HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rank the Habs draft

View Poll Results: Rank the Habs draft
A 14 7.29%
B 98 51.04%
C 63 32.81%
D 14 7.29%
E 3 1.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Andrei Markov. Subban is going to be ready to fill that role he would leave, we already know what its like without him, we survived.
Andrei Markov?

Trade a top 10 defensemen in the nhl for a top 6 forward. Yah, that's how you make teams better.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Andy

The poll should have a "to early to tell since I'm not familiar with the players" option.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Andrei Markov. Subban is going to be ready to fill that role he would leave, we already know what its like without him, we survived.
Trading Markov for Setoguchi would've been the worst Habs trade of the next decade imo, on par with Gomez. He just signed as well... that proposal doesn't make any sense. Outside Subban, I don't see how we could've gotten him.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
The poll should have a "to early to tell since I'm not familiar with the players" option.
This is the Habs forum, why would we have realistic options?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Andrei Markov?

Trade a top 10 defensemen in the nhl for a top 6 forward. Yah, that's how you make teams better.
I'm saying Markov for DS + Charlie Coyle and the 28th overall pick makes us a better team. Considering Markov missed all of last year, we still come out fine. Devin is a great young player, he would be a standout in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Trading Markov for Setoguchi would've been the worst Habs trade of the next decade imo, on par with Gomez. He just signed as well... that proposal doesn't make any sense. Outside Subban, I don't see how we could've gotten him.
I was asked what top 4 dman we could have offered, so I answered him. If you feel a 24yr old, 20 goal kid who has nowhere to go, but up, is the 'worst trade of the decade' then I'm not sure what you think is a 'good' player.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Another lackluster draft, the team should have made a trade or two. I'm certain it never even crossed their mind to try and trade up, or make a deal. I bet PG had no idea DS was even available from San Jose, he's clueless.

Timmins and PG are so safe and predictable, another reason why this team will reside in mediocrity the next few years if this collection hangs around.
It's funny because when I hear the name Setoguchi, mediocrity is one of the first things that come to mind.

No knock on the player, he's decent, but hardly anything to get worked up or excited about one way or the other. Sounds like you just want trades for the sake of change, and would probably be the first to knock Setoguchi and management when he plays here and puts up another 40 pt season.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
This draft will be looked at as lost opportunity. Beaulieu's upside is a slightly better version of Hainsey, and the rest of the guys likely won't sniff the NHL. Hopefully Beaulieu proves to be a home run, but teams avoided him like the plague and drafted lower ranked dmen over him, something that should set off alarm bells. Can't help but think this will be a repeat of the Jason Ward fiasco.
you're funny.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I rate it A+ just for the meltdowns from people who have never seen these kids play a single game.

good for you. i fully agree.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
It's funny because when I hear the name Setoguchi, mediocrity is one of the first things that come to mind.

No knock on the player, he's decent, but hardly anything to get worked up or excited about one way or the other. Sounds like you just want trades for the sake of change, and would probably be the first to knock Setoguchi and management when he plays here and puts up another 40 pt season.
If Setoguchi is mediocre in your mind, what do you think of the balance of our core players? We only had one player surpass 50 points. I guess you are thrilled with mediocrity? Why bother taking a chance on actually getting a promising young player, who is signed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
you're really funny.
At least most people here can defend their beliefs, right or wrong. You just poke your little head in here, with a clueless statement. Whats the matter? Scared to throw your .02c out there in case someone disagrees with you?

Waiting to see how everyone else feels before jumping on the bandwagon? I disagree with a lot of people here, but at least I respect the fact they actually have an opinion.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
I was asked what top 4 dman we could have offered, so I answered him. If you feel a 24yr old, 20 goal kid who has nowhere to go, but up, is the 'worst trade of the decade' then I'm not sure what you think is a 'good' player.
Fair enough, but I don't agree. If Markovs healthy, I think he's going to outscore Setoguchi easily on top of playing much more important minutes. To me Coyle and the first are pretty worthless at the moment, so I don't see how this makes us a better team. If you're trading an elite top 5D (though this might be the point where you disagree and our views diverge), I'd expect some sort of unique or really interesting skillset coming back. I'm not debating Setoguchi is a good player, but I don't think trading a player of Markov's caliber should garner just a good forward and two useless assets for now, that might be average in the future.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:07 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Here's how most people grade the picks:

Beaulieu - Saw him play in the Memorial Cup and watched some highlight videos from youtube A
Didier - Never heard of him F
Archambault - Never heard of him F
Nygren - Never heard of him F
Dietz - Never heard of him F
Pribyl - Never heard of him F
Sullivan - Never heard of him F

Overall that earns a C-
that's about the way it is.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
If Setoguchi is mediocre in your mind, what do you think of the balance of our core players? We only had one player surpass 50 points. I guess you are thrilled with mediocrity? Why bother taking a chance on actually getting a promising young player, who is signed?
Our offense is mediocre. As evidenced by where it ranks in the league.

Doesn't change the fact that Setoguchi, playing over 50% of his shifts with Joe Thornton, managed a measly 41 pts. He'd have managed even less with the linemates he'd get on this team.

Adding another mediocre offensive player at the cost of an elite offensive defenseman is ass backwards.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Fair enough, but I don't agree. If Markovs healthy, I think he's going to outscore Setoguchi easily on top of playing much more important minutes. To me Coyle and the first are pretty worthless at the moment, so I don't see how this makes us a better team. If you're trading an elite top 5D (though this might be the point where you disagree and our views diverge), I'd expect some sort of unique or really interesting skillset coming back. I'm not debating Setoguchi is a good player, but I don't think trading a player of Markov's caliber should garner just a good forward and two useless assets for now, that might be average in the future.
I guess I believe Markov has reached his ceiling, and our problem is generating offensive chances down low. I would like to see the team fix our issues up front, I don't see how we can do this without making a move that involves giving up a very good player at some point.

I see Setoguchi as a 65+ point player one day, and expect him to blossom on a team where he is one of the bigger pieces up front.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Andy

Habs(the poster)...I asked on the previous page and didn't recieve a response so I'll as again.

Why do you think this was a bad draft?

What is your analysis of the players chosen? Is this analysis based on reports you've read or actual game footage you've seen/games you've attented?(Youtube compilations don't count). How familiar are you with these players? How are their characters? What is their potential?

When you've answered all this, then please explain why this is a bad draft.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:13 PM
ChoseLa

B because of Beaulieu at 17, that's a real steal. The rest, i don't know any of them, so what can i say. I like the Didier pick makes me think McDonagh.

I was realy hoping we could get one of the though boys, Larrazam Labatte, Kessy, Ewanik or Goodrow, but what are we gonna do?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:19 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
At least most people here can defend their beliefs, right or wrong. You just poke your little head in here, with a clueless statement. Whats the matter? Scared to throw your .02c out there in case someone disagrees with you?

Waiting to see how everyone else feels before jumping on the bandwagon? I disagree with a lot of people here, but at least I respect the fact they actually have an opinion.
Nope. I find it most humourous to see people like us who have no idea of who these players are, nevermind having seen them play or having had access to 'inside' information and still call them 'underwhelming', etc.

I have a few choices as to how I'll react:

1) do what I did... laugh

2) get upset at another foolish evaluation made without proper and complete information to use in the said evaluation (by the way, as a teacher, if I was to do an evaluation of a student in a similar manner, I'd have my knuckles rapped if not be downright reprimanded)

3) ignore it. nevertheless, I do it with the hope that these 'commentators' will step back and see the weakness of their positions.

4) just add my evaluation (which is... hey! we can actually evaluate this draft less than a day after it takes place?).

I wonder why it is that hockeysfuture.com does a draft evaluation 5 YEARS after the draft. Maybe it gives the one evaluating a better platform from which to see the results of the draft.

So, I go back to my first option. I may as well chuckle at the foolish statements. At the very least I'm following Rabelais's perspective on getting good health. Humour contributes to better health whereas the opposite actually hurts.

Finally, having an 'opinion' without sufficient basis is descriptive of the person who was in a king's court to make him laugh. It actually worked.

Last edited by shortcat1: 06-25-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
Nope. I find it most humourous to see people like us who have no idea of who these players are, nevermind having seen them play or having had access to 'inside' information and still call them 'underwhelming', etc.

I have a few choices as to how I'll react:

1) do what I did... laugh

2) get upset at another foolish evaluation made without proper and complete information to use in the said evaluation (by the way, as a teacher, if I was to do an evaluation of a student in a similar manner, I'd have my knuckles rapped if not be downright reprimanded)

3) ignore it. nevertheless, I do it with the hope that these 'commentators' will step back and see the weakness of their positions.

4) just add my evaluation (which is... hey! we can actually evaluate this draft less than a day after it takes place?).

I wonder why it is that hockeysfuture.com does a draft evaluation 5 YEARS after the draft. Maybe it gives the one evaluating a better platform from which to see the results of the draft.

So, I go back to my first option. I may as well chuckle at the foolish statements. At the very least it follows Rabelais's perspective on getting good health. Humour contributes to better health whereas the opposite actually hurts.
Just what I thought, you have no opinion.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My only concern....I like Pageau a lot. History will tell us if we did great by trading our 3rd round pick and get him instead of getting Didier and Archambault. Even though I find Didier solid and Archambault was always a favorite of mine.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-25-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Scotianhab

I give it a B-

Hopefully a team picks Pribyl in the import draft.

Also where Nygren is 21 we could sign him for Hamilton next year.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
E = CH²

Really excited about Beaulieu who fell to us. It's always nice to grab the one that slips down the draft. Maybe we got last year's Fowler.

But the player I liked was Nygren. He has a very sweet release, can't teach that. I'm going to look forward to what he does next season wherever he plays.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:45 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Just what I thought, you have no opinion.
Uh........... maybe, if you read fully, you'd see that I refuse to make a judgment at this point. Refuse.

I tend to be one who trusts those who know better than I do. In this case, Timmins & co. know way better than I do so, if I were to give an opinion, it'd be: "I'm sure that these guys did the best they could as a group so I'll lean my trust upon them."

Nevertheless that aside, I REFUSE to offer a judgment at this point.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Rysmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
This draft will be looked at as lost opportunity. Beaulieu's upside is a slightly better version of Hainsey, and the rest of the guys likely won't sniff the NHL. Hopefully Beaulieu proves to be a home run, but teams avoided him like the plague and drafted lower ranked dmen over him, something that should set off alarm bells. Can't help but think this will be a repeat of the Jason Ward fiasco.
Yeah, you'd think we would have learned from Anaheim selecting that talentless scrub Cam Fowler last year....

Rysmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Uh........... maybe, if you read fully, you'd see that I refuse to make a judgment at this point. Refuse.

I tend to be one who trusts those who know better than I do. In this case, Timmins & co. know way better than I do so, if I were to give an opinion, it'd be: "I'm sure that these guys did the best they could as a group so I'll lean my trust upon them."

Nevertheless that aside, I REFUSE to offer a judgment at this point.
No dude a bunch of posters on HFBoards who wanted Biggs know better than TT

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Protest the Hero

Ya I'd trust the guys traveling all over the world watching hundreds of games and are being paid to do this over a couple of people on a message board who only read a paragraph long scouting report.

Magnus Nygren is under contract with Farjestad until 2013, but if what I assume is correct, we can sign him to a conctract and have him come over here if we'd like. Would you guys rather he played another year in Sweden, or would you rather he came over to Hamilton this year?

Also, another assumption; Josiah Didier and Colin Sullivan aren't scheduled to play college hockey until the 2012-2013 season. Could they theoretically play in the CHL this year? I don't expect them to, but it'd be cool.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:44 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Obviously SJ wouldn't have done that either. Would you rather have Markov or Burns ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
No dude a bunch of posters on HFBoards who wanted Biggs know better than TT
No kidding,just like a bunch of posters who want toughness know better than PG

Anyone got a link showing stats and size of picks ? Thanks in advance

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote