HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Magnus Hellberg, G, 38th Overall

Old
06-25-2011, 07:02 PM
AdmiralsFan24

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
He was far from BPA
How do you know they didn't feel he was BPA?

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
How do you know they didn't feel he was BPA?
Well if they thought he was BPA then im gonna be scratching my head on that one for a while.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
glenngineer

The number 38th rated player in the draft was Nick Shore right? He went at 82. Just because guys are rated high doesn't mean they get drafted there.

Who are we going to find in free agency that fits the 40 goal sniper we need without blowing our budget? There is no one out there this year that fits that need. What was Poile supposed to do at 38? Was he going to find a 40+ goal scorer there? Probably not. They don't grow on trees and certainly not that late.

Let's bash Poile for his horrible draft history. He picks Rinne late and the guy is a Vezina trophy finalist. He picks this big kid named Shea Weber in the second round, long before he should've been picked as he wasn't even a top 100 prospect and yet he became a Norris trophy finalist. He plucked a guy named Hornqvist who became a 30 goal scorer for us and he was the last pick in the draft.

Drafts are about building assets, building the farm system, replenishing what may be gone in 3-5 years and having guys ready to fill in. For a team with our budgetary restraints the only way to build and sustain a team is the way Poile does it. I also think some of you forget that Radulov was a risky pick and while he played well while he was here, Poile got burned by wasting a first round pick on him. He played two seasons and he's gone. Talk about a wasted asset and pick but no one complains about that. He took a risk and he got burned. It happens.

While taking a goalie where he did makes some of us scratch our heads, we probably wondered who Rinne was many years ago too. Yeah, we need forwards that can score but maybe he has faith that some of the guys in the system will start moving up the ladder and produce for us. Did anyone think Wilson might start progressing, Beck may be here at some point this year, Latta is coming down the pike as is Watson. While it's not sexy, it's patient. You want a team like Atlanta or Columbus that botches drafts and makes poor trades and signings more than half the time?

Someone should start a thread and make it a game. Someone starts with a good move that Poile made then someone follows with a poor move that Poile made. I'm sure we'll come up with more good moves than bad moves over time.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

fantastic idea glenn. i will do it

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Well if they thought he was BPA then im gonna be scratching my head on that one for a while.
Quote:
"We've had success Pekka (Rinne) and (Anders) Lindback here and I see a lot of similarities with those two goalies and Hellberg's game as far as size, athleticism and ability to read the game and mental state ... definitely," Bergman said. "In my book, I saw a separation between Hellberg and those two (North American goalies). Magnus, in our eyes, is the top goalie in this draft with a separation."
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Osprey

Personally, I like the pick. He appears to be in exactly the same mold as Rinne and Lindback. At 20 years old and already having pro experience, I suspect that he may be intended to fill the spot in the depth chart that Pickard (21) held. He'll be playing in Sweden for at least the next year and then probably move to the AHL, so we're talking about a number of years before he's knocking on the NHL door. If he's that good and eventually forces Poile to trade Rinne or Lindback, then that's a positive, not a negative. Really, though, Poile and company have done such a great job with goaltenders that I really can't second-guess them.

Predators.nhl.com has a video interview up of Hellberg. It's interesting that he notes that he loves country music, especially Travis Tritt. That seems like an odd, somewhat random attraction for a 20-year-old Swedish kid, but what do I know, and I like it, regardless.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:02 PM
masteropiewan

I have been pondering this pick all afternoon. I think it probably for the best. Our farm system does an outstanding job developing goalies and defenders. As pointed out, by the second round, the forwards that are close to being ready to playing in the NHL are likely already grabbed up. I am a little afraid of what our farm system would do to an offensively gifted forward. I often wonder about what kind of player Legwand would be today if he were originally drafted by a team that wasn't so defensively oriented. I think Poile might have some moves in mind, maybe not so much this year, but down the road after we have developed some of these assets to where we can trade to get the offensive talent we need. Let's face it, the team should be in playoff contention for some time which means we aren't going to get a high first round pick without either tanking a sesason or two or horse trading to move up in the draft. I think Poile has to draft where the systems strengths are to maximize the value of the assets in the pipeline for later trades. I'd love for all the draftees to develop and play in Nashville, but that's likely not to happen. Having a deep pipeline of trade worthy defenders and goalies is better than a deep pipeline of so so forwards that won't command much in a trade. Unless Nashville is willing to modify its system with the Admirals and bring in an assistant coach that can help develop offensive prowess in its forwards on top of the defense first system Nashville is committed to, we basically are wasting picks on forwards if good goalies or defenders are available instead. I am sure several exceptions will be pointed out, but my point is, our system is the best at developing goalies and defenders and our goalie and defender picks are very lucky to be in Nashville's system. They may not get to play in Nashville, but they have an excellent chance playing at the NHL level because they are with Nashville. Secondarily, goalies are streaky. They may be elite for one or two seasons, then all of a sudden turn into a sieve or get injured with sports hernia or worse. You almost can't have too many goalies. Several of the big name goalies are nearing retirement and our goalie pool may shrink in a hurry if other teams get desperate.

masteropiewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:39 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, this is Nashville. They are built differently than what you are used to in Atlanta. Offense is a team concept. We are built around goaltending and defense with close to 10 guys a season in double-digits with goals and a smaller group with 20. The defense is expected to score too, but we don't try to outscore teams 6-4, we win games when we hold teams under 3 goals per game...
Didn't notice your post at first but I don't even think Atlanta had a 40 goal scorer after Kovalchuk was traded away. They have some promising talent but even now former coach Craig Ramsay was on the record saying they needed a another goal scorer. Also having a guy who can light up the lamp 40+ times a season can be a good way to market your team(us Thrasher fans know how terrible they were marketed).

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

That's a friggin sweet name..

Magnus HELLBERG

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
That's a friggin sweet name..

Magnus HELLBERG
I know...I LOVE his name. I want his screaming yellow zonkers Preds jersey when he gets here.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I never denied he was best goalie available. Im not to disappointed with the pick, I just thought there were a couple of players better (forwards) like Khoklachev. But your right like you said earlier, none of these guys will have an impact for a couple of years.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:22 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I know...I LOVE his name. I want his screaming yellow zonkers Preds jersey when he gets here.
they can dub in his name on the Kurt Russell Tombstone clip..

You tell 'em Im coming.... and Hellbergs coming with me!!

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Some great info on Hellberg over on the prospects boards starting in January.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=868693

...and a link from that thread with prospect rankings pre-draft having Hellberg at 40 and saying he could be one of the steals of the draft.

http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/search...nus%20Hellberg

Hmm....Well, Mr. Poile, we could have used a forward, but lets see what your next gigantor goalie can do for the Predators .

06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Not sure if you guys are familiar with The Goalie Guild (who IMO is the best writer out there when it comes to goalies), but he is loving this pick. He actually had him rated as the top netminder this draft. Here's some audio talking about Magnus:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/396459-magnu...h-by-nashville

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
alexmanu

After thinking about this pick I think it is a great pick. We have had success with Lindback and Rinne and Hellberg is in the same mould. He might never become our starter with Rinne and Lindback here, but he could become extremely uselful trade bait and maybe he will be a successfull goalie for us, who knows?... I like the pick mainly because our staff seemed to have him in their sights from the beginning of the second round and he was their man, I trust Poile and the staff as they are the reason why we have such a good chain of talent coming through.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote