HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rank the Habs draft

View Poll Results: Rank the Habs draft
A 14 7.29%
B 98 51.04%
C 63 32.81%
D 14 7.29%
E 3 1.56%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2011, 06:48 PM
DeVries*

vCash: 500
Posters wants toughness? Many players spoke to the direction 2 years ago about lack of toughness and they did what? Nothing. The players aren't feeling 'protected' is a totally different issue than some forums posters wanting tough guys...

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Another lackluster draft, the team should have made a trade or two. I'm certain it never even crossed their mind to try and trade up, or make a deal. I bet PG had no idea DS was even available from San Jose, he's clueless.

Timmins and PG are so safe and predictable, another reason why this team will reside in mediocrity the next few years if this collection hangs around.
We didn't exactly have a Brent Burns to trade them.

Quote:
I guess I believe Markov has reached his ceiling, and our problem is generating offensive chances down low. I would like to see the team fix our issues up front, I don't see how we can do this without making a move that involves giving up a very good player at some point.

I see Setoguchi as a 65+ point player one day, and expect him to blossom on a team where he is one of the bigger pieces up front.
He was one of the bigger pieces up front for San Jose, and has been nothing but inconsistent there. He has upside, sure, but a trading a top 15 dman in the league for a 2nd line winger is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teztify View Post
Yeah, you'd think we would have learned from Anaheim selecting that talentless scrub Cam Fowler last year....
Fowler's slide was because of an unexpected run on forwards at the top of the draft. Beaulieu was surpassed by no fewer than 3 lower ranked players at his own position. THAT is extremely concerning.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:06 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0246 View Post
Posters wants toughness? Many players spoke to the direction 2 years ago about lack of toughness and they did what? Nothing. The players aren't feeling 'protected' is a totally different issue than some forums posters wanting tough guys...
No it isn't.It's THE reason.We want our players to be able to go to the net,win battles in the corners,clear the front of our net,and not watch our stars and prospects get cheapshotted and/or hurt

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:14 PM
dcyhabs

Offense from the back end

The habs bounced from best to worst in offense once Markov went down. The forwards are not the reason the habs are not scoring goals.

The problem is a combination of the lack of experienced offensive D-men and Martin's system that requires that forwards come way back, and stay back, if the defense is slow.

Get a faster, more effective defense and the offense will work. Bealieu will help in this area, so will Wiz if they sign him. Dumping Wiz to get Laich or other forwards is likely to make the habs score less goals.

1-2 million is not a big deal in cap terms. If Wiz is worth 4 million give him 5 or even 5.5 or 6 and live with it...

An interesting note is that the contracts the Flyers are dumping (Carter and Richards) are good contracts. Stars with a cap hit under 6 million a year are not easy to find. The Flyers got potential value in return, so we will see over the next 5 years or so who had the best talent evaluation.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

D is the grade

Quote:
Another lackluster draft, the team should have made a trade or two. I'm certain it never even crossed their mind to try and trade up, or make a deal. I bet PG had no idea DS was even available from San Jose, he's clueless.

Timmins and PG are so safe and predictable, another reason why this team will reside in mediocrity the next few years if this collection hangs around.
I completely agree, PG is so scared to make a mistake or change his philosophy on small forwards rule the day.

I gave this draft a D

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I'll be nice... B-plus could of traded up a touch. But we will give them a break... for now!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Fowler's slide was because of an unexpected run on forwards at the top of the draft. Beaulieu was surpassed by no fewer than 3 lower ranked players at his own position. THAT is extremely concerning.
Colorado was going with the Bigger more rugged defenseman, hence why they pick Siemens ahead of Beaulieu AND Murphy. Then Murphy fell into Carolina's lap. Then Dallas went with the Huge guy in Oleksiak. You could argue they could have also used Beaulieu but they did just acquire Goligoski from the pens, so they probably wanted to add a physical specimen in Oleksiak.

McIlrath went infront of Fowler last season, does that make Fowler any worse of a pick? Your logic of why the pick is bad is horrible.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Rysmo

vCash: 50
Quote:
To be fair, this years draft was a lot closer in terms of skill of the defensemen than last years. Fowler, Gudbranson and Gormley were expected to be miles ahead of the others, and yet McIlrath was the second one chosen.

It shouldn't be concerning at all. Every player brings a different style, and if the other teams management think that two players are equal, they'll go with the style they need. In my opinion Beaulieu didn't fall to us because he has glaring weaknesses, but because other teams drafted on need, or just chose a different style defenseman.

Rysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Well can we call this year's an unexpected run of toughness on D? 'Cause if the 3 guys you're talking about are Brodin, Oleksiak and Siemens, well you have 1 guy you could say that was chosen based on talent (Brodin), but then the other 2 were all on special size and toughness (even if Oleksiak is not known for it).

But then it also depends which list you are talking about....Beaulieu was behind Olekziak and Siemens on THN. Only Brodin was 4 spots behind. Future Considerations had Siemens just 2 spots behind, Brodin and Olekziak a little further. While it is a little more spectacular on Hockey Prospects. As far as CSS is concerned, well having a Euro list, makes it impossible if they had Brodin ahead of Beaulieu.

Now, it's also entirely possible that Beaulieu was ranked a little too high. Yet, all of those rankings are made by professionnals, just like the teams have. All those guys are just like 4 other teams. I mean, if there's an expansion, while totally in fantasy land, it's possible that this new team hires every guys that works for Future Considerations and make them their scouting group....if so, Beaulieu is #9 overall on their list.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
don't know nearly enough about the prospects to make any kind of educated comment on the players we drafted outside of Beaulieu...

that said, despite my faith in Timmins, and his track record of success with later picks, there are a few question marks for me.

- hard to like the only move considering that we traded out of the 3rd round to get our 4th rounder back, along with another 4th. Was Sopel really that much of a need with Weber/Picard already there? did he really give us more than they could have? my feeling is no, making it another disappointing asset transaction

- it appears (though it may not be the case), that we drafted with organizational need valued above BPA... perhaps that is not the case, perhaps in each round we got the highest player on our scouting list and it just so happened to be heavily dmen... but the fact that our defensive prospect group is thin at least begs the question.
personally i prefer the BPA approach taking precedence. never know what kind of trade/roster move is around the corner which may completely change the strengths/holes in the depth charts, better players you have the more flexibility you have in making moves to address immediate needs (i.e, the draft should be about adding talent to the organization, not filling holes which is what free agency/trades should prioritize).
Did you trust Picard in a playoff series? I didn't. Gauthier went for experience and I didn't bame him. Nor did I entirely trust Weber. I felt the Habs were giving the Bruins odd. As for this draft, I don't see how the Habs could have substantially improved at forward. Some of those drafted Dmen might come through, in which case the Habs wouldn't find themselves in the predicament they were in, relying on ancient backliners for more minutes than they should, I'd like the Habs to be in the position of having other GMs come to them for help at D. The reason the Bolts and the Flyers lost to the Bruins wasn't because they lacked big scorers. Rather, it was because the Bruins were superior in D and G.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Habs

Quote:
He was one of the bigger pieces up front for San Jose, and has been nothing but inconsistent there. He has upside, sure, but a trading a top 15 dman in the league for a 2nd line winger is a bad idea.
Sure, but thats sort of the story with most young players. I really think he'll excel when he's the primary focus.

Anyways, I'm in the minority here, I'm fine with that. It takes a few risky moves here and there to build a franchise. Boston traded Thornton, let Kessel walk.. they made out fine in the end. Philly had the guts to let their two franchise players go, they'll be fine as well.

Serge Savard used to roll the dice, it worked more often than not. PG just tries the safest route, and I don't agree with it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:58 PM
TinordiandSubban

I gave it an A for the big win in the first round, Beaulieu sliding to the Habs was a huge plus.

Like always, Timmins picks are puzzling at first but when you do the research you see the reasoning.

Building a very mobile and skilled D corps that can stand up for itself.

Beaulieu-Nygren
Didier-Dietz
Sullivan

Plus Pribyl and Archambault have off the charts upside based on pure skill.

Sure Minnesota added Coyle, Brodin and Phillips to their prospect pool in a night's work but no one can touch Timmins for late round excellence and looks like he's outdone himself this time.

Think it's a great draft result

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
I gave it an A for the big win in the first round, Beaulieu sliding to the Habs was a huge plus.

Like always, Timmins picks are puzzling at first but when you do the research you see the reasoning.

Building a very mobile and skilled D corps that can stand up for itself.

Beaulieu-Nygren
Didier-Dietz
Sullivan

Plus Pribyl and Archambault have off the charts upside based on pure skill.

Sure Minnesota added Coyle, Brodin and Phillips to their prospect pool in a night's work but no one can touch Timmins for late round excellence and looks like he's outdone himself this time.

Think it's a great draft result
Geez I didn't realize that for Minny...what a great weekend....

Old
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Would have been better if the BPA at #17 was a big power forward who can score... otherwise Beaulieu was a pleasant surprise that could make a B+ if possible.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Wrapped up my thoughts in my latest blog entry, on this year's draft.

http://hometownanalysis.blogspot.com...t-results.html

Old
06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Guilliam

Where's the "too soon to tell" option?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Ya I'd trust the guys traveling all over the world watching hundreds of games and are being paid to do this over a couple of people on a message board who only read a paragraph long scouting report.

Magnus Nygren is under contract with Farjestad until 2013, but if what I assume is correct, we can sign him to a conctract and have him come over here if we'd like. Would you guys rather he played another year in Sweden, or would you rather he came over to Hamilton this year?

Also, another assumption; Josiah Didier and Colin Sullivan aren't scheduled to play college hockey until the 2012-2013 season. Could they theoretically play in the CHL this year? I don't expect them to, but it'd be cool.
Didier was scheduled to go to DU in 2012 but it appears he changed plans or the coach wanted him a year sooner. He's going to DU in the fall as of yesterday at least.

Sullivan I'd rather see in the CHL then back the USHS but who knows if he would consider that route, got to be hard to pass up a chance to get an education at one of the top universities in the world. Perhaps if he was a 1st rounder it would be a little more likely but who knows what impact getting drafted by the Habs will have on him and what if any say they have for where they would like him to play.

Nygren since there's currently a transfer agreement with Sweden, we can sign him and either bring him over or lend him back to SEL. Hamilton at this time is thin on defense, granted that could change depending on what PG does this summer but if he looks good then I'm all for bringing him over.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:43 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0246 View Post
Except if TT had drafted Godzilla and his relatives it wouldn't have helped. All the players drafted this year except maybe at best a handful would only start to trickle into the pro lineups in 2,3 years.

I agree the Habs forwards need help up front but that's Gauthier's job - trades & UFA signings.

Also weren't all the Habs picks over 6 feet except for Archambault.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

I'll answer in 5 years.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Cupmonger

I put a C. I liked the first pick, well what I hear from him. And honestly I don't know anything of the other pics as I haven't had the time to. But I feel we got too much D. I suppose this helps us find replacement for some of our aging D. I do wish we could have had a few wingers though. Maybe after looking more into our pics, I'll change my grade.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Didier was scheduled to go to DU in 2012 but it appears he changed plans or the coach wanted him a year sooner. He's going to DU in the fall as of yesterday at least.

Sullivan I'd rather see in the CHL then back the USHS but who knows if he would consider that route, got to be hard to pass up a chance to get an education at one of the top universities in the world. Perhaps if he was a 1st rounder it would be a little more likely but who knows what impact getting drafted by the Habs will have on him and what if any say they have for where they would like him to play.

Nygren since there's currently a transfer agreement with Sweden, we can sign him and either bring him over or lend him back to SEL. Hamilton at this time is thin on defense, granted that could change depending on what PG does this summer but if he looks good then I'm all for bringing him over.
Am I doing this right? Denver will have the following d-men next year:

Out of the returnees: Donovan/Lee/Makowski/Philipps/
And as freshmen: Mayfield/Didier/Laleggia

Now, that's 7 d-men. And you guess that as a freshman, Mayfield has the upper hand, so a battle for #6 between Didier and Laleggia? Though if the coach ask you to come....you probably have a guaranteed spot so it shouldn't be no biggie.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
bleuetbio

Im pretty statisfy with the drat. Of course, we all want big center-wings because we have a massive lach there and it was tough to pass on some on them like McNeill the 1st day and Ambroz, Labate, Kessy,Tvrdon, Mersch, Noebels, Le Sieur, and some others smallers but talented like Boucher and Hudon in the 4th and 5th round but they should know what they do and if they pass on them like many gms around the league, there's a reason why. If I am the GM I would pick Labate, Ambroz and Kessy or Tvrdon in the 4th and everybody put A+ mark on the board, but right now everybody are pisted because we still have the hunger for a new MaxPac, a Carter or a Lucic.

That said, Gauthier said that he prefers to pick tiny players because a big player is maybe at his peak.... I realy dont like this statement. Should I understand that we'll always prefer a small player to a taller with same talent because we think the smaller can be automaticly better in the future. Strange!

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

On first glance I like the Beaulieu and Prybl? picks. I'll need to learn more about the others.

Timmins has a good track record. If I would have a small constructive criticism it would be to lay off a bit from the US High Schools (and the USHL) in the late rounds (R5 to R7). They have a very poor track record in the last 5 years that late in the draft... Concentrate alot more on the CHL (esp. the Q), in Sweden, and in US Colleges. If trends are worth anything, we're much more likely to find a late round gem taking that road.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
If I would have a small constructive criticism it would be to lay off a bit from the US High Schools (and the USHL) in the late rounds (R5 to R7). They have a very poor track record in the last 5 years that late in the draft... Concentrate alot more on the CHL (esp. the Q), in Sweden, and in US Colleges. If trends are worth anything, we're much more likely to find a late round gem taking that road.
So change the it works right now, because the reason why we and the majority take a people from there is because we have more time to wait before giving them a Pro contract. when everybody will be on the same line, things will be a lot different I think.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:58 AM
DeVries*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Except if TT had drafted Godzilla and his relatives it wouldn't have helped. All the players drafted this year except maybe at best a handful would only start to trickle into the pro lineups in 2,3 years.

I agree the Habs forwards need help up front but that's Gauthier's job - trades & UFA signings.

Also weren't all the Habs picks over 6 feet except for Archambault.
6 feet and over is everything but a garantee of toughness...

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote