HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade the draft and the picks

View Poll Results: Draft grade
A 23 18.11%
B 74 58.27%
C 24 18.90%
D 2 1.57%
F 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
so we ended up with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 2, 5ths and a 6th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Erixon, Miller, Fogarty, McColgan, ill give it an A grade i really like what we did this year

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I was thinking high B, low A, but I voted A to make the voting more interesting.

I'm a fan of every pick we made. Players like McColgan and St. Croix have tremendous potential and were once heralded as top picks, while Fogarty is going to surprise a lot of people.

The Rangers didn't have great picks/positions in this draft, and they made out quite well.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

C, Average. Mainly because there is some good risk taking in the picks. Good job by the scouts. Well see what happens.

As far as how they conducted the draft, trading the 2's away and getting a 3 back and taking a few risks in a weak draft - B+

See ya Grachev.

Erixon included, A-

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I give it an A-. Miller is a very good pick with some real boom potential. I'm surprised Clark had him as a center though. I always figured he'd convert to wing at the next level.

Fogarty is an excellent value at #72. He has tremendous vision with the puck and natural hockey ability. Shades of Stepan with a bigger frame.

St. Croix has very good skill, and if he can improve his skating has 2nd line winger upside.

McColgan is a worker. Good hands and motor, just needs to find that next level. Could be a steal.

I know little about the two d-men that were selected, but I like the reports on them. Still, based on the first 4 picks, I think we did very well here. I wonder if Barb Underhill's success with Boyle made them more comfortable selecting a couple guys who need to improve their skating.

Frankly, I think people are letting the whole "This draft blows" mentality blind them from seeing the potential in these kids. Kind of unfortunate.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Miller - B+
Fogarty - B+
St. Croix - A-
McColgan - A
D-Men - C

I'd say a solid B+ all around. Really love the middle picks.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I give it an A-. Miller is a very good pick with some real boom potential. I'm surprised Clark had him as a center though. I always figured he'd convert to wing at the next level.

Fogarty is an excellent value at #72. He has tremendous vision with the puck and natural hockey ability. Shades of Stepan with a bigger frame.

St. Croix has very good skill, and if he can improve his skating has 2nd line winger upside.

McColgan is a worker. Good hands and motor, just needs to find that next level. Could be a steal.

I know little about the two d-men that were selected, but I like the reports on them. Still, based on the first 4 picks, I think we did very well here. I wonder if Barb Underhill's success with Boyle made them more comfortable selecting a couple guys who need to improve their skating.

Frankly, I think people are letting the whole "This draft blows" mentality blind them from seeing the potential in these kids. Kind of unfortunate.
You echo my feelings...I see a lot of "boom" potential in the first four picks, which is what I think many fans want to see. These are not the days of taking a Jessiman. There is already a strong stable of solid young players and prospects. If some of these kids fully develop to their potential, we may have the higher skilled players this organization has been lacking. Plus, they all appear to come with the tag of "hard workers", which fits in with the current direction and mindset.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
You echo my feelings...I see a lot of "boom" potential in the first four picks, which is what I think many fans want to see. These are not the days of taking a Jessiman. There is already a strong stable of solid young players and prospects. If some of these kids fully develop to their potential, we may have the higher skilled players this organization has been lacking. Plus, they all appear to come with the tag of "hard workers", which fits in with the current direction and mindset.
Exactly. They left some kids on the board who might have been "sexier" picks in terms of how often they were discussed, and how many YouTube videos are out there, but these kids we took are all very skilled forwards. It just so happens that they all have the other criteria our scouts are looking for: Work ethic, character, and two-way ability.

Very pleased with how things went.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
This is the first time I can remember me giving Slats an A on anything but I voted A.

That Erixon trade was great, esp seeing who we could have gotten with those picks. To me we got two first rounders in Erixon and Miller, how could you ask for more than that?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Hated the Grachev trade, but loved the draft. This is how I want us always to pick - upside, upside, upside. If you drop out of the range of surefire top line / top pairing players, then go for the guys who have a chance to develop high end skills and, in so doing, accept the chance that they also might develop into AHLers or 4th liners. Save the latter rounds for drafting pugilistic types. Would've liked a trade down in the 1st to pick up an extra pick to get one of the Russians, but I'll trust Gordie that they needed to stay there to get Miller. A

A+ counting Erixon.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-25-2011 at 05:08 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

"B" sounds right. Good value in pretty much all of the spots we chose. I like St. Croix, maybe Colin Jacobs might have been better, but I understand why they would take St Croix that late, he's very talented.

It seems as long as Tim Erixon lives up to expectations no one will make too big a deal if none of these guys becomes much.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

my initial reaction is very myeh which amounts to about a C. It's probably more of a C+/B- Nothing really got me out of my seats. It's good to hear people are excited about Fogarty. I certainly thought the Rangers might get a 2nd or 3rd to take a High Schooler and by God, Gordie did not disappoint. Hope he is another diamond. Him and JT Miller, NCAA rookie sensations please!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

B or B+ and I think the Erixon acquisition was smart asset management with a weaker draft class.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:16 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Went with a B- on my blog, voted B here. I like the potential of some of the guys, but there IMHO they're all going to take a LONG time until we see these picks turn pro. Especially Fogarty.

Miller - B+
Fogarty - B
St. Croix - B-
McColgan - C (I don't like this pick, however I will admit I don't know much of the kid. His size discourages me and I don't think his talent will ever make up for his size to be NHL caliber.)
Noreau - C- (6/7 dman, can beat the **** out of people)
Ceresnak - B (I love this pick, Ceresnak has already played in the Slovak league with men, captained their U-18 team which he has appeared on twice and was on the WJC U-20 team already last season. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with him).

I think when it's all said and done we'll look back on this draft happy we picked up Miller, Ceresnak, Fogarty in that order.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Black Tank

Gave it an A. We were dealt a poor hand (15th in a weak draft) and left the table with a guy who has real potential to be playing in the NHL. That's like leaving Vegas with $35 in your pocket. Nothing that's going to change your life but at least you left up on the house.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'll just grade the first round pick.

Miller - A

People complaining dont know what theyre talking about. Miller has more upside as a hockey player and for what he can contribute to a Pro team, then the likes of Puempel, Bartschi, Grimaldi, and some of the other names people were drooling over.

Miller is more complete. Plays a legitimate two way game, hes big, fast, strong, gritty, and he has a high skill level. He has good vision, can set up hus teammates, can score, has a hard shot. He does everything.

Will he be a superstar? No. He has the potential to be a very good NHL player and leader. He will be able to play in all situations.

Hes going to one of the top hockey programs in the country.

What else people expect from #15?

As far as i'm concerned, Rangers couldnt have done any better unless they traded up.
Why do I get the feeling you had this speech canned no matter who we drafted.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Why would people consider Erixon in this? He was traded to us 3 weeks ago, that didnt happen at the draft.
Might have to do with the 2 2nd round picks we had...I dont get this thinking if erixon was in the draft and we picked him 5th or something with this trade we'd include it but because we were proactive in not letting him get to the draft he shouldnt even be considered in counting? I get the stipulation Jon put forth BUT how could you not realize why some people would consider including erixon in this draft? Also I give this a C+. I think we passed on at least 2 better players in the 1st but I loved the value we got on St. Croix. if u include erixon it's a B+ borderline A-

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-25-2011 at 07:10 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Provolone*

D. Should've went with Armia and i don't expect to see any of the other picks to ever play with the Rangers.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

From a philosophical point of view, great draft for me.

Drafted a kid in the first who fell only to an injury, not bad talent.

Drafted a kid in HS who may have slipped only because of low competition.

Two small kids with great talent.

Two late picks for big defensemen who would be very useful if they make it even as third pair d.

Had I drafted, I would have used the same philosophy. In the run up to the draft, I repeatedly called for the drafting of kids with superior talent who fell because of injuries, low competition or small size, and not because of their talent.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
B/B+ from me.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:26 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

B maybe

if we hadnt done erixon, and lets say kept horak and the 2nds, i would have to say that this draft would have been pretty poor- maybe a c-. then again, we prolly would have moved up, or grabbed a couple decent guys in the 2nd. either way i give this draft, as is, a solid b.

miller B i like but he isnt really a high end offensive guy. hes got everything else in spades however and i really like his skating for a big dude. he seems to make sense given the way this organization seems to be heading. solid pick for a solid nhl power forward prospect.

after miller, im not that excited. i liked others still on the board when we chose. i know little about fogarty B-, but there certainly were other guys still available so i have to assume hes someone we really liked.

the rest of these guys have upside but there isnt a a gem in the bunch.

mccolgan C
st croix B-
noreau D
ceresnak- incomplete. i know nothing of him so i cannot say

it hurts to see koko go the the stanley cup champs. him and seguin together could be killer. and i really like what tampa did. namestnikov and kucherov both.

the grachev thing isnt a surprise to me at all. i called it a while back. dude wasnt a good hockey player. just like sanguinetti, werek and now grachev, we took a chance and it didnt work out.

lets hope we dont wait too long on mdz and mcilrath before we find out that neither will be the player we had hoped.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 06-25-2011 at 09:44 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why do I get the feeling you had this speech canned no matter who we drafted.
First off, i had this pick over a week before the draft.

I watch the kid play.

People who have watched USNTDP echo the same semtiment.

Another words, people who know about hockey and the Rangers, saw this pick coming, and loved it before it was made, because they know the player.

Second, im not going to get baited into a pointless argument.

If you have nothing informative to contribute other then accusing people of "hyperbole" or insults, im not interested.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
From a philosophical point of view, great draft for me.

Drafted a kid in the first who fell only to an injury, not bad talent.

Drafted a kid in HS who may have slipped only because of low competition.

Two small kids with great talent.

Two late picks for big defensemen who would be very useful if they make it even as third pair d.

Had I drafted, I would have used the same philosophy. In the run up to the draft, I repeatedly called for the drafting of kids with superior talent who fell because of injuries, low competition or small size, and not because of their talent.
In the first round you have to take a player that translates well to the Pro game and fits your club identity. While having high upside.

Miller fits that.

In later rounds going boom or bust is good.

I agree. We got a group of players with potential to boom.

Miller will be serviceable at the least. His only queation mark are the concussions in his past.

Sucks we had to lose Grachev. But he requested to be traded. Cant get much value. We managed to get a player that has potential. Reminds me of Yogan.

Not a lot to be disappointed in. Unless we traded up, not sure what more could be asked for.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
Haha

You've got to love the Devils fan who came in and voted "F."

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This video was posted in another thread by another user.

Interview with Clark about the Miller pick.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/51...lark-interview