HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Desharnais is not suited to be a winger. Neither is Eller, IMO.
IMO is right. DD was really good when he got to play on the 2nd line at wing. Who knows, maybe his defensive responsibilities are preventing him from getting more points. I think "just" having to watch his point man has helped Marty St.Louis immensely. The only thing DD would have to do is work his magic in a pre-determined corridor.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:22 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Gomez is going nowhere! I would be very surprise to see him get traded.
All I hope is that he stays , gets 75 plus pts for the next 3 years. Score at lest 20 goals and make his teammate play better. He had something going with MaxPac .
But if Gomez goes, I'm not sold yet on DD.
He's never goona get that kind of production... at best, he's a 55-60 pts scorer...

You're describing a player that doesn't exist. Gomez not only doesn't produce but he's a black hole for his linemates...

DD doesn't have his experience, but I can garantee that he could match Gomez's last year production playing on the 2nd all year long... it would still be crappy production from the 2nd line centre, but at least he won't cost 7+mil.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Desharnais is not suited to be a winger. Neither is Eller, IMO.
Agreed, but neither (Eller/Desharnais) deserve to be on the 4th line. Plus the three of them seemed to show some chemistry during the short period of time they played together on the same line in the regular season.

06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
impudent_lowlife

In the below analysis of Gomez, it states that he is a 2 or 3 trick pony that opposing coaches have figured out how to neutralize:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...mez-connundrum

Old
06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Would you give Brad Richards ( a 8 to 8.5m for 5 or 6 yrs) and then spend the rest of summer to move Gomez or move Gomez and then look for a replacement?
I'm not sure I'd want to handicap the team like that. As much as I think gomez' 7.2 is atrocious, 8.5 is pretty bad too, even when given to a significantly better player. That's ovechkin/crosby/kovalchuk/stamkos territory there, and richards is not in that league. I'd say dump gomez, and see if you can get Richards, if you can't, you try to get a great guy like Laich to fill the hole til Eller or Desharnais are ready. That way you still get a great player and give your young guys room to improve. barring that, you go after a temporary stop gap like Belanger or whoever.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
He's never goona get that kind of production... at best, he's a 55-60 pts scorer...

You're describing a player that doesn't exist. Gomez not only doesn't produce but he's a black hole for his linemates...

DD doesn't have his experience, but I can garantee that he could match Gomez's last year production playing on the 2nd all year long... it would still be crappy production from the 2nd line centre, but at least he won't cost 7+mil.
I understand all of this....wishfull thinking on my part but I wouldn't go on and say he's a black hold for this team. Did you forget one fan favorite this year Max Pac, played on a line with Gomez.
I'm sure you have an explanation for this.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to handicap the team like that. As much as I think gomez' 7.2 is atrocious, 8.5 is pretty bad too, even when given to a significantly better player. That's ovechkin/crosby/kovalchuk/stamkos territory there, and richards is not in that league. I'd say dump gomez, and see if you can get Richards, if you can't, you try to get a great guy like Laich to fill the hole til Eller or Desharnais are ready. That way you still get a great player and give your young guys room to improve. barring that, you go after a temporary stop gap like Belanger or whoever.
Thks for the reply, I threw the figure of 8 to 8.5 as a max figure ( could be less, depends on how many teams get involved) but he will be looking for a 5 or 6 year term. If PG wants to have as many option as possible, gomez will need to be moved in the next week.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
In the below analysis of Gomez, it states that he is a 2 or 3 trick pony that opposing coaches have figured out how to neutralize:

Interesting article.

I agree, it does seem that other teams have figured out what Gomez is going to do when he has the puck. It's almost like they give him the neutral zone, and hang back covering the middle of the ice inside their own zone. Which limits his options, and as the writer mentions "paints him in a corner".

What I'd like to see Gomez do more of is change it up a little bit, maybe drive to the net once in awhile. I know, wishful thinking on my part, but that would definitely help make it harder for opposing teams to defend him. He's got the speed to do it, unfortunately he seems to forget that, once he passes over the opposing teams blue line.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Gomez is going nowhere! I would be very surprise to see him get traded.
All I hope is that he stays , gets 75 plus pts for the next 3 years. Score at lest 20 goals and make his teammate play better. He had something going with MaxPac .
But if Gomez goes, I'm not sold yet on DD.
Brad Richards isn't going to be a 75-point player over the next 3 years. Since 2000, Four Five centres over the age of 31 have managed to score 60 or more points for 3 years.. Expecting 75 points is frankly ridiculous.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

And this proves exactly why Gomez was so succesful when Markov was in the lineup. Gomez can carry the puck, but he's far more effective when someone else passes to him and Gionta further away in the neutral zone to create the rush.

It was the same trick used in Jersey with Neids, and then Rafalski.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Probably.. but in a 30 team league, you just can't pass up guys when they are available. Drafting is great for cities like Edmonton & Winnipeg, but Montreal is at war with Boston and Toronto.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

I think it's exactly what happened during the 39 point season of Plekanec 3 years ago.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 06-25-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 10:33 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I think it's exactly what happened during the 39 point season of Plekance 3 years ago.
You would think that if Gomez wasn't aware about it before. He is now, Patch should help the situation too.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
not quite yoda

The Coyotes board seem open to taking Gomez.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Probably.. but in a 30 team league, you just can't pass up guys when they are available. Drafting is great for cities like Edmonton & Winnipeg, but Montreal is at war with Boston and Toronto.
That depends on if you'd be happy with being a one hit wonder like Tampa or Chicago. Or if you're looking to build a team that will be contenders for a longer period of time like Detroit.

Signing Richards would be great, I'm not going to pretend it wouldn't be. In a couple of years though, he'll start to decline, and we'll be back in the same position we currently have with Gomez. A player who is paid like a top line C, but who produces at a much lower level.

If Richards were younger, say 27. I'd personally camp outside the Bell Centre, so that I could hound Gauthier everyday he came into work. I'm sure coolasprICE and a few others would come join me, especially if it meant that Gomez was leaving.

With Richards being 31 though, I'd be leery of offering him a contract for the rumoured amount and length he's looking for.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
agree!

Old
06-25-2011, 10:51 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
If Richards were younger, say 27. I'd personally camp outside the Bell Centre, so that I could hound Gauthier everyday he came into work. I'm sure coolasprICE and a few others would come join me, especially if it meant that Gomez was leaving. :laugh
Gold.

HF needs to adopt the "like" feature, I have seen other forums do it.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
IMO is right. DD was really good when he got to play on the 2nd line at wing. Who knows, maybe his defensive responsibilities are preventing him from getting more points. I think "just" having to watch his point man has helped Marty St.Louis immensely. The only thing DD would have to do is work his magic in a pre-determined corridor.
DD didn't survive ONE full game at LW and people decided he is good there?

Marty St. Louis is an exception. Almost all super-small players are centres. Furthermore, Desharnais IS a centre, I'm not just spouting theory!

Now, Eller is more likely to make a good winger than Desharnais. So, even though I like Lars' puck-carrying, if the two absolutely had to play together, I would reluctantly move Eller to the wing.

My preference:

Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty
Plekanec-Jagr/UFA/eventually Leblanc-Cammalleri
Eller-Moen-Kostitsyn
Desharnais-White-Pyatt
Pouliot (if signed)

Old
06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Gold.

HF needs to adopt the "like" feature, I have seen other forums do it.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYes:handc lap:

Old
06-25-2011, 10:55 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I think it's exactly what happened during the 39 point season of Plekance 3 years ago.
Plekanec was still in a learning process. It was due to his lack of confidence and experience... both situations are so far apart.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:56 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Agreed, but neither (Eller/Desharnais) deserve to be on the 4th line. Plus the three of them seemed to show some chemistry during the short period of time they played together on the same line in the regular season.
That was ZERO time together, at least with Desharnais on wing.

Desharnais played wing for less than one game, and it was with Gomez and Gionta. He got injured during the game.

Eller and Kostitsyn actually looked good with Moen for a few games. Darche could also look good there.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It would be a huge mistake to boot Eller to wing. He's the only centre prospect that has size and skill. Leblanc will probably become a right winger.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Plekanec was still in a learning process. It was due to his lack of confidence and experience... both situations are so far apart.
Well it's true that it was his only his 4th season and was rather young, but the year before was his breakout year...teams must have figured a way to counter him since his line was one of the best in the league the year before.

So that's what makes me believe that Gomez's situation and Plekanec's are kinda similar. Not comparing the players at all.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It would be a huge mistake to boot Eller to wing. He's the only centre prospect that has size and skill. Leblanc will probably become a right winger.
That's fine, we can do the obvious and assuming Gomez plays up to 2nd line standards with Gio and MaxPac, then Eller centers the third line and uses his great backchecking skills, while Desharnais centers the fourth line, playing sheltered minutes but getting PP time as well, while his linemates get PK time.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That was ZERO time together, at least with Desharnais on wing.

Desharnais played wing for less than one game, and it was with Gomez and Gionta. He got injured during the game.

Eller and Kostitsyn actually looked good with Moen for a few games. Darche could also look good there.
I didn't say that Desharnais played on wing though did I. I said the three of them played together for a short period of time.

So I must be imagining this then? Either that or I'm going to have to contract Dobber and tell him that the "Line Combos" section of his site is incorrect.

1.14% EV 58 DESHARNAIS,DAVID - 81 ELLER,LARS - 46 KOSTITSYN,ANDREI

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

I will agree though that Moen did look good with Eller & Kostitsyn and that Darche could as well. Though I don't see the benefits of sticking Desharnais on the 4th line. I'd much rather having a checking type center filling that role.

Closed Thread