HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Do Not Qualify Gilroy, Turns Down Rangers Other Offer will Become an UFA

Old
06-25-2011, 03:12 PM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
I thought he was decent the first two games of the Caps series. McCabe made him look even better, and he was still awful for the most part. Glad that he's gone

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
wait we made him an offer and HE rejected it? OMG I hope he has to settle for league minimum
He didn't learn a thing from Zherdev

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
wait we made him an offer and HE rejected it? OMG I hope he has to settle for league minimum
He rejected it because by doing so he becomes a free agent. Why stay here when he knows he has no shot of making the team?

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:19 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
He didn't learn a thing from Zherdev
zherdev took us to arbitration and became a free agent late in the summer. not a similar situation to gilroy

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
zherdev took us to arbitration and became a free agent late in the summer. not a similar situation to gilroy

More a comment about not knowing his own worth.

Zherdev thought he was worth more than he was. Took us to arbitration, where NYR walked away from him... he then didn't get a offer he thought was sufficient for his skills from an NHL team, went to the KHL and then came back for significantly less than we offered him prior to arbitration.

Gilroy will test the free agent market and find out what he's worth.

(I betting less than he thinks).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

He wasn't that bad of a defender. He had some skills to work on. I'd still take him over McCabe anyday. Good luck to him.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:43 PM
ruckus*

And to think of all the time wasted trying to explain to Gilroy defenders how terrible he was. Not even worth his QO in management's eyes.

Not unexpected though. Anyone with eyes and an understanding of our organization depth could see this coming a light year away.

Was irritated about Grachev until I heard he wanted out. Now I say good riddance. Gilroy knows he's not good enough to compete here. SEEE YAAAA.

Keep upping the talent level. Keep bringing guys who want to work and want to be here. Weed out the dead weight.

Good job.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Surprised we even made him an offer to be honest.

With what it sounds to be Staal, Girardi, Sauer, McD, Erixon to be locks for the squad, that leaves one spot as we really dont carry a spare D.

I'm pretty sure MDZ gets it, but ya never know. I'll take MDZ over Gilroy every day of the week.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
OverTheCap

I'm curious to know how much Sather offered him. He isn't worth more than $1 million, and if he thinks he will receive a contract that's close to his QO from a different team, he's out of his mind.

I truly believe the Rangers gave Gilroy a good opportunity to play. Other teams would have given up on him a lot sooner. He should be thankful that the Rangers not only had patience with him, but extended him any sort of offer after his contract ran out.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:24 PM
NYRangers16

Glad to hear we are saving the cap space...guys like gilroy are available all the time(just think Eminger).

Plus it opens a spot for MDZ and Vtank...good job Glen, just wish it didnt take this long.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
94now

He still can come back and take whatever Sather offered. we can use him. why not to check what other teams think of him?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Garfinkel1

He's gonna be a good NHLer. Sadly, no room on our team.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:38 PM
eco's bones

He improved some last year but it's not a big loss. Can't for the life of me think that Valentenko, Kundratek or maybe even Pashnin couldn't do better.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wow it seems I never agree with the majority around here, oh well.

To me Gilroy starting showing signs at the end of getting it. We did want him back but not at his old cap hit. Too bad because I think Gilroy is gonna have a break out year next season. I was hoping he would take the pay cut for just one season and see how it goes for his contract next year. He has to understand he was overpaid for his production the last two seasons so why not give the team a year of fair pay to try to earn your cash the year after?

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:49 PM
XLJ

Not a fan of Gilroy, glad he is gone.
Between Erixon, Valentenko, Del Zotto, Kundratek, Pashnin (probably a long shot) I think we have enough options to fill the bottom pair.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

He'll get 1.5m from FLA or another team needing to add a little salary.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
He'll get 1.5m from FLA or another team needing to add a little salary.
It's still a pay cut. I'm not sure what # the Rangers offered but why not take the pay cut and stay in the system your used to?

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
It's still a pay cut. I'm not sure what # the Rangers offered but why not take the pay cut and stay in the system your used to?
Maybe he almost knows the Rangers love Erixon, Del Zotto will get a real long look and you would think would be motivated, and Sather will probably bring in a cheap vet dman. Might be better opportunities to play every night elsewhere.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:41 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Probably because the system he's used to is one where he only dressed for 58 games. I can certainly see him wanting to go somewhere where he'll not only make more money, but also get a bigger role.

I say good riddance. He may have showed something in the playoffs, but it was really too little too late, imo.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:46 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Wow it seems I never agree with the majority around here, oh well.

To me Gilroy starting showing signs at the end of getting it. We did want him back but not at his old cap hit. Too bad because I think Gilroy is gonna have a break out year next season. I was hoping he would take the pay cut for just one season and see how it goes for his contract next year. He has to understand he was overpaid for his production the last two seasons so why not give the team a year of fair pay to try to earn your cash the year after?
A break out season? What exactly would define that?

Regardless, even if he has an improved season, I doubt it's all that relevant. There isn't a single good team out there that would put their eggs in his basket as someone they're counting on.

If he signs with a playoff team it will be as a 10 minute guy/7th D. Nothing that would give him a chance to have a break out year.

If he's playing consistent minutes on a nightly basis, it's going to be for a team that's not very good.

Either way, we win. He loses.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
does the qualifying offer increase the contract by 100% meaning if we have Cally signed to a 2.3 mil contract and we qualify him, does he go up to 4.6 or does it mean we are offering him the same contract he first had, which is 2.3?
Qualifying offers are based on the actual salary earned in the prior year.

If the salary is 660k or less, the qualifying offer must be 110% of the prior year salary. So if the player made 500k, the QO must be 550k (500 * 1.1).

If the salary is over 660k but less than 1 mil, the QO must be 105%. If the player made 800k, his QO would be 840k.

If the salary is 1 mil or more, the QO is 100%. Gilroy made 2.1 mil, so his QO would have been 2.1 mil.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:16 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Glad to hear we are saving the cap space...guys like gilroy are available all the time(just think Eminger).

Plus it opens a spot for MDZ and Vtank...good job Glen, just wish it didnt take this long.
If this happened earlier? We would have a crappy free agent signed for a lot of money!

Now atleast it leads us to Mr. Brad Richards Awesomeness.

Imagine, Richards, to Dubinsky and SCOOOORE.. ITS A POOOOWER PLAY GOOOAL!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if girlroy can play last year then surely vtank or ktek can play this year.

not sad hes gone. never a big fan. at all.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:30 PM
NYRKING30

im not a gilroy fan nor ever was to begin with. i thought he was a waste last year both financially and rose spot wise. im glad hes gone good riddance

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:02 PM
dynamoovechkin

Never quite sure why Gilly got the whipping boy treatment in NY. While he didn't have a great sophomore year, at least he showed signs of progressing as opposed to MDZ who flamed out spectacularly (sadly). I thought Gilly was good down the stretch and very good in the playoffs- no surprise as he has always been a big game player.

That said, 2.1MM for a 6th or 7th Dman is just out of the question. Also, I think Slats is looking for MDZ to take that spot- and he gives us a lot of what Gilly could have, plus QB the PP.

I felt this way when San Jose let Matt Carle go, and now he is top pairing Dman on a very good Philly team, although he gets to play with Chris "Pure Evil" Pronger.

It says here that Gilly will catch on with a team and show that he is a workaday NHLer. I thought he had a great attitude, never became a problem when he was scratched, and worked his tail off to improve- and succeeded at it! He just wasn't physical enough, didn't have as good a shot as he needed to. Not a Torts guy. I for one feel like we gave up on him too early due to the contract numbers. He will blossom into a pretty good Dman with another team, the kid has character and talent- you watch.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote