HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
That's a gross exaggeration. Overpaid, yes..... like most of the July 1 2007 free agents. But garbage? No.

He had one really low scoring year, this year. The other three years, he had more points than Plekanec, averaging 62.3 points per season in 78.7 games versus Plekanec 59.3 points per season in 81 games.

For the Rangers Gomez was leading or second leading point getter his two years there, and second again his first year here.

I understand he is not a $7.3M value at this time and I might not be averse to being rid of his cap hit if we commit to another good 2nd line center, but folks are going way overboard on the Gomez criticism here.

He was disappointing this year, but certainly NOT garbage for four years. A 60 point centreman is not garbage, in fact we are paying one $5M per year and everyone seems quite happy with that.

Gomez still has wheels and heart. If we can't trade him and he rebounds to close to 60 points playing with Gionta and Pacioretty, I wouldn't be totally surprised either.
The key to Gomez is Markov. With Markov's first pass, Gomez doesn't have to carry the puck, both him and Gionta would rush the zone when Markov was on the team in 09-10. It was much different than all the times we've seen Gomez without Markov. That dynamic had Markov as the 2nd best GF average per 60 minutes of ice time among all dmen that season (behind Green, 4,00+ GF per 60 minutes, which is extremely rare for a D, unless he plays with offensive dynamos), and Gomez going 41 points in the last 44 games he played with Markov that season, and Gionta going on a big scoring streak in that sequence. Add a recovered Pac to this dynamic and people will be saying things like "nobody could predict Gomez going back to 70 points", even though that's his pace with Markov in the lineup. Not saying it will happen, but to rightout discount that possibility, is shortsighted, and to think that possibility is unlikely is just being pessimistic, as this is a rather low point in a long sequence of much higher success, logic would be that he has nowhere else to go but up.

I wanted to add to your arguments to the last 4 years of Gomez the other poster refered to as bad... When we acquired Gomez, he was PPG in his last 50 something playoff games. But that's just bad, right.

It's a shame that Gomez is limited to the point that he absolutely needs a D like Markov to support his line, still the results were there, and we do have that D.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Wow, that is quite possibly the most idiotic, yet funniest thing I have ever read on hfboards. 1st off, even salary aside, we're better off with little Desharnais as our 2nd line center. And that the heck is the problem with having cap flexibility during the season?? If somebody is dumb enough to take Gomez, you let him go no questions asked. I can't believe somebody Would say something like that, even worse a week before the free agent frenzy..
I like Desharnais just as much as anyone. But if he's our #2 center coming out of training camp, we are seriously in trouble. Especially now that Eller is injured. We would definitely have to sign a potential #2 or trade for one IMO. If we are serious about making the playoffs next year.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Suppose for a moment that Phoenix isn't trading Yandle. Would Yandle be of any help to Gomez?

Old
06-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Dharvey33

I'd take eric belanger for 2nd 3rd line duties a bit like Stoll is doing for the Kings.

Guy would cost like 1.5 million could play on the second pp wave and second pk wave.

Gomez is better than Belanger but Belanger is cheaper plus i honestly think either Desharnais or Eller will be ready to take the 2nd center spot in the season.

Desharnais has been told everywhere he has gone that he was too slow to small not strong enough. Guess what the guy is in the NHL right now because he never quits. He has a really good playmaking abilitie just like Eller.

Eller is a stud and is slowly learning the north american way of playing Hockey. If he puts on at least 10 pounds of Muscle this year he will be much better.

Plus with the 4 millions let's say ( we must take a salary dump for sure so i'm guessing about 3-4 millions) We can put up a pretty good offer to Brad Richards and who knows?

But i'll believe Gomez is gone when i see a link.

And it might just be the happiest day of my life in the 3 last years. I'll seriously get drunk and at like a total ****** bag while drunk.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:36 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Next year, if Eller or DD develop normally? I would seriously consider it. It would definitively make sense.

Right now? The return on Gomez would be the worst possible, and I'm not yet sold on any of Eller or DD ability to handle difficult minutes consistently. And I want to make the playoffs. So no thanks.
Eller and Desharnais would have to regress to play at the same level as Gomez did last year.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I like Desharnais just as much as anyone. But if he's our #2 center coming out of training camp, we are seriously in trouble. Especially now that Eller is injured. We would definitely have to sign a potential #2 or trade for one IMO. If we are serious about making the playoffs next year.
Yeah, I keep forgetting about Eller's shoulder surgery. But honestly, think about it, are you telling me Desharnais can't have more then 40 points playing with his buddy Pacioretty a leader like Gionta and pp time every game?

The sad part is the one I hope the Habs take care of and give him a spot on the 2nd line is Lars Eller . His last playoffs showed that he is the real deal, build his confidence by giving him good players and living with the mistakes (once he's back from injury obviously).

Old
06-25-2011, 08:45 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
What's everyones ideal situation the number 2 center if Gomez is traded? Would you do it via trade or sign the best avaiable free agent? If so for both, then who would your choices be and what would you propose for the trade of Gomez to anyteam. Honestly and not stupid proposals.
try Eller and, Desharnais, sign a player that can play wing+center say..... Laich.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
How about Gomez and Weber for Hanzal------- 6'6 230 plays C

Old
06-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Lucius

Desharnais as a replacement is a bit much to ask at this stage. That said, if the chance comes to get rid of Gomez, they should take it and gamble on the free agent market. Desharnais likely wouldn't do worse than Gomez did last year. But to move forward, the team needs someone better than that. A lot better.

With Gomez gone, the team could take a run at Richards or Laich. If all fails and Desharnais or a veteran like Belanger has to play the role, so be it. We just better hope that someone better or Leblanc is ready for 12/13.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Yeah, I keep forgetting about Eller's shoulder surgery. But honestly, think about it, are you telling me Desharnais can't have more then 40 points playing with his buddy Pacioretty a leader like Gionta and pp time every game?

The sad part is the one I hope the Habs take care of and give him a spot on the 2nd line is Lars Eller . His last playoffs showed that he is the real deal, build his confidence by giving him good players and living with the mistakes (once he's back from injury obviously).
Anything is possible, I just don't think Desharnais is ready or I'm sorry to say, capable to handle the #2 slot on an everyday basis. He may in the future, I just don't see it right now.

Being successful in the #3 slot, where you don't face the other teams top checking line or top defensive pairing very often is one thing. Moving up and having more offensive responsibilities, while facing tougher opponents is quite another.

I'll say the same about Eller. I personally don't think he's ready. IMO we're looking at a year before we could seriously look at bumping him up to the #2 slot.

Personally I think we should give Gomez one more year. The guy seems to have a lot of pride, so it wouldn't surprise me if he bounces back and puts up second line C type numbers.

Old
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
How about Gomez and Weber for Hanzal------- 6'6 230 plays C
Hanzal is a go to guy for them, I think he'd require more.

Gomez, Weber, Pouliot, and a prospect for Hanzal and a 2nd might do it.

However don't be surprised if we get more for Gomez then we think, Gomez to PHX is someone PHX needs, and wants, not someone we are trying to offload, so he has more weight to his name then we think.

If I were a betting Man, I would imagine Boedker would be a player of interest for the Habs, and giving them a 2nd line center and some cap help, it might be in the cards for the right combo of players and picks

Old
Gally11

Dream land would consist of trading Gomez signing Richards and another top 6 forward.. Plekanec as a second line center would be great for him, patches with richards could translate to something wild, and no more speed skating.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Desharnais as a replacement is a bit much to ask at this stage. That said, if the chance comes to get rid of Gomez, they should take it and gamble on the free agent market. Desharnais likely wouldn't do worse than Gomez did last year. But to move forward, the team needs someone better than that. A lot better.

With Gomez gone, the team could take a run at Richards or Laich. If all fails and Desharnais or a veteran like Belanger has to play the role, so be it. We just better hope that someone better or Leblanc is ready for 12/13.
There are better fallback options than Belanger...Jokinen Connolly Arnott

Old
06-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't mind them alternating between Desharnais and Arnott for second line centerman. Desharnais was awesome in the playoffs before getting injured and you throw Arnott in there, a guy who's not stellar but would do a better job than say...Moen and you slowly bring DD along as second center during the season. And if DD win his post, you have a not too bad third line center in Arnott. Or Arnott/Eller.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Belanger is rumoured to not be the greatest team-mate. I do not have any way of knowing if this is true, but the Habs had ZERO interest in him last year, even though his agent called looking for a contract, and now Phoenix is moving on after one year with the guy.

For that matter, even Washington moved on, despite their stated desire to play better defence, and despite his trying to pretend a deal was done when it was not in order to maybe embarass the club into taking him back.

I too would pass on Belanger.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:58 PM
coolasprICE

Barring injury, DD will have more points than Gomez this year

Anyone up for that bet? H10H???

Old
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

*************** incarcerated bob
@
@0v3rl0rdz Yes Montreal is shopping Gomez all over the league : 60-40 they get some desperate team to bite.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:04 PM
prairie hab

If there is ANY truth to these rumors - we will have to wait. Phoenix and the likes will attempt to add to their rosters through free agency on July 1 and there after. The challenge some of these franchises have is that they are not marquee free agent destinations, thus it makes sense that would take on salary in trades not only to get up to the cap floor, but also to add some quality players albeit at an overpayment.

The Habs would be wise to beef up the centre position, even if marginally if the chance to move Gomez presents itself. Names like Laich, Arnott, Connolly, and Talbot are but a few.

If I'm the Habs, I go hard at Laich - he can play all the forward positions and would be at worst a tremendous top 9 forward (more likely top 6).

I am also hoping for one of: Talbot, Rupp, Konopka for some sandpaper and grit. Talbot and Konopka can also hold their own in the faceoff dot.

And by the way, please sign Wisniewski and Gorges............

Old
06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Anything is possible, I just don't think Desharnais is ready or I'm sorry to say, capable to handle the #2 slot on an everyday basis. He may in the future, I just don't see it right now.

Being successful in the #3 slot, where you don't face the other teams top checking line or top defensive pairing very often is one thing. Moving up and having more offensive responsibilities, while facing tougher opponents is quite another.

I'll say the same about Eller. I personally don't think he's ready. IMO we're looking at a year before we could seriously look at bumping him up to the #2 slot.

Personally I think we should give Gomez one more year. The guy seems to have a lot of pride, so it wouldn't surprise me if he bounces back and puts up second line C type numbers.
Listen, from a realistic stand-point, my wish is to have Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn as our 3rd line. I've been spending the last half hour simply trying to make a point about Gomez and DD . I expect Gomez to be back also.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

You remember that Martin is still coaching right?

I'll take your bet.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:13 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Listen, from a realistic stand-point, my wish is to have Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn as our 3rd line. I've been spending the last half hour simply trying to make a point about Gomez and DD . I expect Gomez to be back also.
Desharnais is not suited to be a winger. Neither is Eller, IMO.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:15 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

I might be interested in taking this bet with you iceman.

However, I'd want to be sober when we talk about what we are laying on the line.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Actually that's why I'd like to see us pick Jagr. Or another top six winger.
So that Kostitsyn could move down to play with those two (once Eller's back).

Haha I hear ya. I'm just doing the same thing. It's not like I'm an expert, I'm just giving my point of view like everyone else.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
otto bond

Gomez is going nowhere! I would be very surprise to see him get traded.
All I hope is that he stays , gets 75 plus pts for the next 3 years. Score at lest 20 goals and make his teammate play better. He had something going with MaxPac .
But if Gomez goes, I'm not sold yet on DD.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
*************** incarcerated bob
@
@0v3rl0rdz Yes Montreal is shopping Gomez all over the league : 60-40 they get some desperate team to bite.
Would you give Brad Richards ( a 8 to 8.5m for 5 or 6 yrs) and then spend the rest of summer to move Gomez or move Gomez and then look for a replacement?

Closed Thread