
Ahh I see. He's a bit of both. He works hard in the corners like Foote, but doesn't hesitate to use the hipcheck to defend against on rushing forwards.

In fact, he was badly hurt in the playoffs because he lined up a hipcheck and missed, badly bruising his thigh. Would have been a massive hit.